Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,837 members, 7,956,162 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:13 AM

Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice (48688 Views)

Enugu Corpers Die On Their Way From Camp To Place Of Primary Assignment (Graphic / I Need Advice On What To Do With My N300k Savings From Allaweee / Corpers' Place Of Primary Assignment In Ogun: Could This Be The Worst PPA Ever? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by VajanahDischaj(f): 1:59pm On Apr 19, 2016
jaelz:
Okay am a 2015 batch b, stream ii corp member serving with a private software company in Lagos, i have been with them for about four months now, the problem are their rules which are :

1.) You work 8-6 everyday
2.) You are not allowed access to internet as a corp member
3.) You can't see the management, as any rule being opposed on you is final and is not subject to review or deliberation by us (i.e the corp members)
4.) You can't leave your seat until break time

All these rules and more I wasn't to comfy with them but was still managing but the problem now is that they just brought another rule which is to cancel our CDS days of which we refused. The H.R then said we should come to the office in the morning to collect a release form and then come back to the office after CDS, i mean who does that? Right now am seriously confused and don't even know what to do again as am scared of raising my voice just to let sleeping dogs lie.

Please i need your candid opinions, options and advice... Please no insults.. Help me get this to front page pls it's really serious.

my guy, this is not right. you are a graduate, you've endured their mess. by right, all corp members are to resume by 8 and close by 4, any job outside that is overtime and you must be paid.

also, going for your CDS is very much mandatory.
I suggest you call your Lagos NYSC secretariat for quick response on 08074067007.

They will quickly do something, I'm very sure. A Corp has every right like a junior or temporary staff.
I will also suggest you get a lawyer if you are not comfortable.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by sbabimbola(f): 2:09pm On Apr 19, 2016
Dear friend.....
you are advised to be careful because it's just for few months more, if you inform NYSC, you'd be considered as being lazy. NYSC scheme wants maximum usage of Corps member's hours.
TRY TO ENDURE FOR THE TIME BEING. serve under the sun or in the rain.
God bless you.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by serendipityF: 2:14pm On Apr 19, 2016
This is the same fate I am facing presently at my own PPA which is a private school, though in my case, they pay very well and the money enter my eyes but at this juncture, I dont care abt the money anymore. U work 7-5 and u are not allowed to go outside d schl til u close like a prison, the proprietress abuse their staffs verbally, psychologically and emotionally. Virtually no day a staff wont shed tears and I am not exaggerating. She pays very well and on time too but mehn! I cant take it anymore. I have reported to my LI and he s saying there s no more reposting but I wont rest till I get reposted. I cannot fit comman die for NYSC so my fellow corp member, to ur LG str8!

2 Likes

Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by onos217(m): 2:17pm On Apr 19, 2016
In the 'ABC' of CDS,it is specifically stated that during CDS days corps members are expected to be in their respective CDS group putting work to projects, and not expected to be in their respective PPA.
Please,take the matter to your LGI or ZI who will be in a better position to explain to them.
Don't let them overwork you.
Enjoy your service!
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by olu4life(m): 2:27pm On Apr 19, 2016
@jaelz, yours is a small encounter to what I experienced. As for the working hours and all, you can't do anything about it except u want to change your PPA.

As for the CDS day, nobody, I repeat nobody has any right to stop your CDS day regardless of asking u to come back. It's a free day for Corp Members. Know your right and work along with it. Approach ur LGI, if he doesn't react, move to ur ZI, and if they appear bribed, kindly draft a letter to the StateState Coordinator. I been there and I experienced worse. The topic is here on NL years ago.

Note: This move is not for the chicken hearted and also all the Corp Members in that firm should come together and fight this. It's a collective effort.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Nobody: 2:30pm On Apr 19, 2016
Mariojane:
there is nothing childish about. it is you knowing your right. your are calling it office rules? this was one of the things Nigerians endure and other rubbish that developed countries that know their rights don't do. like working late and the boss will be claiming it is the right thing to do (those ones collect pay for extra work) not here that the boss threatened with your job and you start shaking. it is wrong and the earlier you know your right the faster it will put in check all nonsense rules and aid our country development. work rules kor, work ofin ni?
if you know your rights, everything will work smoothly

i know someone that his boss sacked cos he refuse leading force men to go fight the community where their community is situated (cos he has friend in that community).
he was sacked and he took the company to court. now the company is paying him 40million naira. know your rights and stop enslaving yourselves
The way it is in Nigeria today, I feel that anything less than mass revolution wony make a dent on the injustice we have going on. You will just end up as a scape goat.

