Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? (2524 Views)

Give Reasonable Suggestions On How Nigeria Can Be Great Again / Pray For Buhari, Nigeria Will Be Great - Fayose / Okonjo-iweala Begged Me Not To Say Nigeria Was Broke –amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by DMerciful(m): 6:59pm On Apr 18, 2016
These days you hear people say 'Nigeria will be great again'...emphasis on AGAIN. Has Nigeria ever been great before? look at just a few occurrence in the past that shows we have never truly achieved greatness.
1.The first republic(Balewa's govt) was overthrown for massive corruption. Politicians were highly corrupt then.
2.Aguiyi Ironsi was overthrown 6 months after becoming head of state in what look like ethnically motivated
3.Gowon's govt was overthrown by Murtala Mohd for failing to meet the expectation of the Nigerian people.
4. Murtala was overthrown and assassinated 6 months after coming to power.
5.Democratically elected govt of Shagari was overthrown by Buhari for corruption
6.Buhari was overthrown for insensitivity of the diversity of the Nigerian state and lack of essential commodities
7. Babangida instituted corruption and suffering through SAP
8.Abacha stole all the money.
9. Obasanjo did fairly well but did not follow due process and rule of law.
10.Yaradua then Turai held the country to ransom.
11. GEJ did not exert himself and allowed stealing and Boko haram manace to thrive.
12. Buhari hit the ground and remained there...

so when has nigeria been great, i honestly want to know.

cc. Lalasticlala
please do the needful for more contribution.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by CHIJIOKE1314: 7:01pm On Apr 18, 2016
Nigeria was great in their dreams and their deluded minds..

You see, one thing you don't understand is the thought processing of Zombies.

* When their master drank alcohol, they get intoxicated.

* The master eat meat, they handle toothpicks .

* The master dirty his shoes, they cleans it.

* The master ywarns they suffer headache

* The master farts, they celebrate the odor

Nigeria has always been a backward dungeon. .

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by madenigga(m): 7:05pm On Apr 18, 2016
Me i wonder o, asif Nigeria was great before?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by youngeagle(m): 7:38pm On Apr 18, 2016
Most Nigerians are deluded,this country was built on a wrong foundation,that's the word those empty skull leaders has bn telling us while they siphon our common wealth....I say slice this damn country into 3 let's see if things will work

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by MrcuteOscar: 7:43pm On Apr 18, 2016
Nigeria was in a continent called Africa.. nothing more, when we great?
People deceiving people since 1914.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by tuniski: 7:49pm On Apr 18, 2016
It is a phrase only for zombies. In their programmed minds that equates increasing fuel scarcity,round tripping in forex, darkness,corruption, impunity, inconclusiveness and ultimately a comatose nation!
May God heal them!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by Ooni: 8:07pm On Apr 18, 2016
Ibos are a threat to we yorubas. we know Nigeria will be great if they rule this country. But will not allow it because if such happens it 'll consign us into oblivion and irrelevance. We always need to conspire with the backwards north to maintain the grip on nigeria. Even though it will be very difficult to progress that way, it will give us the much needed relevance. The best for us is to stay that way and pray for nigeria.

Dont even critisize us cos politics is about interest

6 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by juman(m): 8:20pm On Apr 18, 2016
As years pass over years the country depreciates in value.
Yesterdays were better than todays.

But I agree as you opined those "leaders" were disgrace of human beings.
They failed nigerians and they failed blackhood (world wide blacks).

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by cybertyrant(m): 8:28pm On Apr 18, 2016
My brother ask them ooo,the only time nigeria was great was before independence,apart from that i dnt see any greatness.

#BIG4NOTHING

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by DMerciful(m): 8:39pm On Apr 18, 2016
If you listen to musicians of old, they were always lamenting the state of the nation. Always criticising the govt and yet people who know not history says we should return to those so called yesteryears when Nigeria was supposedly great. Great indeed!

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Apr 18, 2016
Nigeria was developing relatively well and the country was considered to have bright future prospects by Nigerians and foreigners alike.
The chances the country had to become a great country with a flourishing economy that could have become a respectable and decisive global player have been destroyed by Nigerians themselves - their leaders in particular who didn't invest for the common good as they could have and who didn't save for rainy days like they were told to by their "enemies" among others.

By now, Nigeria could be a well-developed country but corruption, tribalism, ignorance and lack of integrity led to the crisis we are currently facing and it is only the beginning.

Nigerians need to re-evaluate themselves individually and collectively. They should stop blaming the past, other tribes and foreigners for their own shortcomings and start with themselves. It is called empowerment.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 18, 2016
Are u minding the deluded clownish zombies....

