Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,698 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. (2264 Views)

A Buhari Supporter Is Begining To Lose Hope In His Administration / Economic Diversification: All State Capitals To Enjoy Railway Services – Amaechi / Economic Diversification: CBN Will Invest To Create Jobs, Wealth — Emefiele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 8:25am On Apr 10, 2016
When we allow tribalism, nepotism, bigotry and hate becloud our judgement, the end result is always fatal. I would like people on here, especially the defenders of this administration that are always talking about 16 years of PDP maladministrations to tell me what the plans of the present administration are, especially in the areas of economic diversification. You hear them say that achieving economic diversification is not easy and takes several years but they can't even point out a roadmap laid down by this government to supposedly achieve economic diversification.

I'm not here to make comparisons between GEJ and PMB so I will have to remove anything GEJ from my analysis and talk fully about PMB. As for me, this administration, under Buhari (no matter how many years he rules), may never achieve anything meaningful regarding the much touted economic diversification because of the following:

1. BUDGET

No special attention were giving to areas such as Agriculture (N29.7 billion); Mines and Steel Development (even with its potentials, this area gets a paltry N9.5 billion); Industry, Trade and Investment (N10.5 billion); Transportation (N13.7 billion); Water Resources (N7.2 billion); Labour and Employment (N7.8 billion); Science and Technology (N25.8 billion); etc. These are areas with massive potentials and can enable Nigeria diversify her economy.

Rather than see to the sufficient funding of the ministries mentioned in the precious paragraph, huge sums were budgeted for the office of the National Security Adviser (gets N57.7 billion, aside the over 700 billion budgeted for security); Ministry of Special Duties (N72.8 billion); Office of the Secretary to the Federal Government (N45.3 billion); INEC (gets N45 billion in a year without general elections); Ministry of Information and culture (N39.1 billion); Office of the Head of Service (6.4 billion); Federal Character Commission (N2.09 billion); Outsourced Services (N5 billion); etc.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2015/12/31/buhari’s-2016-budget-consolidation-corruption-remi-oyeyemi

Therefore, how does this budget in any way, indicate that this administration is serious about diversifying our economy.

2. OIL EXPLORATION

Isn't it disheartening that with the current economic turmoil, Buhari still allocated N39.4billion for oil exploration in the Lake Chad basin. Also, it is quite clear even to the blind that this area is plagued with insecurity and has already gulped billions of Naira in the past with nothing to show for it, yet our "amiable" president decided to waste another N39.4 billion for same ol, same ol. I think Buhari should keep digging, he might actually dig up the earth's core and then sell it to Obama.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/pdp-chieftain-faults-buharis-allocation-of-n39-4b-for-oil-exploration-in-the-north/

3. STRICT FOREX POLICIES

People laud the efforts of Buhari in this regard but fail to see the disasterious effects of the strict forex policies. Talking from experience, sometimes last year, I wanted to acquire some scrolling and twisting machines from China but after all the dollar and naira saga, I had to abandon these machines and stick to manual process. Also, we can't take away the fact that Nigeria in its present stage doesn't have the capacity to fully delve into manufacturing because we cannot even produce our own raw materials, neither do we have adequate power supply or the capacity to produce machines required for both startups and existing businesses.

4. JUDGING FROM THE PAST

APC supporters are fond of writing or saying things like what were the efforts made by the PDP to diversify our economy during their 16 years maladministration. They keep talking as if Nigeria started existing from 1999. I see this as a subtle way to absolve Buhari off blames of his own terrible dictatorship cum tyranny that crumbled our economy in the 80s.

As a sole administrator, what did Buhari do in 83/84 to diversify our economy? Rather than build on from where Shehu Shagari stopped, he destroyed the economy completely because of his so called austerity or should I say tyrannical leadership. Shehu Shagari built the massive Ajaokuta Steel Industry almost to completion (about 90% completion) but our "all-knowing" Buhari came in and abandoned that project just as he abandoned the Lagos Metro-line. This is an organization with the potentials of creating millions of direct and indirect jobs.

Does Muhammadu Buhari have some kind of resentment for anything not related to oil? Little wonder he destroyed the hopes of Nigeria becoming the giant of Africa in steel production in the 80s and here he is budgeting a paltry N9.5 billion for the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development in 2015/2016.

5. EPILEPTIC POWER SUPPLY

One would'be thought that with the bogus promises made by Buhari, Fashola and Osibanjo that the "body odour" generated power of last year would have been maintained till 2019 but here we are, back to square one, as our "unquestionable" Buhari broke record of generating 0MW of power supply for several hours.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/power-generation-crumbles-to-0mw-for-several-hours/

How will industries grow and new businesses survive within an administration if power supply is as epileptic as this?

