Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Nightmare In The Morning (flash Fiction) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nightmare In The Morning (flash Fiction) (553 Views)

Nightmare In Daylight / MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) / Short Story "My Worst Nightmare" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nightmare In The Morning (flash Fiction) by nicholausian(m): 11:34am On Apr 10, 2016
Nightmare in the Morning

My mama used to tell me that things could follow you, and no matter where you go, they could find you.

When I was six, my father went away with his brothers and never came back, mama said he went to pot, and I used to wonder how a grown man could fit into a cooking pot - it had to be big, I had concluded. Not until much later, did I understand that she'd meant Port Harcourt.

But Mama didn't tell me he had been mad, that that was why she had had to send him to that native doctor; to his death.

It was a generational curse for people to go mad in my family. Aunt Etinosa went mad on her wedding day, and Uncle Monday, well, there's a rumour he's still roaming the markets of Dutse.

Before my mother hung herself, she told me of a tittle-tattle going around the family.

Supposedly, there were some signs the soon-to-be-insane would see. The most significant was the having of nightmare. This nightmare, unlike usual nightmares, came in the morning, just before cockcrow.

Three days ago, I had such a nightmare. In the dream, I dug a pit with so much purpose, and as dreams go, I felt I knew this purpose. But the digging never ended and it only seemed like I was descending into a bottomless pit of my making. Then I saw the eyes at the bottom of the pits, looking at me and they felt near and their eyes were heavy with derision, coldness and death.

"It's okay, " the dibia said as he listened to me describe my dreams, "I'll help you."

I was in a shrine seeking help against my coming insanity. The shrine was a mud house, with all the decor of Nollywood shrines. It had the idols with eyes similar to my dreams and it looked sort of familiar...

" Ewaen! " it's my mother's voice.

" Mama? "

" You were telling me about your dream, what did you say happened as you dug? "

I feel six-year-old, and I'm back in my childhood home.

" Where's Papa? "

" He's in the room."

Things could follow you.

Mama shifts in her chair, "Ewaen, tell me your dream quickly, I have to get your papa ready for his brothers, he's going to pot today."

(1) (Reply)

I Concur / Unending Hate Fuelled By Envy / The Poets' Den

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.