Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,870 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). (3118 Views)

Itel Partners With Slot For Exclusive Sales Of Its 1st 2gb Ram And 4g Lte Device / I Have 50k, What Phone Can I Buy With It? (good Battery, Ram And 4G) / Meaning Of "G, E, 3g, H, H+ And 4g" On Your Mobile Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by excel111(m): 12:01am On Apr 25, 2016
While conversing with a friend I was asked the differences between GPRS, EDGE and 3G, decided to share my little knowledge about the topic in case you might be confused about it too.

Before advancing, it should be known that 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G etc refers to the different generations of wireless communication technology characterized by having a defined range of speed.

GPRS(General Packet Radio Service)
GPRS is a packet-based* wireless communication service. It is a 2G technology network that support a download speed of up to 114Kbps.
Limitation of GPRS is that GPRS data cannot be sent while a voice call is in progress.

EDGE(Enhanced Data GSM Evolution)
GPRS and EDGE are both 2G technology but EDGE is significantly faster with a download speed of up to 384Kbps. EDGE is sometimes called a 2.5G network as it also has some characteristics of a 3G network but it doesn't satisfy the specification.

3G
Introduction of 3G network made video calling and seamless streaming of video possible, with download speed of up to 3.1Mbps.

HSDPA(High-Speed Down-link Packet Access)
It is based on the 3G network and an enhancement to 3G. Thus has a faster speed, download speed can be up to 14Mbps. HSDPA is sometimes called 3.5G.

HSPA+(Evolved High-Speed Packet Access)
HSPA+ is an evolution HSPA(HSDPA&HSUPA). It is a 4G technology that allows download at a rate of up to 168Mbps.

4G LTE(Long Term Evolution)
LTE is a 4G communication standard that supports HD video streaming, download speed as high as 299.6Mbps.

Summary
GPRS(114Kbps) < EGDE(368Kbps) < 3G(3.1Mbps) < HSDPA(14Mbps) < HSPA+(168Mbps) < 4G/LTE(299.6Mbps)

By the way, I posted this using a EDGE connection.

*Packet-based means data is broken into packets before being transmitted.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by teelaw4life(m): 1:11am On Apr 25, 2016
Nice...by the way i'm replying with Edge seeing as glo is a b**ch network.
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by donmarvex1(m): 3:15am On Apr 25, 2016
This might not make FP

But sha I replied with 3.5G grin
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by dhardline(m): 4:33am On Apr 25, 2016
If HSPA+ can download with speed as high as 168Mbps and it takes as long 2-3minute to download a

10mb video when using H+ then its either my phone is broken or Etisalat is broken.
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by Efisko1(m): 4:37am On Apr 25, 2016
I tek my pochision!!!!
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by druxy(m): 5:40am On Apr 25, 2016
how person go differentiate hsdpa and hspa+ na..posting with airtel edge anyway...
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by tinnymerit(m): 6:13am On Apr 25, 2016
most info are wrong LTe cant go more than 52 at its peak speed
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by Nobody: 6:21am On Apr 25, 2016
dhardline:
If HSPA+ can download with speed as high as 168Mbps and it takes as long 2-3minute to download a

10mb video when using H+ then its either my phone is broken or Etisalat is broken.
etisalat is bad in your area, am using etisalat and it downloads at the speed of 96Mbps at minimum
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by bcardastro: 6:24am On Apr 25, 2016
don't be decieved people,LTE is no better than 3g+,if u need 4g ,go get 4g
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by okhiai1(m): 6:49am On Apr 25, 2016
Replaying with edge though:cc seun
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by MilesLamar(m): 7:04am On Apr 25, 2016
Lala oya do what u get paid for angry
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by M17CXi: 7:05am On Apr 25, 2016
And My highest speed WCDMA was 2MB/s
With Mtn ss back then,
As i see here its fall in between 3G but less

Anyway non of this will actually get its manufactured speed
At least not for a very long time in Naija
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by adeememman(m): 9:41am On Apr 25, 2016
This looks good on paper but i doubt if anyone has fully utilized this speed in Nigeria.
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by DatechMan(m): 10:10am On Apr 25, 2016
I really appreciate the Op for trying to do some demystification.
In as much as I would not like to contend the figures, though not free from errors. I would like to make some corrections.

HSPA+ is not 4G. It's 3G or call it 3.5G if you want. (Some cheap Chinese phones can't differentiate grin)
UMTS and HSDPA are baseline 3G.

LTE and WiMax are the only true 4G systems according to standards.

Also note that although these technologies have their theoretical limits in terms of bandwidth. A typical installation in Nigeria is a far cry off.

Some 2G networks are faster than some crappy 3G networks. Don't ask me why ask their engineers.

