Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,723 members, 7,847,919 topics. Date: Sunday, 02 June 2024 at 11:12 AM

Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) (2063 Views)

Rabe Abubakar, Spokesperson Of The Defence Headquarters / President Buhari's Convoy Leaving The Defence House Yesterday. Photos / Buhari Welcomes President Of Chad, Idris Deby At The Defence House Abuja. Pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by dude(m): 9:11am On Nov 15, 2005
Erstwhile PDP national chairman (chief Audu ogbeh) and 79 identified others most of whom are PDP have Floated a new forum called Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD).they claim it’s only political group (quoting lawal kaita of PDP) and not a political party. Their grievances which came to head with the recent PDP revalidation exercise where they lost out is rooted in the long on going power tussle control of the PDP.

While this might signify the beginning of the end for PDP (from which ever angle u choose to view), a question that readily come to mind is how this new group hope’s to take on the Almighty Obasanjo and subdue his draconian syndrome. Noting in mind that he has the full control of INEC, public funds, control of all security forces and of course, the dreadful EFCC.

While this new body might have found a way to raise funds to battle the presidency, and the PDP most of them are part of, how do they hope to fight the ruling party which have state apparatus to their advantage?isssue here is they wont be playing on a level field. How be it.. I forsee casualties on both sides. This development is certainly not a plus for the people’s destruction party.

Responses please.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by joftech(m): 8:40pm On Nov 15, 2005
To me MDD is not yet a political party since they have not been declared by INEC. If they formed MDD as a resonse to OBJ's intention to stay beyond 2007 they are just wasting their time.

One thing i can deduce is that they propably know that the chances of PDP having a landslide majority/victory in 2006/7 is very slim, so in order to remain in power they decided to come up with another "PDP".

It (MDD) could also be the party that will eventually "carry" IBB since no present party seems to want him in their camp.

If MDD eventually become a political party i don't see them beating PDP in all of their strongholds since PDP is now well established.

Which ever way it pans out, my fingers are crossed from my vantage point.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by Seun(m): 11:06pm On Nov 15, 2005
What irritates me about these parties is that they appear to have no ideologies beyond:
- Promoting a particular tribe or set of tribes.
- Maintaining power by winning as many electoral seats as possible.

What, if any, is the ideology behind this new MDD? They want to defend democracy? Does that even mean anything?
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by joftech(m): 11:26pm On Nov 15, 2005
What these "bastards" are defending is their bank accounts and political offices.

They don't have/see a vision of where they want this country to be.

And since the country is being steered by visionless leaders we are all demoralized; what a pity.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by tolutope(m): 11:44pm On Nov 15, 2005
mdd.pdp, opp, swv,, all same crap,, still same thieves, still same ideology.. when are we going to stop taking crap from these frogs who dont care what happens to us only how they can continue being in power to eat mor money? how long would we countinue acting daft for these guys to be using this country to play ayo or draft.. ? angry lets try and pump in fresh genuine ideas and people.. please
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by joftech(m): 11:58pm On Nov 15, 2005
To move this country forward we need parties that are Nigerians oriented, parties that are commited to empowering Nigerians.

How i wish i hold a strong political office. Am sure people will truly commend my efforts after my exist.

At times it makes me sad to think about what these political office holders are thinking. Is it that they don't know that people are suffering?
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by drbigdaddyg(m): 11:38am On Nov 16, 2005
People make up a party. PDP being strong was as a result of people who were composed of it. Don't be surprise, with the resignation of Chief Audu Ogbe and the rest of PDP warlords, PDP might fumble beyond efforts.

I will let Joftech know that he can't hold a strong office because he is not corrupt, therefore cannot match with the qualification for political leaders of Nigeria.

Lets just pray for mutation in the lives of these "people" holding the political major offices of this country because it is certain that the country will remain ruled by the criminals who are pioneering these ruling parties. I don't believe we can restore the situation by forming or belonging to a party because, we know Nigerian leadership is generally corrupt, and only those who belong to the affirmed political party (PDP), get the seat easily.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by joftech(m): 11:56am On Nov 16, 2005
I will let Joftech know that he can't hold a strong office because he is not corrupt, therefore cannot match with the qualification for political leaders of Nigeria.

