Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,432 members, 7,819,557 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:09 PM

Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" (2345 Views)

Who Was Cain's Wife, Could It Have Been His Sister? / Question For Christians And Muslims: Who Are The Parents Of Cain Wife / Who Created Cain's Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by smithmadu(m): 7:26am On Apr 10, 2016
Skeptics (sadly I USED to be one) of the Bible have used Cain’s wife time and again to discredit the book of Genesis as a true historical record. Sadly, most Christians have not given an adequate answer to this question.
Genesis 4:17 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and He built a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
So, please who was Cain's wife?

Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by EgusiSoup: 7:33am On Apr 10, 2016
smithmadu:
Skeptics (sadly I USED to be one) of the Bible have used Cain’s wife time and again to discredit the book of Genesis as a true historical record. Sadly, most Christians have not given an adequate answer to this question.
Genesis 4:17 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and He builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

Wait let me finish this hot fufu and fresh fish banga soup first undecided
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by TPAND(f): 7:37am On Apr 10, 2016
Till date no Bible Scholar, Pope, Man of God, Arcbishop and Big bishop has/have been able to answer this intriguing question.

Let's just say the word of God is unquestionable. That's the most perfect answer

1 Like

Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by iliyande(m): 7:38am On Apr 10, 2016
The Bible does not specifically say who Cain’s wife was. The only possible answer is that Cain's wife was his sister or niece or great-niece, etc. The Bible does not say how old Cain was when he killed Abel (Genesis 4:8 ) . Since they were both farmers, they were likely both full-grown adults, possibly with families of their own. Adam and Eve surely had given birth to more children than just Cain and Abel at the time Abel was killed. They definitely had many more children later (Genesis 5:4). The fact that Cain was scared for his own life after he killed Abel (Genesis 4:14) indicates that there were likely many other children and perhaps even grandchildren of Adam and Eve already living at that time. Cain's wife (Genesis 4:17) was a daughter or granddaughter of Adam and Eve.

Since Adam and Eve were the first (and only) human beings, their children would have no other choice than to intermarry. God did not forbid inter-family marriage until much later when there were enough people to make intermarriage unnecessary (Leviticus 18:6-18). The reason that incest today often results in genetic abnormalities is that when two people of similar genetics (i.e., a brother and sister) have children together, there is a high risk of their recessive characteristics becoming dominant. When people from different families have children, it is highly unlikely that both parents will carry the same recessive traits. The human genetic code has become increasingly “polluted” over the centuries as genetic defects are multiplied, amplified, and passed down from generation to generation. Adam and Eve did not have any genetic defects, and that enabled them and the first few generations of their descendants to have a far greater quality of health than we do now. Adam and Eve’s children had few, if any, genetic defects. As a result, it was safe for them to intermarry.

1 Like

Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by Flexherbal(m): 7:41am On Apr 10, 2016
I have not come across who his wife was.
Let's wait for theologians.
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by TPAND(f): 7:44am On Apr 10, 2016
iliyande:
The Bible does not specifically say who Cain’s wife was. The only possible answer is that Cain's wife was his sister or niece or great-niece, etc. The Bible does not say how old Cain was when he killed Abel (Genesis 4:8 ) . Since they were both farmers, they were likely both full-grown adults, possibly with families of their own. Adam and Eve surely had given birth to more children than just Cain and Abel at the time Abel was killed. They definitely had many more children later (Genesis 5:4). The fact that Cain was scared for his own life after he killed Abel (Genesis 4:14) indicates that there were likely many other children and perhaps even grandchildren of Adam and Eve already living at that time. Cain's wife (Genesis 4:17) was a daughter or granddaughter of Adam and Eve.

Since Adam and Eve were the first (and only) human beings, their children would have no other choice than to intermarry. God did not forbid inter-family marriage until much later when there were enough people to make intermarriage unnecessary (Leviticus 18:6-18). The reason that incest today often results in genetic abnormalities is that when two people of similar genetics (i.e., a brother and sister) have children together, there is a high risk of their recessive characteristics becoming dominant. When people from different families have children, it is highly unlikely that both parents will carry the same recessive traits. The human genetic code has become increasingly “polluted” over the centuries as genetic defects are multiplied, amplified, and passed down from generation to generation. Adam and Eve did not have any genetic defects, and that enabled them and the first few generations of their descendants to have a far greater quality of health than we do now. Adam and Eve’s children had few, if any, genetic defects. As a result, it was safe for them to intermarry.

Off point and completely out of context.

1. Niece, great niece (Intresting to me)
2. God never forbade intermarriage until later (are you saying God has a double- standard). Or God lays down new laws daily like a legislator

1 Like

Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by iliyande(m): 7:52am On Apr 10, 2016
TPAND:

2. God never forbade intermarriage until later (are you saying God has a double- standard). Or God lays down new laws daily like a legislator

Did your Bible told you how old Cain was when he got married sir?

Did your Bible told you Adam eve stop giving birth sir?

