Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,218 members, 7,811,607 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

Our Present Society Keep Marginalising The Male Gender. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Our Present Society Keep Marginalising The Male Gender. (679 Views)

List Of Clothing Materials Grooms Present To Brides In The North / Why Do Poor People In Our Society Like Having Plenty Kids? / The Society And The Male Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Present Society Keep Marginalising The Male Gender. by Joel3(m): 3:11pm On Apr 18, 2016
I stumbled on this post below by drabeey. and I paused for some minutes to think about it. and I found every thing he said to be true. this is to show how the male gender has been marginalized in this 21st century. and cold caught me for some minutes. after reflecting the damage this has done to male gender due to civilization. I am worried and fear for the future for male gender in 22nd century. very soon folks from poor background will start preferring female child to male.

this is not how it use to be in the past. I will need response from other peoples view before I take this topic further.

Drabeey:

Who's that...... that still believes there is gender equality in this world... what is even gender equality...so what linds is simply saying is that, she can blast and carry hate news of someone ,but the fellow cant threathen to beat her in return abi? If it were to be the western world wizkid will be facing charges now and lose his endorsements, yet you linda wont lose any cus you are a woman... abi?

Have we thought about tge fact that men are serioysly facing discriminations everywhere?
The only prfession i can see more men today is in the military. #finish
Banking-women
Media-women
Teaching-women
Oil and gas- women ( except you want a danger zone ... drilling and rest )
Telecommunications - women

.......to mention a few

This nonsense of gender equality must stop!
Except it will be faced to men, now women wants to subdue the whole world...

If i catch Linda myself eehnnn.... she go hear am from me. Nonsense

Darbeey wrote this joor
Re: Our Present Society Keep Marginalising The Male Gender. by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 18, 2016
U make sense sir. Gender equality nonsense must stop joor!
Re: Our Present Society Keep Marginalising The Male Gender. by Fkforyou(m): 11:57pm On Apr 18, 2016
Nope, we can't stop this gender equality issue, it's gaining ground wether we like it or not.

All we need to do is to rise up to the challenge instead of complaining about how women are taking over all the jobs,we should focus more on beign better,cos in all honesty we both were given equal opportunity.

Women faced challenges in the past and this has made them to want to be tougher and resilient and hence,while women are becoming ambitious day by day and encouraging one another ,men are busy discussing and debating about women as if our lives cannot be meaniful without them.....toks2008 is a typically example.

PS: Am not saying we dont face some level of discrimination, especially by the pseudo-feminist who are only out to promote their selfish interest, all am saying is that we need to rise up to the challenge.

MEN WAKE UP, EARN THE RIGHT TO BE CALLED A LEADER.!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Our Present Society Keep Marginalising The Male Gender. by Fawklicant: 6:00am On Apr 19, 2016
The context within which @drabee has his understanding is totally flawed. Using Linda/.whizkid's feud as an analogy is irresponsible to say the least. Threat to life of any gender is frowned upon by the law regatdless of gender. Linda is a juornalist of some sort and if she publishes falsehood about whizkid, then he has every right to institute charges against her and not make public threats to her life. If the stories are true, then he can get mad all he wants, Linda has a duty to do her job and do it well.

That being said, the gender equality thing is being taken out of context world over to literally mean male subservience to the female gender all in a bid to foster some sort of balance and protect women in precarious situations. The same victim mentality displayed by most women at the home front has been taken to the world stage mostly due to the male gender's own overzealous and callous interpretations and undertsanding of nature's provision for women in the order of things.

Biblically, God didnt create a slave for Adam, instead he created a helper for him. Many cultures refused to see it that way. Now the tables are turning in favour of the women folk and then we get to see that we are all the same after all, just a matter of who holds power.

1 Like

Re: Our Present Society Keep Marginalising The Male Gender. by Joel3(m): 7:01am On Apr 19, 2016
I think it's the male that should be asking for
gender equality. because what i can see now
they have been cheated in this modern society.

the ideal of sex sell actually promoted this unfairness.

Sex Sells.”
Hate or love it, sex attracts the eye more
than any other type of advertisement. We
are sexual beings, therefore are attracted to
sexually related subjects, jokes, and other
matters. Many companies use the sex
concept in their favor, while adding a
humorous element to it. Making you laugh
and find the sexual cleverness of
the advertisement, will most likely have you
talking about the ad and sharing it with
your peers. Companies hope that when they
create an amazing ad, it will go viral.
Some companies use sexuality for their ads
because it related to their product.

Professionally speaking, I
would much rather see an ad that is more
consumer friendly. Showcasing an ad of a
mother/father capturing a picture of their
newborn would be more appropriate. A
caption for this particular ad could be
“Capture your memories forever.” Yes it
might seem corny (First thing came to my
head), but it’s simple and straight to the
point.

