Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,269 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! (42717 Views)

Tosin Etomi, Adesua Etomi's Elder Brother Walks Her Down The Aisle As She Cries / Article: Kenya Cries – Nigeria Is Slowly But Surely Colonizing Us, Not China / We’re Slowly But Surely Falling In Love With Van Vicke’s New Muscular Look . . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by demiladegold(f): 1:10pm On Apr 18, 2016
denisfidha:

Stop kidding yourself, Kenya has the second most saturated retail market in africa after south africa, if you take a product to Kenya, beter be sure its if the highest quality or you will return home with it, just because ppl like Nigerian songs and movies (especially low income ppl) hense the curiosity for Nigerian culture doesnt mean ppl are drung with nigerianess....

things you read on google are not always true, you know. I'm 95% sure of what i have written. if you take kitenges (Ankara) to Kenya just mention they are from Nigeria and they are sold.

p.s it is not the low income people in Kenya that loves Nigerian songs. there is almost no house you would enter in Kenya that would not have Nigerian songs .parties inclusive
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by demiladegold(f): 1:14pm On Apr 18, 2016
hollyayo:
kiss hi, how is Kenya today?

Kenya is same as always
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by demiladegold(f): 1:15pm On Apr 18, 2016
ipledge4:
maybe it is time for me to port to kenya and start selling shoes and Bag...i will have big Nigeria flag at my shop entrance...what do you think about that?

lolz.... clothes and shoes are very cheap here.. look for something else
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by jmichlins(m): 1:37pm On Apr 18, 2016
Akshow:
But I didn't argue that na. I only confirmed his assertion that igbos are indeed know for their exploits especially in Thailand and Malaysia. now what I've I said that is wrong now? Abi guilty conscience de worry u ni??
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by kechywillz(m): 2:07pm On Apr 18, 2016
[quote author=jmichlins post=44800793]When they talk about Nigerians doing exploits abroad we know they are talking about Igbos the most traveling tribe in Nigeria. Kenya never see something by the time we are through with them, they will beg whites to come take their lands again [/quote ]
wats dis one saying
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by demiladegold(f): 2:17pm On Apr 18, 2016
honestly you are right, yoruba and igbos have dominated Kenya, i've not seen a single hausa here
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by Baroba(m): 2:29pm On Apr 18, 2016
samobo:

Get some education and clear your ignorance

https://www.nairaland.com/3050941/documents-igbos-pictures#44733889

Thanks for posting that link, in the mist of junk you find on NL, one discovers nuggets such as this..

Great read..
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by Baroba(m): 2:33pm On Apr 18, 2016
Interesting, I met a woman at work yesterday, she was from Kenya. The first thing she asked me was, why are Nigerians buying up so much real Estate in Kenya? Since I don't live there l, I no get answer..

From what I know of my people, once the place get decent working infrastructure, they find it easy to thrive..
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by ipledge4(m): 2:49pm On Apr 18, 2016
demiladegold:

lolz.... clothes and shoes are very cheap here.. look for something else
i mean confirm italian and spanish leather shoes
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by musicwriter(m): 3:16pm On Apr 18, 2016
demiladegold:

well, op i think everything you have written is right. but trust me Kenyans are the ones bringing about this colonization themselves. Kenyans would do almost anything to be like Nigerians, whenever i tell anyone I'm a Nigerian they look at me like I'm a god and they start asking you questions. if you bring the worst products from Nigeria to Kenya, it would surely sell as long as you tell them its from Nigeria.

the only way to get a hold on themselves is if they start to get a hold on themselves. i mean no offense but most Kenyan products are better than Nigeria's yet they abandon their products and go for fake Nigerian products

need i say that not only Kenyans have this problem, most African countries do including Nigeria. only when we learn to stand on our feet in Africa would we move forward.

i didnt even realise i had written an essay. Airsultan, whatsup

Ironically, the same influence we're talking about is exactly the same influence white people have on the entire African continent. This's why we as a continent must repel anything western and come back to ourselves.

1. White people are not more intelligent than Africans.
2. English language is not better than Yoruba.
3. French is not better than Igbo language.
4. Western education is not better than education based on African philosophy.
5. A white man is not better than a Blackman.
6. A white woman is not better than a black woman.
e.t.c.

