Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,171 members, 7,811,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} (54761 Views)

A U-shaped Building In Zhengzhou, Central China / Binatone Air Coolant With Remote For Sale And Ac / Distress Sales Of 2 Plot Of Land At Oniru Central, Lekki, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by lilreese: 2:41am On Apr 27, 2016
centvin008:
Multi split system is the only solution for me
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by 19naia(m): 2:45am On Apr 27, 2016
Central AC has nothing to do with the AC units. It has to do with installing the duct passages to deliver it across the entire building.
Any common window or split AC can be fitted to duct passages to deliver the cool air wherever needed.
Each room can be individually controlled by the duct vent which can be closed or opened.
Central AC is most efficient for cooling an entire building and the largest buildings. Its not as efficient for small buildings or a single small room.
The buildings in those pictures can actually be centrally cooled with less units and less power consumption if they used central AC.
But it would create complications if the electric bill is not shared or included in the rent or common dues. Also Nigeria's unstable power supply requires generator cost to be shared.
Central AC is better but more expensive to install and maintain. Also central air doesn't have the sound in the house because the blower is usually stored in utility areas undergorund or in an isolated area.
Nigerian houses dont have underground areas or isolated utility rooms for Heating and Cooling machines. So Central air would require a bulky and loud blower inside the house.
The AC units in the photo are nice but they have cluttered the building in a way that central AC would not.

2 Likes

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by YarAdua1(m): 4:49am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Central HVAC is less efficient.

Even here in California, the higher end homes are going to split system though some are linked.

mmmm...I don't know what part of California you live, but business and new homes use central air, split air units are generally found in cheap motels like motel 6, Days inn or very old homes/hostels/studios (pretty much small spaces, where it won't be logical to install central air). It costs a little more in incorporating an HVAC system in a home, but its way more cost effective and energy efficient downstream.

2 Likes

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 4:55am On Apr 27, 2016
YarAdua1:

mmmm...I don't know what part of California you live, but business and new homes use central air, split air units are generally found in cheap motels like motel 6, Days inn or very old homes/hostels/studios (pretty much small spaces, where it won't be logical to install central air). It costs a little more in incorporating an HVAC system in a home, but its way more cost effective and energy efficient downstream.

It doesn't matter what part of California that I'm in. Simply state your own opinion.

Like I said higher end homes are moving to split system.

Split system costs way more than CAC so the integration is not yet main stream. Next time you go to Home Depot or Lowes, take a few minutes to talk to the Salesmen that are selling HVAC system.

I have CAC now but will be installing Split in my home in Nigeria.

I also stayed at The Ritz Carlton in Buckhead, Georgia a couple months ago (~ $500 per night) and guess what it didn't have CAC but split system.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 5:27am On Apr 27, 2016
Maybe na your Okada dem go use power central AC...until power becomes regular in Nigeria, even split AC is still a luxury than a necessity...

2 Likes

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 5:32am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

It doesn't matter what part of California that I'm in. Simply state your own opinion.

Like I said higher end homes are moving to split system.

Split system costs way more than CAC so the integration is not yet main stream. Next time you go to Home Depot or Lowes, take a few minutes to talk to the Salesmen that are selling HVAC system.

I have CAC now but will be installing Split in my home in Nigeria.

I also stayed at The Ritz Carlton in Buckhead, Georgia a couple months ago (~ $500 per night) and guess what it didn't have CAC but split system.
Bros I live in LA and most businesses I see out here have CAC...the only businesses with split ACs are VERY small, sole ownership, one stall concerns and low rent apartments.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 5:39am On Apr 27, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
Bros I live in LA and most businesses I see out here have CAC...the only businesses with split ACs are VERY small, sole ownership, one stall concerns and low rent apartments.

EgunMogaji:
Central HVAC is less efficient.

Even here in California, the higher end homes are going to split system though some are linked.

I specifically said higher end homes and you keep on harping about low rent apartments and one stall concerns
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 5:45am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I specifically said higher end homes and you keep on harping about low rent apartments and one stall concerns
my point exactly, most high end homes have CACs...only low rent apartments go for split. You claim split is more efficient the data does not support your assertion.