CONCLUSION

When Buhari is ready for economic diversification, we will all know that. Forex restrictions aren't all that is needed to magically and forcefully turn an economy from a consuming one to a manufacturing one. China and co, didn't have such terrible infrastructures, poor power supply, etc. when they made the laudable jump to become the world's biggest manufacturing countries. Therefore, APC should stop comparing us to China in that regards.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by Nobody: 8:27am On Apr 10, 2016
francizy:
When we allow tribalism, nepotism, bigotry and hate becloud our judgement, the end result is always fatal. I would like people on here, especially the defenders of this administration that are always talking about 16 years of PDP maladministrations to tell me what the plans of the present administration are, especially in the areas of economic diversification. You hear them say that achieving economic diversification is not easy and takes several years but they can't even point out a roadmap laid down by this government to supposedly achieve economic diversification.

I'm not here to make comparisons between GEJ and PMB so I will have to remove anything GEJ from my analysis and talk fully about PMB. As for me, this administration, under Buhari (no matter how many years he rules), may never achieve anything meaningful regarding the much touted economic diversification because of the following:

1. BUDGET

No special attention were giving to areas such as Agriculture (N29.7 billion); Mines and Steel Development (even with its potentials, this area gets a paltry N9.5 billion); Industry, Trade and Investment (N10.5 billion); Transportation (N13.7 billion); Water Resources (N7.2 billion); Labour and Employment (N7.8 billion); Science and Technology (N25.8 billion); etc. These are areas with massive potentials and can enable Nigeria diversify her economy.

Rather than see to the sufficient funding of the ministries mentioned in the precious paragraph, huge sums were budgeted for the office of the National Security Adviser (gets N57.7 billion, aside the over 700 billion budgeted for security); Ministry of Special Duties (N72.8 billion); Office of the Secretary to the Federal Government (N45.3 billion); INEC (gets N45 billion in a year without general elections); Ministry of Information and culture (N39.1 billion); Office of the Head of Service (6.4 billion); Federal Character Commission (N2.09 billion); Outsourced Services (N5 billion); etc.

Source: http://saharareporters.com/2015/12/31/buhari’s-2016-budget-consolidation-corruption-remi-oyeyemi

Therefore, how does this budget in any way, indicate that this administration is serious about diversifying our economy.

2. OIL EXPLORATION

Isn't it disheartening that with the current economic turmoil, Buhari still allocated N39.4billion for oil exploration in the Lake Chad basin. Also, it is quite clear even to the blind that this area is plagued with insecurity and has already gulped billions of Naira in the past with nothing to show for it, yet our "amiable" president decided to waste another N39.4 billion for same ol, same ol. I think Buhari should keep digging, he might actually dig up the earth's core and then sell it to Obama.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/pdp-chieftain-faults-buharis-allocation-of-n39-4b-for-oil-exploration-in-the-north/

3. STRICT FOREX POLICIES

People laud the efforts of Buhari in this regard but fail to see the disasterious effects of the strict forex policies. Talking from experience, sometimes last year, I wanted to acquire some scrolling and twisting machines from China but after all the dollar and naira saga, I had to abandon these machines and stick to manual process. Also, we can't take away the fact that Nigeria in its present stage doesn't have the capacity to fully delve into manufacturing because we cannot even produce our own raw materials, neither do we have adequate power supply or the capacity to produce machines required for both startups and existing businesses.

4. JUDGING FROM THE PAST

APC supporters are fond of writing or saying things like what were the efforts made by the PDP to diversify our economy during their 16 years maladministration. They keep talking as if Nigeria started existing from 1999. I see this as a subtle way to absolve Buhari off blames of his own terrible dictatorship cum tyranny that crumbled our economy in the 80s.

As a sole administrator, what did Buhari do in 83/84 to diversify our economy? Rather than build on from where Shehu Shagari stopped, he destroyed the economy completely because of his so called austerity or should I say tyrannical leadership. Shehu Shagari built the massive Ajaokuta Steel Industry almost to completion (about 90% completion) but our "all-knowing" Buhari came in and abandoned that project just as he abandoned the Lagos Metro-line. This is an organization with the potentials of creating millions of direct and indirect jobs.

Does Muhammadu Buhari have some kind of resentment for anything not related to oil? Little wonder he destroyed the hopes of Nigeria becoming the giant of Africa in steel production in the 80s and here he is budgeting a paltry N9.5 billion for the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development in 2015/2016.

5. EPILEPTIC POWER SUPPLY

One would'be thought that with the bogus promises made by Buhari, Fashola and Osibanjo that the "body odour" generated power of last year would have been maintained till 2019 but here we are, back to square one, as our "unquestionable" Buhari broke record of generating 0MW of power supply for several hours.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/power-generation-crumbles-to-0mw-for-several-hours/

How will industries grow and new businesses survive within an administration if power supply is as epileptic as this?

CONCLUSION

When Buhari is ready for economic diversification, we will all know that. Fired restrictions aren't all that is needed to magically and forcefully turn an economy from a consuming one to a manufacturing one. China and co, didn't have such terrible infrastructures, poor power supply, etc. when they made the laudable jump to become the world's biggest manufacturing country. Therefore, APC should stop comparing us to China in that regards.

