Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,117 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination (17333 Views)

What Is So Special About D Gizzard Of The Chicken In Igbo Land. / Igbos, Will You Marry An Osu? / The Superstition Of The Osu Cast System In Igbo Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by snazzy82(m): 9:54am On Nov 13, 2008
lets talk about this mayhem that is causing much discrimination in our society.in igbo land, some people are being criticized b/c of one rubbish olden and ekeic thread that their fore-fathers committed one atrocity or the other thereby sidelining them from becoming say igwe(king) or inter-marrying them or sharing views/ideas, selling portions of land to them and so on.plz i want us to comment heavily on this. i m not a n outcast but i have i sweet angel but my dad sayz i cant marry her simply because she is an outcast(osu)

Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by untainted: 9:13pm On Nov 13, 2008
it's a very crucial matter.
where are the igbo folks here?
say something please.
I know a little about osu but i need someone to give an elaborate illustration of the whole system
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by LadyT(f): 9:14pm On Nov 13, 2008
Its olden day rubbish which Im sure will die out with all the other rubbish Nigerian customs.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by Hotstepper(f): 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2008
sad
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by romeo(m): 5:31pm On Nov 14, 2008
ewoooo Nneamaka !! biko kwugharia ihea ikwuru sad sad
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by ezeagu(m): 5:38pm On Nov 14, 2008
The truth is no one really understands it.

Read this http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article04//indexn2_html?pdate=171108&ptitle=Twilight%20of%20the%20Osu%20caste%20system
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by lucabrasi(m): 5:43pm On Nov 14, 2008
ill wait for igbo s to elaborate on it before making my comments,
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by toshmann(m): 5:59pm On Nov 14, 2008
hmmn, another osu thread huh? there have been threads upon threads upon threads about this osu thingy, pls if you really wanted to read about them you shoulda done a little search even here in nairaland to get loads of info about it.

i have said it b4, and i say it again, this osu thing . . "the igbos' original sin" . . will only die away when people forget about it. each time we talk about it, it ressurrects. and nobody has the answer to this osu question. people can only come here to condemn it or to defend igbos or to abuse igbos but they dont offer real solutions to the problem.

stop talking about it, with education, modernization, etc it will die off slowly. it may take 100yrs or 200 yrs. but it will die off. however if we continue talking about it, it keeps coming alive. now ponder this . . .

200yrs ago, my ancestors will not eat or do business with osus. they wont live beside them etc. today, igbos do "everything" with osus. the only thing remaining is intermarriage. we sleep with them grin , live beside them (at least in the cities and students in schools) eat with them, work in the same offices with them . . some osus (names withheld) have become governors, some have become knights in the church etc. it will die off if nobody talks about it.

so please, help the igbos to bury their shame. . . stop talking about it.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by ezeagu(m): 6:01pm On Nov 14, 2008
Again, the truth is no one really understands it.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by lucabrasi(m): 6:05pm On Nov 14, 2008
r you sure you r not being diplomatic with that answer of it being mis understood??if no one understands it then why is it still prevalent in this day n age?
@tosh
can you pls break the osun caste thing down to lay man s understandinng,is it like the upper and lower caste system of the indians?
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by ezeagu(m): 7:40pm On Nov 14, 2008
lucabrasi:

if no one understands it then why is it still prevalent in this day n age?

Because NO ONE understands it!!!!

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article04//indexn2_html?pdate=171108&ptitle=Twilight%20of%20the%20Osu%20caste%20system
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by toshmann(m): 7:41pm On Nov 14, 2008
ezeagu is right, no igbo guy in this day and age fully understands the osu thing. our parents/grand parents/uncles etc tell us conflicting stories. my mother said she does not even understand it fully. she heard it first when she was applying to be a teacher in the 60s. that na my mama o, wey be another generation.

this lends credence to my earlier statement that this thing will die off if no one talks about it. imagine if my mother never heard about it.

