Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times (8880 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by carboyfriend: 11:43am On Apr 25, 2016
Our country Nigeria is going through a recession due to the drop in price of crude oil in the international market.

Companies are downsizing, the exchange rate is going higher, the individual purchasing power is reducing. Cost of funds is also going higher. We are left with no choice other than making sure we cut down on our expenses and make as much savings as we can.

So, how do we make our car serve us better and how can we save on our car maintenance this austere period?

First of all we have to make sure we do basic routine checks on our vehicle at least once a week or every other day depending on how old the car is. This checks are;
Check engine oil level. If you notice a reduction in oil level over time, check for oil on the floor where your normally park and also get a mechanic to look around the engine for leakages. Make sure you rectify where the leakage is coming from.
Check transmission fluid. The transmission system is a closed system. If you notice any drop in the level of the fluid, that means there is leakage in the system. Make sure you get a mechanic to check and rectify the fault.
Check brake fluid. When the level of of the brake fluid goes down, it shows that the brake pads are wearing out gradually. If the brake feels funny at the pedal or the brake fluid goes low suddenly, then there is a leakage in the brake system. Have this checked and rectified.
Radiator water should also be checked regularly. Usually the plastic water reservoir connected to the radiator should be filled to the specified level. Make sure it is not overfilled and it doesn't dry out. Also make sure you replace cap.
Check power steering fluid. This is also a closed system. If there is a drop in the level of the fluid, there is a leakage in the system and it should be checked and rectified.
Just as you have the vital signs of the body system, these are the vital fluids of your car. If any of it should dry up due to the fact that you don't check as often as you should or because of a leakage in the system, your car will not only come to a halt, but also there will be mechanical damage which will cost you a lot of money to rectify.

Make sure you make out time to check and observe all these fluids.

My next post will be on regular maintenance you should do on your vehicles and the interval they should be done.

Comments will be appreciated

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by Sharksblow(m): 11:59am On Apr 25, 2016
thanks bro..... this is necessary as this cost me a new engine last week as the former one knocked. The fan was not working and I didn't notice.... was driving a long distance and did not notice the heat meter.... I stopped after smoke started coming out of my engine....it was too late. cry

2 Likes

Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by carboyfriend: 6:01pm On Apr 25, 2016
Sorry about this.
It could happen to anybody.
Most car drivers don't check what their car guages are reading while driving.
When the car cooolant temperature rises, a lot of us don't notice till someone alerts us that our car is 'smoking' or the car stops, that is when we realise our car is overheating.
If we are unlucky, our engine's gasket or engine would have been damaged.
We should not only be mindfull of our fuel guage reading. Other readings matters too.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by jazinogold(m): 6:39am On Apr 26, 2016
cry
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by penzino(m): 6:40am On Apr 26, 2016
The Car wey I don Park since abi which one

Carboyfriend if na only gasket burn, consider yourself lucky. There are situations where your con rod bearings melt in turn damaging your crankshaft.

Trust me, better a burnt gasket.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by moscobabs(m): 6:41am On Apr 26, 2016
thank u op I beg is there anything I can do to reduce my car fuel consumption? its Nissan Quest 2000 V6.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by sammylove22(m): 6:48am On Apr 26, 2016
Well done. Can you please educate me where to locate all this fluids in Camry 2.2? Please am waiting
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by hucienda: 6:53am On Apr 26, 2016
Good one, carboyfriend. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by VitaminB12(m): 7:05am On Apr 26, 2016
This is the problem am facing now. My gear oil went low and I didn't notice that. Last night the gear stick went soft and free, no friction. Worse still, the gears were not selecting.

Moreover when it happened last night my neighbour helped me with brake transmission fluid into the gear oil tank. He said it does the same function. Unfortunately, it didn't save the situation. Please how true is this?

I have asked my mechanic to come with gear oil to service it. I pray nothing else would be affected.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by Nobody: 7:20am On Apr 26, 2016
VitaminB12:
This is the problem am facing now. My gear oil went low and I didn't notice that. Last night the gear stick went soft and free, no friction. Worse still, the gears were not selecting.

Moreover when it happened last night my neighbour helped me with brake transmission fluid into the gear oil tank. He said it does the same function. Unfortunately, it didn't save the situation. Please how true is this?

I have asked my mechanic to come with gear oil to service it. I pray nothing else would be affected.