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by ozoebuka1(m): 10:42pm On Apr 18, 2016
the funny thing is that we will all gather here and lament as usual and afterwards we will relegate back to supporting our tribes' man that is in power.... a sincere mind knows that our basic problem lies in tribalism I.e supporting people from our tribe even when it's very clear he's committed a crime..... I wonder why we shouldn't advocate that this country be made to function in such a way that tribal prejudice won't be given a chance to play a part.... Why can't all the citizens of Nigeria stand up and advocate for true federalism or better still dissolution of this country?
every sane mind knows that this will propel every region forward but due to lack of confidence some pipo has failed to accept this venture.... "How depressing".... "our" own doesn't really bring the effects "my" own brings yet we've refused to imbibe it in the issues concerning Nigeria... How I wish I have the power but then, what do I know?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by kYjelly2: 10:51pm On Apr 18, 2016
ozoebuka1:
the funny thing is that we will all gather here and lament as usual and afterwards we will relegate back to supporting our tribes' man that is in power.... a sincere mind knows that our basic problem lies in tribalism I.e supporting people from our tribe even when it's very clear he's committed a crime..... I wonder why we shouldn't advocate that this country be made to function in such a way that tribal prejudice won't be given a chance to play a part.... Why can't all the citizens of Nigeria stand up and advocate for true federalism or better still dissolution of this country?
every sane mind knows that this will propel every region forward but due to lack of confidence some pipo has failed to accept this venture.... "How depressing".... "our" own doesn't really bring the effects "my" own brings yet we've refused to imbibe it in the issues concerning Nigeria... How I wish I have the power but then, what do I know?

Guess they're all waiting for the oil to finish.

Do you really, like really really, like really really really think that, if there was no oil, we'd still be one

They hate you, but won't let you go or be semi autonomous. We calk that "crabs in a bucket" mentality.

When one crab is in an open bucket, it can escape. However, when multiple crabs are in an open bucket, non escape as each crabs pulls the other down. Real talk, watch a YouTube clip.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by ozoebuka1(m): 11:24pm On Apr 18, 2016
kYjelly2:

Guess they're all waiting for the oil to finish.

Do you really, like really really, like really really really think that, if there was no oil, we'd still be one

They hate you, but won't let you go or be semi autonomous. We calk that "crabs in a bucket" mentality.

When one crab is in an open bucket, it can escape. However, when multiple crabs are in an open bucket, non escape as each crabs pulls the other down. Real talk, watch a YouTube clip.

you've actually enlightened me with this crab illustration of yours... thanks.... on the issue of the Nigerian state, I don't really think "oil" is actually the reason for this problem of "we must stick together" rather I think its more of a mental problem! by mental problem I mean confidence. some tribe have the confidence that they'll prosper wen every region is enjoined to cater for itself while others lack this confidence hence the crab illustration u gave above i.e "if-I'm-not-sure-I'll-make-it-alone-then-Let-us-all-stick-together-and-see-if-we-could-make-it-together-in-a-jealous-tribalistic-wicked-painful-way mentality. "

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by DMerciful(m): 11:35pm On Apr 18, 2016
But then its only if you are inherently lazy you'll fear of not succeeding as a region or place. Germany n South Korea has no oil but their hardworking and innovative nature is tremendous and see their progress today. Remember Germany fought 2 world wars and South Korea fought d Korean war .

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by Ariani: 11:43pm On Apr 18, 2016
"if-I'm-not-sure-I'll-make-it-alone-then-Let-us-all-stick-together-and-see-if-we-could-make-it-together-in-a-jealous-tribalistic-wicked-painful-way mentality. "

So aptly put.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by ATERI(m): 12:19am On Apr 19, 2016
Oh yes, Nigeria was great before and would be great again; we just need to get our priorities right

"[b] There is today in Nigeria an entire generation of Nigerian men and women who do not actually know , to borrow Achebe`s words that indeed `there was once a country`. Those children born in a season of austerity and raised during the years that the locusts ate, have become angry citizens. They are angry because they live in a country that makes them feel less worthy. The only Nigeria that they know is a country that makes them feel ashamed of their own origins

How could we have forgotten? How can we possibly forget? That this was once a country where Nigerians felt at home in virtually any part of the country... There was a civil war yes, and things began to change but even after the war it was never this bad
In this same country, the naira used to be at par with the pound and was for many years stronger than the dollar...so strong was the naira that many Nigerians including the lower and the middle class could afford to travel to London on Friday evening, and attend a party in London on Saturday, attend church service on Sunday....and return to Nigeria early enough on Monday morning to be able to go to work. All that was no big deal

Everyone in London knew the Nigerians. There was Nigeria Airways owned and operated by the Nigerian government and it was one of the best airlines in Africa. Its pilots were rated among the best in the world. Its safety record was superb. And it was affordable. It was the pride of the nation. Within the country, Nigeria Airways was also efficient. A trip from Lagos to Calabar in those days was just 44 naira. Students enjoyed rebates too

In this same country, once upon a time, public transportation system was impressive. That may sound like something being made up to the younger generation, but it is nothing but the truth. The railway system worked too, and one of the most prestigious jobs was to be a railway staff. That same Nigerian Railway Corporation that is now a parody of its former self, used to link up the entire country and it helped to build up cities and villages, as the various major train stations became commercial centres.