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by mfm04622: 5:45am On Apr 27, 2016
The initial cost is big! The central A/C in the head office of the organisation I work cost 6 billions to replace. Then you need to maintain. Then you need power (big generators) to power it. Then whenever it is faulty, all the building will be hot!
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 5:49am On Apr 27, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
my point exactly, most high end homes have CACs...only low rent apartments go for split. You claim split is more efficient the data does not support your assertion.

Other than blindly arguing you have made no reasonable claim. I still don't know what your argument is.

http://www.servicechampions.net/blog/the-best-types-of-home-heating-systems-for-northern-california-homes/

" Ductless mini-split systems

Another efficient home heating option is the ductless mini-split system. These types of heating systems are just gaining popularity in California and the U.S. as a whole, but have been used in homes and apartments in Europe for decades.

They work much like the traditional furnace and air conditioning combo: There’s an indoor unit and an outdoor unit. But the system requires no ductwork. This makes a ductless mini-split a perfect option for heating additional rooms that would be difficult to run ducts to.

The absence of ductwork also means there’s no heat loss from leaking ducts ."

This is just one sample from the internet.

I was in at least 5 model homes this weekend and ALL of them were split system based. But of course they are not low rent hotels and apartments.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by NigerianScholar: 6:13am On Apr 27, 2016
H
domack99:
Why is it that our Engineers don't design a central Air conditioning systems in our high rise buildings. Is it that they are not cost effective or difficult to maintain?
. Maybe d accumulated price of all split acs in a place is cheaper. But I know the initial price of a central cooling unit will be very high. And d installation wahala running piped and so on. People dont want wahala
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Mayflowa(m): 6:19am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

No you can't.

You can! Just that the supply energy needed to power it from the source won't be affected.

Central ac is most efficient when you both need heating and cooling. The initial cost is high and part replacement is costly.

You know, Western world spend so much building their houses. Our houses are simply constructed, yet there are shortage of housing here.

2 Likes

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:26am On Apr 27, 2016
semitunde:

Bro. Those cooling systems are probably due for change. Though durable HVAC (Central AC) systems last for a much as 30 or more years; the maintenance and spare parts needed ( if the product is shipped from abroad) might become a problem.

@op the client determines (finally) if a building is going to have central AC or not.

HVAC systems have high initial financial outlay, but over time, compared to split ACs, their mmaintenance are more cost effective. Many clients however like to cut costs hence the choice for splits.

Hope you know the new senate building has been reverted to split AC system. Cost cutting measures.
The Senate Building being used doesn't have central ac either, just like other offices. But does the building of a new Senate Building not amount to waste of fund since there is an existing one with an extention?
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Tellemall: 6:32am On Apr 27, 2016
Dollyak:
Central cooli system for that kind of building is load intensive. So how are you going to power it with ordinary generators you guys use in Nigeria?

It's too bad Nigeria doesn't have gas. Central heating is only efficient in countries with industries and conservation methods. Nigeria lacks those.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Reference(m): 6:33am On Apr 27, 2016
Xtopher123:
It depends on what The client wants, it's more expensive tho install and more expensive to maintain..

Mind you it's most effective, especially in high rise/Mixed use building

For those saying individual room temperature cannot be achieved is a pure lie, each room can be zoned to operate on a different temperature
------------_----------
You don't design what a client cannot afford.. No thats a flop

Most Nigerian clients want it the normal way, they want the best but don't wanna spend the Cash..

Architecture/Engineering is a client that has money with an Engineer/Architect with vision

Then why not design a central conditioning system that the client can afford. Is that not proper 'architecture/engineering'. But the fact is that our people allow Samsung and LG decide how our homes are designed, engineered and operated. Who says both needs can't be met.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 6:39am On Apr 27, 2016
Mayflowa:

You can! Just that the supply energy needed to power it from the source won't be affected.

Central ac is most efficient when you both need heating and cooling. The initial cost is high and part replacement is costly.

