Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman - Programming (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman (41572 Views)

How To Program Arduino Uno / How To Program With Your Android Phone Using Aide IDE Environment / Which Training Center Can Someone Learn How To Program Quickly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 7:36pm On May 05, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:
import.java.util;
public class Guesser
{
public static void main (String[] args) throws java.lang.Exception
{
double GuessBot=(int) (math.random()*100)+1;
string GuessAsker = "'Please Guess a number between 1 and 100'";

}
public static void TheGuesser() {
system.out.printIn(GuessAsker );
system.out.printIn(GuessBot);
}

if(GuessBot==47){
system.out.printIn("You Are Correct"wink;
system.out.printIn(\n)
system.out.printIn("YOU WIN"wink
system.exit(0);
}
else if(GuessBot>47){
system.out.printIn("Too high, try again"wink;
return TheGuesser();
}
else if(GuessBot<47){
system.out.printIn("Too low try again"wink;
return TheGuesser();

}

}

PLS GO THRU IT, THAT IS THE BEST I CAN CMEUP WITH CURRENTLY!!

Hi, a few things, the objective of this programme is to keep looping until the user guesses the correct answer. You seem to be missing your iteration statement that tests the random number that is generated.

Also in regards to if conditional statements, my question for you is why are you checking if the number is equal to, less than or greater than 47. Keep in mind that a randomly generated number between 1 and 100 can be anything within that range.

Also, another note of advice. Please try to practise clean coding. What I mean by that is using proper indentation to make your programmes easier to read by other fellow programmers. I don't know if you have access to a computer, if not, then I'm sorry this is going to be a bit difficult for you, but it is still manageable if you can find online IDEs for Java, where you can compile your code from whichever device that you may be using.
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 05, 2016
Fulaman198:

Well done, are you sure you haven't programmed in Java before? You seem to know about the Random class.

i have not programmed in java before, but i read lots of java textbook books back-to-back. tnx wink
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Nobody: 8:27pm On May 05, 2016
Fulaman198:

No problem miss smiley just install it on VirtualBox to make sure you actually like using Linux first. I find it a very rewarding experience. Ubuntu (Debian-based) Linux is extremely fun.

Okies sorry for late reply, busy, final year things smiley thanks for your help! One day I shall reward you when I am rich enough to say thanks for being kind to me hehe smiley
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 8:31pm On May 05, 2016
crotonite:

i have not programmed in java before, but i read lots of java textbook books back-to-back. tnx wink

Well I'm going to go on a whim and assume that you already know a C-based language?
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 8:38pm On May 05, 2016
satmaniac:

Thanks a lot for the advice. About not incrementing tries, I did increment tries in the first assignment. Perhaps the spacing of the codes is too compact that you missed it, it is on the third statement inside the while block. Also, I tried using switch control statement and I have errrors on my compiler, whenever I compiled it, hence, I decided to use if-else-if control statement and it compiled and run without error. However, I will still try using the switch control statement and when it compile well, I will post it here too.
On the second assignment, I compiled it too and it did not show me any error, but since I run the programme, I was not able to guess the correct answer, that is the value entered has not match the randomly generated number till now. So,it seem the problem I may be having is not with the syntax, maybe, logical problem. I will not pretend and act as if I understand what you said about not wanting to initialise my count to 0. If you don't mind could you throw more light on it? I mean why would I initialise tries to 0 in assignment 1 and can not do the same in assignment 2?

About posting my assignment on a separate comment, this is a mistake I will never repeat again. Thanks.

[size=10]MODIFIED[/size

I checked the code I posted here on nairaland and I discovered that there are a lot of mistake mistake in it, especially, the concatenation. So, the compiler will definitely call out the errors. So, here is the code as it is on my notepad++ text editor:

import java.util.Scanner;

public class HelloWorld{

public static void main(String[]args){
int enter;
int tries = 0;
double centemeter;
double cmresult;
double metres;
double ftresult;
double celsius;
double clresult;
double naira;
double nrresult;
Scanner stdio = new Scanner(System.in);

while(tries<=5){
System.out.println("please enter a value here:"wink;
enter = stdio.nextInt();
tries++;