We the African people must collectively realize the foolery in allowing ourselves be controlled by foreigners who aren't better than us.

Just a thought......

1 Like

Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 18, 2016
demiladegold:

things you read on google are not always true, you know. I'm 95% sure of what i have written. if you take kitenges (Ankara) to Kenya just mention they are from Nigeria and they are sold.

p.s it is not the low income people in Kenya that loves Nigerian songs. there is almost no house you would enter in Kenya that would not have Nigerian songs .parties inclusive

If you happen to travel around Africa, you will see that there are a number of things that Bantus have in common which cant have been adopted but more like shared at one time

Kitenge is found in the east African coastal towns across Kenya and Tanzania(in east Africa it has its origings in Swahili culture ), it is liked in other parts of Kenya...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitenge
What is Kitenge to Kenya is Ankara to Nigeria - Same clothing,same fabric
Just like what is Fufu in west Africa is Ugali in East Africa

There is even a whole fashion clothline from different designers on this type of clothing from mainlt Eastafrican countries and other intrested countries that use this type of clothing held yearly in Nairobi google "Swahili fashion Week" -https://www.google.com/search?q=swahili+fashion+week&biw=1024&bih=501&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiagIiVspjMAhUInRoKHR4wCvkQ_AUIBygB

-------------

And I said ".....movies (especially low income ppl)" ---- most nigerian movies are watched by low income ppl

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by Nobody: 3:45pm On Apr 18, 2016
southniyikaye:
on my way to Kenya now,I have this 700k I can spare and throw around make I see wetin go happen for there first,I go gist una with pictures later
700K in kenya is 350K, hardly enough for a ticket to and fro then staying in a 5 star hotel for few days and going around splashing

1 Like

Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by IAmTobore(m): 4:12pm On Apr 18, 2016
demiladegold:

well, op i think everything you have written is right. but trust me Kenyans are the ones bringing about this colonization themselves. Kenyans would do almost anything to be like Nigerians, whenever i tell anyone I'm a Nigerian they look at me like I'm a god and they start asking you questions. if you bring the worst products from Nigeria to Kenya, it would surely sell as long as you tell them its from Nigeria.

the only way to get a hold on themselves is if they start to get a hold on themselves. i mean no offense but most Kenyan products are better than Nigeria's yet they abandon their products and go for fake Nigerian products

need i say that not only Kenyans have this problem, most African countries do including Nigeria. only when we learn to stand on our feet in Africa would we move forward.