anyway, to answer ur question, in summary, there were igbos who were reserved to serve the gods (just like the jews had the levites) they were to live near the shrines and serve the juju/gods/amadioha whatever. they were consecrated to serving these gods and to be separated from the people so they can focus. but no one wants that job. just like becoming a priest/nun/pastor/ today when young guys want to do business and make money. so they decided to force some people to do the job. usually people conquered in battle . . bla . . bla . . bla . . that was how the separetion began

then somewhere along the centuries, separation mysteriously became segregation . .etc . .etc . .etc things were abused, evil kings came and went and differetn blends were given to culture and then there was stigmatisation. then came the 20th century and toshmann was born. 1st heard about it when i was 20yrs old and i never knew they were there in my village until i lost my mum. i noticed some people were not allowed to come close to my mum's  funeral stuff. when i asked, i got muffled answers and i got the message.

ask another igbo guy about this osu thing and i bet u'll get a different story. meaning, we dont really know what happened. and  . . wait for it . . . it's not only osu o grin  (this is no laughing matter) there is also umeh, . . i hear those ones are even worse off, osus will not interact with them at all grin (toshmann stop laughing)

confusion
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by ezeagu(m): 7:43pm On Nov 14, 2008
toshmann:

ezeagu is right, no igbo guy in this day and age fully understands the osu thing. our parents/grand parents/uncles etc tell us conflicting stories. my mother said she does not even understand it fully. she heard it first when she was applying to be a teacher in the 60s. that na my mama o, wey be another generation.

this lends credence to my earlier statement that this thing will die off if no one talks about it. imagine if my mother never heard about it.

anyway, to answer ur question, in summary, there were igbos who were reserved to serve the gods (just like the jews had the levites) they were to live near the shrines and serve the juju/gods/amadioha whatever. they were consecrated to serving these gods and to be separated from the people so they can focus. but no one wants that job. just like becoming a priest/nun/pastor/ today when young guys want to do business and make money. so they decided to force some people to do the job. usually people conquered in battle . . bla . . bla . . bla . . that was how the separetion began

then somewhere along the centuries, separation mysteriously became segregation . .etc . .etc . .etc things were abused, evil kings came and went and differetn blends were given to culture and then there was stigmatisation. then came the 20th century and toshmann was born. 1st heard about it when i was 20yrs old and i never knew they were there in my village until i lost my mum. i noticed some people were not allowed to come close to my mum's  funeral stuff. when i asked, i got muffled answers and i got the message.

ask another igbo guy about this osu thing and i bet u'll get a different story. meaning, we don't really know what happened. and  . . wait for it . . . it's not only osu o grin  (this is no laughing matter) there is also umeh, . . i hear those ones are even worse off, osus will not interact with them at all grin (toshmann stop laughing)

confusion

Thank you!  smiley

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article04//indexn2_html?pdate=171108&ptitle=Twilight%20of%20the%20Osu%20caste%20system
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by ChinenyeN(m): 9:18pm On Nov 14, 2008
ezeagu & toshmann, thank you both. It is very true that no one understands it. That's partly the reason why I plan on doing some extensive research about it. I get sick and tired of seeing this Osu issue being rasied over and over again, and seeing people say the same things over and over again. It's proof that no one really understands it. I think one big reason as to why is when the Europeans came to present-day Nigeria. . . anyway, thank you two for finally saying that.

1 Like

Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 20, 2008
I have a question.

How do you know when somebody is an Osu?
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi6(f): 6:54pm On Nov 20, 2008
sugabelly:

I have a question.

How do you know when somebody is an Osu?