if(enter==1){
System.out.println("Enter your value in centemeter here:"wink;
centemeter = stdio.nextDouble();
cmresult = centemeter/2.54;
System.out.println(centemeter+ " " + " equivalent in inch is " + " " + cmresult + "inches "wink;
}
else if(enter==2){
System.out.println("Enter your value in metres here:"wink;
metres = stdio.nextDouble();
ftresult =metres/3.28;
System.out.println( metres + "equivalent in feet is: " + " " + ftresult + "feets" );
}
else if(enter==3){
System.out.println("Enter your value in Celsius here:"wink;
celsius = stdio.nextDouble();
clresult = 32+(9/5)*celsius;
System.out.println(celsius + " " + " equivalent in fahreinheits is " + " " + clresult +" " + "fahreinheits."wink;
}
else if(enter==4){
System.out.println("Enter your value in Naira:"wink;
naira = stdio.nextDouble();
nrresult = naira/227.96;
System.out.println(naira + " " + "equivalent in euro is " + " " + nrresult + " " + "euros"wink;
}else if(enter>=5){

}
}

}

}

Ok, so practically, I wanted you to use a Switch-case conditional structure within a while loop for the Converter programme.

In your programme, You iterate your list 5 times, but that is not the instructions of the programme, so let's go through it carefully. You first initialize tries to 0, then the while loop begins, with while tries is less than or equal to 5, do the following, but before you prompt the user, you increment tries by 1 each time. So what your programme is doing (I haven't actually tested it yet) is going through an iteration 6 times (but displays a list of choices to the user 5 times).

What you are supposed to do is keep displaying conversion choices for the user until they (the user) presses 5 to exit. To exit, you can use System.exit(0). The previous command allows the user to exit the programme without issues.

If you can, you and ANTONINEUTRON I would like for you to read back on Day 4 and practise with Switch case structures. Then, come back and do this programme again. Thanks!
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 8:39pm On May 05, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Okies sorry for late reply, busy, final year things smiley thanks for your help! One day I shall reward you when I am rich enough to say thanks for being kind to me hehe smiley

There are other ways to repay me like putting your feet on my face cheesy cheesy cheesy I'm kidding not thread appropriate. I'm joking It's just a joke haha. Don't get mad at me lol. But to be serious, you don't have to repay me, thanks for the thought though smiley
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 05, 2016
Fulaman198:

There are other ways to repay me like putting your feet on my face cheesy cheesy cheesy I'm kidding not thread appropriate. I'm joking It's just a joke haha. Don't get mad at me lol. But to be serious, you don't have to repay me, thanks for the thought though smiley

Loool, you made me laugh out loud whats so special about my feet?? cheesy anyway, I shall get you 80 cows!!! grin
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 8:58pm On May 05, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Loool, you made me laugh out loud whats so special about my feet?? cheesy anyway, I shall get you 80 cows!!! grin

LOL I have enough cattle as is, though 80 cattle is no joke, that or feet on my face?

I just like beautiful women with beautiful feet. I'm not completely submissive, but I admire beautiful women.
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 05, 2016
Fulaman198:

LOL I have enough cattle as is, though 80 cattle is no joke, that or feet on my face?

I just like beautiful women with beautiful feet. I'm not completely submissive, but I admire beautiful women.

Loool, you are the second foot fetish person I have met, didn't know we have you guys in Africa cheesy
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 05, 2016
Fulaman198:

Well I'm going to go on a whim and assume that you already know a C-based language?

How did u deduce that

actually, i knw little 'c,c++,asm,php'. very little of them.
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 10:20pm On May 05, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Loool, you are the second foot fetish person I have met, didn't know we have you guys in Africa cheesy

What did the first one say when he saw your feet? There are quite a few of us, we are just in hiding because people think foot fetishism is weird in Africa lol.
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 10:22pm On May 05, 2016
crotonite:

How did u deduce that

actually, i knw little 'c,c++,asm,php'. very little of them.

You write code pretty well. But we will see if you can maintain it as we progress. Hopefully you can! lolll

1 Like

Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 05, 2016
Fulaman198:

What did the first one say when he saw your feet? There are quite a few of us, we are just in hiding because people think foot fetishism is weird in Africa lol.

