Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,654 members, 7,827,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:39 AM

Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase (7748 Views)

Ministers, Governors Should Undergo Drug Test, Says Sanusi / Nimat Siaka Received By Governor Akeredolu Ahead Of Anti-Drug Abuse Exercise / Buhari Presents A Gift To Arase, Outgoing IG Of Police ( Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by dont8(m): 4:13pm On Apr 06, 2016

Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase

The Inspector-General of Police, Mr Solomon Arase, has said that henceforth, all policemen will undergo snap urine tests to ascertain signs of drug abuse before they could be issued firearms.

Arase disclosed this at the launch of drug testing kits and campaign against sudden death of police officers in Abuja on Wednesday.

The programme was organised by the Nigeria Police Force in collaboration with the Hypertension and Diabetes Awareness Foundation.

He said that apart from denying officers who failed the test access to firearms, the force would wean them from drugs or other psychological problems.

Arase noted that the killing of Nigerians from misapplication of firearms by policemen had made the public to cast aspersions on the police.

“After an in-depth study, my team and I have found out that some of these fatal cases could be due to mishandling of firearms by police officers who are psychologically unfit to handle firearms at that time.

“We have therefore decided that the medical assessment of persons we recruit into the police Force will include a psychological assessment,” he said.

He said that some of these psychological problems could also have resulted from drug abuse by few of the officers.

Arase said that the police had also initiated a policing strategy that would witness the transition of the police from relying on firearms to manage social disorders.

“Orders have been placed for this weaponry and adequate training framework is being put in place.

“My long term vision is to effectively address issues that engender misuse of firearms and give true meaning to our mandate of safeguarding the lives of our citizens,” he said.

He said that the Force had also decided to address the issue of frequent sudden death of police officers from preventable or avoidable health challenges.

Arase said that medical personnel had attributed such deaths to chronic non-communicable diseases like diabetes mellitus and hypertension.

He said that following this discovery, the medical department had been directed to screen all officers for the diseases.

“I encourage all men to come forward for health screening.

“Our medical section is well positioned to manage any health problems our officers and men may have,” he said.

Earlier, the Force Medical Officer, AIG Adenike Abuwa, said that the initiative was aimed at further protecting the lives of Nigerians from accidental discharge by police officers.

Abuwa said that a three-day capacity building workshop for medical officers would hold at all police health facilities nationwide to improve mental care delivery services in the police.

She said that the sudden death programme was part of the police collective response to the growing prevalence of sudden death in the police community and Nigeria at large.

“In line with global best practices, this programme has been organised to educate police officers on healthy lifestyle and regular medical checkup.

“This initiative will ensure prompt identification and management of conditions that lead to non-communicable diseases among the police community,” she said.

She said also that the programme would be held at zonal and state commands to ensure that no police personnel were left out.

The high point of the occasion was the launch of the drug testing kits by Arase.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/04/06/policemen-to-undergo-drug-abuse-test-arase/
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by wolelove(m): 4:21pm On Apr 06, 2016
Nice one from NPF...

1 Like

Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by demolinka(m): 4:24pm On Apr 06, 2016
Meagre salaries, greedy bosses, dilapidated barracks, dysfunctional system...how dem no go misfire or face sudden death? The NP is arguably one of the worst treated in the world yet we expect miracles from them, under hot sun and in the face of better armed criminals. Hian!

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Tunami(m): 4:25pm On Apr 06, 2016
nice move.
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by solara: 4:30pm On Apr 06, 2016
Not just drugs, they should also ban them from taking alcohol while on duty...

5 Likes

Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by kolajoo(m): 4:31pm On Apr 06, 2016
Long overdue

2 Likes

Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by iyatrustee(f): 4:31pm On Apr 06, 2016
Majority of them would fail the test!

He think say na with clear eye dem dey mount roadblock?

Accidental discharge nko?

Torturing of witnesses too?

4 Likes

Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by lonelydora: 4:31pm On Apr 06, 2016
In Nigeria, they will all fail. But I know this will be an avenue to enrich some DPOs because junior officers will settle them to earn a pass.