So let him face the real world as set up by politicians.

1 Like

Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by onos217(m): 2:30pm On Apr 19, 2016
serendipityF:
This is the same fate I am facing presently at my own PPA which is a private school, though in my case, they pay very well and the money enter my eyes but at this juncture, I dont care abt the money anymore. U work 7-5 and u are not allowed to go outside d schl til u close like a prison, the proprietress abuse their staffs verbally, psychologically and emotionally. Virtually no day a staff wont shed tears and I am not exaggerating. She pays very well and on time too but mehn! I cant take it anymore. I have reported to my LI and he s saying there s no more reposting but I wont rest till I get reposted. I cannot fit comman die for NYSC so my fellow corp member, to ur LG str8!
What's the name of the school,and the state are you serving because a friend of mine had similar experience?.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 19, 2016
elmisti:

Guy, mention how much u bn paid dat made u endure 4mnths....dnt jst giv us one side of d storylike ur employee is doin no good......
Did you notice he's feeling reluctant to do that.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Drabrah(m): 2:33pm On Apr 19, 2016
redcliff:

8am to 6pm job? what corporate outfit does that? God knows i would hve left long ago...looool.

Not wen u've gat a fat pay Bro!
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by obibanks: 2:38pm On Apr 19, 2016
Oga jaelz, tell us how much they are paying you Cuz it seems that's what's warranting them to confine you to such conditions
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 19, 2016
sbabimbola:
Dear friend.....
you are advised to be careful because it's just for few months more, if you inform NYSC, you'd be considered as being lazy. NYSC scheme wants maximum usage of Corps member's hours.
TRY TO ENDURE FOR THE TIME BEING. serve under the sun or in the rain.
God bless you.
Finally, someone is making sense.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Mariojane(f): 2:44pm On Apr 19, 2016
blueseacats:
The way it is in Nigeria today, I feel that anything less than mass revolution wony make a dent on the injustice we have going on. You will just end up as a scape goat.

So let him face the real world as set up by politicians.
lolz @So let him face the real world as set up by politicians
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 19, 2016
Mariojane:
lolz @So let him face the real world as set up by politicians
Yes o, this is not the fault of the company, in this 21 century globalization where most people in other countries are working while others are sleeping, those that can produce 24 hours or almost will carry the day

But in almost all developed countries companies will always not want to pay you well. That's where the government comes in to protect the workers, but if the government is not even supporting infrastructures to make businesses maximize profit then the employees will suffer.

In Nigeria's strange situation where employees are so reluctant to come out in mass and say enough is enough. They should stop demonizing employers. The national cake is at Abuja , not VI and their likes.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by elmisti(m): 3:04pm On Apr 19, 2016
blueseacats:
Did you notice he's feeling reluctant to do that.

I knw pple like him...I dnt knw wen chnging PPA become so hard, that u av to cry to d public...they only hear abt d money in Lagos but not the work n stress......
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Mariojane(f): 3:05pm On Apr 19, 2016
blueseacats:
Yes o, this is not the fault of the company, in this 21 century globalization where most people in other countries are working while others are sleeping, those that can produce 24 hours or almost will carry the day

But in almost all developed countries companies will always not want to pay you well. That's where the government comes in to protect the workers, but if the government is not even supporting infrastructures to make businesses maximize profit then the employees will suffer.

In Nigeria's strange situation where employees are so reluctant to come out in mass and say enough is enough. They should stop demonizing employers. The national cake is at Abuja , not VI and their likes.
but who will lead the protest for the employees? employers threatened you with the job saying "if you do not do it, others will do even for lower amount". that is my boss anthem for our junior staff. i do tell some of my colleague that if one or two persons start a protest i will gladly join in. it is so unfair.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by elmisti(m): 3:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
serendipityF:

God bless u bro...OP ddnt mention why he stayed for 4mnths...God knws d day my principal uttered d phrase "ordinary corper"....my mind was made up that am leaving.....buh I look @ oda stuffs I enjoy, na so I mellow.......it is pple like OP that Indians will like to employ