Lol it is not weird to me though, its cool, the first one said he wanted me to step on his face as well lol. Okay enough of this talk o lets not derail this and change it from java to foot fetish talk, lol

1 Like

Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 10:54pm On May 05, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Lol it is not weird to me though, its cool, the first one said he wanted me to step on his face as well lol. Okay enough of this talk o lets not derail this and change it from java to foot fetish talk, lol

LOL you are right sorry about the derailing of the thread. I'll save the foot fetishing talk for another time.
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Nobody: 10:56pm On May 05, 2016
Fulaman198:

LOL you are right sorry about the derailing of the thread. I'll save the foot fetishing talk for another time.

Sure sure sure cheesy

1 Like

Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 11:22pm On May 05, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Sure sure sure cheesy

Hopefully very soon cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 7:43am On May 06, 2016

import java.util;
import java.lang;
import java.io;

class Assignment
{
{

int GuessBot = (int)(math.random()*100)+1;

do{

int count = 0;

while(GuessBot != 34){

count++
;

}

system.out.printIn("Please guess a Number 1 and 100"wink;

if(GuessBot <= 33){

system.out.printIn("Too Low try again"wink;

}

else if(GuessBot >= 35){

system.out.printIn("Too High try again"wink;

}

else{

system.out.printIn("You Win It took" +count+ "tries to get it right"wink;

system.exit(0);
}
} while(GuessBot <= 33 || GuessBot >= 35)

}
}

What is your take on dis new programme?

On the Switch u told us to read,
i thought Switch is equal to If-Else statement??

And that my former code, I didn't believe the code showed. Becuz my ba3 shutdown immediately i clicked submit, my phone went off-Reason For The Rough Code.
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by satmaniac(m): 9:11am On May 06, 2016
Fulaman198:

Ok, so practically, I wanted you to use a Switch-case conditional structure within a for loop for the Converter programme.

In your programme, You iterate your list 5 times, but that is not the instructions of the programme, so let's go through it carefully. You first initialize tries to 0, then the while loop begins, with while tries is less than or equal to 5, do the following, but before you prompt the user, you increment tries by 1 each time. So what your programme is doing (I haven't actually tested it yet) is going through an iteration 6 times (but displays a list of choices to the user 5 times).

What you are supposed to do is keep displaying conversion choices for the user until they (the user) presses 5 to exit. To exit, you can use System.exit(0). The previous command allows the user to exit the programme without issues.

If you can, you and ANTONINEUTRON I would like for you to read back on Day 4 and practise with Switch case structures. Then, come back and do this programme again. Thanks!

I corrected it and it is now working perfectly, I am going to post it and I hope this time, it is going to earn me pass mark grin
So, it is now official that I have been demoted to class....erm...Day 4. I been dey think say nobody smart pass me, but now I know a lot of people are. crotonite, well done o! I go soon sabi pass you grin
Rush back to SS4....erm...class4....sorry, I mean assignment4, before senior crotonite comot im koboko grin

Abeg Sugarhugs will you do us a favour and cover your feet in those pair of black ninja socks? Make our teacher no go use feet do topic for Day7 grin grin

1 Like

Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Nobody: 9:26pm On May 06, 2016
satmaniac:

I corrected it and it is now working perfectly, I am going to post it and I hope this time, it is going to earn me pass mark grin
So, it is now official that I have been demoted to class....erm...Day 4. I been dey think say nobody smart pass me, but now I know a lot of people are. crotonite, well done o! I go soon sabi pass you grin
Rush back to SS4....erm...class4....sorry, I mean assignment4, before senior crotonite comot im koboko grin

Abeg Sugarhugs will you do us a favour and cover your feet in those pair of black ninja socks? Make our teacher no go use feet do topic for Day7 grin grin

Looooool! Okies!

1 Like

Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 10:28pm On May 06, 2016
satmaniac:

Her new picture is making me lose focus even more all I can think of is being under this Goddesses feet.

1 Like

Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Nobody: 10:57pm On May 06, 2016
Fulaman198:

Her new picture is making me lose focus even more all I can think of is being under this Goddesses feet.

