Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

Nigerians To Be Aware Of New Fraud On ATM - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerians To Be Aware Of New Fraud On ATM (884 Views)

Lady Slaps Man On ATM Queue. He Walks Away / Please I Need Quick Advise, I'm Aware Of A Kidnapping Attempt / New Fraud On Instagram By Scammers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians To Be Aware Of New Fraud On ATM by abeylevels(m): 8:25pm On Apr 17, 2016
Fellow Nairalanders,

Please pass this message round to your loved ones especially the older Mama & Papa who I believe could fall victim to the new Fraud being perpetuated by some 419 idiots now.

Recently, my ATM expired on 31st March. As at 30th March, I went to my bank to request for a new one.
I was told by the customer service section that the new set of cards would arrive the following week. Hence I had to wait.
As at 1st April, my card was expired hence no longer active.

Coincidentally on April 2nd, I received a text message from an MTN line(+2348066182037) saying the following....
Dear customer,
Your ATM card has been temporarily De-activated,
for Re-activation kindly contact the
interswitch management Mr Adebayo on 08066182037 .....

When I saw the message, I was not really suspecting any foul play even though I expect the sender's number to have the name of my Bank.
However, the message coincided with my situation for which my card was already expired.
Had it been that my card was not expired, I would have easily concluded the message was a scam
I received the message twice as you can see in the attached picture.

I decided to at least call the number and guess what the conversation was:
Me:- Hello, I received some text message asking for a re-activation of my ATM card
419 guy:- Yes. What is the name of your bank.
Me:- I told him the name of my bank
419 guy:What type of card are you using?
Me:- I told him Master card
419 guy:- I hope you know that your card has some numbers on it
Me: Yes
419 guy: Can you confirm they are up to sixteen digits?
Me: (already feeling somehow for these questions) I told him Yes
419 guy:- OK. Let tell me and let me write down the number ...!!!!
Me:- ....I asked him...what do you need the number for?...

Immediately, he cut off the call.

I wanted to be sure it was not the network. I dialed the idiots number again but he kept cutting it.

I was dam annoyed for the reason that he would have done same for so many people and some would have fall victim
I was sure that if i had given him the card number, the next thing he would ask is for my PIN & possibly account number

I was thinking of what to do.
Should I just ignore this and believe I did not fall victim them move on with my life or I contribute to help Nigerian government and my fellow Nigerians to arrest this idiot.

I waited for 2 days. Then call him again.

I was surprised that the idiot picked my number. Apparently, he did not store my number as he has millions of Nigerians he planned to dupe.
My plan was to at least get some information like his office address so that I can report him & get him arrested.
The conversation started again:

Me:- Hello, My ATM card is no longer active & I received some text messages asking for a re-activation.
419 guy:- Yes. What is the name of your bank.
Me:- I told him the name of my bank
419 guy:What type of card are you using?
Me:- I told him Master card
419 guy:- I hope you know that your card has some numbers on it
Me: Yes
419 guy: Can you confirm they are up to sixteen digits?
Me:- I told him Yes
419 guy:- Give me the number!
Me:- I will give you but I will like to come to your office to give you so that once you activate the card, you can test the card for me
419 guy:- OK. My office is at Mile 2
Me:- Where in Mile 2?
419 guy:-The UBA office at Mile 2.
Me:- OK, what is your full name so that when I get to your office, I can ask of you?
419 guy:- ...Adebayo.... A... Adewale
Me:- (I was sure that was not his real name). OK. Is this your number so that i can call you when I come?
419 guy:-Yes
Me:- Is it registered cuz I dont want the number unreachable when I come since MTN might block it if you are not registered
419 guy:-Yes. It is registered

I have since called MTN to report the idiot and gave them the number to possibly assist in nabbing him.

My fellow Nairalanders, please inform your loved ones. I am almost certain that out of 170 million Nigerians out there, there are some people(young or old) who would not suspect foul play.
That innocent victim might be related to you. so please spread the message .
If you have received similar message & you are sure its a 419, dont keep quiet. do something about it .
At least report somewhere and inform people around you.

The government is trying its best to get rid of these criminals but we as citizens have some role to play.
God Bless us All.

Re: Nigerians To Be Aware Of New Fraud On ATM by Nobody: 8:39pm On Apr 17, 2016
fraudsters everywhere, i wonder if they cant just use that their fraud brain to do something productive.

Op. You even get time exchanging conversation with him, left to me, i will curse him, never in his life will he see hair in his left armpit again
Re: Nigerians To Be Aware Of New Fraud On ATM by delishpot: 8:42pm On Apr 17, 2016
Under no circumstance should you give your bank details to someone through E mails or SMS or phone chat.
Re: Nigerians To Be Aware Of New Fraud On ATM by feldido(m): 10:17pm On Apr 17, 2016
The Guy is a learner... grin

(1) (Reply)

Female Frat Colours / For Refusing Him Sex, Check Out What Man Did To His Girlfriend (photo) / A Heart Rending Letter By A Pregnant Catholic Nun Who Was Raped.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.