Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,422 members, 7,819,519 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities (847 Views)

Have You Noticed The Calmness In Nigeria With Osibanjo As Acting President?photo / Lauretta Onochie During Fuel Subsidy Protest In 2012 (Throwback Photos) / I Have Learnt From My Mistakes, 2017 Will Be Trophy-laden - Dalung (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by jarkbauer: 11:39am On Apr 10, 2016
Traffic problems are not new to Lagosians. But no Lagosian loves the problems associated with busy roads.
One may however notice and wonder why traffic jams reduces whenever there is fuel scarcity. The answer is not farfetched; fewer cars on the road.
This can be interpreted as, the fewer the cars on the road the lesser the traffic jams. Beautiful!

During peak periods, analysis of vehicles on the road shows that if there are 100 cars on the road, 50% are one-passenger-occupant vehicles, 20% are many-occupants vehicles while 20% are commercial buses and the rest trucks and articulated vehicles

Then comes this other question, did people abandon their duty post because of unavailability of fuel? NO. They simply adjusted and blended with realities of the time -No fuel.

Many private car owners resorted to these ways
- Public transport
- Carpooling
- Working from home.

Public transport in Lagos is easily understandable, Danfos, Red Lagbuses, Blue BRTs etc. Carpooling is the sharing of car journeys so that more than one person travels in a car. So whoever gets fuel gets to carry everybody.

Many companies realized some of their workers could actually work from home, and advised such.
So the question is how can the LASG simulate something similar to a fuel-crises-induced car reduction on Lagos roads? Make it more expensive to drive some certain type of vehicles during certain periods. BUT provide comfortable alternatives.

1) Provision of adequate, readily available and comfortable high capacity air-conditioned buses in almost all major bus stops around Lagos. For example, on Lagos/Ibadan axis bus stops like Berger, Magodo/7UP, Ojota, Alapere, Ogudu, Gbagada, Oworo. Medium capacity buses should be provided for easy street-street movement on Lagos Island.

2) Introduction of peak period toll gates. Toll gates which would be tolled between the hours of 5:00 am to 10:00 am and 5pm to 10pm every day except weekend and public holidays. Most traffic in Lagos during peak periods are of those going to Lagos Island, Apapa and Ikeja metropolis.

Who should be tolled? Private Sedan and SUVs or any low capacity cars should be tolled while Taxis, Minivans, buses (e.g. Danfos) trucks trailers should be exempted.

Lagos hate tolls and it is understandable, however the merits and essence of this toll arrangement outweighs its demerits, and besides there would be provisions for alternatives! Lagos needs agile and healthy workforce. Spending hours in daily traffic has many adverse effects on our body. Many Lagosians are hypertensive, have stress induced heart disease and die daily from stress.
There are no benefits or comfort spending hours in traffic driving while if this idea is adopted you can easily get to and from work and have others drive for you.

The time frame is specifically to help to who go to work early.
We know the long term solution to Lagos traffic is mass transit by rails and trains but before its availability the adoption of this may make life in Lagos a little more bearable.

cc myd44, lalasticlala seun

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by bigass(f): 11:47am On Apr 10, 2016
I live in Ojodu Berger I work in Lagos Island. I drive 2 hours in the morning to get to work and 3 hours at night to get home. I am battling BP issues, I sleep about 5 hrs daily. If this arrangement will make me spend 1 hour combined on the road to and fro.. I will gladly ride the buses and drop my car.
Re: Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by ki02020(m): 12:01pm On Apr 10, 2016
jarkbauer:
Traffic problems are not new to Lagosians. But no Lagosian loves the problems associated with busy roads.
One may however notice and wonder why traffic jams reduces whenever there is fuel scarcity. The answer is not farfetched; fewer cars on the road.
This can be interpreted as, the fewer the cars on the road the lesser the traffic jams. Beautiful!

During peak periods, analysis of vehicles on the road shows that if there are 100 cars on the road, 50% are one-passenger-occupant vehicles, 20% are many-occupants vehicles while 20% are commercial buses and the rest trucks and articulated vehicles

Then comes this other question, did people abandon their duty post because of unavailability of fuel? NO. They simply adjusted and blended with realities of the time -No fuel.

Many private car owners resorted to these ways
- Public transport
- Carpooling
- Working from home.

Public transport in Lagos is easily understandable, Danfos, Red Lagbuses, Blue BRTs etc. Carpooling is the sharing of car journeys so that more than one person travels in a car. So whoever gets fuel gets to carry everybody.