Lol please I have updated now ehn concertrate now ehn no more visible feets, me am almost done with HTML moving to CSS by tomorrow oo grin

2 Likes

Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 1:26am On May 07, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Lol please I have updated now ehn concertrate now ehn no more visible feets, me am almost done with HTML moving to CSS by tomorrow oo grin

Na so? I'm very proud and happy for you grin grin grin grin, you will definitely excel at Cascade Style Sheets cheesy
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Nobody: 9:54am On May 07, 2016
Fulaman198:

Na so? I'm very proud and happy for you grin grin grin grin, you will definitely excel at Cascade Style Sheets cheesy

Yeah after that I wanna divide into python before java and others cheesy

1 Like

Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by satmaniac(m): 10:46am On May 07, 2016
Here is the Assignment 1 using Switch control statement:

public class Convert{

int count=0;
int enter ;
double centimeter;
double celsius;
double naira;
double meter;
while(count<=4) {

System.out.println("Please enter a digit here:"wink;
enter = stdio.nextInt();
count++;
switch(enter){

case 1: System.out.println("Please enter a value in centimeter here:"wink;
centimeter = stdio.nextDouble();
System.out.println(centimeter + " " + "Equivalent in inches is:" + " " + centimeter/2.54 + "inches"wink;
break;

case 2: System.out.println("Please enter a value in meter here:"wink;
meter = stdio.nextDouble();
System.out.println(meter + " " + "Equivalent in feets is:" + " " + meter/3.28 + "feets"wink;
break;

case 3: System.out.println("Please enter a value in Celsius here:"wink;
System.out.println(celsius + "C" + " " + "Equivalent in fahreinheits is:" + " " + 32+(9/5)*celsius + "fahreinheits"wink;
break;

case 4: System.out.println("Please enter a value in Naira here:"wink;
System.out.println( naira + "Naira" + " " + "Equivalent in Euros is:" + " " + naira/227.96 + "euros"wink;
break;

case 5: System.exit(0);
break;

default:

}

}
}
}
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by satmaniac(m): 10:56am On May 07, 2016
[center]Assignment 2 Day 5[/center]

import java.lang.Math;

public class Guess{

int count = 0;
int enter;

int rndm = (int)((Math.random() * 100) + 1);

while(count<=100){
System.out.println("Please guess a number between 1 and 100"wink;
enter = stdio.nextInt();
count++;

if(enter==rndm){

System.out.println("You win! You got it after" + " " + count++ + " " + "attempts"wink;
}else{

System.out.println("Wrong guess"wink;
}

}

}

}
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by satmaniac(m): 11:08am On May 07, 2016
Fulaman198, sir, how can I implement a code that will tell me the number of times the user guessed before getting it right? I tried using count++ and I know it is wrong, otherwise, my code seems to run well for me here. I tested it by reducing the range from 1-5 instead of the one given and it work well. I will appreciate if you point out anything that is missing or not right in the codes. Thanks.
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 4:40pm On May 07, 2016
Sugarhugs:

Yeah after that I wanna divide into python before java and others cheesy

Lol that's great, you will do well for sure wink
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 4:47pm On May 07, 2016
satmaniac:
Here is the Assignment 1 using Switch control statement:

public class Convert{

int count=0;
int enter ;
double centimeter;
double celsius;
double naira;
double meter;
while(count<=4) {

System.out.println("Please enter a digit here:"wink;
enter = stdio.nextInt();
count++;
switch(enter){

case 1: System.out.println("Please enter a value in centimeter here:"wink;
centimeter = stdio.nextDouble();
System.out.println(centimeter + " " + "Equivalent in inches is:" + " " + centimeter/2.54 + "inches"wink;
break;

case 2: System.out.println("Please enter a value in meter here:"wink;
meter = stdio.nextDouble();
System.out.println(meter + " " + "Equivalent in feets is:" + " " + meter/3.28 + "feets"wink;
break;

case 3: System.out.println("Please enter a value in Celsius here:"wink;
System.out.println(celsius + "C" + " " + "Equivalent in fahreinheits is:" + " " + 32+(9/5)*celsius + "fahreinheits"wink;
break;

case 4: System.out.println("Please enter a value in Naira here:"wink;
System.out.println( naira + "Naira" + " " + "Equivalent in Euros is:" + " " + naira/227.96 + "euros"wink;
break;

case 5: System.exit(0);
break;

default:

}

}
}
}

This is a lot better than before, but you need to remember that your while loop tests for a Boolean expression, meaning that it tests for while a particular condition is or isn't true. I this particular case, the while loop should be testing the number that the user input.