The impression that someone who is not corrupt cannot hold a political office in Nigeria is what we need to wipe out from our mindset. As long as we let corrupt people run this country they will continue to ruin her.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by drbigdaddyg(m): 12:08pm On Nov 16, 2005
I will be very happy to get a solution to it. This is why I said; we pray for an auto. change within those leaders. Perhaps, it might be a turning point to others.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by joftech(m): 12:23pm On Nov 16, 2005
They can only change if the citizen can make them to realize they are serving them and stop treating them like gods.

Our future is in our own hands.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by otokx(m): 6:33pm On Nov 16, 2005
MDD will not succeed, its quite obvious because they are lacking in equity
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by Seun(m): 6:41pm On Nov 16, 2005
How are they lacking in equity? Please explain! Do you mean in terms of the money they have?
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by tolutope(m): 7:26pm On Nov 16, 2005
If it's money, MDD is made up of the old money bags in PDP, so that wont be a problem.

Probably equity in terms of popularity? I assure you they have this. I doubt if they lack anytghing: same old [politicians], different party name. embarassed
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by drbigdaddyg(m): 10:15am On Nov 17, 2005
Yes, money can never be their problem.
I know PDP was created from a popular political party (though I can not remember the party now), likewise, another political party (maybe MDD) might be created from PDP. It has been the routine creating new parties , even when we had only 2 parties, NRC, SDP which later were degenerated into another political parties.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by dude(m): 11:00am On Nov 17, 2005
latest development is that Baba has callled on all PDP party chiefs not to join MDD.and clearly, the PDP party leadership is not comfortable with this new group. as they have been making frantic efforts to get these people back to their fold. now if tony aneineh is so sure of his party's strength without these set of people who's one foot is already out of the party, then why is the party making moves to reconcile these these folks back to them. or are they beginning to loose grip on power?

even if these politicians are still the same old people with a new name (pouring old wine in new bottle), i still think this new development is a positive one. because with this split, PDP will no stand as one to rig election. and there's no stoping any possibilities that more splits will occur, and make them useless.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by drbigdaddyg(m): 2:45pm On Nov 17, 2005
You have made a point. I just pray they don't give Baba any ear, let them just go on with their plans, is really going to frustrate the rate election will be rigged, unless, Baba will be appointed a flag-bearer of the new party.
As for PDP, is a prophesy, it will not stand long.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by tolutope(m): 7:20pm On Nov 17, 2005
Ladies and gentlemen. As we have agree, PDP and MDD are 1 and the same group. So the idea of rigging elections will still hold, only that the party with more power will rig succesfully, don't you think?

And dude believe me, if they want to rig, they will rig. They are the same club members. What will happen is that they will try and outrig each other, since they both have same game plan.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by Seun(m): 8:30pm On Nov 17, 2005
Do you have any evidence to back this popular claim that PDP officials engage in massive election rigging?
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by tolutope(m): 8:49pm On Nov 17, 2005
seun can u remember the last election we had? there was a time u could follow up the scores on the net.. all of a sudden it wasnt there anymore ... only to be on again with changed numbers of already concluded areas and it was also reported in the papers too.. there was also some comments by international observers to that effect.. i guess u could go thru old newspapers pertainin to that period.. there were evidences and testimonies to that effect.. just like wat happened with bush and algore.. but hey wat can any1 do to prove or stop it from happenin? once ure in power u can say the rain is falling even tho it aint but who will xpose u or stop u? mko abiola... after massive noise.. wat happened?.... rigging is a little thingy to do compared to killing off opponents..
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by dude(m): 9:24am On Nov 18, 2005
@tolu, I get the point you are trying to make. but my actual interpretation of this whole scenario is that a house causing most of the country's problem is divided against itself.

