Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? (6647 Views)

Winners' Chapel Declares 7-Day Fasting For The Rescue Of The Soul Of Nigeria / Archaeologists Find Gates Of Hell In Saudi Arabia / Are Jehovah's Witnesses Afraid Of Hell/Lake Of Fire? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by shaneroberts26: 3:16pm On Apr 28, 2016
It is questions like this that turns Christians into atheism.Op,very soon you will become an atheist.Mark my post.

John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and
the truth will set ...
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Stconvict(m): 3:33pm On Apr 28, 2016
You know something that is funny about you Christians.
You try to find logic to explaining what is essentially illogical.
At first you are like, it's fire and then a logical question comes up, and you are like it's a different type of fire.
You guys are truly unsure of what you are following but you get the felling that it is there.
Well unexplained feelings are not very helpful. The feelings should to be examined and explained thoroughly, not just dismiss it with a simple , non-sensible explanation. Which is what the bible is.
I can have a strange feeling in my belly and just dismiss that it is the devil dancing in my stomach and therefore pray to god about it. Or I could go to a doctor to get examined based on collections of logical and physical studies done through the years.
I was at a burial yesterday and I listened as the pastor ranted on and on about afterlife and people all sober and listening with rapt attention.
I shook my head. This people have no clue that there is simply no afterlife. There is no soul. There is only one life to live.
This mentality of afterlife has made a lot people redundant to productivity. They simply accept their situation, quoting some verses in the Bible to console themselves about a better place after death where they will live happily ever after.
Tell me how this doesn't sound like a Cinderella story.
The interesting part is, there are two groups of Christains. The educated ones and the uneducated ones.
The educated ones try to use logic and science to explain a lot of illogical mysteries about the Bible. The uneducated ones however, do not bother to explain anything. They know little about science. They believe god is in the sky. They believe heaven is in the sky and that hell is perhaps beneath the earth. They don't even know how the bible came about. They don't even know how Christainity came to Nigeria. They probably never bothered to ask. It doesn't feel right when an atheist/agnost asks them certain brain-probing questions because some questions are better left unasked. They are scared of blasphemy and they watch what they say to avoid rejection.
At the end of the day, educated and uneducated alike resort to the basal way of explaining phenomena with a book written thousands of years ago. Or was it? What if through those years some people edited the wordings of the Bible? What if some contexts were lost to translations. Who knows?
Either way, just believe.
Well they forget some of us like to ask questions. We are passionate about how things work rather than just knowing they work.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by urahara(m): 4:05pm On Apr 28, 2016
shaneroberts26:
It is questions like this that turns Christians into atheism.Op,very soon you will become an atheist.Mark my post.

John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and
the truth will set ...

U dont know kingebukasblog
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Rossikk(m): 5:41pm On Apr 28, 2016
veecovee:
THE SOUL IS IMMATERIAL TO THIS WORLD, BUT IT IS MATERIAL TO THE SOUL WORLD
The soul world has many dimensions. At the highest levels there is no form. Just pure Consciousness.
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by urahara(m): 6:14pm On Apr 28, 2016
Rossikk:
The soul world has many dimensions. At the highest levels there is no form. Just pure Consciousness.

And u know this because u re a dead man ryt undecided
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by LinuxMint: 6:33pm On Apr 28, 2016
Rossikk:
there is nothing like soul world. the soul is the body. consider Genesis 2:7, it clearly state that God breath into Adam the breathe of life (spirit) and he became a living soul (body). some bible translation uses the statement "and he became a living person".

Even in some TV news reportage on accidents, its often reported that "some SOULS lost their lives".

This clearly shows that the soul is the person itself. even the bible states that mankind and animals are souls and a soul dies and does not go to another world (Ezekiel 18:4, Ecclesiastics 9:5,10) .
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by urahara(m): 6:39pm On Apr 28, 2016
LinuxMint:

there is nothing like soul world. the soul is the body. consider Genesis 2:7, it clearly state that God breath into Adam the breathe of life (spirit) and he became a living soul (body). some bible translation uses the statement "and he became a living person".

Even in some TV news reportage on accidents, its often reported that "some SOULS lost their lives".

This clearly shows that the soul is the person itself. even the bible states that mankind and animals are souls and a soul dies and does not go to another world (Ezekiel 18:4, Ecclesiastics 9:5,10) .

U get thy facts from a story book .