I will comment later
Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by amunkita(m): 8:55am On Apr 10, 2016
But buhari ve diversified the economy nah..
*Bokohram used to be only Nigerian thing but today Chad, Ghana, Cameron, re all benefiting..
*Before,its only fuel station That make money from end users but today Black market sellers re now making it big.
*INEC is not lagging behind as its diversifying the economy with Inconclusiveness..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by TPAND(f): 10:48am On Apr 10, 2016
Minister of Agriculture under Buhari is not as efficient as the one under Jonathan. one was thinking of engaging the young people in agriculture and creating loans without interest to stem further investments in Agriculture in Nigeria the other is making plans to import grass to feed the cattle

Tell me how we can diversify... It's not magic, we will only be remembered by the work we have done.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by senior123: 2:25pm On Apr 10, 2016
I know you are an IPOB supporter so I will tell you. Nigerians do not let tribalism, nepotism, bigotry and hate becloud our judgement. We voted out PDP simply because PDP ruled this country for 16 years with nothing to show for it.

1) PDP drilled the lake chad basin. Not APC. Not Buhari.

2) PDP devalued our currency and the oil prices have fallen. I know in PDP rule, rather than do the right thing and restrict foreign currency in the economy, they would devalue our currency so they can spend more coz US and EU told them to.

3) Nigerians want people who put the interest of the nation first. Not state, tribe, religion or whatever. As long as it benefits some or all groups of Nigerians in some way b4 it benefits any outsider or personal self. Most Nigerians know (except IPOB of course) that what PMB is doing, is what should have been done a very long time ago. Although it is now taking too long.

4) Most importantly, we know that for a country to prosper, we have to make sacrifices. Nationalism means individual groups will not be happy, Individuals may not happy but the nation, as a complete whole is better off. This simple concept, PDP did not understand.

5) Lastly, I love igbo people, and I can only thank God that many Igbo people do not share this delusional IPOB mentality. Anyone who votes PDP is the one allowing tribalism, nepotism, bigotry and hate becloud their judgement. Because i cannot see how any Nigerian would want even another day of PDP rule.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by Chimezie250(m): 2:49pm On Apr 10, 2016
buhari economic diversification cover only tax aspect, agriculture and manufacturing are on there own

2 Likes

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by denko(m): 2:49pm On Apr 10, 2016
Enjoy the change, change Dole has not come i guess you know what i mean. continue defending a man that has put Nigeria on reverse gear because zombism that run in your vein.
senior123:
I know you are an IPOB supporter so I will tell you. Nigerians do not let tribalism, nepotism, bigotry and hate becloud our judgement. We voted out PDP simply because PDP ruled this country for 16 years with nothing to show for it.

2) PDP devalued our currency and the oil prices have fallen. I know in PDP rule, rather than do the right thing and restrict foreign currency in the economy, they would devalue our currency so they can spend more coz US and EU told them to.

3) Nigerians want people who put the interest of the nation first. Not state, tribe, religion or whatever. As long as it benefits some or all groups of Nigerians in some way b4 it benefits any outsider or personal self. Most Nigerians know (except IPOB of course) that what PMB is doing, is what should have been done a very long time ago. Although it is now taking too long.

4) Most importantly, we know that for a country to prosper, we have to make sacrifices. Nationalism means individual groups will not be happy, Individuals may not happy but the nation, as a complete whole is better off. This simple concept, PDP did not understand.

5) Lastly, I love igbo people, and I can only thank God that many Igbo people do not share this delusional IPOB mentality. Anyone who votes PDP is the one allowing tribalism, nepotism, bigotry and hate becloud their judgement. Because i cannot see how any Nigerian would want even another day of PDP rule.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 5:03pm On Apr 10, 2016
senior123:

Lemme address your points one after the other:

Your number one shows you lack understanding and probably comprehension skills. You probably didn't see where I stated and with a link, that Buhari allocated N39.4 billion for oil exploration on the Lake Chad basin or you mischievously omitted it. Or was it PDP that forced Buhari to allocate such sum in this harsh economy with very low oil price? Wow! You need to sharpen your comprehension skills bro.

Your number two lacks substance and makes no sense because it doesn't relate to the topic and content of this thread in anyway. Can you for once grow pass this PDP-APC nonsense? I believe you're an adult, so try and reason like one.

On number three, what on earth is PMB doing? Taxing the masses to death and globetrotting while Nigerians live in darkness without fuel? If that is called working then sleeping all day is surely a hard work. Typical of zombified fellows. Check your replies and see that all it contains is hogwash and IPOB. Once again, grow up bro.

Number four shows total lack of understanding and empathy from you. Surely you're not abreast of the cries of the masses but you want it to seem like all is well when in all sincerity, the country is far worse than PMB met it.

Lastly, your comment is dumb and you're a typical case of pot calling plate black. You made no single sense and didn't even counter just one, I mean ONE of my points. You need to read up and learn bro. Peace.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by senior123: 5:25pm On Apr 10, 2016
francizy:

Lemme address your points one after the other:

Your number one shows you lack understanding and probably comprehension skills. You probably didn't see where I stated and with a link, that Buhari allocated N39.4 billion for oil exploration on the Lake Chad basin or you mischievously omitted it. Or was it PDP that forced Buhari to allocate such sum in this harsh economy with very low oil price? Wow! You need to sharpen your comprehension skills bro.