You absolutely have no way of knowing just by seeing the person.In places that have Osu they already know the families that are said to be Osu.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi6(f): 7:02pm On Nov 20, 2008
toshmann:

then somewhere along the centuries, separation mysteriously became segregation . .etc . .etc . .etc things were abused, evil kings came and went and differetn blends were given to culture and then there was stigmatisation. then came the 20th century and toshmann was born. 1st heard about it when i was 20yrs old and i never knew they were there in my village until i lost my mum. i noticed some people were not allowed to come close to my mum's funeral stuff. when i asked, i got muffled answers and i got the message.

ask another igbo guy about this osu thing and i bet u'll get a different story. meaning, we don't really know what happened. and . . wait for it . . . it's not only osu o grin (this is no laughing matter) there is also umeh, . . i hear those ones are even worse off, osus will not interact with them at all grin (toshmann stop laughing)

confusion

I, on the other hand knew at some point in elementary school of the term "osu" but up till today,I don't know a single person that is said to be Osu and has never witnessed any injustice on anyone based on osuship status.
I remember asking my dad to explain it and I know he said something about families whose fore fathers served in the shrines who later on became discriminated against as not worthy to mix with other people.
This is Ironic because in India the families of the priests and their servants are the highest caste in India.

The names Nwosu,Osuagwu,Osueke have nothing to do with being an Osu just like Ogundipe and Ogunlola are not necessarily worshippers of the Ogun idol.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by osisi6(f): 7:03pm On Nov 20, 2008
This topic has been discussed a million times.
Just use search and you may already have all the responses you want.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by Nobody: 7:48pm On Feb 08, 2009
This will become the main thread for any topic related to Osu in igboland.

Happy discussion.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by preselect(m): 9:37pm On Feb 08, 2009
the less we talk about this osu thing, the earlier it will go . . . .
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by NegroNtns(m): 11:45pm On Feb 08, 2009
Some of the people in here disowning knowledge of the osu caste are some of the self-ascribed experts in NL when the discussion is on Yoruba and Hausa customs. . . but when your own rooster come home to roost, all of a sudden no one knows, your memory fails you. You don't know the history and cannot articulate the origins of your own culture and custom. It's either the osu caste is a denigrate like the gypsies are in Europe and the shame of admitting that is a torment that you are not willing to bear and thus choosed to sacrifice your acknowledgement of agelong traditions in Igboland nonchallantly to "nobody knows". Oh wow, but you can go back hundreds of years and tell us with maps and illustrations the origin of Arab/Israeli conflict.

If ignoring the osu label will eventually sweep it away into memory, why then do you keep rescusitating Biafra, especially the violence of war. . . why not equally let Biafra rest and pass into memory? Somebody is going to tell us the osu caste and its social status in Igboland, you are not walking away easily on this one.

2 Likes

Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by preselect(m): 5:28am On Feb 09, 2009
how did biafra come into this thread?

osu is best not discussed. osu is a sad story, but the igbos did not keep written records, so everyone heard of it by oral education down the generations. hence no one is sure exactly what happened and how.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by Jaylon(m): 5:54am On Feb 09, 2009
I did a search on the net and found this:

The Osu Caste System in Igboland: Discrimination Based on Descent

The Osu, by definition, is a people sacrificed to the gods in Igbo community. And they assist the high priest of the traditional religion to serve the deities or the gods in their shrine. It is the belief of many Igbo traditionalists that the deities, which were (and are still) perceived in some quarters as being very powerful, would wreck havoc in the society, if they are not appeased.

In some special circumstances, those who hold the traditional beliefs of the Igbos could transform a Diala who committed certain atrocities against the land, into an Osu. This process involved intricate rituals (offering of libations and sacrificing animals to the earth goddess). Some of the ancestors of the present-day Osu people inherited their dehumanizing social status this way.

Because of many oral interpretations of the construct, the Osu has various definitions. It has been defined as a ‘cult slave,’ a living sacrifice,’ an ‘untouchable,’ ‘outcast,’ ‘owner’s cult,’ ‘a slave of the deity,’ and a ‘sacred and holy being.’ 3 These names mean the same: it is an abomination in the Igbo society for the Diala to marry Osu.

