Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,158 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

Stain From The Past - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Stain From The Past (16186 Views)

What Is "Dirty" And "Stain" In YORUBA Language? / A HOLD FROM THE PAST- Women fiction / One Wizard Has The Power To Change The Future, The Other The Past, (fight) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 7:02pm On Apr 25, 2016
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 7:18pm On Apr 25, 2016
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 7:21pm On Apr 25, 2016
Continued...

Maran opened his mouth to talk but he closed it again. The man stood up and left as silently as he`d come without a backward glance or a word again. His mission had been accomplished.
Throughout the match, Maran`s mind was in turmoil. He lost interest in the game, even when his team scored a goal, he did not join in the jubilation among his co-Chelsea fans. Crazy thoughts ran through his mind and he felt sick from the stomach.
He managed to wait till the match was over before leaving for his hostel. He was vigilant on the street has he walked, hoping to see the man again, but he was unlucky. When he reached his hostel, he greeted his room mates casually and dropped the small bag which he carried along to the viewing venue on the small table beside his bed. He sat down on his bed and kicked off his sandals. He needed to relax his head a little so he laid on his back and closed his eyes. He felt better.
Just when he was about to start thinking about the man again, Chinedu`s voice ripped through his reverie.
“Maran, abeg, you get airtime? I wan sharperly call someone ni o”.
Maran eyed his roommate sternly and hissed. He`s too fond of borrowing phones to make call. Without a word, he nodded his head towards the bag on the table and put his right arm across his face in order to shied his eyes from the light reflection coming from the bulb in the room. His head gesture meant that the phone was inside his bag. Chinedu was happy and quickly grabbed it. He opened every compartments in the bag but could not find any phone.
“Phone no dey here o”, he announced, while still busy rummaging inside. Maran angrily snatched the bag from him. Chinedu could be such a pain in the butts sometimes, he thought impatiently. But he became worried when he confirmed Chinedu`s news that the phone was missing. He frantically removed all the contents in the bag onto the mattress but his phone did not materialize.
At that instant, a soft knock was heard at the door. Demola, their third room mate who had been minding his own business went to answer it. It was one of the porters. Demola answered the man and closed the door when he left. He walked up to Chinedu and Maran, ignoring the panic on the latter`s face. He dropped a note beside him on the bed.
“The porter said someone brought it for you”, he announced and went back to his bunk.
“Excuse me Chinedu, let me read the note first then I`ll attend to you”. Chinedu nodded in agreement and sat down on the table where the bag was initially placed. Maran dropped the empty bag on the mattress and picked the note with shaky hands, all the while his mind was crying ‘ They stole my phone at the V centre and I didn’t know. How come?
The sheet was not enveloped but it was folded into two. Maran opened the fold and his jaw dropped unconsciously when the message jumped right at him.

Your phone is with me. If you want it back, meet me at Exquisite hotel at Surulere tomorrow evening by 7pm. Ask for room 118. Come alone and don’t be late.
Sule A.

1 Like

Re: Stain From The Past by AdetoroBukola: 1:22pm On May 01, 2016
what a world so unknowingly the two of them had a bad stain from the past. What a strange world. You are doing a great job dearie God bless ur brain and your health.
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 8:53pm On May 02, 2016
Amen. I'm flattered. God bless u too.
AdetoroBukola:
what a world so unknowingly the two of them had a bad stain from the past. What a strange world. You are doing a great job dearie God bless ur brain and your health.
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 9:09pm On May 02, 2016
Continued...