Your number two lacks substance and makes no sense because it doesn't relate to the topic and content of this thread in anyway. Can you for once grow pass this PDP-APC nonsense? I believe you're an adult, so try and reason like one.

On number three, what on earth is PMB doing? Taxing the masses to death and globetrotting while Nigerians live in darkness without fuel? If that is called working then sleeping all day is surely a hard work. Typical of zombified fellows. Check your replies and see that all it contains is hogwash and IPOB. Once again, grow up bro.

Number four shows total lack of understanding and empathy from you. Surely you're not abreast of the cries of the masses but you want it to seem like all is well when in all sincerity, the country is far worse than PMB met it.

Lastly, your comment is dumb and you're a typical case of pot calling plate black. You made no single sense and didn't even counter just one, I mean ONE of my points. You need to read up and learn bro. Peace.

Off cuz all is not well.. We know this. I am angry too. I have to wake up at 5 in abuja now to get to work early, bcoz u will not even find bus and taxis, dont bother. Sometimes I have to walk to Wuse before i get any hope of movement. I am boiling too.

But logically it is not Buhari's fault. We cannot be importing fuel when oil prices are this low. And given that oil prices have fallen, what we have or get from the oil, on which our economy is dependent must now be used wisely because we simply cannot afford to import all we used to import before.

It is simple really, you eat Mr Biggs everyday because u earn 100,000 monthly. One day computer replaces ur job role and u get demoted. Now u earn 50,000 a month. You must now begin to eat Mama put, live in a smaller house or borrow money to continue ur 100,000 lifestyle until u find a new job and payback. What u owe depends on how long it takes to find a new job. Or you can just suck it up, live at ur 50,000 standard and upgrade ur skills so u don not get kicked out again while u find a job.
[LAYMAN EXPLANATION]
Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 5:35pm On Apr 10, 2016
senior123:

Off cuz all is not well.. We know this. I am angry too. I have to wake up at 5 in abuja now to get to work early, bcoz u will not even find bus and taxis, dont bother. Sometimes I have to walk to Wuse before i get any hope of movement. I am boiling too.

But logically it is not Buhari's fault. We cannot be importing fuel when oil prices are this low. And given that oil prices have fallen, what we have or get from the oil, on which our economy is dependent must now be used wisely because we simply cannot afford to import all we used to import before.

It is simple really, you eat Mr Biggs everyday because u earn 100,000 monthly. One day computer replaces ur job role and u get demoted. Now u earn 50,000 a month. You must now begin to eat Mama put, live in a smaller house or borrow money to continue ur 100,000 lifestyle until u find a new job and payback. What u owe depends on how long it takes to find a new job. Or you can just suck it up, live at ur 50,000 standard and upgrade ur skills so u don not get kicked out again while u find a job.
[LAYMAN EXPLANATION]

Keep fuel importation aside first. Now let's talk about the points I raised which you failed to address but rather chose to divert my attention to something else. What are Buhari's plans for economic diversification? Is it not the same commodity your talking about that Buhari allocated N39.4 billion for its exploration in the Lake Chad basin, after all past government have tried and failed in that aspect?

Where is the power? Or is it not also Buhari's fault that we don't have power?

Why did Buhari budget so little in areas that needed much attention and that may enable us achieve diversification but budgets so much on irrelelvances?

Can a man who killed our dreams in Ajaokuta Steel, in the 80s, be trusted to revive such a massive company with so much potentials?

Tackle my points and stop diverging bro..

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by senior123: 6:02pm On Apr 10, 2016
francizy:

Keep fuel importation aside first. Now let's talk about the points I raised which you failed to address but rather chose to divert my attention to something else. What are Buhari's plans for economic diversification? Is it not the same commodity your talking about that Buhari allocated N39.4 billion for its exploration in the Lake Chad basin after all past government has tried and failed in that aspect?

Where is the power? Or is it not also Buhari's fault that we don't have power?

Why did Buhari budget so little in areas that needed much attention and that may enable us achieve diversification but budgets so much on irrelelvances?

Can a man who killed the our dreams in Ajaokuta Steel, in the 80s, be trusted to revive such a massive company with so much potentials?

Tackle my points and stop diverging bro..

Diversification of the economy is not going to happen over night. You can see how much they are investing in agriculture. Agriculture is a major selling point for African nations now because as the world runs out of food sources they hope African would feed them organic foods. So in about 4 years we should get it done.
On power I never believed our money should be wasted developing power production plants like we did in the past. Or trying to revive the old model of Nepa. We need to invest in clean energy. The way we currently produce electricity is not sustainable and not good for the environment in the long run. I honestly do not want Buhari to invest anything in this PHCN. It is a waste of time. We must now move forward and utilize our energy bases in the country. How is it his fault? I do not understand you. If the production of power is dependent on the production or supply of any oil by-product, then obviously we wont have power until the oil problem is solved.

We need to reduce our dependencies on oil AHHH. Oil for all the cars in Nigeria, Oil for power, Oil for production... there are better ways to do things.