All human beings are created equal, but human experiences are heterogeneous. Some people have had it rough all their life on earth, while others do not have a lot to complain about. Naturally, life has the same meaning for everyone, but the Osu caste system in Igboland seems to have changed the meaning of life for a group of people branded Osu

http://uk.geocities.com/internationaldalitsolidarity/cerd/dikeosu2002.html
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by presido1: 4:50pm On Feb 09, 2009
The Osu cast system in Igboland is one of the wrongs our fore-fathers did which will take more than expected time to wipe out entirely. Its dieing a slow death but where we still see it today is in the marriage aspect of it. It will take longer than we know to wipe it out in marital levels. Its only 0.0005% or less of the entire Igbo race that will chose to inter-marry due to the stick you will receive from friends and family. They might not tell u directly but its very clear to u that u are being ostracised by ur own people.

Osu we understand are the people sacrificed to the gods(arusi) in the olden days, They saved the gods by keeping the shrine clean, serving the chief priest and all that which makes others to see them as low/out cast. Hence the discrimination in schools, market place and MARRIAGE.

There is this other one they call UMEH as Tosh said earlier, Osu discriminate against them as well. Osu father will advice his/her child not to marry them. To be honest i don't know the origin of UMEH and have not heard anybody discuss the origin before. What borders me most is while we are trying to eradicate the OSU cast of a thing they(Osu's) are  casting the UMEH's. So who is casting who?

As for the names with OSU as prefix or suffix, it gat nothing to do with the OSU issue, i have never seen an osu that answers one of the names.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by NegroNtns(m): 7:37pm On Feb 09, 2009
Thanks for that link.

I sympathize but I am not apologetic for sounding tribal here, heck, the fact that, intra-Igbo, you will even discriminate along blood line gives me immunity to attack you without fear of any remorse. We are talking here about those who unjustly and ruthlessly condemned men and women of certain traits within their ethnic group and the children and fore children of those persons to treatments undignified and subhuman and forced it upon them as a birthright to remain in that state of mind and fate without hope of redemption but only in death. Speaking of death. . . do the osus have separate graveyards too or can they be buried anywhere regardless of status? There is a victim and there is a victimizer. Shame on those who had the power and the might to uplift their brothers and sisters but instead trodded upon their natural given rights to liberties and independent spirit.

I have heard of osu before but never paid it attention because I thought it was a cult in Igboland. Every tribe have their cults but I am very familiar with Yoruba and Hausa tribes and neither one of those have a discrimination based on birthrights where people are forbidden to interact or cross breed beyond status boundaries. I am shocked!

Now, so there has to be a far deeper problem, for every paragraph written there has to be much more that is left undisclosed. To think that in 2009 a freeborn Igbo carries a curse and risks ostracisation for marrying a osu then there is a spiritual dimension to that bloodline that makes it abominable to mix blood with them. What is it?

Far worse, why should a Yoruba person, man or woman, marry an Igbo if the risk exist that he/she is marrying a cursed bloodline? As I said in the opening, I am not apologetic for my tribal tone but I sympathize with the victims. This discussion need to go in depth. I sincerely feel very sad for those in here that may be osu bloodline and please do not identify who you are, don't do it, it might come back to haunt you amongst your own ethnic people. This is like a white American saying interracial marriage between whites and blacks are forbidden and its a code violation punishable by lifelong exile for offenders.

1 Like

Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by asha80(m): 7:53pm On Feb 09, 2009
@NegroNts

If you are done look for a rope.You know what to do next.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by NegroNtns(m): 8:33pm On Feb 09, 2009
Yep! Give it to the victimized and point them to the location of those who made it difficult for them to live as free born.

Are you one of the victimizers? Let me know your location. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by ChinenyeN(m): 8:36pm On Feb 09, 2009
pres-elect:

the less we talk about this osu thing, the earlier it will go . . . .
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by KarmaMod(f): 8:38pm On Feb 09, 2009
lmao denial isnt gonna change anything.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by ChinenyeN(m): 8:42pm On Feb 09, 2009
KarmaMod, how are you?