There is time for everything. A time to live and a time to die. A time to succumb to oppression and a time to fight back. A new spirit entered Maran the moment he read that note last night. A brand new spirit he could only describe as rebellious. He was amazed to realize how good and refreshed the spirit made him feel. He loved this feeling; fearless, determined and vengeful. Suleiman`s cup is full and he would be well served today.
Maran`s hatred grew every second he remembered the past. The beast had got guts, stealing his phone and confident enough to invite him to a hotel. What effrontery? Something within him told him that Suleiman wanted more than just to return his phone to him, he would ask for intimacy. Maran shuddered at such disgusting thought. Any way, he will get the intimacy today.
He did not argue with voice inside that instructed him to take a weapon along in case Sule gets stubborn. He decided to take one of his Philips screwdrivers and penknife with him. He tucked them away inside the back pocket of his jean trousers. He wore yellow hooded t-shirt on denim. The same discerning voice that instructed him to take weapons also advised him to wear his black Nike fez cape and if possible, get a pair of sunglasses. What he was not sure of was whether the voice was from God or from another source. He felt like a criminal in the making but he must be prepared for anything.
He did not have a pair of dark shades so he borrowed one from Chinedu. When he was certain that he did not forget anything, he left his hostel for Exquisite Hotel. He ensured that he did not inform anyone where he was going. That morning, he had assured Chinedu that he would retrieve his phone soon.
At exactly 7.15 pm, he knocked on the door of room 118. The hallway was deserted. He removed the shades and hung it on the neckline of his t-shirt while he waited patiently as he heard movement from within. The door clicked from inside and Suleiman opened the door.
The two one time lovers stared at each other awkwardly for close to a minute in utter speechlessness. There was barely any change in the older man`s appearance, except that he looked more refined and handsome, but his eye balls were red. He had also grown beard. Finally Sule smiled and broke the silence.
“Welcome my man”.
“I`m not your man. Just bring my phone and let me leave,” Maran said coldly.
“Easy man, you won`t even come in and drink with me?” Sule asked.
Maran became impatient.
“ My phone Sule,” he snarled.
Sule stared at him for a moment. This young boy has grown wings o. He did not realize how much he had missed him until now. He shrugged his shoulders indifferently.
“Whatever happened to 'Bros', hmmm? Or you forgot to add that again?”, he asked coolly.
Maran glared at him in annoyance without a word. To hell with ‘Bro whatever”.
“Well, you will have to come inside and get it by yourself”, he left the door way and returned to his bed, ensuring to leave the door open. The grown boy has become rude and arrogant, but more sexy than ever. He would have to fight before he can escape my trap today, Sule thought to himself as he lit a roll of weed.
His plans worked because when Maran waited in vain for close to two minutes with the hope that Sule would soon re-emerge from the room with his phone, he decided to go in himself. No need to fear the bastard any way.
He pushed the door open and barged in angrily. His rage increased when he met indifferent Suleiman smoking away, unperturbed.
“Where is my phone now?”, he shouted at him, moving close to him as if to snatch the weed from his mouth. Sule`s look was that of confidence and calmness. He chuckled and shook his head.
“So you can`t even ask me where I`ve been all these years and how I found you, ehn? All you wanted is your phone, abi? Are you that desperate?”.
Maran was boiling but he decided to calm down. One thing is sure, he will get his phone today.
“Alright then. Tell me the story that you wanted to tell me and let me have my phone”, he folded his arms across his chest.
“Sit down”.
“No need. Just talk”, he replied with a shake of his head.
There was no chair in the room, just the bed where Sule was seated and a small stool beside the bed. Sule dragged at his weed before talking. Maran was getting nauseated by the smell of the illegal susbstance. Sule never smoked in his presence before when they were together at Makurdi years back, what has come over him lately?
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 9:28pm On May 02, 2016
Continued...