This is a good idea though. Solomon is working
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by gen2briz(m): 4:31pm On Apr 06, 2016
I support
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 06, 2016
By the time this exercise is over, we will have no policemen in this country.

All those policemen I see at Obalende under bridge, Downtown in Gowon estate etc.... Una well done.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by ItzTun3chi(m): 4:31pm On Apr 06, 2016
angry
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Ultimus: 4:31pm On Apr 06, 2016
Test their brains and level of emotional intelligence as well. Seriously, do they ever conduct psych evaluation for these men? They are all almost never normal. Psychopaths that they are!! angry

3 Likes

Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Strength77: 4:32pm On Apr 06, 2016
This is perfect.
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by INFROVERT: 4:32pm On Apr 06, 2016
hmmm
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by mhizbright: 4:33pm On Apr 06, 2016
abeg make them undergo the training jor. na im make one stupid policeman for my street shot stray bullet just bcoz of two young men fighting nd he end up injuring innocent people. yeye man sad

1 Like

Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Mopolchi: 4:34pm On Apr 06, 2016
I highly support this. Alot of them now smoke Igbo during work and behave alot like mad men.
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Nobody: 4:34pm On Apr 06, 2016
I came to like this man(IGP) the day i lead a deligation of youth leaders in my state to his office as the then CP in my state to discourse the issue of marginalization brought by Julius Berger. With millions, alot of ppl(including top govt. officials, our elders n traditional rullers) were bought over, but he displayed his integrity by ensuring that justice prevailed. His effort brought smile to the faces of the voiceless. He is indeed a Police officer with a different.

Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by holluwai(m): 4:35pm On Apr 06, 2016
Hahahaha,,, they'll all fAil
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Inspectahdeck(m): 4:39pm On Apr 06, 2016
A welcome development. Hopefully, unnecessary killing will stop.

Some NPF rank and file look so much like touts and thieves aided by too much in take of drugs.
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by huntax(m): 4:39pm On Apr 06, 2016
Pay these policemen well and recruit literate people. Too many of them are too illerate.
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Kaxmytex(m): 4:41pm On Apr 06, 2016
mtcheew....

d one wey pas d test nw, who tell u say im no go fail am again after 2years of service
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by MrHighSea: 4:41pm On Apr 06, 2016
Screen dm of womanizing too
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by esosuo: 4:46pm On Apr 06, 2016
dont8:

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/04/06/policemen-to-undergo-drug-abuse-test-arase/
Meaning many ekelebe will soon be out of job oh. because the guanja weediance nai many pass oh
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by rawtouch: 4:46pm On Apr 06, 2016
The system can be beaten it happens even in the developed countries
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Lilimax(f): 4:48pm On Apr 06, 2016
Very necessary cos many are mad but few are roaming embarassed
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Btruth: 4:48pm On Apr 06, 2016
Let's start from oga Arase. IGP, please show us your kolomental free certificate. grin
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Nobody: 4:52pm On Apr 06, 2016
grin End time drug test !!!!
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Ejanla11(m): 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2016
dem wan downsize for NPF be dat now grin grin grin
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Paulpaulpaul(m): 4:59pm On Apr 06, 2016
They will all fail, I doubt if the IGP will pass it.
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by ITSaWRAPPP: 5:00pm On Apr 06, 2016
Alot of them will FAIL o grin
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by Dottore: 5:09pm On Apr 06, 2016
[size=15pt]if they plan on sacking the guilty ones thenThe Police Service Commission had better plan on recruiting at least 30,000 more personnel because most Nigeria Police officers are weedicides [/size]
Re: Policemen To Undergo Drug Abuse Test – Arase by kennyman200(m): 5:11pm On Apr 06, 2016
Good one.

(1) (2) (Reply)

National Assembly Workers Threaten To Embark On Indefinite Strike / FG Reinstates Emirates’ 21 Weekly Flights / Obi Reacts To Rising Insecurity, Faults Past Administration Over Insecurity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.