Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Who's Chanting War Songs? Iraqi Families Sell Organs Out Of Poverty - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Who's Chanting War Songs? Iraqi Families Sell Organs Out Of Poverty (474 Views)

Las Vegas Shooting, Families Of Those Killed To Get ₦100m Each(Photo) / US Orders Families Of Embassy Personnel Out Of Gambia / Pics: Russian Plane Arrives U.S. To Evacuate 35 Expelled Diplomats & Families. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who's Chanting War Songs? Iraqi Families Sell Organs Out Of Poverty by engrfaruq(m): 4:26am On Apr 22, 2016
Om Hussein is a mother close to breaking point. Along with her husband and their four young children, she is struggling with poverty like millions of other Iraqis.
Her husband, Ali, is unemployed. He is diabetic and has heart problems. She has been the breadwinner for the past nine years, eking out a living as a housemaid. But she is now exhausted, and can no longer work.
"I am tired and we cannot make any money to pay for the rent, medicine, children's needs and food," Ms Hussein said at the family's temporary one bedroom home in eastern Baghdad.
Their dilapidated house collapsed a few months ago, and they have survived thanks to the help of friends and relatives.
Her husband said I worked at everything you could think of. As a butcher, a day labourer, a rubbish collector. I would not ask for money, but they would give it to us. I would not ask for food.
Grinding poverty has made the trafficking of kidneys and other organs a phenomenon in Baghdad.
About 22.5% of Iraq's population of nearly 30 million people live in abject poverty, according to World Bank statistics from 2014. Gangs, offering up to $10,000 (£7,000) for a kidney, have increasingly targeted the country's poor, making it a new hub for the organ trade across the Middle East.
"The phenomenon is so widespread that authorities are not capable of fighting it," said Firas al-Bayati, a human rights lawyer. "I have personally dealt over the past three months with 12 people who were arrested for selling their kidneys. And poverty was the reason behind their acts," he said.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36083800
Re: Who's Chanting War Songs? Iraqi Families Sell Organs Out Of Poverty by joshing(m): 4:31am On Apr 22, 2016
chisos poverty bad o
Re: Who's Chanting War Songs? Iraqi Families Sell Organs Out Of Poverty by tit(f): 4:43am On Apr 22, 2016
Fulani are not making noise.
they just caught off heads

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News:iraqi Shia Protesters Storm Iraqi Parliament / Donald Trump Wins Hilary Clinton 45% To 42% In New Fox TV National Poll / Democrats Are Now The Aggressive War Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.