Sule left Makurdi for his childhood base in Kaduna, because he heard that his father was critically ill. The old man died few days after Sule`s arrival. After the funeral, life went on. But things were bad for him. He did not want to stay in Kaduna nor return to Makurdi because he needed to progress in life. His mother also took ill soon after his father died. He and his brother took care of her for months until he decided to leave. There was no money to take her to the hospital. And the poverty was killing him.
He left her in his younger brother`s care and came down to Lagos for greener pasture. He moved from one menial job to another until he came across one Alhaji Kabiru Gombe who gave him a job as his personal driver. That was where he still worked at the moment. The man was very nice to him. He paid him well and hired an English teacher for him. That was how he brushed up his English language.
The story sounded interesting in Maran`s ears but he did not care.
“How did you find me?”, he asked when Sule ended his tale.
“I come to Unilag frequently. Many of the students there are my friends. Also Alhaji has two children in the school so I usually bring their mother to campus when she wants to pay them visit. I`ve seen you around so many times on campus since last month but I never get the chance to talk to you. I asked around from my buddies and they told me that you are in my dream department, Pet Engineering, 400 level. Really, I`m impressed”, he clapped his hands in approval.
Maran felt proud of himself. Just that his foul mood right now was not giving him the luxury to bask in the euphoria of self-appraisal.
“Thanks. So was that why you stole my phone?”, his voice had soften a bit.
“Yes”, Sule replied. “I traced you to the viewing center. I feel that's the only way I can reach you”.
“What do you want from me?”, the question escaped his mouth before he could think about it.
Sule dragged the weed some more and dropped the substance on the table. He stood up and faced Maran, a wicked smile creased his lips.
“I wanted to know how you are faring and…” he paused and shrugged “maybe reconcile our differences”.
“What differences?”, the level of anger that arose within Maran was indescribable but he kept his cool.
“You know now. You know how it was between us”, Sule said as if he was pleading.
“Things have changed, remember? I`m a grown up man now, no longer the fourteen year old boy you were toying with back then”, he was almost yelling. His eyes reddened and he felt sick at the man.
“I know you are a grown up man now, and that’s why I want you back”.
“You are mad Sule, I said you are mad. What do you take me for? A gay like you? Better get yourself a girlfriend and stop this abominable act before the wrath of God descends on you”, he shouted.
Sule stopped smiling and his eyes suddenly went ablaze. He glared at Maran and clenched his teeth.
“Who are you to judge me , ehn? This is who I am and I cannot help it. I will remain like this till I die. And who told you that I don’t have a girlfriend? I have one at Ojota but she did not know my true nature”.
“Then keep me out of this, do you hear me? I just want my phone and that`s all”.
“I can`t Maran. I love you very much. Just allow me this once and I promise not to bother you again, please”, he pleaded. He grew impatience as the burning desire in his body for sexual passion increased. He was sure that he could easily over-power the young man because of height and built that surpassed Maran`s own. Beside, the fact that Maran is now mature should not change the situation. As far as he`s concerned, he is still his fourteen year old lover.
Maran did not expect what happened next. Sule rushed at him and attempted to grab him by the waist. Instinctively, he sent two killer kicks to his groin before he could be reached. The assault caught Sule directly on his crotch, directly on his dick. He doubled over in pain as a scream of agony escaped his lungs. Maran was scared that the noise may attract people from outside. He ran past him towards the bed and grabbed one of the pillows. He rushed at Sule and pushed him to the floor as the he was still busy nursing his wounds. He fell forward with a thud and landed on his chest and tummy, hitting his forehead on the hard tile. Immediately Maran sat on his back and covered his head with the pillow. He pressed it hard, blocking off all available sources of air from entering Sule`s nose.
The dazed victim kicked furiously and groaned beneath him, struggling to fight him off but Maran was stronger now because he was not harmed in anyway and he had prepared for this. He remembered the days of his anguish, the bitterness and sore anal pains back then. The fury that came with that wrenching memory intensified his willpower to end it all once and for all. To hell with phone for now.
Suddenly Sule stopped fighting and went limp. Maran waited for some seconds before removing the pillow. He got up from the body and examined his face. He gasped in shock when he saw that Sule`s eyeballs were rolled up in their sockets. His tongue stuck out.
Realization dawned on him instantly. His rage disappeared and he put his hands on his head in regret. He had murdered a man!
He quickly recovered from the shock. This was no time to wallow in self pity. He must act fast and escape. He returned the pillow to its position on the bed. Then he went back to pick Sule`s corpse. The man was heavier than he expected but he braced himself like a man. He successfully lifted the body onto the bed and laid it in a sleeping position.
He winced in disgust as he closed Sule`s eye lids and used the deceased left over weed to push his tongue inside his mouth. When he was satisfied with his innovation, he set about looking for his phone.
Luckily, he found it inside a black bag that was placed at the foot of the stool. He put it inside his pockets and his fingers touched the weapons he had brought along. He felt guilty for even conceiving in his heart to kill in the first place. He was grateful that he did not use any of the two sharp objects, else there would have been blood spill and that would have given him away.
Fortunately for him, he left the hotel without being discovered and suspected. He prayed it stayed that way because he was not ready to go to jail.
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 9:37pm On May 02, 2016
-------------------
Suleiman`s lifeless body was found the next morning by the hotel manager. Police was invited and the corpse was deposited at the mortuary. The cops swung into full investigation. But all their efforts proved abortive. No suspect could be identified. The receptionist who was on duty on the night of the incident could not spot the face of the only man who came to ask for Sule the previous night because of his big fez cap, dark shades and hooded sweat shirt. All he could recollect was that he said his name was Adewale. The officer in charge of the case was reluctant to start asking around Surulere for every man bearing Adewale whose physique matched the short description of the receptionist.
Maran prayed day and night that he won`t be discovered. He hoped his moves were smart. He remembered that he was about to mention his real name to the receptionist that night but the persistent inner voice that had been his guard since morning warned him against it. What if this meeting go sore? Does he want to be traced to crime or violence? Just say your name is Adewale or something. Thank goodness the hotel does not request for ID cards.
Maran felt sad that he had to kill Sule. But the spirit pushed him. What was he to do? His action was in self-defense. He had no doubts that Sule intended to assault him again, that was his motive when he rushed at him with hIs outstretched arms. He knew that his opponent was stronger that him but thank God he scaled through that hurdle.
After months of fruitless search for Sule`s murderers, the case was abandoned as there was nobody who came forward to press it. Alhaji Gombe who had been reached and questioned several times on Sule`s character while alive did not want to be involved in murder case either. He had submitted everything to the will of Allah to take control.
He had since contacted the deceased`s family in Kaduna through the information Sule had given him about them when he was about to employ him. As expected, they were shattered. Nonetheless, his younger brother made arrangements to come down to Lagos and identify the body.
Maran decided to dispose of the clothes he wore to the scene of the incident since that`s the only piece of evidence he had left. He wrapped them in a black sack with other waste products and went to drop the load at the waste bin site where cleaners usually offload waste products for burning. He hoped to forget the nightmare soon.
Fortunately for him, he completed his degree program in peace the following year. His joy knew no bounds. He was even one of the students with the best results in his department.
In a jiffy, he went to serve in Edo state in a secondary school. That was where he met the father of his favorite student, Mr Osamudi, who was one of the top executives in an oil company in Benin. They became good friends and the man collected his CV, with a promise to fix him up after his NYSC completion.
True to his words, Mr Osamudi pressed some buttons and Maran was offered a respectable job at the company with good pay, a car and an official apartment.
Not long after he settled down to work, he met Jessica Bassey and a love deal was struck.
Re: Stain From The Past by Missmossy(f): 10:14pm On May 03, 2016
Keep it coming,kudos dear.
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 12:15pm On May 07, 2016
Thanks 4 following