How the hell can you ad brake oil into your gear' oil tank?!!!!!!!!!!! Who does that!?
What the hell
Just buy a new gear box and flush the system!!
Good luck

1 Like

Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by wagazala: 7:28am On Apr 26, 2016
VitaminB12:

Brake oil into gear?? shocked That your neighbor sef.. lipsrsealed

You can attempt to flush the gear and hope it works. Do not attempt to repair it if flushing fails, just change the gear box.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by gunther6(m): 7:31am On Apr 26, 2016
VitaminB12:

Brake oil shocked ... Your gearbox is toast...
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by Phoenix001(m): 7:38am On Apr 26, 2016
Nice post
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by nairaman66(m): 7:42am On Apr 26, 2016
Plenty problems!!
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by Mishydoo(m): 8:38am On Apr 26, 2016
VitaminB12:

Oluku...Add Red oil to counterbalance the effect

2 Likes

Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by pair36(m): 8:44am On Apr 26, 2016
Break oil for gearbox!!!!!!! Jezuz grin grin grin grin
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by Demrich(m): 8:55am On Apr 26, 2016
VitaminB12:

nothing like brake transmission fluid rather it could be that he added the power steering fluid which is an ATF. Pls cross check!
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by eagleonearth(m): 9:56am On Apr 26, 2016
VitaminB12:

that your neighbour is wicked oo. brake fluid is not a lubricant. I pray u don't have to purchase another gear.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 26, 2016
Mishydoo:

Or something more viscous..... tomato paste angry angry
Make ee for no dey move around freely. undecided
His neighbour is truly a good samaritan grin grin
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by Rajalat: 2:18pm On Apr 26, 2016
Please my camry 2.2 V6 how long can it be used before changing gear oil cos its over 2years now and have not change it and what is the recommended gear oil to buy when changing it..and I have a leak under the car but it looks its the break oil what can cause that..

1 Like

Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by Mishydoo(m): 2:56pm On Apr 26, 2016
mykl01:

Or something more viscous..... tomato paste angry angry
Make ee for no dey move around freely. undecided
His neighbour is truly a good samaritan grin grin

lol...bad guy grin
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by luvinhubby(m): 3:27pm On Apr 26, 2016
VitaminB12:

Start by stating your car model, year & engine capacity.

Get the car scanned, get the manufacturer recommended transmission fluid & do a repeated flush on gear & drive again.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by omamokta: 6:33pm On Apr 26, 2016
Demrich:
nothing like brake transmission fluid rather it could be that he added the power steering fluid which is an ATF. Pls cross check!
No, there is brake transmission oil known as hydraulic oil.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by VitaminB12(m): 6:58pm On Apr 26, 2016
Mishydoo:

The way you guys insult people you have never met before, had any discussion or interaction before amazes me. Am so shocked....Thanks anyway
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by VitaminB12(m): 7:06pm On Apr 26, 2016
luvinhubby:

Start by stating your car model, year & engine capacity.

Get the car scanned, get the manufacturer recommended transmission fluid & do a repeated flush on gear & drive again.
RX300 2001, my mechanic said I have to change the 'van/vam body' of the gear, that its faulty. That it costs 30k while I learnt from a dealer that it is 10k
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by VitaminB12(m): 8:39pm On Apr 26, 2016
gunther6:

Brake oil shocked ... Your gearbox is toast...
My bad..i just found out from him that it was rather Hydraulic fluid that he poured in.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by cardoctor(m): 9:10am On Apr 27, 2016
Your car should be checked properly always regardless of how the financial economy stands. Waiting for austere times to be more careful doesn't make economic sense.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by carboyfriend: 5:14pm On Apr 27, 2016
penzino:
The Car wey I don Park since abi which one

Carboyfriend if na only gasket burn, consider yourself lucky. There are situations where your con rod bearings melt in turn damaging your crankshaft.

Trust me, better a burnt gasket.

Thats a really bad one.

Hope you are saving to buy another engine?

All the best.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by carboyfriend: 5:23pm On Apr 27, 2016
sammylove22:
Well done. Can you please educate me where to locate all this fluids in Camry 2.2? Please am waiting

Hi.

You need to ask your mechanic to show you the exact location of the dip stick for your engine oil and transmission fluid.

He should also show you the location of other things you need to check regularly.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by carboyfriend: 5:24pm On Apr 27, 2016
sammylove22:

Hi.

You need to ask your mechanic to show you the exact location of the dip stick for your engine oil and transmission fluid.

He should also show you the location of other things you need to check and top-up regularly.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by carboyfriend: 5:31pm On Apr 27, 2016
moscobabs:
thank u op I beg is there anything I can do to reduce my car fuel consumption? its Nissan Quest 2000 V6.

Hi.
Is your check engine light on?
If it is, you will need to run a scan. Your oxygen sensors may be faulty.
Re: Maintenanace Tips This Austere Times by carboyfriend: 5:33pm On Apr 27, 2016
Phoenix001:
Nice post

Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Opel Omega 2.0 Review / Please I Want To Buy One Of This Space Bus "Toyota Sienna Or Picnic" Pls I Need / Pimping My 2007 Camry SE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.