At the same time, I don't believe we should lose faith in the whole system. I dare say we still have some credible politicians left, except that such people never actually get to serve. Be that as it is, let's give these new set of people [the benefit of doubt].

I mean if Audu Ogbeh got kicked out because of a letter he authored to baba insisting on change, then we should watch him carefully and see exactly what he and his crew are up to before outrightly writing them off. He probably realised he couldn't fight baba if he remained in PDP, and has therefore opted out to create a social change.

I will just say it's too early in the period to arrive at a conclusion.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by drbigdaddyg(m): 10:21am On Nov 18, 2005
Who knows where Atiku will stand because I know he will surely not be in Obj's party? If both of them will diffuse, how will vote-rigging be effective? I mean, Obj is coming for his third tenure and the Atiku being his vice, who by virtue of Aso rock has strong legs, is contesting for presidency, what advantages will Obj have over him (Atiku)? This competition surely will take place between two different parties (Obj's and Atiku's); then, Mr. Vice can still command the INEC or whatever the way he'll want the election to be conducted, being Vice President.

This is why I am saying rigging might be difficult due to power of incubency between the two adversaries (OBJ and Atiku); a situation where this man will order for this vote and the other person being a rivalry in the power will order back- NO WAY.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by tolutope(m): 1:06am On Nov 19, 2005
tho ogbeh and others r in another camp,, they didnt leave the 1st camp cos dey turned born again nor hav they suddenly turned new leaves... just 2 opposition forces tryin to see who can control the national cake.. they dont give a damn wat happens to us.....
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by mckaycee(m): 12:19pm On Nov 21, 2005
MDD: Mere Dolly Dolly.

When they were in PDP, they defended all the [[evil]] done there, now, some people somewhere are crying foul. They all are of the same origin and will soon will start playing, singing and dancing their former tune.

Sings: "what goes around, comes around: what you give, you will take!" cheesy
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by tolutope(m): 5:20pm On Nov 22, 2005
dude:

@tolu, I get the point you are trying to make. but my actual interpretation of this whole scenario is that a house causing most of the country's problem is divided against itself.

At the same time, I don't believe we should lose faith in the whole system. I dare say we still have some credible politicians left, except that such people never actually get to serve. Be that as it is, let's give these new set of people [the benefit of doubt].

I mean if Audu Ogbeh got kicked out because of a letter he authored to baba insisting on change, then we should watch him carefully and see exactly what he and his crew are up to before outrightly writing them off. He probably realised he couldn't fight baba if he remained in PDP, and has therefore opted out to create a social change.

I will just say it's too early in the period to arrive at a conclusion.
dude, if ogbeh was clean he wouldnt b in the pdp in the 1st place... probably the letter was to loot more money and baba didnt agree grin grin
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 25, 2005
canst thou put old wine in a new wine skin? nay but the old wine burst the bottle!
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by tolutope(m): 2:47pm On Nov 27, 2005
davidylan:

canst thou put old wine in a new wine skin? nay but the old wine burst the bottle!

tru dat
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by tayelolu(m): 12:36am On Nov 30, 2005
After competition comes innovation. The founder of MDD are exercising their right to assemble. The country is maturing politically and should not be stopped. When their is a very large political party there are always dissenting opinions and the dissenters often break away to form their political group or party. I believe things are looking up in the political arena.
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by Nobody: 12:44am On Nov 30, 2005
what things are looking up in our ever "nascent" democracy? you must be seeing something we are not seeing.

What is the MDD? simply a collection of former PDP members who are not happy with the power and money sharing arrangement in the PDP!
Re: Movement for the Defence of Democracy (MDD) by tatatar: 8:50pm On Mar 24, 2020
This is the third topic to Grace this section

(1) (Reply)

'I Didn't Want To Be Black. So I Joined The Skinheads' -adewale Akinnuoye-agbaje / No Nigerian Should Insult GEJ Again... Enough Is Enough. / My Solutions To The Problems Facing Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.