1 Like

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 6:19pm On Apr 10, 2016
senior123:

Diversification of the economy is not going to happen over night. You can see how much they are investing in agriculture. Agriculture is a major selling point for African nations now because as the world runs out of food sources they hope African would feed them organic foods. So in about 4 years we should get it done.
On power I never believed our money should be wasted developing power production plants like we did in the past. Or trying to revive the old model of Nepa. We need to invest in clean energy. The way we currently produce electricity is not sustainable and not good for the environment in the long run. I honestly do not want Buhari to invest anything in this PHCN. It is a waste of time. We must now move forward and utilize our energy bases in the country. How is it his fault? I do not understand you. If the production of power is dependent on the production or supply of any oil by-product, then obviously we wont have power until the oil problem is solved.

We need to reduce our dependencies on oil AHHH. Oil for all the cars in Nigeria, Oil for power, Oil for production... there are better ways to do things.

How much was budgeted for Agriculture? Compare that to the one budgeted for Liar MohamMAD's propaganda ministry. Do you even know that the budget for Information and Culture ministry is approximately equal to that of Agriculture and Mines and Steel combined?

You're talking about dependency on oil and the need to move away from oil, but failed to address the issue raised about Buhari's allocation for oil exploration in Lake Chad basin.

Lemme get this straight, Buhari wins election and power supply improved within two days of his getting into the position and y'all applauded him, claiming that his body language odour was responsible for the improved supply but then again power supply slumps (to an all time low even with 50% increase in tariff under Buhari) and you want to excuse him from the whole issue? Same you folks that blamed GEJ for virtually everything?

You can try again..

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by senior123: 6:54pm On Apr 10, 2016
francizy:

How much was budgeted for Agriculture? Compare that to the one budgeted for Liar MohamMAD's propaganda ministry. Do you even know that the budget for Information and Culture ministry is approximately equal to that of Agriculture and Mines and Steel combined?

You're talking about dependency on oil and the need to move away from oil, but failed to address the issue raised about Buhari's allocation for oil exploration in Lake Chad basin.

Lemme get this straight, Buhari wins election and power supply improved within two days of his getting into the position and y'all applauded him, claiming that his body language odour was responsible for the improved supply but then again power supply slumps (to an all time low even with 50% increase in tariff under Buhari) and you want to excuse him from the whole issue? Same you folks that blamed GEJ for virtually everything?

You can try again..

Ok so what do you want ot do now? Even if u bring in another person it is d same thing. So please carry ur IPOB hatred somewhere else plz.
Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by grandstar(m): 6:59pm On Apr 10, 2016
senior123:

Soludo, Sanusi and lately Utomi have all condemned Buhari's economic policies

Buharis an economic illiterate and that's why theres chronic dollar shortages that's ruining the economy

He also refused to adhere to sound economic advise by kachikwu to deregulate the fuel price plunging the country into this present nightmare

GEJ's government was steeped in. corruption but Buhari's is economic incompetence

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 7:04pm On Apr 10, 2016
senior123:

Ok so what do you want ot do now? Even if u bring in another person it is d same thing. So please carry ur IPOB hatred somewhere else plz.

Very typical of zombified fellows.. The only abbreviation their brains can process and type is IPOB.

He couldn't counter my point but danced around the subject matter without making any meaningful contribution. When it dawned on him that he's caught up in the dance of shame, he chickens out. I leave you with this Martin Onovo masterpiece (modified)..

"No amount of money is enough for a visionless, clueless, directionless, nepotistic, tribalistic and confused government"

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by jtwest(m): 7:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
The main concern is that there is no blueprint plan on how to achieve economic diversification, nothing concrete for us to follow up on, and it is expedient that some issues have to be addressed and some sectors like power, industrial and even educational sectors have to be in better shape b4 dis diversification the government is talking about can be successful, then we face the challenge of continuity. I think where he got things wrong was the abrupt change he tried to implement without first surveying what's on the ground. His action backfired on the masses and the economy nose dived, or maybe thiS is d side effect of what he is implementing and after some time we will see that he has be pressing d right buttons in camera from the on-set.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by jtwest(m): 7:15pm On Apr 10, 2016
Some figures in that budget sound like a joke, it feels like the government is still making oil its priority, as of the this time I feel almost equal attention should be paid to all the source of our resources, with the huge quantity and diverse resources that we have in this country, in a year or two with right application of brain and employing advanced nation's help, we might actually find ourselves free from over dependence on oil and have diverse job opportunities, revenue, foreign exchange and less dependence on importation. But first we need to step back and calculate where we go it wrong, dats what Mr president ain't doing.
He needs to stop playing the blame game and start sensitizing Nigerians on solutions to the challenges. That's when the wailers might stop wailing.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 7:16pm On Apr 10, 2016
jtwest:
The main concern is that there is no blueprint plan on how to achieve economic diversification, nothing concrete for us to follow up on, and it is expedient that some issues have to be addressed and some sectors like power, industrial and even educational sectors have to be in better shape b4 dis diversification the government is talking about can be successful, then we face the challenge of continuity. I think where he got things wrong was the abrupt change he tried to implement without first surveying what's on the ground. His action backfired on the masses and the economy nose dived, or maybe thiS is d side effect of what he is implementing and after some time we will see that he has be pressing d right buttons in camera from the on-set.