1 Like

Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by littlemistress: 3:24pm On Apr 19, 2016
Welcome to Lagos where you work your butt off. Something tells me the coy pays well that's why the O.P is unwilling to do something.. Report the situation to your L.I or endure till September. it's just 5months away.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Nobody: 3:39pm On Apr 19, 2016
Mariojane:
but who will lead the protest for the employees? employers threatened you with the job saying "if you do not do it, others will do even for lower amount". that is my boss anthem for our junior staff. i do tell some of my colleague that if one or two persons start a protest i will gladly join in. it is so unfair.
Nne you better keep your job and don't join in any protest, the only protest worth joining is the one at Abuja, let me give you example, I have a friend who just opened a canteen in a local area, he wanted me to consult for him, so in my free time I always go there to look around and see if there is any contribution I can make.

One evening during rush hour all his three generators packed up and people were demanding cold drinks, he was so frustrated as nepa has not restored light for over a week, just as I was telling him we need to go get as much ice blocks as possible, his two staffs came in and said they have closed for the day, if the driver and one the sales girl is closing for the day whose going to buy ice blocks,

I asked him not to let them go yet until they get the ice blocks, but he said it's their closing time so they can go, he did not know it but I realized that most costumers especially the beer drinkers did not drink more than a bottle each, these are people that could have otherwise taken 4 bottle each if the drinks were cold, now those are lost revenue.

The next day I called him to the side and reminded him why he wanted me as a consultant. 'If you are going to be losing revenues then you are making incompetent as your consultant 'after that day I advised him that his workers should not have a specific closing hour since nepa can withdraw their power anytime and fuel can decide to be scarce anytime.

Today he's still in business, paying staffs and paying them well, he's even working on opening another one.

The moral of my story is that Nigeria is not private business friendly, from getting bank loans to known existing infrastructure, and it's the fault of the politicians. You want to fight? Fight them and leave business men alone .

"Who will bell the cat" we youths, but unfortunately we are too scared to die.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by randomspy(f): 3:58pm On Apr 19, 2016
OLUWOLEYINKA:
Guy I nearly suffer same fate as yours when I served with a civil engineering consulting firm in kaduna. By the time I finish with the CEO he fear me pass His God. Do anything that pleases you. Spend ur normal 8hours at work by 4pm carry your load leave the place. NOTE. Don't report them to NYSC let them go there to report you first. When they summon you tell them everything you aint pleased with going on in the firm. If nothing is done report to state cordinator n if nothing is done tweet DG. M sure my CEO remember me today.
Exactly , the guy is talking like a slave who's legs are tied , Its youth service ,you do whatever you like, nobody can kill you or arrest you , you're only answerable to your local government. Oh I so enjoyed my service year to the fullest , although I served in state secretariat dunno about secondary school folks.

But something isnt right here , the guy should please tell us how much he's being paid cos I'm sure no company will set such strict rules without paying a price, and he should also tell us if he influenced his service posting to the firm(something I'm sure of) or nysc posted him there,cos there's no smoke without fire.

And why are people complaining of 8-6 work hours ? I bet majority of you are unemployed. Its a private company and i'm sure folks who've worked in lagos private firms aint new to such systems, you either agree to terms or take your leave and do a reposting to another ppa.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by stonecoldcafe: 4:07pm On Apr 19, 2016
jaelz:
Okay am a 2015 batch b, stream ii corp member serving with a private software company in Lagos, i have been with them for about four months now, the problem are their rules which are :

3.) You can't see the management, as any rule being opposed on you is final and is not subject to review or deliberation by us (i.e the corp members)

All these rules and more I wasn't to comfy with them but was still managing but the problem now is that they just brought another rule which is to cancel our CDS days of which we refused. The H.R then said we should come to the office in the morning to collect a release form and then come back to the office after CDS, i mean who does that? Right now am seriously confused and don't even know what to do again as am scared of raising my voice just to let sleeping dogs lie.

Please i need your candid opinions, options and advice... Please no insults.. Help me get this to front page pls it's really serious.

