Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart (11617 Views)

White Man Compares A Dog In US & Health System In Lagos / Have You Ever Lost Someone Due To The Inadequacies Of Our Health System? / Nigeria Ranks 187 Out Of 190 In Health System, Falls Behind African Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by Drdonzeez(m): 12:26am On Apr 16, 2016
DrAdonis:
As a doctor, I agree to most of what the graduate nurses are requesting for. There's no reason physiotherapists, optometrists or lab scientists should be placed above graduate nurses or why they should undergo internship with nurses being excluded.

Doctors, nurses and pharmacists are the CORE health professionals even though the doctor plays the central and cordinating role and sends the patient to get drugs from the pharmacists, get some care from the nurses amongst other things.

Those other health workers are ALLIED HEALTH PROFESIONALS and there's no logic as to why they should be placed above nurses. Their requests should be considered in the interest of justice.
Say what you know.Don't disgrace yourself on public forum.

The nurses are indispensable members of the medical team.hence,be well compensated.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by DrAdonis: 12:38am On Apr 16, 2016
Drdonzeez:
Say what you know.Don't disgrace yourself on public forum.

The nurses are indispensable members of the medical team.hence,be well compensated.

I dont want to say you have comprehension problem, but it's obvious you don't understand what I wrote. Read what I wrote again, and this time with the intention of understanding and not replying. Thanks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by Drdonzeez(m): 1:11am On Apr 16, 2016
DrAdonis:

I dont want to say you have comprehension problem, but it's obvious you don't understand what I wrote. Read what I wrote again, and this time with the intention of understanding and not replying. Thanks.
Sharap!olodo doctor like you don't know the meaning of 'allied'.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by Doubleagent008(m): 1:42am On Apr 16, 2016
collele:
Truth be told....Nurses work harder than other HCPs
ehn ehn including the doctors too?

1 Like

Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by Nobody: 3:28am On Apr 16, 2016
elpatch:
Good write up but the enemies of the Graduate Nurses are the Registered Nurses who will go to any length to tramp on the realisation of the Graduate Nurses Demand. #Enemywithin
. And these Registered Nurses are mere certificate holders(GCN), ungraded one for that matter, less than NCE
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by TruthTella(m): 4:57am On Apr 16, 2016
Nurses seeking money from internship now?
bwahahaha
long throat like them
and before anyone comes here to say its for the work experience and not for the money ask yourself or any nurse you know if they will continue advocating for internship supposing they were told to only do it in private health institutions where workers are usually paid peanuts.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by HaneefahRN(f): 5:08am On Apr 16, 2016
TruthTella:
Nurses seeking money from internship now?
bwahahaha
long throat like them
and before anyone comes here to say its for the work experience and not for the money ask yourself or any nurse you know if they will continue advocating for internship supposing they were told to only do it in private health institutions where workers are usually paid peanuts.

Just shut up already! Have you no sense? Why so much hate for nursing? Nurses have the right to go for internship like every other health professional, core or allied but are being deprived. Yet, you will always find a stupid reason to justify it. If other professionals are doing it in Private hospitals then someone can bring that up. Is nursing less important than the other core and allied health professions? But the system keeps churning out half-baked nurses with more theoretical knowledge than practical, yet a shallow hater like you sees nothing wrong with it.

Please if you have nothing sensible to say next time, it always pays to just shut up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by HaneefahRN(f): 5:10am On Apr 16, 2016
Drdonzeez:
Sharap!olodo doctor like you don't know the meaning of 'allied'.

You didn't have to attack him.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by plendil: 5:12am On Apr 16, 2016
elpatch:
Good write up but the enemies of the Graduate Nurses are the Registered Nurses who will go to any length to tramp on the realisation of the Graduate Nurses Demand. #Enemywithin

What do you expect? That a green, newly graduated BSc nurse will start earning the same salary as a RN of close to 10 years in service? Whats more the RNs far outnumber the BSc holders, probably in a ratio 5:1 based on my experience, so the current situation is not unexpected.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by plendil: 5:14am On Apr 16, 2016
ubecharles:
. And these Registered Nurses are mere certificate holders(GCN), ungraded one for that matter, less than NCE

Are you a nurse? If so then I must say this is the kind of attitude that's causing problems for the profession.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by HaneefahRN(f): 5:21am On Apr 16, 2016
elpatch:

It's your kind that is busy causing division in nursing. The nursing school nurses have nothing against the baccalaureate nurses because they are also working towards having theirs and infact many have theirs already ,besides the demands is for the good of the profession.