i didnt even realise i had written an essay. Airsultan, whatsup

Why are you leaking our secrets for GOD's sake?
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by Nobody: 5:13pm On Apr 18, 2016
Really As a Kenyan, I found that article not only ridiculous but very narrow minded.
Last I checked, there is only one place in the entire country where Nigerians are present; Nairobi. I come from Mombasa, Kenya's second largest city, where the majority of the population is Arab and Swahili and where Nigerian culture is nil.Zero. Zilch. I currently actually live in Nairobi, where Nollywood movies are watched by...our maids. I do not know any middle class Kenyan who actually watches Nollywood movies.
and Demiladegold.What Nigerian products are sold in Kenya beyond books and ocassionally clothes??There are direct trade barriers (that our president has tried and failed to bring down)deliberately put between the EAC/COMESA and ECOWAS, there is hell in no way any Nigerian products find their way here. Legally that is . No supermarket stocks any product from Nigeria.Ever.Maybe a bookstore and a few boutiques.
Kenyans, especially those from my region where I was born (the Coast) look to the West, and for the Muslims, to KSA and Lebanon. Not to Nigeria. Central Kenyans dislike Nigerians with a passion and the Western part are too obessed with Obama(since his father is from there) to notice Nigeria.I doubt the cushite North even knows Nigeria exists!!
The fact that some working class and low income Kenyans from Eastern Nairobi like Nigerian music does not signify 'the colonisation of Kenya' by Nigerians since nigerian influence is zero amongst Kenya's middle ad Upper class in Nairobi(For example I live in Westlands, Nairobi, where Asian culture reigns supreme and the rest of this part of the city would not look out of place in the UK. Especially Karen which still has a white majority to date or Kilimani and Kileleshwa where upper class black Kenyans are busy creating sex scandals, fun parties and virtually everything Americans do) and is also nil in all other Kenyan cities. Show me any 'Nigerian influence' in Kisumu,Nakuru,Eldoret, Garissa(a somali town),Nyeri,Machakos or Kisii.
As for Nigerians buying land in Kenya.I know liars when I read them. Do mention where they have bought real estate in Nairobi since Nairobi, the only place where Nigeirans are found, all the land in the city is leasehold and owned by either the National Government,Local Government or the Millitary.
And as of 2010 Non citizens cannot own land on freehold in Kenya. Even Citizens cannot own freehold land in Nairobi where everyone is on a 99 year lease. What crap have you been fed on Our own Italian population at the Coast had to learn fluent Swahili(They had only satisfied the 7 year requirement as most had been around for 30+ years without taking up citizenship) and engange with the locals to get a good rating in order to retain their lands there. I doubt any Nigerian owns any real estate beyond an apartment lease in Nairobi since our last census did not show any Nigerians as citizens here.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by demiladegold(f): 5:42pm On Apr 18, 2016
GERALD710:
Really As a Kenyan, I found that article not only ridiculous but very narrow minded.
Last I checked, there is only one place in the entire country where Nigerians are present; Nairobi. I come from Mombasa, Kenya's second largest city, where the majority of the population is Arab and Swahili and where Nigerian culture is nil.Zero. Zilch. I currently actually live in Nairobi, where Nollywood movies are watched by...our maids. I do not know any middle class Kenyan who actually watches Nollywood movies.
and Demiladegold.What Nigerian products are sold in Kenya beyond books and ocassionally clothes??There are direct trade barriers (that our president has tried and failed to bring down)deliberately put between the EAC/COMESA and ECOWAS, there is hell in no way any Nigerian products find their way here. Legally that is . No supermarket stocks any product from Nigeria.Ever.Maybe a bookstore and a few boutiques.
Kenyans, especially those from my region where I was born (the Coast) look to the West, and for the Muslims, to KSA and Lebanon. Not to Nigeria. Central Kenyans dislike Nigerians with a passion and the Western part are too obessed with Obama(since his father is from there) to notice Nigeria.I doubt the cushite North even knows Nigeria exists!!
The fact that some working class and low income Kenyans from Eastern Nairobi like Nigerian music does not signify 'the colonisation of Kenya' by Nigerians since nigerian influence is zero amongst Kenya's middle ad Upper class in Nairobi(For example I live in Westlands, Nairobi, where Asian culture reigns supreme and the rest of this part of the city would not look out of place in the UK. Especially Karen which still has a white majority to date or Kilimani and Kileleshwa where upper class black Kenyans are busy creating sex scandals, fun parties and virtually everything Americans do) and is also nil in all other Kenyan cities. Show me any 'Nigerian influence' in Kisumu,Nakuru,Eldoret, Garissa(a somali town),Nyeri,Machakos or Kisii.
As for Nigerians buying land in Kenya.I know liars when I read them. Do mention where they have bought real estate in Nairobi since Nairobi, the only place where Nigeirans are found, all the land in the city is leasehold and owned by either the National Government,Local Government or the Millitary.
And as of 2010 Non citizens cannot own land on freehold in Kenya. Even Citizens cannot own freehold land in Nairobi where everyone is on a 99 year lease. What crap have you been fed on Our own Italian population at the Coast had to learn fluent Swahili(They had only satisfied the 7 year requirement as most had been around for 30+ years without taking up citizenship) and engange with the locals to get a good rating in order to retain their lands there. I doubt any Nigerian owns any real estate beyond an apartment lease in Nairobi since our last census did not show any Nigerians as citizens here.

