Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,116 members, 7,818,329 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 (12777 Views)

Court Dismisses Six Count Charges Against Nnamdi Kanu, Orders Re-Arraignment / Orji Uzor Kalu Re-Arraigned By EFCC (Photos) / Orji Uzor Kalu Re-arraigned By EFCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by DONSMITH123(m): 11:54am On Apr 11, 2016
Ade Adesomoju, Abuja

A Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday fixed May 16 for the re-arrangement of a former Governor of Abia State, Mr. Orji Uzor Kalu, his co-accused for charges bordering on alleged diversion of N5.6bn belonging to the state.

This followed the judgment of the Supreme Court delivered on March 18, 2016, dismissing the accused persons’ objection to the charges preferred against them and directing them to submit themselves for trial.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had in 2007 initially preferred 96 counts including money laundering, against Kalu, his company, Slok Nigeria Limited, and Jones Udeogo.

Kalu and his co-defendants were accused of diverting the state’s fund while he was governor of Abia State between 1999 and 2007.

The anti-graft agency on February 11, 2008 amended the charges and presented 112 counts against the defendants.

Their objection to the charges were dismissed by the court, the Court of Appeal and finally by the Supreme Court on March 18.

Kalu and Udeogo, who were represented by different lawyers, were present in court on Monday.

The prosecuting counsel, Mr. Oluwaleke Atolagbe, who passed a copy of the judgment of the Supreme Court validating the trial to the judge, Justice Anwuri Chikere, during the Monday’s proceedings, said the prosecution needed time to take some steps before the re-arraignment
Atolagbe said, “This matter is slated for mention. On March 18, 2016, the Supreme Court dismissed the appeals by the defendant.

“I will urge my lord to adjourn the case to afford the prosecution some time to take some steps. We will need about two weeks. We seek an adjournment for the defendants to take their plea.”

Counsel for Kalu, Chief Awa Kalu (SAN), and the lawyer representing Udeogo and Slok Nigeria Ltd, Chief Solomon Akama (SAN), did not oppose the request for adjournment.

The judge then fixed May 16 for their re-arraignment.

http://www.punchng.com/court-fixes-may-16-for-orji-kalus-re-arraignment/

2 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by OsusuMustFlow(f): 12:08pm On Apr 11, 2016
cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by PassingShot(m): 2:03pm On Apr 11, 2016
Great.

All accused politically exposed persons should embrace the honourable act of defending themselves at the law court instead of raising objections to their prosecution if actually they're not guilty as they always claim.

The unfortunate thing is, the common citizens made pauper by these looters are the same people who defend them online and offline.

What a shame!

15 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by 2sydoflyf(m): 2:03pm On Apr 11, 2016
Another media trial. Let's close the many gates opened before us. Then we can visit/revisit other ones.

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by Daddymum: 2:03pm On Apr 11, 2016
ok
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by NwaNimo1(m): 2:03pm On Apr 11, 2016
Dem no fear face..

2 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by kingolu1(m): 2:04pm On Apr 11, 2016
I have been waiting for this long time,is long overdue self....

3 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by Zico5(m): 2:04pm On Apr 11, 2016
These Politicians have raped us dry in this country. And this one is still trying to sneak himself into upper chamber. I don't really blame them but the masses. Only God can help us in Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by makingsense(m): 2:05pm On Apr 11, 2016
Why postpone this man sentence na.. send him to jail

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by eyesofgod: 2:05pm On Apr 11, 2016
Trial now extending to Obasanjo era. A proper chill pill for the GEJ apologists.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by Nobody: 2:05pm On Apr 11, 2016
Fingers crossed..

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by html14java(f): 2:05pm On Apr 11, 2016
Adombilivit

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by opineflu(m): 2:05pm On Apr 11, 2016
na rearraignment till 2019.....dis case is dead on arrival....highest bail
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by excellentmomma(f): 2:05pm On Apr 11, 2016
Hahaha, after giving Apc N5bn for their elections, OUK who u offend, T.A Orji should follow suit o.

Will Adesina your former employee rescue u? Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by shaddoww: 2:06pm On Apr 11, 2016
Its seem d old EFCC were intentionally loosing cases in court, 96 and 112 count charges, haaaaa kilode, who does dat, though the new one is yet to make a major conviction, I believe their method is better.

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by Bawsse(m): 2:06pm On Apr 11, 2016
Era of change...

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by aventura: 2:06pm On Apr 11, 2016
It will count for nothing is OUK is still strongly linked with the CIA's hierachy.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by adedam007(m): 2:06pm On Apr 11, 2016
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by vickylinco(m): 2:06pm On Apr 11, 2016
resurgence of efcc
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by Goodeeman: 2:07pm On Apr 11, 2016
Hmm! Prosecution every where.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by opineflu(m): 2:07pm On Apr 11, 2016
OsusuMustFlow:
cheesy cheesy
wy jubilate
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by MadCow1: 2:09pm On Apr 11, 2016
Obago!
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by calculator101(m): 2:10pm On Apr 11, 2016
OUK ?? what of T.A Orji
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by maputohq: 2:11pm On Apr 11, 2016
PassingShot:
Great.

All accused politically exposed persons should embrace the honourable act of defending themselves at the law court instead of raising objections to their prosecution if actually they're not guilty as they always claim.

The unfortunate thing is, the common citizens made pauper by these looters are the same people who defend them online and offline.

What a shame!
i would have said i love you but you are male.

2 Likes

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by PassingShot(m): 2:12pm On Apr 11, 2016
maputohq:

i would have said i love you but you are male.
You can still love a fellow man for his good acts/deeds and words.

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by Marcelinho(m): 2:12pm On Apr 11, 2016
As this not taken so long? 2008 till now nothing has come out yet another adjournment, well justice for all is what we pray for....

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by maputohq: 2:14pm On Apr 11, 2016
PassingShot:
You can still love a fellow man for his good acts/deeds and words.
but trust my nigerian brothers.

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by iykedare(m): 2:20pm On Apr 11, 2016
Lol

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by Nobody: 2:21pm On Apr 11, 2016
How much is the money in dollars ? Orji is worth a lot of money, a billionaire in dollars, should simply refund them and keep his peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by wacoj(m): 2:21pm On Apr 11, 2016
The only problem i have with APC that this govt makes a lot of noise.
They want us to believe they are fighting corruption yet no result to show for it.

From Metu to former Nimasa boss, to Dansuki, to Saraki and whole lots of others.
It appears like it is a mere media show!

I will be very glad if Orji Uzor kALU and his successor T.A Orji can be made to spend the rest of their
lives in kirikiri for looting Abia dry but i doubt if APC can achieve it.

Let me remind the president that on his inaugural speech, there are two basic things he said that caught my attention.

1. I belong to everyone and I belong to NO one.
2. Our actions will speak for us.

Let ur actions speak for u in this fight......

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by Joel3(m): 2:22pm On Apr 11, 2016
.I am not getting it. does it mean that there is not yet any evidence to trail kalu. or the DSS is looking or still finding evidence to trial him?
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu’s Re-arraignment: Court Fixes May 16 by dollaflow(m): 2:23pm On Apr 11, 2016
hmmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Names Of INEC, NPC Commissioners Confirmed / Dino Melaye Shows Off His Dancing Skills (watch Video) / Kano One Of A Kind Underpass....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.