.... Smh
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by CoolUsername: 7:58pm On Apr 28, 2016
urahara:

.... Smh

Furthermore, I'll like to understand how a lake of burning sulphur can possibly interact with an 'immaterial' soul. Christians always tell us that the supernatural isn't affected by the laws of physics, how then can it interact with the physical?
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by urahara(m): 8:13pm On Apr 28, 2016
CoolUsername:

Furthermore, I'll like to understand how a lake of burning sulphur can possibly interact with an 'immaterial' soul. Christians always tell us that the supernatural isn't affected by the laws of physics, how then can it interact with the physical?

I swear. Some people dont just think.

In fact where is this lake of sulfur sef .

1 Like

Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Apr 28, 2016
matt5:29-30 And if thy right eye offend thee, cut it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy should be cast into hell
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish,and not that thy members should be cast into hell.
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:58pm On Apr 28, 2016
[size=1pt]
Stconvict:
You know something that is funny about you Christians.
You try to find logic to explaining what is essentially illogical.
At first you are like, it's fire and then a logical question comes up, and you are like it's a different type of fire.
You guys are truly unsure of what you are following but you get the felling that it is there.
Well unexplained feelings are not very helpful. The feelings should to be examined and explained thoroughly, not just dismiss it with a simple , non-sensible explanation. Which is what the bible is.
I can have a strange feeling in my belly and just dismiss that it is the devil dancing in my stomach and therefore pray to god about it. Or I could go to a doctor to get examined based on collections of logical and physical studies done through the years.
I was at a burial yesterday and I listened as the pastor ranted on and on about afterlife and people all sober and listening with rapt attention.
I shook my head. This people have no clue that there is simply no afterlife. There is no soul. There is only one life to live.
This mentality of afterlife has made a lot people redundant to productivity. They simply accept their situation, quoting some verses in the Bible to console themselves about a better place after death where they will live happily ever after.
Tell me how this doesn't sound like a Cinderella story.
The interesting part is, there are two groups of Christains. The educated ones and the uneducated ones.
The educated ones try to use logic and science to explain a lot of illogical mysteries about the Bible. The uneducated ones however, do not bother to explain anything. They know little about science. They believe god is in the sky. They believe heaven is in the sky and that hell is perhaps beneath the earth. They don't even know how the bible came about. They don't even know how Christainity came to Nigeria. They probably never bothered to ask. It doesn't feel right when an atheist/agnost asks them certain brain-probing questions because some questions are better left unasked. They are scared of blasphemy and they watch what they say to avoid rejection.
At the end of the day, educated and uneducated alike resort to the basal way of explaining phenomena with a book written thousands of years ago. Or was it? What if through those years some people edited the wordings of the Bible? What if some contexts were lost to translations. Who knows?
Either way, just believe.
Well they forget some of us like to ask questions. We are passionate about how things work rather than just knowing they work.
[/size]

The same way you feel we dont make sense is the same way we feel you dont make sense . There are more uneducated benighted atheists than educated ones anyway .
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:08pm On Apr 28, 2016
urahara:

U dont know kingebukasblog

Tell them bro . I just asked a question to know the views of Christians on the topic and it implies I'm considering atheism ? shocked I dont only practice the religion like most do , I have a relationship with my creator of which I'm currently developing . cool

God is the Greatest
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Apr 28, 2016
the fool said in his heart that there is no God. how can a man look @himself in d mirror n concludes there is no God. #signs#
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Apr 28, 2016
matt 5:29&30 Jesus wasn't Joking
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:30pm On Apr 28, 2016
A fatal mistake .

Matthew 10:28
28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

A different kind of body fit for eternity - for either hell or heaven and a different kind of fire . Not the literal fire or the physical body we know .So hell fire is different from the literal fire - the one that can torment the immortal body .

That kind of body is called the resurrection body - a body that is spiritual, and cannot perish

1 Corinthians 15:54
54 When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written:
“Death is swallowed up in victory.”

The immortal body - the resurrection body and soul - would be sent to hell not actually the soul

1 Corinthians 15:35-54

35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?

36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:

37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain:

38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.

41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.

