Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? (1078 Views)

Plateau Killings: Bishop Oyedepo Spits Fire, Lays Curse On Killers / Father Mbaka’s Curse On Bishop Obinna And Okorocha Has Come To Pass / Lady Lays Curse On Stephanie Otobo, Begs Apostle Suleman For Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by kobosmalls: 5:48pm On Apr 05, 2016
Why did the holy bible lie about the serpent/snake eating dust for the rest of its life. Genesis 3:14.
I know that the snake is a carnivorous animal.
It doesn't eat dust nor sand not even grass.
Did God's curse not work on the serpent?
Did the bible just lie because the writers knew little or nothing about the snake and whatever they were saying?
If the bible lied about this issue due to the writers ignorance, then should anyone even take the bible seriously?
This is just one of those verses in the bible that sounds like it wasn't written for our time and civilisation.

2 Likes

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by ATMC(f): 5:59pm On Apr 05, 2016
You are likely the ignorant one. This is because most living things came from dust and return to dust. If serpent eats dust, do not let your uninformed mind think it is the dust on your window panes.

Keep studying. Keep an open mind. It is important.

4 Likes

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by itstpia8: 10:09pm On Apr 05, 2016
It eats dust.
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by kobosmalls: 6:26am On Apr 06, 2016
ATMC:
You are likely the ignorant one. This is because most living things came from dust and return to dust. If serpent eats dust, do not let your uninformed mind think it is the dust on your window panes.

Did u even care to read that bible verse? Huh... I pity ur folly. Let me help u comprehend the verse, "because u have done this, u are cursed more than all cattle and beast....u shall eat dust all the days of your life".
From ur comment u meant that eating dust all the days of your life means dying all the days of ur life. So a snake dies everyday for the rest of its life?
From that verse too " cursed worse than the cattle means that it was a special curse and not referring to the condition of all living things coming from and going to the dust like u would have me believe.
You eat meat too but it wasn't named a curse.
Keep an open mind bro cos u need it more than I do.

2 Likes

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by kobosmalls: 6:31am On Apr 06, 2016
itstpia8:
It eats dust.
What u should have done is to make proper inquiries as to what the serpent feeds on before showing ur level of carelessness.

1 Like

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by Anointed08(m): 6:50am On Apr 06, 2016
Didn't the same Holy Bible called Adam and Eve dusts?(See Genesis 3 vs 19). So by saying the Serpent would eat dust, don't you know it may be talking about something deeper than the regular dust you see around you? Please pray for deeper understanding of God's word because only the deep can call to the deep.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by donnie(m): 7:11am On Apr 06, 2016
Genesis 3:14 and 15 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heeel.

In the statement, thou art cursed above all cattle, we can conclude that before that curse the Serpent had legs, which God took away causing it to crawl on his belly. It was originally one of the cattle.

The second part about eating dust is also part of the punishment since being low to the ground it would now be impossible for the Serpent to avoid the dust and would be forced to do so for as long as he lived.

And then finally, about bruising the head of the serpent: Even though this was a prophetic declaration of what her seed, Jesus, will do, natural man seems to fulfil this as well... his first response at the sight of a snake is to bruise its head. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by ATMC(f): 7:33am On Apr 06, 2016
kobosmalls:
Did u even care to read that bible verse? Huh... I pity ur folly. Let me help u comprehend the verse, "because u have done this, u are cursed more than all cattle and beast....u shall eat dust all the days of your life".
From ur comment u meant that eating dust all the days of your life means dying all the days of ur life. So a snake dies everyday for the rest of its life?
From that verse too " cursed worse than the cattle means that it was a special curse and not referring to the condition of all living things coming from and going to the dust like u would have me believe.
You eat meat too but it wasn't named a curse.
Keep an open mind bro cos u need it more than I do.
Let me see if YOUR shallow-already-madeup-unwilling-to-learn mind will grab. I did not say serpent die daily. Meanwhile, does Man still till the ground to get his eats? No! Some people feed off pen and paper. I hope you know that man wasn't commanded to eat meat? The act of eating meat resulted from the effect of the flood. No green plant, and so God told Noah to eat meat. "Dust shall you eat" is not what you insinuated.
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by itstpia8: 6:21pm On Apr 06, 2016
kobosmalls:

What I should have done is to make proper inquiries as to what the serpent feeds on before showing my level of carelessness.
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by kobosmalls: 6:29pm On Apr 06, 2016
ATMC:
Let me see if YOUR shallow-already-madeup-unwilling-to-learn mind will grab. I did not say serpent die daily. Meanwhile, does Man still till the ground to get his eats? No! Some people feed off pen and paper. I hope you know that man wasn't commanded to eat meat? The act of eating meat resulted from the effect of the flood. No green plant, and so God told Noah to eat meat. "Dust shall you eat" is not what you insinuated.
Man was cursed to till the land for food and it had a literal meaning to ur gullible mind but that simple phrase eat dust didn't have a literal meaning but a symbolic one simply because it sounded wrong and needed to be re-explained. Call a spade a spade and stop wallowing in ignorance.
You amuse me.