Dedicated to Freemanan David. RIP Bro

CHAPTER 9
He watched her helplessly as she sobbed uncontrollably, her body shaking at the effect of the surge caused as a result of her nervous break down. Jessie and Maran were seated in her living at her apartment on Tuesday night. The room had a fluorescent bulb that hung on the ceiling. Its brightness occupied the entire room, illuminating on the confused lovers.
He sat beside her but left a few meters gap between them. He didn’t decide on the seating arrangement deliberately, it was Jessie who kept shifting her bulk away from him because she was not thinking straight at the moment. He had to respect her wish for now so he maintained his space on the huge settee.
He was surprised at himself when he realized that her confession did not stir any reflex from him, although he felt stunned at the revelation. He could tell that Jessie`s tearful outburst surfaced because she was in pain and fear. He understands perfectly well. She feared that he would be mad at her, scream in rage, jumps up and lashed at her for being deceptive for three year. She soaked herself deeper in despair, still waiting for him to walk out of the door, never to come back. but she was wrong
On Sunday evening, she had sent him a text that they needed to talk urgently before he leaves for Benin and they had agreed to meet on Tuesday night. Coincidentally, he had already planned to buy the ring he wanted to use for the marriage proposal on Monday and pop the question on Wednesday night. But the emergency undertone in her text had prompted him to re-strategize. He would make the proposal that same day. He`d believed that whatever reason she wanted to meet with him could not be too serious.
Here he was, faced with a bereaved Jessie. She had started by begging him for forgiveness because she had been unfair to him. He had laughed heartily at her funny expression. He just could not point out what she could have done that he cannot forgive, as long as she`ll agree to marry him. that was the extent of his genuine love for her. He cannot afford to lose her.
When she persisted, he was compelled to make the promise that he would forgive her no matter what her sins may be, even if she had cheated on him. then she burst into tears. Sometimes she would got on her feet and start pacing around the room in deep thought. It took her a while before she gathered the courage she believed was there before. Maran also made it easier by pulling her back to sit beside him with his soothing arms around her shoulders. He`d held up her chin and turned her face towards himself, looking her straight in the eye.
“Stop crying my angel and talk to me. Don’t be afraid. I don’t bite,” he assured her with a sweet smile, tapping her shoulders gently.
That was all that she needed. She sniffed and paused, steadied her voice and started to speak. She unveiled her life diary for him from the beginning to date. When she finished, she gave in to tears again.
The narrative was a rude shock to Maran. He was not shocked because he felt betrayed by Jessie`s lie about being a virgin, on the contrary. He was shocked because he found it hard to comprehend how fate works. So many thoughts ran through his mind.
He had viewed Jessie as a woman with a perfect life because since they met, she was always cheerful and bubbling with a heart-wrenching smile. He had secretly envied her at a point for being so lucky to grow up in a problem-free environment. She usually tell him her childhood experiences in a gleeful manner. She loved her family immensely. She would rattle on about how she always play boys` game with her brothers, climbing trees to pluck mangoes, riding BMX bicycles on the highway, hunting in the bush for games, etc.
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 12:18pm On May 07, 2016
Continued...
She would add that her father loved to take them to the Zoo at UI or Trans Amusement park on weekends. Her mother was fond of buying treats for them every time she comes back from work. Her parents always throw up a lavish party for her on her birthdays, not leaving the numerous mouth-watering gifts she would receive from family and well-wishers.
He did not enjoy half of what she enjoyed because of his childhood years as a disgraceful son, coupled with the fact that he grew up amongst girls who only cared about house-chores, school work and girls` boring games of Ten Ten. In school, nobody wanted to be his friend not to talk of playing with him due to the stern warnings from their parents that he was a cursed child with contagious stigma.
Alas, all that tales by moonlight were façade to cover up Jessie`s agony. He admired her strength to overcome the stench of sexual abuse, without allowing it to rub off on her personality. Destiny sure knows how to play pranks. How come their paths crossed when they had similar story to share?
The ugly picture of Suleiman sprang up in his inner vision. He flinched at the sight of his corpse on the tiled floor at the hotel room on that fateful day. The evil element who had raped Jessie also had his life snuffed out, only that he carried out the brutal task by himself. God has a way of judging the wicked ones, if only the victims can be patient. He chuckled quietly to himself when he envisaged the corpses of the two paedophiles being buried side-by-side. How harrowing would that sight be?
He sighed heavily and moved closer to Jessie whose clothes and handkerchief was drenched in tears. He stretched forth his arms and encircled her in embrace. She felt extremely better, savouring the warmth of his hug. She mellowed a bit, trying to wipe away her ocean of tears. For now, she did not know what to expect from him. She had initially made up her mind to face his rejection in good fate, because she could not bring herself up to accept that his love was beyond her flaws.
He rocked her gently like a caring father rocks his helpless child. He waited for her to calm down before he started whispering soothing words to her.
“It`s alright my angel. It`s alright. Stop crying…everything will be fine, huh?” he kissed the top of her head and thereafter rested his chin on that same spot. He was glad that she`s gradually regaining her composure as she only sniffed at intervals.
They were both silent for close to three minutes, neither of them was ready to break the peace they felt in each other`s arms. She clung to him desperately, like she was scared he would disappear from her forever. She feared to reassure herself that he not was troubled by her revelation. He might be taking his time before calling it quit with her. She braced herself for the worst, but for now, all she wanted is for this moment to last forever.
Unfortunately, her impatience grew by the unending stillness.
“Maran?” she called him softly, tightening her grip around his body.
“Yes dearie”, he replied coolly.
“ You are quiet” she had completely stopped crying. She raised her red eyes to look at his expression. It was solemn and sad. A fresh hot tears arose from her tear glands and she allowed it to run down her smooth cheeks freely.
“I`m very sorry”, she mumbled. She wanted to break free from his physical entanglement but Maran held her firmly.
“For what?”
“For breaking your heart…”, she said amidst tears.
He felt pity for both of them. He knew this is the high time for him to also unlock the gate to his secret. This is just the right time, in the right place and with the right person. He must do it now and allay her fears.
“You don’t have to be sorry. What happened to you was not your fault. You were just a victim of circumstance. I want you to know that you are not alone in this struggle. So many people have equal miserable past, but we have to let go and move on,” his voice was soft.
Jessie felt extremely relieved. Those were the words she really needed right now.
“Thanks, but what will happen to us now?”
“Nothing of course,” he shrugged and smiled.
“Do-does it mean that you won`t leave me?” she raised her eyebrows curiously.
“I might”, he replied.
Her heart leaped in pain. What a disappointment! So she had been fooling herself all this while on assumption that he had accepted her. She looked away slowly, freed herself and got up from the settee. She walked a few steps away from Maran when he jumped on his feet and caught her arms. She stopped in her tracks but she did not turn around to look back.
“Jessie, I might have to leave you if you reject me.”
She spun around in surprise.
“Why would I want to do that?” she asked.
He sighed and sat down again. His chest knotted and he could feel the tension rising in his chest. He felt torrents of tears welled up in his eyes but he pushed it back. He is a man. Real men don’t cry.
“Maran…talk to me”, she returned to sit beside him, her confusion was second to none.
Maran stared into space. Can he do this?
“ The bad experiences you had in the past are nothing, compared to mine,…though they were alike,” he managed to say.