You are technically a federal government child. They are not allowed to prevent you from having going for CD because that is a compulsory activity from NYSC. Do you know that you can have some extra months to redo if you continue to miss your CD and your card is not signed.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by toseman(m): 4:46pm On Apr 19, 2016
its really so funny man, my PPA here in Ogunu, warri, delta state is really a cool place to be .
I am served breakfast everyday( just something light, to start your day with), am not freaked by it though but i appreciate it
My CDS days na fridays, am allowed to go.
And my monthly payment is constant...no complaints so far...
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Cityguy: 4:49pm On Apr 19, 2016
Ebay14:
Hmmm.. We suffered almost the same thing during my service year in NIMC office benin.. We were not permitted to go for cds the first month we started and we worked liked staff 8:00am till whenever the last client leaves d office even it's 7pm. We were even compelled to work on Saturday at the beginning.. But thank God we all came together and confronted the management.. Although this caused a lot of issues btw us and the management at last it was resolved.. We had to involve our LI and NYSC state coordinator.. I bliv u can take the matter to your coordinators too.. NYSC has the power to stop that.
I'll suggest you go with this advice. It's very good. May God help you.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by xolomite(m): 5:01pm On Apr 19, 2016
No company or firm dose that. CDS DAY is alway a day off for corpers.....you ate not their employee you are only ansetable to FG. relate the issue with your supervising officer......
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by ernieboy(m): 5:06pm On Apr 19, 2016
gist4kidsblog:
okay

To serve Nigeria is not by force okay......

Try Ghost corper it make sense like kilode

#Irepghostcorper...

koni dafu iyalaye eni company infact na me dey even settle dem for my PPA grin grin grin
Bad guy.
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Uzch89(m): 5:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
Akposkool:
No offense but I think you are one of those persons that influence their postings to Lagos. Look nysc is a call to service and not for fun. If you want to enjoy service please serve in a school and if possibly a rural area. In school you will have chance to do other things. Heck you can even travel during holiday. Oga you should have gone to a class room or better still manage their rules Cus these companies face competition from outside so they must work you hard. Only thing am against is the cds case. That's your right. Please be strong my brother Cus that company is preparing you for your future. If you can survive there then you can survive anywhere.

Lol. I served in NAFDAC,and I was free... Very Free..if I I'm ordered to serve again, I still won't teach
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Kbraims(m): 6:01pm On Apr 19, 2016
let dem to giv u rejectn letter...am sure a lot of government sch ar out dia to accept u
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by fabolousneyo: 6:03pm On Apr 19, 2016
Corper, just complain to your LI and tell him/her to repost u elsewhere!! perhaps u can tell the company to give ur rejection letter! shikena
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Kakamorufu(m): 6:22pm On Apr 19, 2016
jaelz:

you are being used as a slave there
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by JohnieWalker(m): 6:41pm On Apr 19, 2016
eHydrated:
Fulani herdsmen no dey around dat area ni? Invite dem to your PPA for heart to heart discussion with your employer grin
yu are crazy yu know
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by Crysallis(m): 9:11pm On Apr 19, 2016
The OP is being treated like a staff. Its obvious that he is well paid and is only complaining because of the decline in his social life.

The only thing i wont accept is the fact that his PPA is preventing him from attending CDS ( a private firm has little or no regards for CDS)

If the OP isnt comfortable with the situation, he can talk to his LI so he can be reposted to a place with much freedom.

1 Like

Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by DarryOsh(m): 9:55pm On Apr 19, 2016
pomide:

AT LEAST YOU SHOULD HAVE ACKNOWLEDGE BEN CARSON...

Earlier, someone wrote this:
boardmem:
Hnm, Ben Carson Ideology at work. Am fond of using d analysis too and it works 4 me.

And i replied with this:
DarryOsh:

Yeah, thanks for reminding me. You know, I couldn't remember where I learned it until you reminded me. smiley
Re: Having Problems At My Place Of PPA Please I Need Advice by laginks: 9:45am On Apr 20, 2016
my dear, some times, we cant really explain why we go through certain things in life... but i tell you that it all goes to form and make us who we are (positive or negative), it all depends on our approach to it.
my candid advixce is for you to just comply... you have less than 8months to go... who knows if it is part of their criteria to retain corpers after service.. personally, i dont see such rules as too much to bear....
God bless you..
jaelz:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Two Serving Corpers Wed In Abia State (Photos) / A Nairalander Wins NYSC Mr Macho 2021 In Zamfara State (Photos) / Youth Corper Clings To A Tricycle To Cut His Transportation Cost (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.