You know, Western world spend so much building their houses. Our houses are simply constructed, yet there are shortage of housing here.

You can zone a residential CAC system?

Please provide direct proof of your claim.

Again, you can't zone a CAC in a residential use.

You guys are confusing the system that is used in offices where there are different thermostat all over the place.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Xtopher123(m): 6:42am On Apr 27, 2016
Reference:

Then why not design a central conditioning system that the client can afford. Is that not proper 'architecture/engineering'. But the fact is that our people allow Samsung and LG decide how our homes are designed, engineered and operated. Who says both needs can't be met.

The client has to acknowledge he would pay for whatever you designed, most Architects/Engineers Include that in their Specification, but the client and contractors wade if off and term it as being 'Expensive'.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by WhiskeyTangoFox: 7:01am On Apr 27, 2016
msogunro:
Hahahahahahaha!!!! One of the outdoor units is covering a window. Hilarious. How is it even secured. They should invest in a multi split system.

With central a/c units, you cool/heat an entire house when you only need the room you're in conditioned.

Splits are more effecient because you can cool just the zone that you're in.

Please, dnt go speculating.There are fixed controls in each zone dat controls the inflow of air through the vents, and also the temperature too. Ensuring users have total control of which zones de want to cool or not. I think the major problem is in maintenance. Unlike splits, if there's an issue with the central unit, then all zones will b affected without any isolation.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Seunolad1(m): 7:17am On Apr 27, 2016
BE811APP:
Our architects are not innovative...No offense to dos in d proffession but its true

Why do u think Builders do a better Job on site and when I say Builders I mean those that didnt go to skol oo..
shut up, next time consult and do your research very well before commenting.

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by kfrosh: 7:19am On Apr 27, 2016
You can always control the cooling system of each room using HVAC, that is what is been used in every sky scrapper in Dubai and it's very effective. I guess Nigeria is yet to step up its game.
msogunro:
Hahahahahahaha!!!! One of the outdoor units is covering a window. Hilarious. How is it even secured. They should invest in a multi split system.

With central a/c units, you cool/heat an entire house when you only need the room you're in conditioned.

Splits are more effecient because you can cool just the zone that you're in.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by LordNapier(m): 7:20am On Apr 27, 2016
19naia:
Central AC has nothing to do with the AC units. It has to do with installing the duct passages to deliver it across the entire building.
Any common window or split AC can be fitted to duct passages to deliver the cool air wherever needed.
Each room can be individually controlled by the duct vent which can be closed or opened.
Central AC is most efficient for cooling an entire building and the largest buildings. Its not as efficient for small buildings or a single small room.
The buildings in those pictures can actually be centrally cooled with less units and less power consumption if they used central AC.
But it would create complications if the electric bill is not shared or included in the rent or common dues. Also Nigeria's unstable power supply requires generator cost to be shared.
Central AC is better but more expensive to install and maintain. Also central air doesn't have the sound in the house because the blower is usually stored in utility areas undergorund or in an isolated area.
Nigerian houses dont have underground areas or isolated utility rooms for Heating and Cooling machines. So Central air would require a bulky and loud blower inside the house.
The AC units in the photo are nice but they have cluttered the building in a way that central AC would not.
Well said, the bolded are the major reasons why there is limited use of Central A.C in Nigeria
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by MysticZeus: 7:20am On Apr 27, 2016
BE811APP:
Our architects are not innovative...No offense to dos in d proffession but its true

Why do u think Builders do a better Job on site and when I say Builders I mean those that didnt go to skol oo..

You have no idea what You talking about!

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by tsdarkside(m): 7:23am On Apr 27, 2016
this air conditioning systems are wasting alot of electricity too........

nigerians dont think on the electricity power this things neeed.....

its very unfortunate that we allowed the europeans to brain-wash us soo massively........

them themselves would never build such energy-wasteful strucktures in europe..

expantriats my foot.....

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by semitunde: 7:25am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

How many houses have you built for yourself that has central AC and have you ever worked on commercial HVAC in your life?