“Really?” her eyes widened in shock. She had completely dried up her tears. All her focus was now on Maran.
She touched his arm and turned him around to face her, but he pulled her hands away and bowed his head slowly.
“I also have a secret I`ve been keeping away from you” he muttered. His mind went back to the engagement ring he had brought along, sitting comfortably somewhere inside his back-pack. He wondered if that would still be possible.
“You may decide to break up with me after what I`m about to tell you, but that will solely depend on your inner mind. Whatever the end result may be I`ll be ready to swallow it,” he said without conviction, his head still bowed.
Those words stung her. She could feel the pain in his voice, although it was steady. She realized that the table had now turned and it`s her turn to play the comforter for downcasted Maran. In an impulsive reaction, she embraced him and placed his head on her ample bosom.
“No my love, I promise that I won`t leave you, no matter the gravity of your confession,” she reassured him, running her sleek finger through his short fine hair.
“Don’t be too quick to make promises” his voice was low when he said that, barely above whisper pitch. He reasoned that the toughest step to take is to spend the rest of your life with a former thief, ex-gay sex-slave and a one-time murderer.
“No, I know what I`m saying”.
After a lengthy session of persuasion, he gave in and burst the bubble. He started from the beginning to the point where he met Sule again in Lagos. He ended the story by saying that he collected his phone back and left the hotel. He could not summon the courage to tell her that the man she`s holding killed his own predator (Sule), unlike hers who committed suicide.
She listened patiently all through. Something inside her told her that he was withholding more information from her.
“What happened after you left the hotel room?”
Her question unsettled him. He must open up now or forget about Jessie.
“Don’t be scared. Please trust me. Don’t withhold anything from me,” she urged him.
He suddenly burst into tears as his masculine ego gave way to overwhelmed emotions. Jessie was baffled but maintained her calmness. He freed himself from Jessie and stood on his feet. He backed her as he sobbed gently. This is the day he had dreaded. A day he would be faced with no alternative than to be transparent. If he shield the murder part from her now, how will she be able to make informed decision about their relationship?
“Before I left the hotel room,…he attempted to…to…” he stuttered, he could not bring himself to say it as he felt a retching sensation in his throat at the thought.
“He tried to molest you again?” Jessie offered, trying to block her mind from the horrific imagery forming in her head.
“Yes…,” he answered. “I got mad at him and I kicked him. I was really hysterical at such audacity. I-I-I eventually choked him to death with a pillow,” the words spilled out from his vocal cord before he could stop them.
He turned round sharply in fright when he heard a piercing scream from Jessie.
“Whaaaaaaat?!” she trembled as she crumbled to the floor and fainted.
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 12:21pm On May 07, 2016
Continued...
Jessie spent three days at the hospital before being discharged. She was moved by Maran`s devotion to her all through her admission period.. He hardly left her side. He delayed his departure date till Monday the following week in order to tend to her needs. She chided him for making such move, worried that it may affect his image in the firm in a negative light. But he did not care. What mattered most to him was her wellbeing. He must finish his mission first in Lagos.
Other close associates also paid her curtsy visit, some of her friends, colleagues at work, even her boss sent her best wishes. These outsiders were made to believe that she was down with stress. They sincerely advised her to slow down and take enough rest before going back to work.
Her parents called frequently to check on her. They were glad to know that she`s now well and Maran was with her. They knew that his presence will make the healing process faster.
By weekend, Maran drove her home. When he made sure that she was comfortably settled in her bedroom, he went inside the kitchen to prepare a meal for her. Not after she arrived, one of her neighbors, an elderly woman in her mid-sixties came to welcome her back. She brought along a lunch basket filled with two dishes containing Semo mound and rich egusi vegetable soup with assorted meat for her.
Jessie was very excited to receive the kind woman by the name Mrs. Adebayo. The three adults sat in the living room to chat for a while. Mrs. Adebayo was filled in on how Jessie fainted on Tuesday evening, but she was not told what led to that. Mrs. Adebayo was really impressed by Maran doling attitude. She could read true affection in his eyes. He reminded her of her husband when they started dating many years ago.
“Omo mi ( my daughter), don’t leave this adorable young man o. good men like him are hard to find these days. Don’t let any woman out there to take him away from you. He`s been taking care of you since you fell ill and he`s still here with you not ready to leave your side. How many men can abandon their work or source of livelihood to cater for a woman`s health these days? Hmmm, you are indeed a lucky lady,” she said cheerfully.
Jessie retained that statement in her mind. She had been battling with her emotions since she recovered from oblivion. Somewhere in her heart, she knew that the wise woman was right, even though she barely knew Maran.
Maran is not a murderer, he only protected himself. She has no right to judge him. past is past. Her own past smeared her innocence, how would she feel if he decided to use that against her? He must have been through hell bottling up that bitterness inside for years, all to himself. He had told later that evening that she would be the first living soul on earth to hear the secret, not even his parents are aware of his transgression. That is a huge feat. Her heart went out to him.
When they were alone again later that day, she raised the issue for the first time since she left the hospital. She held his hands in hers and smiled sweetly into his eyes.
“I so much appreciate your trust in me. Thanks for coming out straight with me. I`m also grateful for not being mad at me for lying to you all these while ab…,” he cuts her short by placing his index finger on her lips.
“Hush now…just let me know your mind,” she removed his finger.
“ I have nothing against you Maran,” she whispered.
His heartbeat raced faster with excitement. Now is the time. He left her on the seat and went towards the dinning table where his backpack was placed. He opened the side compartment and brought out something. His back was against her so she could not see whatever that was. He faced her slowly with a mischievous smile. He put his hands behind him.
“What are you hiding?” she asked, chuckling.
He walked towards her and dropped on his knees before her. He stopped smiling and looked straight into her eyes. She tried to peep behind him to see what he wrapped his fingers around, but she was unsuccessful.
“what now?” she was beginning to grow impatient.
“Please close your eyes and don’t open them till I say so,” he instructed her.
She stared at him for a moment before complying with a wide grin spread on her lips. She waited anxiously for few seconds, then his voice came back to life. He took a deep breath and began.
“All my life, I`ve never come across a woman so unique and exquisite as you. I made up my mind a long time ago to spend the rest of my life in your tender love if God permits that…Will you marry me Jessie?” he asked coolly with a voice void of confidence.
Her shut eyes snapped open suddenly in bewilderment. She caught his eyes, then she looked down at a blue small box that housed a beautiful Saphire ring with a well-crafted a heart shape.
“Wow! A-are you serious about this?” she gasped. He removed the ring from the box and slipped it on her left middle finger. It fitted her perfectly.
“I`ve never been serious about anything as this in my life,” he said, although he knew that was an exaggeration but he could not find a better answer.
Her grin widened in excitement. She looked really beautiful when she is happy. She had always known that it would come to this and she shouldn`t be surprised, but when a dream comes true, surprise is an inevitable accompaniment.
“Yes! Yes! I will marry you over and over and over again,” she exclaimed and spread her arms, inviting him for an embrace. He responded with no hesitation. They held each other tightly for a long time, shedding tears of joy.
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 12:24pm On May 07, 2016
CHAPTER 10