Sorry if you found d article offensive..... Thanks for the insight
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by danot1030: 6:09pm On Apr 18, 2016
jmichlins:
When they talk about Nigerians doing exploits abroad we know they are talking about Igbos the most traveling tribe in Nigeria. Kenya never see something by the time we are through with them, they will beg whites to come take their lands again
The last time I checked Igbos are destroying Nigeria reputation abroad, Igbos represents Nigerians in foreign countries prisons, they also represents Nigerians that are killed in abroad for their criminal activities.
Meanwhile names like Davido, GTBank and Dangote does not stand Igbo's.
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by ruffcoin99(m): 7:45pm On Apr 18, 2016
Put this on google.com : most travelled tribe in nigeria
jmichlins:
When they talk about Nigerians doing exploits abroad we know they are talking about Igbos the most traveling tribe in Nigeria. Kenya never see something by the time we are through with them, they will beg whites to come take their lands again
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by ruffcoin99(m): 7:45pm On Apr 18, 2016
Put this on google.com : most travelled tribe in nigeria
jmichlins:
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by hollyayo(m): 9:17pm On Apr 18, 2016
Ok smiley
demiladegold:

Kenya is same as always
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by imsuboi(m): 9:23am On Apr 19, 2016
karlriz:
grin

And some peeps want us a country 2 divide??. undecided

You guys have no idea how much the combination of us (Flavour, Davido, wizkid....and possibly Ice Prince) as a country is bin adore and cherish outside our shores. wink

You (Nigeria) have no idea how important you are and how important you will be.#Stay_United

you are intellectually myopic
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by karlriz(m): 9:44am On Apr 19, 2016
imsuboi:

you are intellectually myopic

All because of ur illusion 2 break dis country??.

The extent of ur illusion rily bugs me.

Nigeria ge megi Ihe oma.
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by kilokeys(m): 11:51am On Apr 20, 2016
ireneony:

Thanks I saw ur likes.. My SD card crashed. Send me a message on whatsapp.. 07084796868 . I m waiting o.

Message will self destruct in 24 hrs.. I dey copy u[center][/center]
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by ireneony(f): 11:53am On Apr 20, 2016
kilokeys:

Thanks I saw ur likes.. My SD card crashed. Send me a message on whatsapp.. 07084796868 . I m waiting o.

Message will self destruct in 24 hrs.. I dey copy u[center][/center]
ok noted cheesy
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by Kenyanna: 4:41pm On Apr 20, 2016
GERALD710:

Only low class house maids from Western Kenya like Nigerian movies.
The only reason Kenyan TV stations began airing naija movies is because they are cheapest in the market. Kenyans only watch local TV during evening news otherwise Kenyans avoid local TV stations like the plague. Lazy housemaids wait for their masters to leave the house then they watch whatever crap they can find on TV. The remote control for DSTV/GOtv is too difficult for them so they just watch low quality crap. These maids are super bored and will watch absolutely anything to pass time. Plus alot of these nollywood movies are mostly about poor women they can relate with. People from Western Kenya also believe in witchcraft which is a common theme in Nollywood. People from Central and Northern Kenya will never waste their time watching voodoo witchcraft nonsense.

This link shows the general feeling of Kenyans.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/10/nollywood-celebrates-witchcraft-voodoo-say-kenyan-film-makers/
Nollywood celebrates witchcraft, voodoo, say Kenyan film makers

While Nollywood is making waves, as second largest film industry in the world, the movies are relatively unpopular in Kenya. Kenyans know more of Hollywood, Bollywood than they do know about the existence of Nollywood, they stressed, adding that, Nigerian films really do apply to Nigerians.
In Kenya, Nollywood movies are relatively scarce, only house-maids and Nigerians residing in that country may show interest in such movies. This is the group of people that watches Nigerian films in Kenya.
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by londoner: 8:56pm On Apr 20, 2016
I was at a friend's baby shower not long ago and there was a Kenyan girl there. When she found I was Nigerian she was going on about how Kenyans love Nigerians and wish they could be Nigerian. I just looked at her funny because that's a weird thing to say. What she ended up saying is that they love Nigerian men but hate the women.

Anyway I don't trust people that go out of their way to praise you or show you how much they 'like'you. Often these same people will stab you in the back because they are insincere.

We don't need any Kenyan fake like thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by Nobody: 8:20am On May 05, 2016
There is a Kenyan stereotype that Nigerian women have lips bigger than Jay Z. The few times I have seen a Nollywood movie(agonizingly) one cannot fail to notice the excess lipbalm that triple magnifies the lips to whale like proportions.
Then Nigerians go on to sneer on the movie with those lips. And leave us wondering if Jonah could fit in them.

