Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) (53956 Views)

Checkout Some Dangerously Overloaded Okadas Spotted On The Road (PHOTOS) / Kasuwar Magani, Kaduna Where It Is Forbidden To ‘Love’ / Ogun Community Where The Use Of Umbrella Is A Taboo (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 7:37pm On Apr 16, 2016
Vi, Ikoyi and Eko Atlantic just beyond the horizon.

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 7:41pm On Apr 16, 2016
These kids requested they pose for the camera. Genuine happiness is PRICELESS.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by cooldipo(m): 8:01pm On Apr 16, 2016
maleeks:
@Cooldipo
@Funjosh
@Brownemmanuel43
@Autolearner
@Samguine

@Cooldipo
@Funjosh
@Brownemmanuel43
@Autolearner
@Samguine
we are now good to go guys, would you mail me, so we can share our cellphone numbers and prepare for our trip while we chat on whatsapp

Cooldipo is reachable on 08065316307.....looking forward to the experience!
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by glossy6(f): 8:02pm On Apr 16, 2016
jaymichael:
More
The scenario around your home is angelic. I like your pride about your abode
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 12:04pm On Apr 17, 2016
josite:

you are the greatest nigerian ive met this year,in fact the man of the year.do tell us how we can come to the island for a weekend .plssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.drop your gsm,some of us will love to own a beachhome in your island.THUMBS UP.U ARE TRULY THE MAN OF THE YEAR.love your my cup is half full approach rather than my cup is half empty mindset of most Nigerians.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 12:06pm On Apr 17, 2016
glossy6:

The scenario around your home is angelic. I like your pride about your abode
Thanks. Whatever you have that you think is inadequate, is what some people DREAM about.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by lukkie(m): 12:51pm On Apr 17, 2016
This is turning out to be a nice thing. Kudos to Jaymichael. I love islands too. Would love to be there someday.

What about the ocean encroachment being experienced at the Bar Beach and Alpha Beach? Anything like that on your island?
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by lilreese: 1:19pm On Apr 17, 2016
Magnificent
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 1:25pm On Apr 17, 2016
cooldipo:

Cooldipo is reachable on 08065316307.....looking forward to the experience!
Do you know the place well, or you have someone (a resident) to show you around. Just yesterday evening, I was accosted by some elders and youth (that do not know me) that I why should I be taking pictures at random. I told them a village that I have a house and have lived for about two years and I have been visiting for about 15 to 20 years now. I told them I know all of them, I called Alhaji that even measured our land, called my friends which include a son of Baale Ifaako. They asked why don't they know me na? I told them na low profile things I dey run, they apologized and told me that I am one of them but they don't know me and they thought I have malicious intentions and I am free to do anything and question anything and anyone suspicious.
They are friendly, docile, laid-back. Strangers are welcome buy strange faces looking around may be looked at with suspicious tendency.

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 1:28pm On Apr 17, 2016
lukkie:
This is turning out to be a nice thing. Kudos to Jaymichael. I love islands too. Would love to be there someday.

What about the ocean encroachment being experienced at the Bar Beach and Alpha Beach? Anything like that on your island?
No, Our Island is not bordered by the ocean but by the Badagry creek. But the waters do rise and recede with tides and ebb.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by Diallo1: 1:29pm On Apr 17, 2016
MrTeCO:
Nice place to invest in real estate n tourism....

Mehn, a nice Lake View Estate will do well here.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 1:45pm On Apr 17, 2016
THE OLDER PART OF THE VILLAGE

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 1:48pm On Apr 17, 2016
More

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 2:02pm On Apr 17, 2016
These are shells of an edible mollusc. called isan and the shell is called "IPANKURU"
It is used in the building of foundation as a substitute for concrete stones. It doesn't corrode in water and cement and you have to be careful when handling it as it can be as sharp as an obsidian knife. It is a nightmare for boat and ship owners.
Periwinkle is also plenty here when it is their season and it's shell is used for construction as a substitute for concrete stones. It is particularly used for lintel part of the building.

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 2:13pm On Apr 17, 2016
Building materials Like cement, roofing sheets, planks and wood are mostly purchased from Coconut market and conveyed by boat to the Island from the jetty where Snake island (Igbologun) boats are boarded. This is the small jetty that overlooks Grimaldi PTML port. Sand is also sold at this jetty too.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 5:53pm On Apr 17, 2016
One of my favorite part of the Island. This place reminds me of that verse in Psalm 23,"HE LEADETH ME BESIDES THE STILL WATERS"
My favorite part of the Island.