Many companies realized some of their workers could actually work from home, and advised such.
So the question is how can the LASG simulate something similar to a fuel-crises-induced car reduction on Lagos roads? Make it more expensive to drive some certain type of vehicles during certain periods. BUT provide comfortable alternatives.

1) Provision of adequate, readily available and comfortable high capacity air-conditioned buses in almost all major bus stops around Lagos. For example, on Lagos/Ibadan axis bus stops like Berger, Magodo/7UP, Ojota, Alapere, Ogudu, Gbagada, Oworo. Medium capacity buses should be provided for easy street-street movement on Lagos Island.

2) Introduction of peak period toll gates. Toll gates which would be tolled between the hours of 5:00 am to 10:00 am and 5pm to 10pm every day except weekend and public holidays. Most traffic in Lagos during peak periods are of those going to Lagos Island, Apapa and Ikeja metropolis.

Who should be tolled? Private Sedan and SUVs or any low capacity cars should be tolled while Taxis, Minivans, buses (egg. Danfos) trucks trailers should be exempted.

Lagos hate tolls and it is understandable, however the merits and essence of this toll arrangement outweighs its demerits, and besides there would be provisions for alternatives! Lagos needs agile and healthy workforce. Spending hours in daily traffic has many adverse effects on our body. Many Lagosians are hypertensive, have stress induced heart disease and die daily from stress.
There are no benefits or comfort spending hours in traffic driving while if this idea is adopted you can easily get to and from work and have others drive for you.

The time frame is specifically to help to who go to work early.
We know the long term solution to Lagos traffic is mass transit by rails and trains but before its availability the adoption of this may make life in Lagos a little more bearable.

cc myd44, lalasticlala seun

I agree with your PRE- traffic solution which can also be a source of fund(money from toll gates) to the final solution(mass transit scheme, train and co)
Re: Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by jarkbauer: 4:17pm On Apr 10, 2016
Seun Mynd44 Lalasticlala

Moderator Kindly move this to frontpage. I want people's opinion on this matter.
Re: Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by 9jatriot(m): 4:43pm On Apr 10, 2016
A semblance of this model was tried on lekki epe express way, am sure you know the fall out was. the opposition made it a campaign point. No government will risk this in Lag. You will only be arming the opposition.
Re: Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by jarkbauer: 4:46pm On Apr 10, 2016
9jatriot:
A semblance of this model was tried on lekki epe express way, am sure you know the fall out was. the opposition made it a campaign point. No government will risk this in Lag. You will only be arming the opposition.

Nice opinion. Does this make it a bad idea?
Re: Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by Grundig: 5:04pm On Apr 10, 2016
There's a congestion charge in central London but it hasnt stopped the long stretch ofcentral london and its envions from being congested especially during peak periods.

A mega city will alays have and battle with traffic issues. Tolling ahighly congested area is never a solution. However, imposing a heavy daily charge should go along away in dissuading motorists and car owner.

In lagos, I propose a #1k daily charge. #2k and #2k5 for suv's and articlated vehicles respectively.
Re: Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by BushidoBlue(m): 10:31pm On Apr 10, 2016
One suggestion would be light rail
Re: Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by duduade: 11:19pm On Apr 10, 2016
Grundig:
There's a congestion charge in central London but it hasnt stopped the long stretch ofcentral london and its envions from being congested especially during peak periods.

A mega city will alays have and battle with traffic issues. Tolling ahighly congested area is never a solution. However, imposing a heavy daily charge should go along away in dissuading motorists and car owner.

In lagos, I propose a #1k daily charge. #2k and #2k5 for suv's and articlated vehicles respectively.

This one na die... A normal car will have six passengers and one driver.. No more SUVs... LMAO
Re: Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by slimfit1(m): 12:33am On Apr 11, 2016
Grundig:

Having said that there is traffic in London there is funds in London mayor to spend too, It has still helped insome sort of way it has discourage 40% of Londoners from travelling into London I can guarantee you of that.

As long as they flood the place with more brt buses it would make Lagos traffic more calmer.
Re: Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by jarkbauer: 12:44am On Apr 11, 2016
I am firm believer that essence of governance is to protect the people.I spend 4 hours everyday to and fro everyday. Putting up tolls everywhere to reduce traffic wont be a bad idea.
Re: Lagos Traffic Problems: Solutions Learnt From Calmness During Fuel Scarcities by jarkbauer: 7:51am On Apr 11, 2016
As you go to work today count the number of single passenger cars you see on the road.

(1) (Reply)

Commotion At MMIA 2day As Policeman Harasses A Lady Wit Gun,Seize Her Phone(Pics / How I'll Kill Tribalism In Nigeria When I Become The President / 2016 Budget: At Last, Presidency, National Assembly Reach Truce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.