The problem of Nigerian nursing, lies more in the hands of 'her' leaders or ceremonial heads like I call them.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by TruthTella(m): 5:26am On Apr 16, 2016
HaneefahRN:

Just shut up already! Have you no sense? Why so much hate for nursing? Nurses have the right to go for internship like every other health professional, core or allied but are being deprived. Yet, you will always find a stupid reason to justify it. If other professionals are doing it in Private hospitals then someone can bring that up. Is nursing less important than the other core and allied health professions? But the system keeps churning out half-baked nurses with more theoretical knowledge than practical, yet a shallow hater like you sees nothing wrong with it.

Please if you have nothing sensible to say next time, it always pays to just shut up.

Why are you so angry? grin grin grin

Truth hurts doesn't it?

You guys are looking for money naa, no be lie I talk.

You nurses do practical training in University and Nursing school so I don't see how only 11months of internship will be the life and death difference between fully baked bread nurse and half baked nurse.

1 Like

Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by HaneefahRN(f): 5:28am On Apr 16, 2016
TruthTella:

Why are you so angry? grin grin grin

Truth hurts doesn't it?

You guys are looking for money naa, no be lie I talk.

You nurses do practical training in University and Nursing school so I don't see how only 11months of internship will be the life and death difference between fully baked bread nurse and half baked nurse.

That's your headache, mister. What truth? I'm only annoyed at your hypocrisy.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by TruthTella(m): 5:29am On Apr 16, 2016
HaneefahRN:

That's your headache, mister. What truth? I'm only annoyed at your hypocrisy.

okay sorry ma.
your kids are cute btw.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by HaneefahRN(f): 5:31am On Apr 16, 2016
TruthTella:

okay sorry ma. your kids are cute btw.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by diva90: 5:54am On Apr 16, 2016
So true! Nigerian nurses earn peanuts! Definitely not a good profession if you are looking to be 'rich'
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by elpatch(m): 6:05am On Apr 16, 2016
Plus who will train the Graduate Nurses during the internship period? The RNs who perhaps not so cool about the "come-back" rise of the GNs? Plus how many hospital can boast of enough senior GNs that will train the junior ones during their internship? All these must be sorted out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by sagaciousblog: 7:07am On Apr 16, 2016
DrAdonis:
As a doctor, I agree to most of what the graduate nurses are requesting for. There's no reason physiotherapists, optometrists or lab scientists should be placed above graduate nurses or why they should undergo internship with nurses being excluded.

Doctors, nurses and pharmacists are the CORE health professionals even though the doctor plays the central and cordinating role and sends the patient to get drugs from the pharmacists, get some care from the nurses amongst other things.

Those other health workers are ALLIED HEALTH PROFESIONALS and there's no logic as to why they should be placed above nurses. The nurses' requests should be considered in the interest of justice.
very well said!

I think their plight should actually be lookedi into.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by allycat: 7:41am On Apr 16, 2016
The house job or internship done by doctors is one year of extreme boy boy work. For most doctors its the hardest year. It has structure in that it can only be done in accredited hospitals with consultants in 4 departments. Presently there are not enough space s and we have doctors doing house job as supernumerary , not being paid for the whole year. Some cannot do it for 2 or 3 years after graduation and so cannot get full registration and cannot go for NYSC or get a proper job. Everybody sees so called the big salary and thinks the situation is great. Meanwhile the doctors would happily not do the year it's just that it is compulsory.So when such conditions affect others I hope they won't blame doctors.

2 Likes

Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by Drabrah(m): 8:12am On Apr 16, 2016
frenchwine:
Carefully went through the piece to locate where they would blame the doctors for their plight cos that's what JOHESU are very good at, blaming and comparing themselves to us.
I must say and point out to UGONSA and the general public that the problems faced by UGONSA has its head and tail from NANNM and the non graduate nurses. They see you as a threat to their practise, survival and relevance in the health sector and so they're doing whatever possible to frustrate you guys including manipulation of the CMDs.
I served with you guys and I must say there is a whole lot of difference (professional wise) between you and the non-degree nurses.
Lastly, these are teething problems, you would get over them. Speaking for the doctors now, that's one less headache in JOHESU.

Nurses divided.............. check!

Txs 4 speaking my mind Bro. Even UGONSA knows dat d regular nurses r their problems. These r pipu dat, ideally, be bosses over d regular nurses. I remember how one of dem was victimised & eventually transferred jst to prevent her frm becoming d head of nursing in my former place.
Truth is, many subtle politics occur in d health sector wc d public is not aware of, & even wen they do, they cannot understand.

