Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses (26267 Views)

Best Universities In Nigeria 2018 To Study Engineering Courses / Best Engineering Courses To Study In Nigeria 2018 / Will Unical Offer Admission Into Engineering Courses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Marley01(m): 8:13pm On Apr 10, 2016
Who tiff my jerry can for this queue?
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 8:15pm On Apr 10, 2016
Rili......... undecided undecided....

Even though I'm the only girl in class, It doesn't matter.....cheesy

What a guy can do a gal can do it better....
.....grin

Proudly an Archi student

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 8:17pm On Apr 10, 2016
juhan:
ahn is it by force? How come most of u guys are interested in engineering
We're not confined to engineering .. we're spread out... there's NP course where you'll find less boys.. but there is a course where you find less girls— Engineering
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Cornerstone001: 8:19pm On Apr 10, 2016
anochuko01:
Them wan die nii? Its either you stay and loss your feminism or you go away! And most ladies can't sacrifice that much! cheesy
I rep Mech engine!
I also represent Mech engr

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 8:21pm On Apr 10, 2016
CaptainECole:
We're not confined to engineering .. we're spread out... there's NP course where you'll find less boys.. but there is a course where you find less girls— Engineering
okay....

they're cool sha....

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by ndcide(m): 8:21pm On Apr 10, 2016
The only Reason is the Mathematics involved and the mentality of engineering being about hammer, screw driver, bolts and nuts.

Ladies spend more time and money in medical college, so.. Forget.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by anochuko01(m): 8:23pm On Apr 10, 2016
Marley01:
Who tiff my jerry can for this queue?
Jonzing mourinho! grin
Where you too go! tongue
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by nnadychuks(m): 8:24pm On Apr 10, 2016
Seunpaul01:
Females are too weak to deal with engines.
bro, there is a difference between engineers and technicians... Only technicians from polytechnics should handle hard work, not engineers

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Udochee(m): 8:25pm On Apr 10, 2016
but some girls still venture it. and the babes will b dragging workshop & engine drawing with us. with time the babes gradually start to become boyish (tho not all sha).
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by zikter(m): 8:25pm On Apr 10, 2016
op, including medicals has invalidated most of ur pts sha. but during my school days, I saw a lot of females in maths stats n computer.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Marley01(m): 8:28pm On Apr 10, 2016
anochuko01:

Jonzing mourinho! grin
Where you too go! tongue

Bros I dy suspect u oo..abeg make una check d boot of en keke for my gallon. Lol
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by joey150(m): 8:35pm On Apr 10, 2016
kodlins:

Hian
What a reason!
Proudly an Engineer
Sorry theoritical or practical....its not about solving all the maths or analysis... Can you work hands on?
Which branch of engineering did you read also?
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by uchennn: 8:41pm On Apr 10, 2016
anochuko01:
Them wan die nii?
Its either you stay and loss your feminism or you go away!
And most ladies can't sacrifice that much! cheesy

I rep Mech engine!

Okay, thank you. Next person please.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by banio: 8:42pm On Apr 10, 2016
Girls are not afraid of calculations.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by EazyMoh(m): 8:45pm On Apr 10, 2016
CaptainECole:
As in ehn the ratio is ridiculous! when we graduated we were about 47 in our class, but only 3 (three) ladies!
But I don't think there is any course that is 44:3 girls to boys ratio. Except may be midwifery.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Mmmy(f): 8:46pm On Apr 10, 2016
Actually, I'm an engineer. I planned on being an engineer since i was a kid, same way my sister choose medicine when she was a kid. I think if thats what you want, gender has nothing to do with it, as for your Maths theory of women being scared, thats hogwash i dominated Maths and TD and most of the boys in the class were behind me so there!!

6 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by missyadorable(f): 8:46pm On Apr 10, 2016
I don't quite agree with point 1.

Nursing is 5 years

Medicine and surgery is 6years and more

Law is 5 years

Pharmacy is 5 years

And there are a whole lot of females studying these courses.

I think it's the technicality of STEM courses and the fact that most of its jobs require physical energy, that scares women away from it

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by anochuko01(m): 8:48pm On Apr 10, 2016
uchennn:

Okay, thank you. Next person please.

tongue tongue

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by banme1(m): 8:51pm On Apr 10, 2016
Imagine a guy in micro biology dept.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by nikkypearl(f): 8:55pm On Apr 10, 2016
It is not easy especially this days for a lady to study any engineering course..you have to deprive yourself of so many stuffs

I studied Architecture and for good 5yrs..I didn't step my feet in a good saloon!"No time ..' I spent most of my time in the studio and I WAS THE ONLY FEMALE in my class..

But today,I ?e gat no regret,I dey do my fine girl upandn with my PP" grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by ReverseEngineer: 9:05pm On Apr 10, 2016
maduxs:
Most engineers are theoretical engineers
One of those that applied for Engineering but was given physics ...

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Fedric(m): 9:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
CaptainECole:
that's not a good enough reason .. how can all of u not have passion for engineering? ?
you can't even speak english without grammatical error,. engineering student
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by miqos02(m): 9:08pm On Apr 10, 2016
ok
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by lodscott(m): 9:20pm On Apr 10, 2016
NobleAngell:
Well, that's not completely true. I forfeited my chemical engineering admission for another course in another school. Trust me, a part of me still regrets that decision. Engineering is coooool for both genders.

