Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? (2964 Views)

Help! My Mechanic Is Calling Price For Me On Catalyst / My Mechanic Has Done It Again! / My Mechanic Wants To Kill Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by chidike(m): 9:36pm On Apr 12, 2016
I drive a 2004 corolla sport...I try to do all the regular maintenance and use the required (or closest ) oil and stuff just to ensure that my car doesn't develop faults. I also service my car at a decent garage which is a bit more expensive but I can deal.

Recently my car started making some loud noises that increase as I accelerate sometimes making me to have to increase the volume of my radio. I felt maybe the exhaust pot was bad cos the noise sounded like it was coming from there. In a nutshell the car was sounding like all these bug engine cars, driving isn't noiseless like other cars.

The garage guys checked it and they said it's the wheel hub, really one. I asked if they were certain and they said yes.

I asked for a quote and I got 58k just to buy one complete wheel hub and I need to buy 2. I googled and the prices when converted to naira at even 400 naira to a dollar for both isn't up to 58k.

Please i need advice, do you guys think the wheel hub is the issue? And if it is, does it cost that much?

Thanks.

Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by colossus2: 5:15am On Apr 13, 2016
Change you mechanic.
I don't know if that's the issue. I think a faulty hub makes a humming sound and not the type of exhaust sound you related to.
That aside, a toks hub shouldn't be more than 15k.
A safer benchmark estimate, we can use 25k.
What is your location?
Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by pragmatistm(m): 6:35am On Apr 13, 2016
colossus2:
Change you mechanic.
Good advice. After then you can compare the diagnosis and price.
Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by chidike(m): 6:39am On Apr 13, 2016
colossus2:
Change you mechanic.
I don't know if that's the issue. I think a faulty hub makes a humming sound and not the type of exhaust sound you related to.
That aside, a toks hub shouldn't be more than 15k.
A safer benchmark estimate, we can use 25k.
What is your location?
I also didn't think it was the hub but I'm not very good with car issues. I'm in Surulere
Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:27am On Apr 13, 2016
if they are brand new parts by toyota, you are getting it really cheap. From the properly arranged bill, you did not go to a roadside mechanic, do not expect to get roadside prices for parts. A well organised workshop will give you a guarantee on parts installed, and a roadside will not.
Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by colossus2: 10:00am On Apr 13, 2016
chidike:

I also didn't think it was the hub but I'm not very good with car issues. I'm in Surulere
Okay. Good you are in lagos.
Locate the office of the man above
+2348033910382 BlackBerry PIN 2BE77AF2 vehicle repairs, consultancy scanning and diagnosis. WORKSHOP ADDRESS,NO 3 AWE STR OFF ALH HARUNA RD, HARUNA BUSTOP COLLEGE ROAD, IFAKO,LAGOS
Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 13, 2016
The only expensive item there is the hub, for a 2004 model I doubt if you can find OEM parts in 2016, anything you re buying by way of parts is definitely an aftermarket part from China.

You didnt say if you bought a complete set of new hubs or just the bearings. If it was a new complete set then the price is ok, but if it was ladipo grade, then the mechanic has recovered some of his labor cost from the hubs. grin

Its nice to go to a glamorized repair shop, but you should have a more upscale brand of vehicle not a 2004 corolla that every kazeem including motor cycle mechanics know how to fix.

Mind you, the parts are affordable and available everywhere, the corolla is a mass produced car. Change your mechanic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:28pm On Apr 13, 2016
just spoke with my toyota parts dealer and he confirmed the price for the wheel bearings, the corrola 04 (japan europe/middle east) is about a 100k for the rear. The american spec is about the same price. He also said, what you will get as new most times in the market is a chinese clone and he does not sell that. He also said "the original one no de move market grin" in my experience, the rear wheel bearing starts making noise at about 200k miles, it's not a part you replace every day.
Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by chidike(m): 1:31pm On Apr 13, 2016
Thanks all for your input, including those that threw shades say make I go change car, your comments are appreciated.

@Gazzuzz can your guy get a good tokunbo one for me? Also please do you think that sound I described sounds like a wheel hub issue?

@colossus2 thanks, I'm not familiar with Ifako, neve been there.
Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:54pm On Apr 13, 2016
chidike:
Thanks all for your input, including those that threw shades say make I go change car, your comments are appreciated.

@Gazzuzz can your guy get a good tokunbo one for me? Also please do you think that sound I described sounds like a wheel hub issue?

come for a free diagnosis of your suspension problem. If you ask questions or use google maps you will find my address easily.
Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by mili3kid(m): 4:49pm On Apr 13, 2016
chidike:

@OP i will suggest U try and locate Gazzuzz. even if his office is far from ur place, it will b worth every bit of drop of fuel U use. ur mechanics may b right but it doesnt hurt to get a second opinion... all d best bro
Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by antobrige: 6:20pm On Apr 13, 2016
The noise u described sound like is the Hup front Hub, but the Hub is not Up to That Amount, The Hub is 5bolt n it Goes For 30,000 for two With Guarantee..i sale Japanese used spare parts ( Tokunbo )..so comfirm be very well.Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by mayor2013: 11:27pm On Apr 13, 2016
2 front wheel hub cost 30k for a first grade. If you have one side making noise. Make sure the two are changed. Best of luck

1 Like

Re: Is My Mechanic Ripping Me Off??? by chidike(m): 12:43pm On Apr 14, 2016
Thank you so much for all your input. I will find a way to locate Gazzuzz at the end of the month to have it looked at.

(1) (Reply)

Cheapest Way To Buy A Direct Tokumbo Car In Lagos / Lexus Es 350 2008 Model / Help! Is It A Terrible Idea To Drive From Lagos To Calabar?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.