7 Likes

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 5:56pm On Apr 17, 2016
More

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 6:04pm On Apr 17, 2016
One of my favorite photography style, use the canopy of the palmtree as the backdrop of the photo.

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 6:20pm On Apr 17, 2016
The beauty of this place can be captured with the eyes or a very good camera. A lot that I see on the background isn't captured on my 5mp camera. These places has Tincan Island with it's ships showing in the background but it wasn't captured clearly on the pictures.

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by 4nobody4every1: 6:26pm On Apr 17, 2016
jaymichael:
The beauty of this place can be captured with the eyes or a very good camera. A lot that I see on the background isn't captured on my 5mp camera. These places has Tincan Island with it's ships showing in the background but it wasn't captured clearly on the pictures.
Nice view, thanks for sharing cool

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 6:29pm On Apr 17, 2016
Those items in the water are net set to trap fishes.
Peace, serenity and quietness, this particular place has it.
It was once used as a mini beach where the youths bring in DJ and the women bring food and drinks to sell every Sunday evening. Trust Nigerians wey no sabi enjoy, they fought a serious fight that nearly turned inter-commuual. Since then, beach party has been banned here. You can just come and relax, soak in the atmosphere, but no party. And it's good that way. But this place is good for picnic party sha oooo.

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 6:37pm On Apr 17, 2016
I have shared with you my favorite part of the Island, next I will share with you my second most favorite part of the Island. I have some pictures but will share later. Manager beach AKA "shami sha e"I will let you know later but now mission accomplished for today, over and out.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 6:48pm On Apr 17, 2016
Tpeters:
My brother, the summary is, you live in the CREEK , ur own just dey lagos.... Many of dis kind island dey rivers wella
Ya, aptly put, I live in the crreks but emi okin se militant ooooo. Lol
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 1:11am On Apr 18, 2016
nwarosa:
Thanks. My preference would be to stay on the island. We can't be carrying equipment to and fro daily.

One question though, do you have fishermen on the island?
You are always welcome. I suggest you visit the Island first and see if the Island fits the ideal setting you have in mind.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 1:13am On Apr 18, 2016
adenitemi:

Interesting Mr. Michael. I'd like to chat with you offline. I'm thinking of volunteering to teach at the school, say once per week. Can you send me an email I can reach you on?
josephbabajide@email.com
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by cooldipo(m): 11:02am On Apr 18, 2016
@Jaymichael.....just so you know....I'm following the thread and enjoying your breautiful pictures....keep it coming bro!
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 11:18am On Apr 18, 2016
cooldipo:
@Jaymichael.....just so you know....I'm following the thread and enjoying your breautiful pictures....keep it coming bro!
Thank you.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by Santi222(m): 12:08pm On Apr 18, 2016
I need to visit this place... OP, I will call u some day...
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by kunlej2: 12:22pm On Apr 18, 2016
..try to watermark your pictures to avoid stories that touch! this thread is not copy-write protected.

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 12:26pm On Apr 18, 2016
Sometimes, people ask me when I tell them that I live on an Island, "kino o lowa leyin omi?" (why do you choose to live on an island?) I just answer according to mood and situation. No matter the answer I give, they can never understand (even if they pretend to). It's just like the feel of the rain on your skin, no one else can feel it for you.
I love the interesting challenges it brings. The boat ride to and fro Apapa every morning and evening is mostly the most pleasant parr of my day.
Here, I have learnt to improvise, I have learnt to manage resources more efficiently. I have learnt that some things we place premium on, are just over rated.
Groceries are a bit more expensive here relative to the mainland, they always cite the cost of conveyance by boat as the reason (but I disagree)
I buy my foodstuffs mostly from boundary market Ajegunle. I buy my groceries and toiletries from boundary market, Anjorin market Apapa and at Shoprite Park lane Apapa. When I have money I usually buy in packets and by the dozen as it is not only marginally cheaper, I also avoid being left stranded.
Here, the best time to take a stroll is in the evenings. The sun and sand burn ferociously during sunny days. On windy days, you can actually hear the palms whisper and whistle from your bedroom window.
This place has no special allure nor anything more interesting than the normal rural village settings, I love it maybe because it is right in the heart of Lagos, I may never figure.
There are lots of places like this all over lagos, I plan to visit, document and write about every single one of them someday.

13 Likes

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by Nobody: 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2016
yijfdsz
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 6:44pm On Apr 18, 2016
Sunset 6.40PM

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UK Warns Against Travel To 21 States / Which Nigerian City Can Road Traffic Be As Discipline As This? (PHOTOS) / Mack Rutherford: 17-Year-Old Pilot Becomes Youngest To Fly Around The World Solo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.