I know down there even omolanke driver is an engineer grin

Whats this one saying?

I am a Civil Engr. Its what I used more than five years in OAU to study. What is it that you do? Say it confidently (or even rudely like you're used to). That you're the cleaner in a modest wood house construction coy does not confer authenticity to every lie you cook up.

I asked you not to misinform the public about your ignorance in the use of HVAC solutions and you decided to go rudely personal. Asking for my "friends" only prove you've been running you mouth for a long time. You found me in the right mood yesternight.

You know little to nothing of technical aspects of construction. Stick to your forte, just post pictures and keep it moving.

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by martinsaba: 7:31am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

No you can't.
Shut up there, what do you know? Don't assume what you don't know. You can regulate any room in a central AC to suit what temperature you want
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by semitunde: 7:32am On Apr 27, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

The Senate Building being used doesn't have central ac either, just like other offices. But does the building of a new Senate Building not amount to waste of fund since there is an existing one with an extention?

I honestly don't know what informed their decision for that. But whatever, the new building might end up not too different (at least in height ) from the former building. Quite a siseabl amount of the scope has been cut down. Cost cutting.

1 Like

Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by semitunde: 7:43am On Apr 27, 2016
martinsaba:

Shut up there, what do you know?
Don't assume what you don't know.
You can regulate any room in a central AC to suit what temperature you want

Don't mind the funny guy. Its people like him that one has to manage in projects. They always like to have an opinion even in issues beyond their comprehension. I give people like that the hardest jobs for them.to sink their hitherto wasted energies on. Keeps them.quiet for some time.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by oxyG: 7:56am On Apr 27, 2016
EgunMogaji:

No you can't.
Yes He can!.
However,maintaining a central A/C system is a major problem in an environment like Nigeria.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 8:00am On Apr 27, 2016
martinsaba:

Shut up there, what do you know?
Don't assume what you don't know.
You can regulate any room in a central AC to suit what temperature you want

Na so the thing dey pain you? grin

And how do you regulate individual zones in residential HVAC?
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 8:01am On Apr 27, 2016
oxyG:

Yes He can!.
However,maintaining a central A/C system is a major problem in an environment like Nigeria.

Please submit proof of his you can do that.

I bet you can't. wink
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 8:03am On Apr 27, 2016
semitunde:

Don't mind the funny guy. Its people like him that one has to manage in projects. They always like to have an opinion even in issues beyond their comprehension. I give people like that the hardest jobs for them.to sink their hitherto wasted energies on. Keeps them.quiet for some time.

Why anyone would give any job to someone as close minded as you escapes me.

We know the movers and shakers on Nairaland and your name is not on the list grin

You're not even fit to build a house for my Dog.
Re: Why Not A Central AC System? (Photos} by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 27, 2016
semitunde:

Whats this one saying?

I am a Civil Engr. Its what I used more than five years in OAU to study. What is it that you do? Say it confidently (or even rudely like you're used to). That you're the cleaner in a modest wood house construction coy does not confer authenticity to every lie you cook up.

I asked you not to misinform the public about your ignorance in the use of HVAC solutions and you decided to go rudely personal. Asking for my "friends" only prove you've been running you mouth for a long time. You found me in the right mood yesternight.

You know little to nothing of technical aspects of construction. Stick to your forte, just post pictures and keep it moving.

Yet no ones knows squat about you.

Spyder, Abdul, Skimanski, Aventures even EgbosaJohnny we know.

You're a frustrated non entity grin

An alleged civil engineer that thinks he's a qualified HVAC engineer. Na wa for Nigeria.

Better stop lying to yourself and go load your passengers for motor park grin

Wait a minute, you didn't use mortuary attendant in this last post, are you getting soft already? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FLOORING: WHICH TILE SHOULD I GO FOR? AN ADVICE / Ikoyi Building Collapse: Onyinye Enekwe Dies One Month To Her Wedding / Omemma Ojoto: Meet The Igbo Man Developing The Biggest Estate In VGC Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.