Meaningful comment here, unlike the other guy that kept on talking hogwash. Well, it's good to have hope but I can't put my hope in a man that killed Ajaokuta Steel in the 80s only to come back as a civilian President to budget a paltry N9.5 billion for a ministry that overseas steel and ore mining in the country. Before his election, Buhari did the big talks, made so much noise about focusing on mining (of ores which we have in abundance). What happened now?

Let me wait till next year and see if he will use his brains by then because as far as I'm concerned, he has already wasted 2015 and 2016..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by oganology33(m): 7:17pm On Apr 10, 2016
Diversification of the economy is totally out of this Admin's plans, With such low budget 4 Agriculture.
How can PMB diversify from Oil wen he made himself the Petroleum Minister instead of Minister 4 Agric, Solid minerals or any oda ministry/sector he wishes 2 diversify to.
The progress made by GEJ in Agric. is gradually wasting.
GEJ no try. But he was great @ the Agric sector.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 7:27pm On Apr 10, 2016
oganology33:
Diversification of the economy is totally out of this Admin's plans, With such low budget 4 Agriculture.
How can PMB diversify from Oil wen he made himself the Petroleum Minister instead of Minister 4 Agric, Solid minerals or any oda ministry/sector he wishes 2 diversify to.
The progress made by GEJ in Agric. is gradually wasting.
GEJ no try. But he was great @ the Agric sector.

Very well said! But let's even go beyond Agriculture, why would Ministry of Industry, Trade and investment; Mines and Steel Development; Water Resources, etc, get so little? Why? You just need to multiply his feeding budget (N1.7 billion) by single digit numbers to get the budgetary allocations for all these important ministries but yet, some people come here to talk trash about Buhari working his arse off and some other ones saying that diversification can't be achieved within a year.

We all know it can't be achieved within a year but where are the plans? If the government was serious about diversifying our economy, the budget would have shown it clearly but we all know that he's not serious about it. All he does is to impose taxes here and there without any meaningful thing to show for the ridiculous taxes the masses pays.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 8:27pm On Apr 10, 2016
jtwest:
Some figures in that budget sound like a joke, it feels like the government is still making oil its priority, as of the this time I feel almost equal attention should be paid to all the source of our resources, with the huge quantity and diverse resources that we have in this country, in a year or two with right application of brain and employing advanced nation's help, we might actually find ourselves free from over dependence on oil and have diverse job opportunities, revenue, foreign exchange and less dependence on importation. But first we need to step back and calculate where we go it wrong, dats what Mr president ain't doing.
He needs to stop playing the blame game and start sensitizing Nigerians on solutions to the challenges. That's when the wailers might stop wailing.

A million likes for this post! Don't even know how manage I didn't see it initially.. I agree with all you wrote!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by senior123: 11:16pm On Apr 10, 2016
grandstar:
Soludo, Sanusi and lately Utomi have all condemned Buhari's economic policies

Buharis an economic illiterate and that's why theres chronic dollar shortages that's ruining the economy

He also refused to adhere to sound economic advise by kachikwu to deregulate the fuel price plunging the country into this present nightmare

GEJ's government was steeped in. corruption but Buhari's is economic incompetence

Who is Soludo? Who is Sanusi? Those ones that were pasties for corruption and looting. Mstweeeeee..... Soludos economic policies on benefited those doing international trade while Sanusi's benefit the average Nigerian Capitalist/Business man wishing to minimize as much cost but make massive benefits. So forgive me if I choose to decline their perspective
Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by 1wolex85: 11:43pm On Apr 10, 2016
francizy:

You can try again..

When you look at a budget, you need to look at it holistically. I will give one example as I don't have details of everything. If they go ahead with their one meal a day plan, imagine what that would do for the agricultural sector. The budget for this is in the social intervention fund not the agric ministry's budget. So sometimes, these things may overlap.
Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 5:00am On Apr 11, 2016
1wolex85:

When you look at a budget, you need to look at it holistically. I will give one example as I don't have details of everything. If they go ahead with their one meal a day plan, imagine what that would do for the agricultural sector. The budget for this is in the social intervention fund not the agric ministry's budget. So sometimes, these things may overlap.

Which one meal pa day? The one they already outsourced to NASCO? That program is nothing but a waste of fund. Instead of carrying on with one of the best programmes GEJ initiated, YouWiN, they decided to create one yeye one meal pa day programme. Engage the people in Entrepreneurship and see them feeding their children and by extension children of others, not you feeding their kids and leaving the father in penury.

The reason GEJ's tenure provided a boast in Agriculture was because of his (Akinwumi Adesina) Agricultural policies and the YouWiN programme thru which they selected more Agro businesses than businesses from other sectors. A programme that selects about 1,200 - 1,500 participants pa year of which over 50% of the ideas/businesses are agro biz, why won't there be a boast in our Agricultural sector?