Maran knew that he had to make restitution for his sin, even if he cannot bring Sule back to life. Jessie made the suggestion that he should look for the deceased`s family and assist them financially without giving himself away as the culprit. He should introduce himself as an old friend to their son.
He agreed with her with a throbbing heart. she helped him make enquiries about Alhaji Gombe`s company, Global Superfarm Co. She got the address and contacts. Maran came down to Lagos one month after the remarkable incidence in her house with the determination to do the right thing.
He collected the information from Jessie and put a call through to Alhaji. An appointment was fixed without further ado.
Alhaji Gombe was a stout man with average height in his mid sixties. His skin was dark, bushy beard and two golden teeth , which made him attractive. He was adorned in Guinea cream coloured agbada with a marching cap. On his wrist rested a gold Rolex watch and two diamond rings on his right hand fingers.
Maran`s uneasiness grew when he was ushered in to the luxuriously furnished office. He smelled money and power in the air. Alhaji beckoned him to seat down on the vacant leather chair that faced him. He muttered a quick prayer, God help me out. Teach me what to say so as not to get into trouble.
He introduced himself as Suleiman`s old time friend and neighbor back in Benue State. He stated that his mission to Alhaji`s office was to look for the subject with whom he had lost contact with for many years because he relocated to Lagos.
Alhaji was very sober when he broke the sad news to him that Sulaiman died few years ago when he was killed by an unknown assailant. He further stressed that even though the police tried their best to apprehend the culprit, they were unsuccessful. Maran pretended to be shocked and grief-stricken. He asked the man if the investigation into the case is still on going, anxious to hear the answer in the affirmative, but he was relieved when Alhaji told him that no one was interested in the matter again. He went ahead to inform Maran that Sule`s younger brother, Abdulai, came for the corpse that same year and took it back to Kaduna for proper burial.
After a while, he mournfully asked the elderly man if he had any idea of where the late Sule`s family can be reached. Fortunately for him, Alhaji still had Abdulai`s contact because he wanted to make sure that he rendered the little financial help he could to the Ajani`s family.
He gave the number to Maran and the young man thanked him profusely. They loosened up a bit thereafter to divert into other topics of interest for the next thirty minutes. They got to know more about each other`s background, families and academic records. They delved into politics, business, Nigerian economy and so on. Alhaji really liked the intelligent man sitting before him. They promised to keep in touch in case there is any news of value to be shared.
Maran was awed by the man`s vast knowledge. He seemed to know about every subjects, sectors and aspect of commerce, despite the fact that he was a farmer. He was careful with the way he interacted with Alhaji. He ensured that he shielded vital information about himself from the over-inquisitive man. He was extremely glad to have accomplished his mission at Global SuperFarm Co. that day.
When it was time for him to leave, he shook hands with Alhaji while both were on their feet. As he was about to open the exit door, Alhaji`s voice made him to halt and turned around to face his host, while still holding the doorknob.
“Just a minute Mr. Obaje. I really like your personality and I`m glad to be of help. But let me add this for you, I don’t like dishonest people or individuals who are not transparent in their dealings. My religion forbids it, and I detest it. As much as I`d like to make friends and business partners, I won`t take lightly to such disposition from anybody. I hope that will not be the case with you. May Allah bless you. Have a nice day brother.”
Beads of sweat broke out on Maran`s forehead immediately. Is this mana mind-reader? Did he suspects anything unholy about him? But he quickly recovered and muttered an inaudible “Thank you sir” before exiting the office.
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 12:28pm On May 07, 2016
EPILOGUE