And no one's denying anything. It's just as simple as stated before, there's too much conflicting information about Osu for anyone to definitely call it. When I first heard about it, and asked about it, I was told something somewhat different from what's been stated here. So, because there isn't an agreement as to the what's, how's, who's, when's, where's about Osu, then it's better left not spoken of. Time erodes all things. So with time, it'll be forgotten.
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by preselect(m): 9:39pm On Feb 09, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

Thanks for that link.

I sympathize but I am not apologetic for sounding tribal here, heck, the fact that, intra-Igbo, you will even discriminate along blood line gives me immunity to attack you without fear of any remorse. We are talking here about those who unjustly and ruthlessly condemned men and women of certain traits within their ethnic group and the children and fore children of those persons to treatments undignified and subhuman and forced it upon them as a birthright to remain in that state of mind and fate without hope of redemption but only in death. Speaking of death. . . do the osus have separate graveyards too or can they be buried anywhere regardless of status? There is a victim and there is a victimizer. Shame on those who had the power and the might to uplift their brothers and sisters but instead trodded upon their natural given rights to liberties and independent spirit.

I have heard of osu before but never paid it attention because I thought it was a cult in Igboland. Every tribe have their cults but I am very familiar with Yoruba and Hausa tribes and neither one of those have a discrimination based on birthrights where people are forbidden to interact or cross breed beyond status boundaries. I am shocked!

Now, so there has to be a far deeper problem, for every paragraph written there has to be much more that is left undisclosed. To think that in 2009 a freeborn Igbo carries a curse and risks ostracisation for marrying a osu then there is a spiritual dimension to that bloodline that makes it abominable to mix blood with them. What is it?

Far worse, why should a Yoruba person, man or woman, marry an Igbo if the risk exist that he/she is marrying a cursed bloodline? As I said in the opening, I am not apologetic for my tribal tone but I sympathize with the victims. This discussion need to go in depth. I sincerely feel very sad for those in here that may be osu bloodline and please do not identify who you are, don't do it, it might come back to haunt you amongst your own ethnic people. This is like a white American saying interracial marriage between whites and blacks are forbidden and its a code violation punishable by lifelong exile for offenders.

1. you dont have to apologise for sounding tribalistic. one cant apologise for what one is

2.nobody condemned anybody. and can u name the "undignified and subhuman" treatments metted to any of these people? you obviously ran here to make trouble when you could not tender any sound argument somewhere else.

3. the only discrimination against osu people as at 2009 is marriage (to the best of my knowledge) if you want to marry families will kick against marrying one of them. they are not being denied jobs, they are not asked to go to the back of the bus, they are not denied services . . . . as a matter of fact no one can identify them. it is not written in the face, or height or skin color. the only obstacle as of today is marriage. and marriage is a choice. if you bring somebody your family doesnt like, you can either damn your family or damn the wedding. it is your choice, there is not jail term for either decision.

4. there have been osu governors(names withheld) osu pastors, osu priests etc many of them are rich. many were educated earlier than non-osus. b/c when the white men came to the east, and wanted people to work with, most of the villages gave out the osus and the white men educated them, converted them into xtianity and got them exposed earlier than others . . . . today, over 200yrs later where is the inhuman treatment you talk about?

5. nevertheless, it is a negative stain on igbo culture. and no one is denying it. the generation that started it is long dead. my generation doesnt care much, after all we have slept with all sorts of girls in school and who knows who is osu? by culture, if u sleep with one it is an abomination. but c'mon that is dead today.

6. dont ask dont tell policy will eliminate it.

7. negro-ntns. . . . go get a job cool
Re: Osu(out Cast) And Real Born In Igbo Land Discrimination by preselect(m): 9:39pm On Feb 09, 2009
KarmaMod:

lmao denial isnt gonna change anything.

who is denying it? hope u can read?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hoodlums Disrupt Chieftaincy Installation By Olubadan / Photos Of 2018 Igue Festivals In Edo State / Hausa And Igbo - Anthem And Pledge - Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.