1 Like

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by kobosmalls: 6:40pm On Apr 06, 2016
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by CoolUsername: 6:48pm On Apr 06, 2016
ATMC:

Weird, because the Bible clearly refers to flesh as 'flesh' in all other parts.

Your assertion sounds like mental gymnastics to me. I've always wondered why Bible verses suddenly stop being literal once they cannot stand the test of reality.

2 Likes

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by kobosmalls: 6:54pm On Apr 06, 2016
donnie:
Genesis 3:14 and 15 And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heeel.

In the statement, thou art cursed above all cattle, we can conclude that before that curse the Serpent had legs, which God took away causing it to crawl on his belly. It was originally one of the cattle.

The second part about eating dust is also part of the punishment since being low to the ground it would now be impossible for the Serpent to avoid the dust and would be forced to do so for as long as he lived.

And then finally, about bruising the head of the serpent: Even though this was a prophetic declaration of what her seed, Jesus, will do, natural man seems to fulfil this as well... his first response at the sight of a snake is to bruise its head. smiley

Sensible argument but misses the point yet. The writer thought that snakes ate dust and that explains his level of understanding.
Let's consider Genesis 1:2 "and the earth was without form and void......and the spirit of god was hovering over the face of the waters.
How can something void still contain something called waters?
The entire bible is full of blunders like this or even worse.
The writer wasn't present when the earth formed but he was trying to explain to his fellow cavemen how things came into existence from his point of view which turned out to be entirely laughable.
Please, why must everything that sounds wrong have a symbolic meaning and others that sound correct have literal meanings?
These blunders serve as tell tales that the bible is full of sh1t and I'm just pointing them out.

2 Likes

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by kobosmalls: 6:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
CoolUsername:

Your assertion sounds like mental gymnastics to me. I've always wondered why Bible verses suddenly stop being literal once they cannot stand the test of reality.

At last someone who still thinks like a human with an extensively developed cns and not these other brain dead zombies.

1 Like

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by bolaji3071(m): 7:14pm On Apr 06, 2016
kobosmalls:

At last someone who still thinks like a human with an extensively developed cns and not these other brain dead zombies.

Well I won't advice other born again christians in this section to argue with you. I can't change you, Neither can they..it is only God that can do that.

You can't understand the bible except you are born again and have the holy spirit in you.. The word of the Lord(bible) is more deeper than just craming a verse and trying to use your own human knowledge to decode what it really means.

I just pray that you receive the touch of Christ so that you can really understand.
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by itstpia8: 7:57pm On Apr 06, 2016
kobosmalls:

I am a brain dead zombie.
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by cloudgoddess(f): 10:11pm On Apr 06, 2016
bolaji3071:

Well I won't advice other born again christians in this section to argue with you. I can't change you, Neither can they..it is only God that can do that.

You can't understand the bible except you are born again and have the holy spirit in you.. The word of the Lord(bible) is more deeper than just craming a verse and trying to use your own human knowledge to decode what it really means.

I just pray that you receive the touch of Christ so that you can really understand.
There is really nothing to understand, except what OP has already said. The bible, when approached critically and not with pre-existing bias which all Christians share, is full of many extremely questionable and downright false claims about nature and the universe we live in. The reason you think there must be a deeper meaning and that OP is not accurate in his criticisms, is because you have been indoctrinated to see the bible as a flawless book that can never be criticized. No matter what flaws are exposed in your religious book, you will make an excuse for it because that is how indoctrination controls people's minds.

I quote OP here:
Please, why must everything that sounds wrong have a symbolic meaning and others that sound correct have literal meanings?
This is something that all religious apologists do. When a flaw is pointed out, suddenly "it was meant figuratively". Yet in other verses that seem to uplift or validate the religion, "it means exactly what it says". Special pleading fallacy.

What you're asking OP to do when you say he must accept your religion to properly understand, is dispel his reasoning and blindly follow a text full of contradictions, natural falsehoods and unproven claims. You're telling him, "become indoctrinated like me so you can be driven to try & make sense out of the senseless."

1 Like

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by lepasharon(f): 10:16pm On Apr 06, 2016
It is an allegorical fictional story.