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by NairobiWalker(m): 9:33am On Sep 26, 2016
Kenyanna:

Exactly. Kenyans from Central, Northern and Coastal regions look down on West Africans.
The only reason Kenyan TV stations began airing naija movies is because they are cheapest in the market. Kenyans only watch local TV during evening news otherwise Kenyans avoid local TV stations like the plague. Lazy housemaids wait for their masters to leave the house then they watch whatever crap they can find on TV. The remote control for DSTV/GOtv is too difficult for them so they just watch low quality crap. These maids are super bored and will watch absolutely anything to pass time. Plus alot of these nollywood movies are mostly about poor women they can relate with. People from Western Kenya also believe in witchcraft which is a common theme in Nollywood. People from Central and Northern Kenya will never waste their time watching voodoo witchcraft nonsense.

You really seem to have a low opinion of people from Western Kenya. It's never good my dear - it's understandable when a Nigerian is ignorant about Kenya but stupid when a Kenyan peddles ignorance about their own country in an attempt to make their community seem superior.

4 Likes

Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by Hbuyosh(m): 9:45am On Sep 26, 2016
Kenyanna:

Exactly. Kenyans from Central, Northern and Coastal regions look down on West Africans.

Not cool brother. Nearly every community in Kenya in the past used to believe strongly in the potency of witchcraft, but with the advent of modern education that belief is slowly waning. Most westerners have abandoned the belief and practice in witchcraft. There are pipo in central Kenya who still believe in and practice witchcraft, but is true that they are in the minority.
Do u have any evidence to prove your implication above that Nollywood movies are popular in western Kenya- and in your flawed argument, it's due to their depiction of witchcraft with which the communities from their identify with?

Visit Kisumu or Kakamega movie halls/houses one of these fine days, even those shanty ones, and see if they really ever show Nollywood movies. They dont, the aint that popular. Nobody would pay to see them.

4 Likes

Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by Hbuyosh(m): 9:51am On Sep 26, 2016
NairobiWalker:

You really seem to have a low opinion of people from Western Kenya. It's never good my dear - it's understandable when a Nigerian is ignorant about Kenya but stupid when a Kenyan peddles ignorance about their own country in an attempt to make their community seem superior.
Karibu bro. Ni Iconoclastes hapa wa ule mkahawa mwingine huwa tunakunyia kahawa. Naona uliingia humu majuzi tu!
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by NairobiWalker(m): 10:41am On Sep 26, 2016
Hbuyosh:
Karibu bro. Ni Iconoclastes hapa wa ule mkahawa mwingine huwa tunakunyia kahawa. Naona uliingia humu majuzi tu!

Hahaha.......boss uko kila mahali bro. Hapo nilikua nimecatch feelings na huyo mshe (nadhani ni dem juu kulikua na dem Skyscraper na hiyo jina). Unaona vile anatuchomea sisi wasee wa Western?

1 Like

Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by Hbuyosh(m): 10:51am On Sep 26, 2016
NairobiWalker:

Hahaha.......boss uko kila mahali bro. Hapo nilikua nimecatch feelings na huyo mshe (nadhani ni dem juu kulikua na dem Skyscraper na hiyo jina). Unaona vile anatuchomea sisi wasee wa Western?
He he, kama sina job mob ya kudo like now, huwa nawaste time kwenye hizi blogs.
Lakini huyo chali/demu (hajaindicate gender yake) amebonga kwa ubaya hapo juu yetu, na si poa vile anatuchukulia wasee wa western.
Re: Kenya Cries : It’s Nigeria, Not China, That Is Slowly But Surely Colonising Us ! by LadyX(f): 11:10am On Sep 26, 2016
NairobiWalker:

Mtu ako na hiyo moniker amenikasirisha sana. Hao ndiyo wanafanya watu kwa hii forum watusi wakenya. I typed a message to reply him/her lakini nikaona ni harsh sana.
Wengine tunatetea Kenya na wengine wanajaribu kujifanya region/tribe zao ni better.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Omotunde Adebowale-David "Lolo 1" And Her Daughter In Cute Selfies / Skuki Tries To Conceal His Bulge While Performing With Foreign Dancers.(pics) / Binta Kofar Soro Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.