Anyways
#GodBlessNigeria

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 25, 2016
Rocking my nokia asha 200...i dont even know what it makes use of..... Covers face!!
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by PoundspassDolla(m): 10:42am On Apr 25, 2016
excel111:
While conversing with a friend I was asked the differences between GPRS, EDGE and 3G, decided to share my little knowledge about the topic in case you might be confused about it too.

Before advancing, it should be known that 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G etc refers to the different generations of wireless communication technology characterized by having a defined range of speed.

GPRS is a packet-based* wireless communication service. It is a 2G technology network that support a download speed of up to 114Kbps.
Limitation of GPRS is that GPRS data cannot be sent while a voice call is in progress.

GPRS and EDGE are both 2G technology but EDGE is significantly faster with a download speed of up to 384Kbps. EDGE is sometimes called a 2.5G network as it also has some characteristics of a 3G network but it doesn't satisfy the specification.

3G
Introduction of 3G network made video calling and seamless streaming of video possible, with download speed of up to 3.1Mbps.

It is based on the 3G network and an enhancement to 3G. Thus has a faster speed, download speed can be up to 14Mbps. HSDPA is sometimes called 3.5G.

HSPA+ is an evolution HSPA(HSDPA&HSUPA). It is a 4G technology that allows download at a rate of up to 168Mbps.

LTE is a 4G communication standard that supports HD video streaming, download speed as high as 299.6Mbps.

Summary
GPRS(114Kbps) < EGDE(368Kbps) < 3G(3.1Mbps) < HSDPA(14Mbps) < HSPA+(168Mbps) < 4G/LTE(299.6Mbps)

good exposure.......... But which one H+ wey dey appear for my screen grin grin grin
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by joseph214(m): 10:48am On Apr 25, 2016
I have seen this post before somewhere 2013.
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by AwesomeRomeo: 11:31am On Apr 25, 2016
OP I hope this is not in naija because there's no location in naija that you can get download speed up to 114kbps with GPRS network and 384kbps with an EDGE network. In my area with MTN network (MTN has no 3G network in my area and is the second network in the area been there since 2006) I don't get up to 10kbps. Airtel has HSPA+ but the highest speed I can get is 150kbps. Etisalat (EDGE and GPRS, no 3G) the highest speed I can get is 25kbps undecided undecided undecided
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by jimino(m): 11:52am On Apr 25, 2016
thank you
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by Chillinmasoul(m): 11:53am On Apr 25, 2016
excel111:
3G
Summary

HSPA+ should be what we call 3.75G, right?
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by balaclava: 12:06pm On Apr 25, 2016
Wow

Great information

Sent into my inbox

Appreciate

I.T
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by JhimmySpark(m): 12:21pm On Apr 25, 2016
Informative and enlightening....God bless u op
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by boujaye: 1:29pm On Apr 25, 2016
thx for educating
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by henryobinna(m): 1:39pm On Apr 25, 2016
the fact that HSDPA+ supports a download speed of upto 168mb per seconds does not mean you'll get exactly that speed or even half of it.

the reason you get lower speed or think your network is ripping of is because you forget to note that there's device limitation, most 3G/H/H+ modems out there have a maximum speed of 7.2mb per seconds, that being said, even if your network offers 1G per seconds with that modem of 7.2mb per seconds you'll never get past 7.2mb(actually, you won't even get the 7.2mb)

same situation with mobile and smart phones too.

and another effect is over load of users, too many users accessing the internet through a facility that's not enough.

there are so many co considerations check before concluding about the speed of your ISP.
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by kudoxs(m): 1:46pm On Apr 25, 2016
dhardline:

Nigeria is a fraud. Most of these network providers are just deceiving us with H+ n 4glte

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by Clarinett(m): 1:46pm On Apr 25, 2016
Enroute Front Page.
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by xcitedjay(m): 2:07pm On Apr 25, 2016
@excel111

Why steal someone else's write up and post as yours?

This is something I've written as far back as 2012 and you just copy and paste as yours with no credit what so ever to the original author.

Nawa oh!!!! shocked
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by harmbhrosz(m): 2:23pm On Apr 25, 2016
Crook
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by AwesomeRomeo: 2:31pm On Apr 25, 2016
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by Alkanoicacid(m): 2:54pm On Apr 25, 2016
excel111:

3G

Summary

Na edge me self dey take read your post o.
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by dynamo77(m): 6:24pm On Apr 25, 2016
The network is very terrible... You can't enjoy a 3G network without your phone heating up talk of 4G

Our service providers are criminals
Re: What You Need To Know About: Gprs, Edge, 3g, Hsdpa, Hspa+ And 4g (LTE). by Nobody: 7:40pm On Apr 25, 2016
op check mine, which packet data am using?

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Have Actually Been Charging Your Smartphone The Wrong Way / Iphone 11 Or Samsung S20 Ultra .. Which Would You Go For / Mtn 30gb For N3,500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.