42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Apologies everyone . Very sorry for the confusion .
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Princewell2012(m): 11:42pm On Apr 28, 2016
veecovee:
THE SOUL IS IMMATERIAL TO THIS WORLD, BUT IT IS MATERIAL TO THE SOUL WORLD. AND HELLFIRE IS REAL THERE. Read mark 9:43

what is the meaning of all these copy and paste
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Stconvict(m): 11:51pm On Apr 28, 2016
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Stconvict(m): 11:51pm On Apr 28, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
[size=1pt][/size]

The same way you feel we dont make sense is the same way we feel you dont make sense . There are more uneducated benighted atheists than educated ones anyway .
There are more uneducated benighted atheists. Really?
The reason most atheist/agnostics in Nigeria are who they are now is because they are educated.
Nigeria is a place where one is born into a religion, and since there are many uneducated people in Nigeria.
There are equally many uneducated christains, muslims, etc.
And seriously though, you guys make sense, except that it is a very small tiny little sense.
Like I always say. Stick with your storybook, let me stick with logic.
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by LinuxMint: 11:54pm On Apr 28, 2016
urahara:

.... Smh
seems to me ur an atheist.
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Princewell2012(m): 12:05am On Apr 29, 2016
MrPresident1:

And to buttress the strong point you have made, this is where Israel (the Negros) went to hell:

Ezekiel 31:15
Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day when he went down to the grave I caused a mourning: I covered the deep for him, and I restrained the floods thereof, and the great waters were stayed: and I caused Lebanon to mourn for him, and all the trees of the field fainted for him.
16 I made the nations to shake at the sound of his fall, when I cast him down to hell with them that descend into the pit:

Hell, grave, pit, they are all the same thing. All nations that forsake God will be cast into the grave, into the pit, into hell. Hell is the symbolic world to mean separation from God, if you are separated from God, you are in hell. Hellish conditions are conditions of human suffering caused when one is forsaken by God.

Psalm 9:17
The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

Israel, the Negros are in hell today because they forsook God, they turned to wickedness against the commandments, Law, and ordinances of God, so they descended into hell, into the grave.

And Israel, Negros, are still in hell today awaiting redemption which salvation will come by the coming of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

God bless you sir.

I don.t know how else to explain it better than this.

God only said he will returned Adam to the ground (dust) but he never for once mentioned everlasting fire, what for?

Even sodom and gomorah did not continue living after the destruction.

Weather fire or water

Man will only be destroyed once and for all.

Can we quickly check the meaning of destruction in dictionary

Again the bible says that the soul that sineth shall die, can we also check the meaning of death?

Finally when someone is wailing and gnashing his teeth somewhere because of pain, can we call that person a death man when he can still talk? Mmmmm
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:05am On Apr 29, 2016
Stconvict:

The reason most atheist/agnostics in Nigeria are who they are now is because they are educated.

A blatant assertion , a moronic one to say the least .
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:13am On Apr 29, 2016
Stconvict:

Like I always say. Stick with your storybook, let me stick with logic.

Daft post . The lack of belief in a deity =! Being Logical . Why are all of you bereft of common sense ? There are a thousand and one touts who ridicule Christianity when the word of God is preached to them . Have you tried even preaching to a drunk in a beer parlour ? Or a nymphomaniac ? The preponderance of people who condone such depravities in Nigeria is overwhelming . Nigeria is a superstitious country - made up of hypocrites and carping people . This shouldn't be confused with being overly religious .
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Stconvict(m): 12:56am On Apr 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Daft post . . Why are all of you bereft of common sense ? There are a thousand and one touts who ridicule Christianity when the word of God is preached to them . Have you tried even preaching to a drunk in a beer parlour ? Or a nymphomaniac ? The preponderance of people who condone such depravities in Nigeria is overwhelming . Nigeria is a superstitious country - made up of hypocrites and carping people . This shouldn't be confused with being overly religious .
Dude. They are religious. Simple. That they are touts or prostitutes; that they stay in beer parlours; that they do not listen to your preachings does not mean they don't believe in God.
Where TF are you taking this anyway?
Where did you get "The lack of belief in a deity =! Being Logical"? When did I mention anything like that? And why are you relating it with nymphs and touts?
Anyway you need to understand that being logical is the reason why I don't believe in abrahamic god. The same applies for many other atheist.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Stconvict(m): 1:01am On Apr 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

A blatant assertion , a moronic one to say the least .
Just the same way you said "There are more uneducated benighted atheists than educated ones anyway".
As long as we are arguing logically you can only eventually resort to strawman tactics or just stay silent.
That's what you guys do anyway.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:04am On Apr 29, 2016
Stconvict:

Dude. They are religious. Simple. That they are touts or prostitutes; that they stay in beer parlours; that they do not listen to your preachings does not mean they don't believe in God.