Now can you kindly tell me how the budgetary allocation for other ministries with meagre funds overlap with other allocated funds?

2 Likes

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by kenny987(f): 5:18am On Apr 11, 2016
Francizy! Nne gi musili gi ike!

I followed ur arguments with that nitwit who could only fall back on IPOB as the cause of his problems. I shook my head at his petulance at the end asking you to carry your IPOB hatred elsewhere...lol.

You see, when sane people started to sound the alarm early in the life of ds govt, all those good-for-nothing zombies were just saying it's only a few days or weeks. Now in about 6weeks fom today, we will start counting in years and it will go down in history that Nigeria took a turn for the worst precisely from March 28th, 2015 and has been running down the slippery slope of failure this past year.

The intentions of any person no matter how noble only amount to sh(i)t provided the persons who are supposed to be the primary recipients and beneficiaries of said intentions end up suffering and falling into penury because of these same intentions. If it does not translate to better life and provisions, it is dead on arrival. Therefore anyone who deceived others to believe in noble intentions without the ability to bring them into reality as promised is the devil himself or worse.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 5:42am On Apr 11, 2016
kenny987:
Francizy! Nne gi musili gi ike!

I followed ur arguments with that nitwit who could only fall back on IPOB as the cause of his problems. I shook my head at his petulance at the end asking you to carry your IPOB hatred elsewhere...lol.

You see, when sane people started to sound the alarm early in the life of ds govt, all those good-for-nothing zombies were just saying it's only a few days or weeks. Now in about 6weeks fom today, we will start counting in years and it will go down in history that Nigeria took a turn for the worst precisely from March 28th, 2015 and has been running down the slippery slope of failure this past year.

The intentions of any person no matter how noble only amount to sh(i)t provided the persons who are supposed to be the primary recipients and beneficiaries of said intentions end up suffering and falling into penury because of these same intentions. If it does not translate to better life and provisions, it is dead on arrival. Therefore anyone who deceived others to believe in noble intentions without the ability to bring them into reality as promised is the devil himself or worse.

Odiegwu nwanne'm nwanyi! Can you imagine? The most useless comment on this thread, that failed to address anything was liked and shared by some set of silly zombies. Show how slow Buhari fans are. The thing is, Buhari's brains were never wired for democracy but autocracy cum tyranny. I wouldn't be surprised if his ministers never get to achieve anything meaningful because of how he always want to be in charge of everything but knows little or nothing. Even with his so much love for anything oil, he's still failing woefully as a petroleum minister. Goes to show he lacks substance.

Check everything this government is on about, corruption, corruption, corruption. They never say anything meaningful about how they will tackle the economic and other social crises Nigerians are experiencing at the moment. It's just corruption tale everywhere. Thank goodness the few reasonable zombies have acquired brains while the multitude still remain zombies.

By the way, if Buhari keeps moving in this direction, then let Nigerians stop thinking/dreaming of diversification because it will never be achieved like this. We all know who Buhari is, his intentions and character were boldly exhibited for all to see but some people will always tow the tribal/religious line in politics. That's definitely not gonna help Nigeria progress in anyway.
Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by 1wolex85: 6:01am On Apr 11, 2016
francizy:

Which one meal pa day? The one they already outsourced to NASCO? That program is nothing but a waste of fund. Instead of carrying on with one of the best programmes GEJ initiated, YouWiN, they decided to create one yeye one meal pa day programme. Engage the people in Entrepreneurship and see them feeding their children and by extension children of others, not you feeding their kids and leaving the father in penury.

The reason GEJ's tenure provided a boast in Agriculture was because of his (Akinwumi Adesina) Agricultural policies and the YouWiN programme thru which they selected more Agro businesses than businesses from other sectors. A programme that selects about 1,200 - 1,500 participants pa year of which over 50% of the ideas/businesses are agro biz, why won't there be a boast in our Agricultural sector?

Now can you kindly tell me how the budgetary allocation for other ministries with meagre funds overlap with other allocated funds?
Baba, there is no single road to success. Are you really here to examine the budget or to wail? if it is to wail, abeg I don't have time , a budget has not been passed you are talking about nasco. From what you are doing, you just want to argue and prove yourself right. Everything I wrote is wrong and everything you wrote is right.
Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 6:09am On Apr 11, 2016
1wolex85:

Baba, there is no single road to success. Are you really here to examine the budget or to wail? if it is to wail, abeg I don't have time , a budget has not been passed you are talking about nasco. From what you are doing, you just want to argue and prove yourself right. Everything I wrote is wrong and everything you wrote is right.

I like to see how Nasco biscuit will improve the lives of the farmers in this country bro. As you saw on my OP, I didn't talk about budget alone. I talked about four other things so don't make it seem like talked only about budget and only agriculture ministry is the focal point of the budget..
Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by KINGwax007(m): 6:19am On Apr 11, 2016
It is best to keep quiet than display utter ignorance.

In the words of ab d rushin- it is a sin to say we knw, when actually, we only knew in part and not in totality.