Life has been good since they got married two years earlier. Simon is a wonderful evidence of that testimony. The little cute boy was comfortably balanced on Maran`s sturdy laps, giggling and gurgling at the same time. His tired but contented father was seated on the large sofa in their living-room, cooling off with his son. There was a current affairs program being aired on the television where two industrialists were being interviewed. Apparently, Maran was just staring at the wide plasma screen, but he was not watching. He lowered the volume to number 6 because his mind was completely absent.
Simon was a replica of his parents. He`s chubby like his father and fair in complexion like his mother. He had Jessie`s kind of brown eyes and Maran`s type of flat nose. Every other physical attributes were a combination of the couple`s genes.
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 12:34pm On May 07, 2016
Continued...

He had a superman doll in his hands. Occasionally , he would signal to his father to join him in the fun. His father in turn would grant his request at once by making funny faces at his doll to elicit laughter from the toddler. Simon is a real bundle of joy to the Obajes. He clocked one year four months ago and had started learning to walk.
Maran was more than grateful to God for giving him the strength to take the difficult steps he took before his marriage. The last words from Alhaji Gombe that day in his office stuck to his heart like an incurable wound. He ruminated over it for several days and shared it with Jessie. They both resorted to prayer and God comforted them. But his spirit refused to give in to the temptation of making the gross confession to the elderly man. He could not trust him on such a sensitive issue. He might turn him in to the police unexpectedly as the prime suspect who murdered his late driver.
This is man he barely knew. They just met once. Giving himself away to himself to him may cause devastating effect on him. as long as he had made peace with his creator, then no need to condemn himself again.
He was able to get across to Abdulai on phone. The man still lived in Kaduna. He introduced himself as Sule`s old time friend from Benue. He extended his condolence to the man at the other end on the unfortunate death of his brother.
The man was very happy when he heard that Maran intended to help him financially. When asked about their sick mother, he was told that she died few months after Suleiman`s demise. Abdulai buried his mother and got married one year later. He had taken over their father`s farm land for full-time farming. Unfortunately, lack of fund hampered his dream of running the business on a large scale basis, so he decided to do other menial jobs to make ends-meet.
Maran instructed him to send his account details to him via text message, in order to receive the little amount he could offer him. The elated man obeyed instantly. The next day, he received an alert of N700,000. Maran promised to keep up the aid as often as he can manage.
That brought him incomparable peace of mind. He felt as if a heavy fog of darkness was cleared in his life. His marriage with Jessica Bassey was a huge success. It was the talk of the town. Families, friends and well-wishers thronged the event. It was a glorious day indeed.
Back in the living room where he sat with his son, a sweet smile crossed his lips. Jessie was not at home that cool evening. She had gone to the market to buy some groceries. His eyes caught their wedding portrait on the wall. He stared in bewilderment at their faces that glowed and beautiful smiles. He prayed that this unquantifiable joy in his heart will not be quenched by any evil forces. Considering the unpleasant past that they both spent in anguish, they deserve to spend the remainder of their days in bliss.
Simon`s sudden yelling brought him back to the real world. The boy started hitting the doll playfully on Maran`s chest with his minuscule might, screaming in excitement “Yaaaaaah! Yah! Yah! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaah!” He was really proud of his attack on the older man.
His father responded by pretending to beg for mercy as he faked an agonizing cry. Happiness is truly priceless.