Once upon a time in this same country, those who sent their children abroad did so majorly out of choice, not necessity, because Nigerian schools were among the best in the continent and the world. Teachers from different parts of the world, the best and the brightest, sought employment in Nigerian schools
In this same country, we used to have industrial estate, in Lagos, Apapa, Ikeja and Isolo were industrial estates. In Kaduna, Jos and Enugu, manufacturing companies created jobs and wealth. We had uncles and aunties who used to do shifts in many factories and this country produces things: from refrigerators to bulbs to vehicles to metals to books to textiles to shoes
Sad: many of those factories have become churches!

In the larger society, the present regime of no water, no fuel, no electricity was unheard of...
There was in fact at a time, the Nigerian Standard and this was the standard that other Africans look up to. This same country dominated the continent, morally, intellectually and culturally. Financially too: so rich was Nigeria that a former Head of State reportedly boasted that our problem was not money but how to spend it " - By Reuben Abati [/b]
Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by ATERI(m): 12:26am On Apr 19, 2016
ozoebuka1:

You mind educating me on how united Ndigbo is in case we decentralize?
Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by ozoebuka1(m): 12:42am On Apr 19, 2016
ATERI:

You mind educating me on how united Ndigbo is in case we decentralize?
are they united now? will they start being united if they stay as Nigerians for a thousand years?.... if an igbo man isn't united in today's Nigeria with his kinsman as u are sarcastically implying through ur question, How much more with a Yoruba or an Hausa. man? staying in Nigeria wouldn't make him start liking any of them....
don't get me wrong ... I love Nigeria very much, but it seems like nothing is working and will ever work .. am just suggesting what might help everyone move forward.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by Emancipation: 12:55am On Apr 19, 2016
Thank you OP for this wonderful thread. On March 7th, 2016, I opened a thread asking the same question and all these hypocrites did was to peep and run. Nigerians are very Fake people. They always run from the truth.

https://www.nairaland.com/2975393/nigeria-great-again

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by Emancipation: 12:58am On Apr 19, 2016
DMerciful:
These days you hear people say 'Nigeria will be great again'...emphasis on AGAIN. Has Nigeria ever been great before? look at just a few occurrence in the past that shows we have never truly achieved greatness.
1.The first republic(Balewa's govt) was overthrown for massive corruption. Politicians were highly corrupt then.
2.Aguiyi Ironsi was overthrown 6 months after becoming head of state in what look like ethnically motivated
3.Gowon's govt was overthrown by Murtala Mohd for failing to meet the expectation of the Nigerian people.
4. Murtala was overthrown and assassinated 6 months after coming to power.
5.Democratically elected govt of Shagari was overthrown by Buhari for corruption
6.Buhari was overthrown for insensitivity of the diversity of the Nigerian state and lack of essential commodities
7. Babangida instituted corruption and suffering through SAP
8.Abacha stole all the money.
9. Obasanjo did fairly well but did not follow due process and rule of law.
10.Yaradua then Turai held the country to ransom.
11. GEJ did not exert himself and allowed stealing and Boko haram manace to thrive.
12. Buhari hit the ground and remained there...

so when has nigeria been great, i honestly want to know.

cc. Lalasticlala
please do the needful for more contribution.

1 million likes. may your days be long.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by ATERI(m): 1:12am On Apr 19, 2016
ozoebuka1:
are they united now? will they start being united if they stay as Nigerians for a thousand years?.... if an igbo man isn't united in today's Nigeria with his kinsman as u are sarcastically implying through ur question, How much more with a Yoruba or an Hausa. man? staying in Nigeria wouldn't make him start liking any of them....
don't get me wrong ... I love Nigeria very much, but it seems like nothing is working and will ever work .. am just suggesting what might help everyone move forward.