You cant ridicule religion and speak out overtly against any God and still have a belief in any . Most of them ridicule religion not just Christianity . They express their lack of belief in any god in the open . They even shout at you lipsrsealed

Where did you get "The lack of belief in a deity =! Being Logical"? When did I mention anything like that? And why are you relating it with nymphs and touts?

Most touts and the sexually unrestrained are atheists .

Anyway you need too understand that being logical is the reason why I don't believe in abrahamic god.

Anyway you need to understand that being logical is the reason why I believe in God
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:07am On Apr 29, 2016
Stconvict:

Just the same way you said "There are more uneducated benighted atheists than educated ones anyway".
I can see you frustration at trying to quench an agnostic voice.
But it is not working.
As long as we are arguing logically you can only eventually resort to strawman tactics or just stay silent.
That's what you guys do anyway.

Now you get the point cool . You misyarn and employ strawman tactics and expect not to be mocked by me ? undecided . I just made use of assertions and employed strawman tactics to elicit the appropriate response from you
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Stconvict(m): 1:18am On Apr 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You cant ridicule religion and speak out overtly against any God and still have a belief in any . Most of them ridicule religion not just Christianity . They express their lack of belief in any god in the open . They even shout at you lipsrsealed
Most touts and the sexually unrestrained are atheists .
Where is the stats please. Many touts an prostitutes I've seen, though behave badly, still believe in some god. Or at the very least believe in some spiritual realm and beings. I'm sure many will agree with me. Well except you are living in some place other than Nigeria.
Anyway you need to understand that being logical is the reason why I believe in God
Hahaha! How is the existence of your god logical at all. The bible that claims his existence is in fact illogical in itself. I'm sure you have seen a lot of questions posed by many atheists/agnostics here. And yet there is no logical answer to any.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:13am On Apr 29, 2016
Stconvict:

Where is the stats please. Many touts an prostitutes I've seen, though behave badly, still believe in some god. Or at the very least believe in some spiritual realm and beings. I'm sure many will agree with me. Well except you are living in some place other than Nigeria.

Where is the stat that reveals that when a Nigerian becomes educated he tends to depart from his faith ?

Hahaha! How is the existence of your god logical at all. The bible that claims his existence is in fact illogical in itself. I'm sure you have seen a lot of questions posed by many atheists/agnostics here. And yet there is no logical answer to any.

Misconceptions you mean ? Like who created God when he is eternal ? grin Anyway ask me just five of those questions lets see how it goes . Just five ... cool

1 Like

Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Jozzy4: 7:59am On Apr 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
A fatal mistake .

Matthew 10:28

A different kind of body fit for eternity - for either hell or heaven and a different kind of fire . Not the literal fire or the physical body we know .So hell fire is different from the literal fire - the one that can torment the immortal body .

That kind of body is called the resurrection body - a body that is spiritual, and cannot perish

1 Corinthians 15:54

The immortal body - the resurrection body and soul - would be sent to hell not actually the soul

1 Corinthians 15:35-54

Apologies everyone . Very sorry for the confusion .

wetin I no go read for Nairaland.

so hellfire is now different from the literal Fire grin

to get u clearly, how can u reconcile your explanation above with the fact that the ressurection has not occur ? do you mean that presently people dont go to hellfire as the church teach ?
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:13am On Apr 29, 2016
Jozzy4:

wetin I no go read for Nairaland.

so hellfire is now different from the literal Fire grin

to get u clearly, how can u reconcile your explanation above with the fact that the ressurection has not occur ? do you mean that presently people dont go to hellfire as the church teach ?

The unsaved lay unconsciously in the grave , waiting for their final punishment before they'd be cast into hell
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by MizJanet(f): 8:38am On Apr 29, 2016
solite3:
matt5:29-30 And if thy right eye offend thee, cut it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy should be cast into hell
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish,and not that thy members should be cast into hell.

can u explain this bible portion for me, because it said the human eyes and the human hands also go to hell ?

have you seen a dead human whose eyes and hands vanished to hell immediately he died ?

bobo please explain.
Re: If The Soul Is Immaterial How Does It Experience The 'heat' Of Hell ? by Jozzy4: 8:51am On Apr 29, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

The unsaved lay unconsciously in the grave , waiting for their final punishment before they'd be cast into hell

lol, nobody is in hellfire right now ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Complete Biography of Pastor Stephanie Ike. / Should A Christian Hotelier Allow Unmarried Couples To Lodge In A Room? / Are You Busy, Busy, Busy During The Church Service?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.