3 Likes

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by bolaji3071(m): 10:47pm On Apr 06, 2016
cloudgoddess:

There is really nothing to understand, except what OP has already said. The bible, when approached critically and not with pre-existing bias which all Christians share, is full of many extremely questionable and downright false claims about nature and the universe we live in. The reason you think there must be a deeper meaning and that OP is not accurate in his criticisms, is because you have been indoctrinated to see the bible as a flawless book that can never be criticized. No matter what flaws are exposed in your religious book, you will make an excuse for it because that is how indoctrination controls people's minds.

I quote OP here:

This is something that all religious apologists do. When a flaw is pointed out, suddenly "it was meant figuratively". Yet in other verses that seem to uplift or validate the religion, "it means exactly what it says". Special pleading fallacy.

What you're asking OP to do when you say he must accept your religion to properly understand, is dispel his reasoning and blindly follow a text full of contradictions, natural falsehoods and unproven claims. You're telling him, "become indoctrinated like me so you can be driven to try & make sense out of the senseless."

Ok.
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by ATMC(f): 5:47am On Apr 07, 2016
CoolUsername:

Touché. smiley I'll get back to you. Your last sentence got me thinking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by kobosmalls: 7:58am On Apr 07, 2016
bolaji3071:

Funny how Jesus said he came for the sinners and not the righteous or born again like u claim.
If the bible wasn't to be understood by mere human understanding, then why was it written in human friendly language.
Why don't God himself come down and explain this book of blunders and contradictions called the bible instead of u trying to defend him. Are u really sure u are defending god or ur own insecurities about this book of lies.
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by wirinet(m): 8:09am On Apr 07, 2016
ATMC:
You are likely the ignorant one. This is because [b] most living things came from dust [/b]and return to dust. If serpent eats dust, do not let your uninformed mind think it is the dust on your window panes.

Please can you educate me on how most living things came from dust?
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by bolaji3071(m): 8:26am On Apr 07, 2016
kobosmalls:

Funny how Jesus said he came for the sinners and not the righteous or born again like u claim.
If the bible wasn't to be understood by mere human understanding, then why was it written in human friendly language.
Why don't God himself come down and explain this book of blunders and contradictions called the bible instead of u trying to defend him. Are u really sure u are defending god or ur own insecurities about this book of lies.

It is well brother.
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by kobosmalls: 8:27am On Apr 07, 2016
cloudgoddess:

I quote OP here:

I didn't think Africa let alone Nigeria had reasonable people who haven't been completely shackled by religious indoctrination. I'm glad you exist.
The countries with more atheists or agnostics are the most peaceful places to live on earth.
Take for instance, Holland claims that the country is crime free and is planning on shutting down their prisons and other correctional facilities. Most of These people don't attend any religious brainwashing institutions but they still live in peace.
This goes to show that the wiser people get, the quicker they dump religion and accept life for what it is and learn to actually live as humans and not to take advice from a god who drowned his own children and threatens yet to torment them with fire for eternity.
You are awesome, if ur comment doesn't put some sense into these Christians, I wonder what will.
I wish we had more people like you then Nigeria must surely rise from the ashes.

1 Like

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by kobosmalls: 8:38am On Apr 07, 2016
ATMC:
Touché. smiley I'll get back to you. Your last sentence got me thinking.

So u really retained that brain activity called "thinking"?
I thought u lost it to religious faith.
Please wake that ability up and free ur self from lies that shouldn't survive elementary school education.
We are a humans( the thinking man).
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by ATMC(f): 8:40am On Apr 07, 2016
kobosmalls:

Please wake that ability up and free ur self from lies that shouldn't survive elementary school education.
Who be this one?
Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by wirinet(m): 9:01am On Apr 07, 2016
kobosmalls:

I hypothesize that there are two species of man on the planet today, there is the acknowledged Homo Sapiens (thinking man) and Homo Religio (religious man). Homo Sapiens survive by thinking while Homo Religio is only concerned about matters of faith. Homo Religio is prominent in Nigeria and most developing countries.

2 Likes

Re: Did God's Curse On The Serpent Work? by kobosmalls: 9:37am On Apr 07, 2016
wirinet:

In hypothesize that there are two species of man on the planet today, there is the acknowledged Homo Sapiens (thinking man) and Homo Religio (religious man). Homo Sapiens survive by thinking while Homo Religio is only concerned about matters of faith. Homo Religio is prominent in Nigeria and most developing countries.
Exactly.
Please help me explain to them before they label the reasonable ones 'mad',because we are a minority and there are only a handful of us (homo sapiens) left in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Where Did Cain Get His Wife From? / Believing In Vain ( 1 Corinthians 15:2) - Paul Ellis / Trump Was Sent By God To Fight Immorality In U.S Christian Leader

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.