1 Like

Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by Drdonzeez(m): 8:34am On Apr 16, 2016
HaneefahRN:

I hate it when people pretend to know something.I didn't expect that from a doctor.We all are trying our best to ensure nurses cries are heard.They need to be on par with their counterparts in the pharmacy and med lab science professions.you don't justify your plea by using shocked
HaneefahRN:

I hate it when people pretend to know something.I didn't expect that from a doctor.We all are trying our best to ensure nurses cries are heard.They need to be on par with their counterparts in the pharmacy and med lab science professions.you don't justify your plea by using a derogatory word for the rest.Everyone is equally important in the hospital.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by victor0101: 8:51am On Apr 16, 2016
For a very long time u nurses have been fighting other member of the health team including the doctors , you are now fighting yourselves.government is your problem . the problems is withing you, nurses please change your attitude towards your clients, other members of health team,your family,and the society at large then you will see the light of the day.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by nelszx: 9:26am On Apr 16, 2016
The above said post is quite true but the problem lies IN HOUSE (NMCN). Truth be told every profession in the health sector started as diploma (ALL) but when they upgraded it was spelt out that if you must belong u upgrade (Pharmacy and MLS). The reason u see technicians in these professions. The NMCN has failed to make a clear distinction between RN (technicians) and B.NSc graduates. U know y? The RN occupy juicy positions in the profession so anything dat will subdue dem goes under the carpet.
The only time things can be properly done in the nursing profession is when graduates take their rightful places and stop the lamentations cos even if the FG wants to act, she goes through the council who basically are 90% RN once they say it's not good for the development of the profession na there e go end. I pity my nurse friends. Others take call duty dey take shift duty with all the work. Once the problem is solved in house den change can come
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by PipSurgeon(m): 10:58am On Apr 16, 2016
most of their plight are owk by me.. but how they went about it going all emotional and the blind praises seem more to me that they are trying to blackmail the senate president emotionally rather than ask for their right.. its even more annoying that it seem its a man that wrote this blackmail of a letter.. observing
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by Nobody: 10:58am On Apr 16, 2016
plendil:

Are you a nurse? If so then I must say this is the kind of attitude that's causing problems for the profession.
. But na true I talk na
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by Nobody: 11:04am On Apr 16, 2016
diva90:
So true! Nigerian nurses earn peanuts! Definitely not a good profession if you are looking to be 'rich'
. Who told you Nigerian nurses earn peanuts? Goto teaching hospitals and fmc's and find out what they earn. You'll be surprised some of them earn up to 700k per month
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by drealdoc89(m): 12:44pm On Apr 16, 2016
DrAdonis:

Those other health workers are ALLIED HEALTH PROFESIONALS and there's no logic as to why they should be placed above nurses. The nurses' requests should be considered in the interest of justice.
Its an health care team. You must not always make a statement showing that the doctors are leading the team(even though its the doctor that first of all gets in contact with the patient) .
Am saying this because of the statement you made @The doctor plays the central and cordinating role...
Gracias
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by diva90: 4:19pm On Apr 16, 2016
ubecharles:
. Who told you Nigerian nurses earn peanuts? Goto teaching hospitals and fmc's and find out what they earn. You'll be surprised some of them earn up to 700k per month

How many years experience do they have? Probably over 20 years of experience or they are at management level for them to be earning that. A new nurse what does she earn? Less than 50k not to talk of private hospitals. A nurse in the US makes in two days what a nurse in nigeria makes in a month.
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by Nobody: 6:49am On Apr 17, 2016
diva90:

How many years experience do they have? Probably over 20 years of experience or they are at management level for them to be earning that. A new nurse what does she earn? Less than 50k not to talk of private hospitals. A nurse in the US makes in two days what a nurse in nigeria makes in a month.
. No nurse earn less than 150k in federal hospitals. Drs in UK/US make in 1day what their colleagues in Nigeria make in 1month
Re: Health System Injustice In Nigeria: A Cry From A Broken Heart by nelszx: 7:25am On Apr 17, 2016
ubecharles:
. No nurse earn less than 150k in federal hospitals. Drs in UK/US make in 1day what their colleagues in Nigeria make in 1month

I think the entry point in Nigeria is what the writer is trying to say. Conhess 7 isn't up to 150k in any Federal parastatal. Nurses are wrongly renumerated

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos LCDA Approves 100% Pay Rise For Doctors In Phcs / .... / Do You Still Bite Your Fingernails?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.