Many people disagree with this movement,
and find that using sex in advertising is the
failure to be creative. If you can’t come up
with a great idea, the last resort is to use
sex. Many people have different beliefs and
religions they follow/go by. Most people
will find it offensive when ads showcase
inappropriate body parts, or sexually
engaging messages.

Sex Sell
But whose sex is sold? And to who?
"If it was simply that sex sold," I
continued…

…we'd see men and women equally
sexually objectified in popular
culture. Instead, we see, primarily,
women sold to (presumably
heterosexual) men. So what are we
selling, exactly, if not "sex"?

I argued that what was really being sold
was men's (presumably heterosexual)
sexual subjectivity, the experience of
being a person in the world who was
presented with images that were for his
titillation . Women do not live in the
world this way. They are not exposed
everyday to images that legitimize their
lust; instead, the images teach women
that they are the object of that lust.

In light of this, Sociologist Beth Eck did a
series of interviews attempting to tap
into what it felt like for men and women
to look at male and female nudes. Her
findings were pretty fascinating.

First, she asked men and women to look
at naked images of women,

Women viewing images of female nudes
almost inevitably compared themselves
to the figure and felt inadequate. Said
one women:

…the portrayal of these thin models
and I just get depressed… I'm very
hard on myself, wanting to be that
way.

Women ended up feeling bad whether the
model conformed to conventional norms
of attractiveness or not. When looking at
a heavy set woman, they often responded
like this:

I don't necessarily find her body
that attractive… Her stomach looks
like mine. she feel sad.

Men, in contrast, clearly felt pandered to
as holders of a heterosexual male gaze.
They knew that the image was for them
and offered praise (for a job well done)
or criticism (for failure to live up to
their expectations). they
said:
Personally I think she is attractive.
I like that.

Both men and women, then, knew
exactly how to respond to female nudes:
women had internalized their object
status and men had internalized their
subject status.

Eck then showed them male nudes,
including one of Sylvester Stallone:

Interestingly, both men and women felt
uncomfortable looking at male nudes.
Men responded by either expressing
extreme disinterest, re-asserting their
heterosexuality, or both. They did not
compare themselves to the male nudes
(like women did with female nudes),
except to say that they were both male
and, therefore, there was "nothing to
see." Meanwhile, because men have been
trained to be a lustful sexual subject,
seeing male nudity tended to raise the
specter of homosexuality. They couldn't
see the bodies as anything but sexual
objects for them to gaze upon.

In contrast, the specter of homosexuality
didn't arise for women because they
weren't used to being positioned as
lustful. Eck explains:
When women view the seductive
pose of the female nude, they do
not believe she is ‘coming on to'
them. They know she is there to
arouse men. Thus, they do not have
to work at rejecting an unwanted
advance. It is not for them.

Many women also did not feel lustful
when looking at male nudes and those
that did often experienced lust mixed
with guilt or shame. Eck suggest that this
may be, in part, a reaction to taking on
the active, consuming, masculine role,
something they're not supposed to do.

Summarizing responses to the male
nudes, she writes:
Men, over and over again, reject
the seductive advance [of a male
nude]. While some women welcome
the advance, most feel a
combination of shame, guilt, or
repulsion in interacting with the
image…

This is what it means to live in a world
in which desire is structured by a
gendered sexual subject/object binary. It's
not just "out there," it's "in us"

1 Like

Re: Our Present Society Keep Marginalising The Male Gender. by Janeyinspires(f): 12:07pm On Apr 19, 2016
Fawklicant:
The context within which @drabee has his understanding is totally flawed. Using Linda/.whizkid's feud as an analogy is irresponsible to say the least. Threat to life of any gender is frowned upon by the law regatdless of gender. Linda is a juornalist of some sort and if she publishes falsehood about whizkid, then he has every right to institute charges against her and not make public threats to her life. If the stories are true, then he can get mad all he wants, Linda has a duty to do her job and do it well.

That being said, the gender equality thing is being taken out of context world over to literally mean male subservience to the female gender all in a bid to foster some sort of balance and protect women in precarious situations. The same victim mentality displayed by most women at the home front has been taken to the world stage mostly due to the male gender's own overzealous and callous interpretations and undertsanding of nature's provision for women in the order of things.

Biblically, God didnt create a slave for Adam, instead he created a helper for him. Many cultures refused to see it that way. Now the tables are turning in favour of the women folk and then we get to see that we are all the same after all, just a matter of who holds power.

Very clear analysis.

The 'gender equality' agitation is simply that,women should be seen as a helpmeet,a neck/shoulder to support the head.Women don't want to be treated like a doormat,they also don't want to be relegated to 'sex and baby factory'.
Women have brains too.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

A Moms Pregnancy Experience / Termination Of Traditional Marrin Nigeria / What Is That 1 Most Important Reason One Should Get Married ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.