THE END

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stain From The Past by saxwizard(m): 4:38pm On May 07, 2016
nice one.....looks real

1 Like

Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 8:15pm On May 07, 2016
I want 2 appreciate u all 4 ur time n patience in reading through my story. God bless u.
Sometimes I feel discouraged during d course of updating d write-up wen people barely comment in spite of d amount of views on daily basis. Atimes I asked myself if I'm making sense @ all?or maybe d story was boring or unrealistic.Bt since I've already promised myself 2 complete it no matter d level of reception I receive,I had 2 stick 2 my resolution.
We all know dat paedophiles exist,n they harm vulnerable children while dier parents are not watching. Parents shud be more vigilant 2wards dier protection.
Additionally, we all av past in life, specifically bad, but we shud not allow dis 2 shape our present or future,as long as we av learnt frm our mistakes n ready 2 make a turn around.
I wish d mods could push it 2 fp becus someone out dere who might av been thru similar situation can easily come across dis piece n be encouraged.
Special thanks 2 Missmossy 4 her undying support thruout my updating period. God bless u dear.
I appreciate u heemah 4 ur comments.
A very big thanks 2 anita preeti,adukky,Adetorobukola,Supersurupe,donkross1,emmyedes,dklef,IIIIyana n saxwizard. God bless y'all

7 Likes

Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 8:36pm On May 07, 2016
saxwizard:
nice one.....looks real

Thanks sir
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 8:56pm On May 07, 2016
Cc:
Sammyhoe
Scentmarlc
Ajumaxbabe
Rapmike
Ozila
Flow1759
Kingphilip
Flakkygurl
Greatness22
Madcow1
Ellidude
SammyO4real
Easy
Arsetalk
Teamee1
Pretty6000
Re: Stain From The Past by greatness22(m): 9:04pm On May 07, 2016
cho25bc:
Cc: Sammyhoe Scentmarlc Rapmike Ozila Flow1759 Kingphilip Flakkygurl Greatness22
wow! nice one beautiful. wink
Re: Stain From The Past by heemah(f): 9:19pm On May 07, 2016
Nice one Ma'am....Truly love conquers all..
Do mention me when you start another story.
Re: Stain From The Past by heemah(f): 9:30pm On May 07, 2016
Do mention me when you start another story...
Re: Stain From The Past by AdetoroBukola: 10:36pm On May 07, 2016
you are such a darling for completing this story on time, God bless your brain and God gives you more strenght to write more interesting stories. Love you plenty.
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 10:54am On May 08, 2016
Thanks sir.I'm humbled. I've sent u a pm.
greatness22:
wow! nice one beautiful. wink
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 10:57am On May 08, 2016
heemah:
Do mention me when you start another story.
Ok Ma'am,I will. God bless u
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 11:00am On May 08, 2016
Amen. God bless u in all d areas of ur life. Love u too Ma'am.
AdetoroBukola:
you are such a darling for completing this story on time, God bless your brain and God gives you more strenght to write more interesting stories. Love you plenty.
Re: Stain From The Past by greatness22(m): 11:10am On May 08, 2016
cho25bc:
Thanks sir.I'm humbled. I've sent u a pm.
You welcome ma. And please do mention me anytime you want to start another beautiful story.

Though, i haven't seen the pm you sent.
Re: Stain From The Past by cho25bc(f): 11:16am On May 08, 2016
I will. I sent u d NL email Pm. U can reach me on bimpowoshet@yahoo.com
greatness22:
You welcome ma. And please do mention me anytime you want to start another beautiful story.

Though, i haven't seen the pm you sent.
Re: Stain From The Past by greatness22(m): 11:19am On May 08, 2016
cho25bc:
I will. I sent u d NL email Pm. U can reach me on bimpowoshet@yahoo.com
Okay, thanks beautiful. But am waiting for more lovely stories from you though. wink
Re: Stain From The Past by Missmossy(f): 12:38pm On May 08, 2016
Aww Amen dear and you too,beautiful conclusion. Thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Stain From The Past by iampistis(f): 5:09pm On May 08, 2016
[color=#770077][/color] nice one cool grin

1 Like

Re: Stain From The Past by virtuedagirl(f): 8:00pm On May 08, 2016
cho25bc this is truely mindblowing dear.tanks alot for sharing this wonderful piece i've learnt alot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Memoir Of An Ordinary Black Girl (iWrite) / Off / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 46th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.