Was there lay down law as at then?
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by smithmadu(m): 7:55am On Apr 10, 2016
EgusiSoup:

Wait let me finish this hot fufu and fresh fish banga soup first undecided
kai.... Am on my way to join you grin grin
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by nobilis: 7:56am On Apr 10, 2016
Iliyande, you made no point at all.
Where did the Bible say Adam and Eve had daughters?
Adam and Eve had only 3 sons: Cain, Abel and Seth.
Even Seth was not born immediately after Abel's death. So for all we know, Seth and Enoch, the first son of Cain, might be age mates.
The bible didn't record the birth of any daughters between the birth of Abel and that of Cain.
And if Adam had any daughters, they were born long after Cain took a wife.
So which daughters are you talking about?
I'll like a biblical quotation to support that claim.

Back to the issue, at hand.
This question is one of the questions that should make human beings who have well-trained minds to reason and finally see things for themselves. But it is so appalling that people will see these obvious errors in the so-called Bible and yet deliberately close their minds to knowledge with silly statements such as: "the word of God should not be doubted". Others try to offer faulty explanations and along the line, they get stuck.

So the word of God should not be doubted even when it's obvious there are glaring mistakes. So in our bid to not doubt the word of God, errors should now be translated into Dogma? That is so shameful and appalling. Even the bible said "my people perish because of lack of knowledge" and obviously christians have been perishing since time immemorial.

OP, that question has no answer that can be found in the bible. Because if you believe that Adam and Eve were the first humans on earth, then Cain's wife must be an illusion.
So if u want to find out who Cain's wife was, you have to abandon your bible and search for answers elsewhere.

Until Christians learn to leave the bible alone, they will always be shrouded in darkness.

3 Likes

Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by Tallesty1(m): 8:02am On Apr 10, 2016
TPAND:
Till date no Bible Scholar, Pope, Man of God, Arcbishop and Big bishop has/have been able to answer this intriguing question.

Let's just say the word of God is unquestionable. That's the most perfect answer
How many pope you don ask?

I agree with you sha.

And I think the only plausible explanation is that Cain married either Adam and Eve's Daughter or granddaughter. Remember that incest was acceptable until Leviticus 18:6-18 was established.

Also, that Cain was scared of being murdered after he killed Abel and God made him a wanderer in Genesis 4:14 indicates that there were many other children and grandchildren of Adam and Eve who would likely revenge Abel's death.

The funny thing is that the bible didn't tell when Cain married the wife, the bible says "he knew his" wife, ie made love to his wife so it is possible that he already married her before he killed able and they both ran away.
nobilis:
Where did the daughters come from?
Genesis 5:3-4
And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by amunkita(m): 8:03am On Apr 10, 2016
Cain married an Igbo lady conceived by fallen angels..

Have u wondered why we igbo's re "cainish" Nd have higher IQ than all black race, it's because Cain married our sister adaorah who lived in another Garden called Onitsha..

2 Likes

Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by smithmadu(m): 8:07am On Apr 10, 2016
nobilis:
Where did the daughters come from?

This question is one of the questions that should make human beings who have well-trained minds to reason and finally see things for themselves. But it is so appalling that people will see these obvious errors in the so-called Bible and yet deliberately close their minds to knowledge with silly statements such as: "the word of God should not be doubted". Others try to offer faulty explanations and along the line, they get stuck.

So the word of God should not be doubted even when it's obvious there are glaring mistakes. So in our bid to not doubt the word of God, errors should now be translated into Dogma? That is so shameful and appalling. Even the bible said "my people perish because of lack of knowledge" and obviously christians have been perishing since time immemorial.

OP, that question has no answer that can be found in the bible. Because if you believe that Adam and Eve were the first humans on earth, then Cain's wife must be an illusion.
So if u want to find out who Cain's wife was, you have to abandon your bible and search for answers elsewhere.

Until Christians learn to leave the bible alone, they will always be shrouded in darkness.
I actually debated with a Pastor about this... His reply was that, Am a sinner, that I should repent and God will open my eyes and mind to understand bible... So I asked him, since your are born again answer it naa since you can see and am blind!!!

2 Likes

Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by lekkie073(m): 8:19am On Apr 10, 2016
iliyande:

cain went to another land before he met his wife. the most logical answer is dat Adam was the 'first' man to be created but he might not have been the 'only' man to be created. God having created Adam might have decided to create other humans sonewhere else. nothing like he married his sister because it was after cain ran away dat Seth, adams third child was born
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by talktonase(m): 8:45am On Apr 10, 2016
TPAND:

to a right thinking and reasonble person that absolutely makes sense...
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by talktonase(m): 8:51am On Apr 10, 2016
nobilis:
Even Seth was not born immediately after Abel's death. So for all we know, Seth and Enoch, the first son of Cain, might be age mates.
The bible didn't record the birth of any daughters between the birth of Abel and that of Cain.
And if Adam had any daughters, they were born long after Cain took a wife.
So which daughters are you talking about?

So if u want to find out who Cain's wife was, you have to abandon your bible and search for answers elsewhere. One of the most prestgious insttutions in the world Harvard to precise refers to the Bible as the most perfect ever written.I really dont know what informs your view about any errors.Brother i think you need to review your perspective.

Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by TPAND(f): 8:58am On Apr 10, 2016
talktonase:
to a right thinking and reasonble person that absolutely makes sense...

Right thinking.... No wonder we are were we are as a nation.
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by dblackninja: 10:16am On Apr 10, 2016
In Omawumi's voice: If you ask me....na who I go ask cheesy
Well I've asked & asked & asked, but I always got contradictory answers, so I stopped asking.
@ iliyande Go and reread your textbook again cheesy. The bible said: and Cain went away from the presence of the lord & dwelt in the Land of Nod east of Eden (Gen. 4:16) From there he knew his wife. Your argument that it's his sister, great niece, great great whatever is ludicrous because the text said in Gen. 4:25 "And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and called his name Seth, for she said, "God has appointed for me another child instead of Abel, for Cain slew him."" Which tends to reason that it's after he was cursed and went to the land of Nod from where he knew his wife, that Eve bore another child.

The only logical conclusion here is that god created another set of people after Adam & Even. Which also means that he was deceiving them when he told them be fruitful & multiply while he go go about creating other people. If that is so, it only means that the authors of that textbook (bible) wrote an incoherent fable for us to wallow in--wicked and dumb set of authors cheesy My folklore authors are far better grin
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by smithmadu(m): 1:11pm On Apr 10, 2016
dblackninja:
In Omawumi's voice: If you ask me....na who I go ask cheesy
Well I've asked & asked & asked, but I always got contradictory answers, so I stopped asking.
@ iliyande Go and reread your textbook again cheesy. The bible said: and Cain went away from the presence of the lord & dwelt in the Land of Nod east of Eden (Gen. 4:16) From there he knew his wife. Your argument that it's his sister, great niece, great great whatever is ludicrous because the text said in Gen. 4:25 "And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and called his name Seth, for she said, "God has appointed for me another child instead of Abel, for Cain slew him."" Which tends to reason that it's after he was cursed and went to the land of Nod from where he knew his wife, that Eve bore another child.

The only logical conclusion here is that god created another set of people after Adam & Even. Which also means that he was deceiving them when he told them be fruitful & multiply while he go go about creating other people. If that is so, it only means that the authors of that textbook (bible) wrote an incoherent fable for us to wallow in--wicked and dumb set of authors cheesy folklore authors are far better grin
I concur with you.. That's the only logical answer to this question. Also, who on earth was Cain scared of?
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 10, 2016
smithmadu:
Genesis 4:17 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and He built a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.

Very likely or a niece, who knows. Women are not counted in the bible except on very strange occassions. So Adam and eve may have had many daughters in their few hundred years on earth. Arabs, Indians marry their close relatives up till now.

Its only in African tribes like mine where marrying members of your clan is an abomination. Other races have been practicing incest for generations.
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by Bamidupe20(f): 7:14pm On Apr 10, 2016
i got to learn somewhere that cain and abel were born as twins and they were females....since the female gender wasnt counted then its posibble that cain married Abel's twin sister or his twin sister.

1 Like

Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by chubbyswit(m): 9:52pm On Apr 10, 2016
lets remember that adam and eve lived for hundreds of years, allowing them see their children to even the 8th generation (about 800yrs). They must have had numerous children by then. So it's not far fetched that cain married from his family probably niece, grand niece, etc

1 Like

Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by dblackninja: 10:12pm On Apr 11, 2016
smithmadu:
I concur with you.. That's the only logical answer to this question. Also, who on earth was Cain scared of?
Sorry for not replying on time--light & fuel issue.

For cain to be afraid that whoever finds him wandering the earth will kill him, shows that he acknowledged that there are other people on earth. He lamented in Gen.4:14 that his punishment is greater than he can bear; as a fugitive & wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds him will kill him. I believe you know what a fugitive is. He killed Abel in secret so nobody knows yet that he killed his brother, so he can't be harbouring thoughts of imaginary brothers & sisters killing him. Then god dished out the curses on him, & so he became afraid of being killed like a chicken while loitering around the earth...

1 Like

Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by smithmadu(m): 11:26pm On Apr 11, 2016
dblackninja:

Sorry for not replying on time--light & fuel issue.

For cain to be afraid that whoever finds him wandering the earth will kill him, shows that he acknowledged that there are other people on earth. He lamented in Gen.4:14 that his punishment is greater than he can bear; as a fugitive & wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds him will kill him. I believe you know what a fugitive is. He killed Abel in secret so nobody knows yet that he killed his brother, so he can't be harbouring thoughts of imaginary brothers & sisters killing him. Then god dished out the curses on him, & so he became afraid of being killed like a chicken while loitering around the earth...
Lol... grin grin Am a Christian but not really a blind one
Re: Who Was Cain's Wife? Was Cain's Wife His Sister?" by dblackninja: 11:31pm On Apr 11, 2016
smithmadu:
Lol... grin grin Am a Christian but not really a blind one
wink wink

(1) (Reply)

D / Faith Healing:Does It Work?Come In And Share Your Experience. / Who Is Jehovah?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.