Please fix your code based on the advice. Thanks!
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 5:02pm On May 07, 2016
satmaniac:
[center]Assignment 2 Day 5[/center]

import java.lang.Math;

public class Guess{

int count = 0;
int enter;

int rndm = (int)((Math.random() * 100) + 1);

while(count<=100){
System.out.println("Please guess a number between 1 and 100"wink;
enter = stdio.nextInt();
count++;

if(enter==rndm){

System.out.println("You win! You got it after" + " " + count++ + " " + "attempts"wink;
}else{

System.out.println("Wrong guess"wink;
}

}

}

}

So a few things, when writing a programme, you want to make sure that whoever reading it understand your rhetoric very well. I'll give you some suggestions before I discuss your code.

For one, if you get a coding job irrelevant of language, you want to make sure your variables are easy to understand. For instance, the user guess variable, you called it enter. Wouldn't a better variable name be "userGuess"? So each time a user guesses a new value, the value for user guess is updated.

I understand that rndm stands for random, but I think a better variable name would have been rndmNumber. Think about the programme and whom reads it. Your colleagues will one day assess your code and you don't want to be notorious for writing code that looks "ugly".

Now to discuss the programme your wrote, your while loop is not supposed to be testing the expression while the count is less than or equal to 100, in essence you are saying while the number of tries is less than or equal to 100, then do the following instructions within the while loop code block.

The while loop expression should be testing "while the number the user enters is not the randomly generated number" check to see if user input number is less than, greater than or equal to the randomly generated number. Just like the instructions say. Do you understand now? If the user guesses incorrectly, the counter for the number of tries is incremented by one.

1 Like

Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by Fulaman198(m): 7:01pm On May 07, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

import java.util;
import java.lang;
import java.io;

class Assignment
{
{

int GuessBot = (int)(math.random()*100)+1;

do{

int count = 0;

while(GuessBot != 34){

count++
;

}

system.out.printIn("Please guess a Number 1 and 100"wink;

if(GuessBot <= 33){

}

else if(GuessBot >= 35){

system.out.printIn("Too High try again"wink;

}

else{

system.out.printIn("You Win It took" +count+ "tries to get it right"wink;

system.exit(0);
}
} while(GuessBot <= 33 || GuessBot >= 35)

}
}

What is your take on dis new programme?

On the Switch u told us to read,
i thought Switch is equal to If-Else statement??

And that my former code, I didn't believe the code showed. Becuz my ba3 shutdown immediately i clicked submit, my phone went off-Reason For The Rough Code.

Hello Antonineutron just a few things.

Remember that you or whomever is playing your guessing game is attempting to guess the correct Random number. The while loop (or do-while loop) conditional should be testing for while the user's guess is not equal to the randomly generated number which in itself is stored to a variable.

Remember, each time you start a new game, the randomly generated number is different. It's not a static number. So using a while loop to check for a number that was generated once is not a good idea.

Remember what your variables are for. I hope that helps you out. Thanks!
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 8:08pm On May 07, 2016
Fulaman198:

Hello Antonineutron just a few things.

Remember that you or whomever is playing your guessing game is attempting to guess the correct Random number. The while loop (or do-while loop) conditional should be testing for while the user's guess is not equal to the randomly generated number which in itself is stored to a variable.

Remember, each time you start a new game, the randomly generated number is different. It's not a static number. So using a while loop to check for a number that was generated once is not a good idea.

Remember what your variables are for. I hope that helps you out. Thanks!
Ok!! Captain grin
Re: Learning To Program With Java by the Fulaman by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 10:41am On May 08, 2016
Goodmrning Fulaman!

Checkout my new code;

import java.util.*;
import java.lang.*;
import java.io.*;

class Assignment
{
{
int RandomBot = (int)(math.random()*100)+1;

scanner UserScanner = new scanner(system.in);

/* Calculating the value of tries */

int tries = 0;

while(RandomBot != UserGuess){
tries++;
}

do{

system.out.printIn("Please Guess a Number between 1 and 100"wink;

int UserGuess = UserScanner.nextInt();

if(UserGuess < RandomBot){
system.out.printIn(UserGuess);
}

else if(UserGuess > RandomBot){
system.out.printIn(UserGuess);
system.out.printIn("Too High try again"wink
;

}

else{
system.out.printIn("YOU WIN \n It took you" +tries+ "tries to get it"wink;
system.out.printIn("Exiting the Game"wink;
system.exit(0);
}

}while(UserGuess != RandomBot);
}
}

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? / What Are The Best Laptops For Programmers And Hackers?! / Sultan Akintunde Set For Guinness World Record For Longest Software Coding Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.