1. Agricultural diversification started again with OBJ and after the complaints by CBN during GEJ's administration that billions of agricultural loans are returned every year because our youths refused to access them as much as they shld, then how is it sensible to increase something that always returns back unaccessed?

2. Oil exploration.

While we plan to diversify, must we close the oil wells? Diversification means generating revenue through other means and not what u are thinking. Besides, must the drilling and exploration which has started during the PDP era, be abandoned?

3. Strict forex policy.
How many times did we explain this part? You want diversification, but y'all want ready made imported products. CBN banned the use of forex on materials that can be produced locally and sought on the same medium. The truth is, people dnt even realise that there is a 220billon CBN laon that you can access so easily, if you ever think of going into the manufacturing sector. That is how well the govt meant her diversification mantra!

Now, about your machines. Pls, patronize the local fabricators. They are as well as willing to meet your demand. China started with bamboos, now, they're there.

4. Power supply.

I sure knw that you IPODs knw exactly howbwe for here. You all knw how the supply dropped! Few months back, we were rejoicing as abandoned power plants got fed with gas and power generation hit the all time high in the history if the nation. We thought we could only go further until your brothers, shielded by your sisters, started blowing up gas pipes and all that. Shebi we all watch CNN and local stations as the flames and fumes added to the already depleted ozone layer!

Now. It is buhari's fault...

Of course, he sponsored the 'Creek btothers' who were doing all that as a protest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by 1wolex85: 6:34am On Apr 11, 2016
francizy:

I like to see how Nasco biscuit will improve the lives of the farmers in this country bro. As you saw on my OP, I didn't talk about budget alone. I talked about four other things so don't make it seem like talked only about budget and only agriculture ministry is the focal point of the budget..

I would have loved to discuss, but it appears all you want to do is to show how bad this admin is and how good the previous was. This you can't determine till 2019 and it is not compulsory they follow the approach you believe is right
Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 6:38am On Apr 11, 2016
1wolex85:

I would have loved to discuss, but it appears all you want to do is to show how bad this admin is and how good the previous was. This you can't determine till 2019 and it is not compulsory they follow the approach you believe is right

Whatever rocks your sneakers bro... cool
Re: Economic Diversification - Not A Buhari Thing.. by francizy(m): 6:50am On Apr 11, 2016
KINGwax007:
It is best to keep quiet than display utter ignorance.

In the words of ab d rushin- it is a sin to say we knw, when actually, we only knew in part and not in totality.

1. Agricultural diversification started again with OBJ and after the complaints by CBN during GEJ's administration that billions of agricultural loans are returned every year because our youths refused to access them as much as they shld, then how is it sensible to increase something that always returns back unaccessed?

2. Oil exploration.

While we plan to diversify, must we close the oil wells? Diversification means generating revenue through other means and not what u are thinking. Besides, must the drilling and exploration which has started during the PDP era, be abandoned?

3. Strict forex policy.
How many times did we explain this part? You want diversification, but y'all want ready made imported products. CBN banned the use of forex on materials that can be produced locally and sought on the same medium. The truth is, people dnt even realise that there is a 220billon CBN laon that you can access so easily, if you ever think of going into the manufacturing sector. That is how well the govt meant her diversification mantra!

Now, about your machines. Pls, patronize the local fabricators. They are as well as willing to meet your demand. China started with bamboos, now, they're there.

4. Power supply.

I sure knw that you IPODs knw exactly howbwe for here. You all knw how the supply dropped! Few months back, we were rejoicing as abandoned power plants got fed with gas and power generation hit the all time high in the history if the nation. We thought we could only go further until your brothers, shielded by your sisters, started blowing up gas pipes and all that. Shebi we all watch CNN and local stations as the flames and fumes added to the already depleted ozone layer!

Now. It is buhari's fault...

Of course, he sponsored the 'Creek btothers' who were doing all that as a protest.

Where is your link/proof to point number one? Or you think you can just counter a thread with links based on what you may have produced from your head. By the way, if loans were'nt accessed, what happened to grants?

On number two, you being mischievous. Several has come and tried and all indications are that oil ain't present in commercial quantity. By the way, why waste billions on oil exploration when the said billions can be allocated to other revenue sources or ministries? Guy your point here is as useless as garbage.

Lmao! I talked about manufacturers and you're talking about end users. Guy, how do we obtain raw materials locally when the companies that're supposed to manufacture such raw materials aren't even there? For example, if I want to establish an automobile coy, how do I get steel for parts of my car and cast iron for my engine when the Ajaokuta that's supposed to be providing us with such materials ain't even delivering and hence, making it quite cheap for one to import such from China? You have to ensure things are in place before taking touch decisions, unlike what we have presently..

I laughed out loud at your number four! Who's the C-in-C? Is it not Buhari? If he cannot provide security for pipelines and other facilities like that, then of what use is he as a president. Low power supply is def his fault because he failed to provide securities for those facilities..

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING...SSS Seals Appropriation Committee Secretariat Over Budget Padding / Boko Haram: Abubakar Shekau Reappears Again- SR / Tinubu Signals Intention To Dump APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 175
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.