The point is, there is no evidence to back up the theory that the South-East would do better than it`s doing now should we decentralize. In other words, lack of decentralization is not affecting Igbo anymore than it`s affecting other regions in Nigeria. Ndigbo have this tendency to bring everything that is wrong with the South-East down to others and I see that as a problem.
I believe the African society needs to adjust and change one or two things before politics can work. A big country has advantages and disadvantages. The Nigeria we have today is not working because a foreign political system is imported into a totally different culture of ours. Separation is not going to change that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by ozoebuka1(m): 1:40am On Apr 19, 2016
ATERI:

The point is, there is no evidence to back up the theory that the South-East would do better than it`s doing now should we decentralize. In other words, lack of decentralization is not affecting Igbo anymore than it`s affecting other regions in Nigeria. Ndigbo have this tendency to bring everything that is wrong with the South-East down to others and I see that as a problem.
I believe the African society needs to adjust and change one or two things before politics can work. A big country has advantages and disadvantages. The Nigeria we have today is not working because a foreign political system is imported into a totally different culture of ours. Separation is not going to change that.
What's going to change it then? I guess these will change it
1. Dogmatizing every Nigerian child that "we are the leaders of tomorrow " when those that told them that said it to the children's fathers 20 years ago?
2. By dogmatizing every Nigerian citizen with the quote "our unity lies in our diversity " when it's vivid to outsiders that monotony is our second name.
3. By telling every Nigerian I see as on social media, streets,. market place and school that "we must come together as one if we really want to move this country forward " as we normally do year in year out as if we've been apart since 1914.....
I can go on and on but truth be told am tired of hearing those things, they are bores and pains to my ears and should be same to anyone that. means well for Nigeria.... Check all the speeches being made by our leaders, all they say bothers on those 3 quotes and the annoying thing is that After saying them, they relax and wait until election day to feast on what they enjoy most Which is tribalism and the cycle continues... I'm tired of false hopes if u ain't yet, that's ur problem.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by Caseless: 4:41am On Apr 19, 2016
Because of our potentials, human resources and resilience.
Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by Nobody: 6:16am On Apr 19, 2016
Caseless:
Because of our potentials, human resources and resilience.

Until we do these things...
1. Kill corruption
2. Stop tribalism
3. Initiate true federalism
4. Always stand by the truth
5. Commit Nigeria to God...

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by chuose: 6:19am On Apr 19, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:
Nigeria was great in their dreams and their deluded minds..

You see, one thing you don't understand is the thought processing of Zombies.

* When their master drank alcohol, they get intoxicated.

* The master eat meat, they handle toothpicks .

* The master dirty his shoes, they cleans it.

* The master ywarns they suffer headache

* The master farts, they celebrate the odor

Nigeria has always been a backward dungeon. .

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by mightyhazel: 6:28am On Apr 19, 2016
Nigeria is just not working,..

And dats d bitter truth!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by ATERI(m): 8:05am On Apr 19, 2016
ozoebuka1:
What's going to change it then? I guess these will change it
1. Dogmatizing every Nigerian child that "we are the leaders of tomorrow " when those that told them that said it to the children's fathers 20 years ago?
2. By dogmatizing every Nigerian citizen with the quote "our unity lies in our diversity " when it's vivid to outsiders that monotony is our second name.
3. By telling every Nigerian I see as on social media, streets,. market place and school that "we must come together as one if we really want to move this country forward " as we normally do year in year out as if we've been apart since 1914.....
I can go on and on but truth be told am tired of hearing those things, they are bores and pains to my ears and should be same to anyone that. means well for Nigeria.... Check all the speeches being made by our leaders, all they say bothers on those 3 quotes and the annoying thing is that After saying them, they relax and wait until election day to feast on what they enjoy most Which is tribalism and the cycle continues... I'm tired of false hopes if u ain't yet, that's ur problem.

Look,regionalism was embraced before in Nigeria, how well did it go? You can take it or leave it, but nothing is stopping any Nigerian state from doing well today, yet at any point in time you hardly find 5 states in our federation doing well. Have you noticed that our people are more united ( especially Igbo and Yoruba ) when they get to the Parliament? Why do you think that is? Everything you wrote here is mere rhetoric, and the fake leaders saying them have characteristics that are incompatible with their wonderful rhetorics.
I have one question for you though: among the Nairalanders you know to have been displaying progressive and detribalized approach to political discussions here on Nairaland, how many of them have you ever invited for dinner?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by Nobody: 8:34am On Apr 19, 2016
I wander if they are prophets to claim such. Nigeria "jaga jaga" according to Eedris abdulkareem

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by DMerciful(m): 11:07am On Apr 19, 2016
Truth is if we solidly decentralize, there will be not much at the centre for people to fight over....everybody will focus on his state.
Re: Why Do People Say Nigeria Will Be Great Again? by DMerciful(m): 11:09am On Apr 19, 2016
Lalasticlala let's know how Nigerians feel about the greatness of Nigeria. Kindly move to front page for more participation. Mynd44 you fit still help grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

DSS Places Travel Ban On Fayose / Edo 2016 Fallout:Oshiomole Revokes Dangote's Waiver Threaten To Cripple Interest / Fayose's Love Affairs With Aisha Exposed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.