*seriously checking your profile
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Forwetinnah: 9:21pm On Apr 10, 2016
CaptainECole:
that's not a good enough reason .. how can all of u not have passion for engineering? ?

Proudly one...
How can you say "all of you" undecided
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 10, 2016
ndcide:
The only Reason is the Mathematics involved and the mentality of engineering being about hammer, screw driver, bolts and nuts.

Ladies spend more time and money in medical college, so.. Forget.
Thank you. Am a female engineer and yet i tink medicine is much more tasking nd yet we have so many females there.
stupid thread
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Miona: 9:27pm On Apr 10, 2016
Some people can generalise!! So does it mean there are no ladies in STEM. How best will you describe such ladies that graduated from not just science but particularly Engineering courses.

@ Op, Science and mathematics courses cannot still compare to engineering you know.

Anyway, let me rest case.

Seunpaul01:
Females are too weak to deal with engines.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Jacko1(m): 9:28pm On Apr 10, 2016
As usual anoda rubbish list

You say stem courses ..... More gals do biochem... Nursing....chemistry dan boys

Remove the S and M and say gals dont do T and E
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 9:38pm On Apr 10, 2016
CaptainECole:
Many of us in the science field and beyond know the imbalance happening in the STEM(Science Technology Engineering &Mathematics) courses.. gender imbalance!
... Many of us have noticed that their are few females in the areas,when you step into an average engineering department, or technology department, you could count the number of females in these courses as opposed to other female-populated courses like Business Admin,Medical courses, Arts and etcetera.
Which leads one to ask—Why?
..Well ponder no more, here are the obvious reasons why there are few females in STEM courses. Enjoy!
1.STEM courses are too long This is a known fact,to study a course like engineering,technology,one is required to spend at least 5 years in school, and this opposes females because an average female will wanna get married as an undergraduate and even have kids, and as a result, they'd rather go for shorter courses in the social sciences,arts or business.
2.STEM courses are male dominated :Obviously! These set of courses are usually male dominated, e.g. Engineering. So for a girl to apply for theses set of courses,it would mean breaking away from the social norm of "girls going for arts and boys for STEM"
. In fact,some girls in these departments usually feel obliged to dress masculine, avoid putting on earrings, so as to avoid feeling so feminine in the midst of males. A girl will rather identify with the social norm and not want to feel odd.
3.There are few female role-models in these fields :Convincing a female to go for STEM courses will be like convincing a lion to eat grass,because there ain't much female role models that one can look up to. This discourages an average female, outside the schools,its a male dominated industry too. So? That's the consequence!
4.STEM courses are expensive :Like it or not! when you're going for a Technology or Engineering course,you will be required to pay more! And for a lower middle-class economy like Nigeria's, it will be a struggle. I've seen many students struggling to pay fees,the stress of having to work and study at the same time in order to pay fees,buy textbooks, and other expenses connected with the courses is something so daunting. As a result many females are discouraged cuz they sure can't handle the stress! Men are tough na grin grin
5. Many girls are afraid of mathematics and calculations : This is something you discover right from your days in secondary school, a lotta girls shiver whenever they encounter mathematics or any calculations grin.. we boys use this as a pretext to get that fine girl in our class/department wink lol... Consequently, many girls will rather avoid calculative courses and the likes .. they'd rather go for the theory or management based courses.. it's not their fault na,its just so they will have time for themselves. wink ..

Today, there are more opportunities available to girls. Organisations such as the World Academy of Science, the Organization for Women in Science in the Developing World, L’Oreal for Women in Science, the Elsevier Foundation, and the British CouncilGhana all have awards, recognition and fellowships specifically for girls and women. The Visiola Foundationalso provides scholarships for girls to study STEM, and an annual week-long STEM Summer Camp to pique the interest of women in the STEM fields from an early age.

You can add yours

Personally,I am very good in calculations and i can say i was d best when I took maths course and there other girls who are way better than me that I know of. As for it been too expensive,it is not a good enough reason,if a girl study medicine she call also study engineering and technology. Most boys join STEM because they feel it's a man'seeking course and at the end of the day perform badly. It is a personal choice, so if u know u r good at STEM and have passion for it, whether male or female should please do it.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 9:40pm On Apr 10, 2016
Not entirely true OP. I read electronics and Computer engineering. The girls in my class had better grades cos we were bent on showing the men we could do it. And we sure did. I graduated with a 'strong' 2.1 though it's quite painful am not practicing, but am looking forward to going back to my engineering roots. I sacrificed a lot to make it thru. Even after graduation I couldn't sleep all thru the night for over 2 yrs, cos I was always awake reading from 1am to 3 am half of my days in school. To read combine engineering course note beans, be it make or female. It takes determination and a lot of hard work.
Re: 5 Reasons Girls Avoid Engineering Courses by Nobody: 9:54pm On Apr 10, 2016
Fedric:
you can't even speak english without grammatical error,. engineering student
will you shut up ur mouth .. where's the error there? undecided blind bat.. and besides, in engineering, mathematics is our language, am not an English student.. please fvck off.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dominican University, Ibadan Pro Chancellor, Peter Obi At Convocation Ceremony / SCIENCE GURUS LODGE / ASUU Strike To Continue For The Next Two Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.