Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,650 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft (16981 Views)

Is Atheism A Belief Or Lack Of Belief / Pastor Chidi Okafor "Strikes Woman With Blindness", Accuses Her Of Witchcraft / Little Child Tortured For Days Over Witchcraft Accusation (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Nobody: 2:43pm On Aug 03, 2016
swituju:
The first commentor,u dare mention Oyedepo n mention guts,somtin must be wrong with u.be careful!witches deserve setting ablaze.dey r a menace to dis generation.pray not to fall a victim of dere witchcraft.u go pray tire.only d likes of Oyedepo ll set u free from dere clutches
This one has been brainwashed beyond redemption. grin

Psycho. So you'll burn your fellow human alive out of delusion that he's responsible for your problems in life?

It's only lazy idiotic asses who can't take responsibility for their failures and shortcomings who believe in witchcraft. They're ready to put the blame on everyone except themselves. When you hit rocky times in life, you look around you, work on yourself, pick yourself and give it another shot.

You're responsible for your life. Whatever happens, whether good or bad should be shouldered by you. Blaming innocent people for the consequences of your actions and inactions is total foolhardiness.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by murmee: 2:55pm On Aug 03, 2016
hahn:

It is a general thing and very common with Christians
My friend, you are very wrong. The so called christians that believe so much in witchcraft and wizardry are the Celestial churches and the C&S churches. They have destroyed families and scattered marriages with false prophecies and accusations!
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 03, 2016
mildflame:
I smile whenever I read WRITE UPs like this Experience remains the ultimate teacher, if you have never encounter a ONE on ONE situation you will basked in " non-existent" mentality.
While growing up, we(FAMILY) and our tenants witnessed WITCHCRAFT at the hands of a relative we sheltered thinking we were doing good to a soul.
I personally was the main centre of ATTACK and 2 others( Amos n Ify).
WITCHCRAFT EXIST in AFRICA EUROPE and ASIA and the AMERICAS what they feed on is your FEAR but your BELIEF is key

I will soon write on my PERSONAL encounter here on NAIRALAND however the TRUTH remains that your DESTINY is in your HAND
This is exactly what we're saying. Indicting everyone around you as your enemy. They're after you, they want to put you down, take your life bla bla bla.

Now, your relatives must have been responsible for the hard times you faced when growing up.

This is what differentiates the average white man from a typical African man. In Africa, everything must have spiritual cause. No wonder we lag behind in every facet of life. Our extreme superstitious disposition is cancerous to innovative ideas and solutions. It retards our intellects.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by hahn(m): 3:09pm On Aug 03, 2016
murmee:
My friend, you are very wrong. The so called christians that believe so much in witchcraft and wizardry are the Celestial churches and the C&S churches. They have destroyed families and scattered marriages with false prophecies and accusations!

They are still Christians. Regardless lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by mildflame: 3:32pm On Aug 03, 2016
EsuKekereOde:

This is exactly what we're saying. Indicting everyone around you as your enemy. They're after you, they want to put you down, take your life bla bla bla.

Now, you relatives must have been responsible for the hard times you faced when growing up.

This is what differentiates the average white man from a typical African man. In Africa, everything must have spiritual cause. No wonder we lag behind in every facet of life. Our extreme superstitious disposition is cancerous to innovative ideas and solutions. It retards our intellects.

Your UNDERSTANDING and COMPREHENSION beats my imagination
Personal Encounter/Experience means what to you? I don't blame anyone for anything cause my DESTINY is in my hand and in perfect CRUISE CONTROL
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by madri4u: 3:43pm On Aug 03, 2016
Believe it or not. Witches in once's family and can ruin some once's destiny.Prayer is d only key to overcome it.
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Uyi168: 4:08pm On Aug 03, 2016
And how come witchcraft is very common among the poor...
u hardly see a rich man accusing some1/being accused a witch...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Goroz: 4:17pm On Aug 03, 2016
P3ST:
you are right.

Pls sir Fynestboi needs your vote. Pls click on this link and type I vote Fynestboi cc nljega https://www.nairaland.com/3265483/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-semi-final#48137848

You still dey campaign?

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Jefersoun: 5:03pm On Aug 03, 2016
[quote author=johnydon22 post=45121482]Fear: Is a very important aspect of our natural self, it is rooted in survival and is a fueling value for our Survival Instincts

But when this Factor is misplaced, misused, far stretched and imaginative, it becomes a dangerous value, it becomes detrimental to survival and a psychological prison that can mar our psychological well being.

I live in a society deep in the heart land of Enugu like all southern states is lit with magnanimous religious activities, a gripping clutch of outright superstitious fantasy, a pitiable belief and fear of witchcraft.

"Mrs Mmuo has been accused by her daughter
in-law of being a witch.
She lost two babies in miscarriages and the last was a still birth.
the only chant she knows right now is

"My mother in-law is a witch, she ate my babies, my pastor confirmed it"

Mr Obiajulu has been branded a wizard by his Children, he had laboured to see them through school now they are independent.
the first son had some troubles in his business and the man of god's never wrong pointing hands fell on his father.

Now the song is "My Father is a wizard working against my progress, man of God confirmed it"

Yes little children are not left out of the party,
any child with a slightly unique but different character is a witch, a reincarnation of an ancestral spirit .

The prayer house even used Cane on the little Ada to get her to confess.
Marks of darkened cane stripes adorn her flesh as a testimony.

"Holy Ghost fires" rents the air as the church beside attack spiritually the witches of the night while the rest of us need to twist and turn in bed unable to close our eyes from the shouts and bangs robbing us of sleep.

The average Nigerian society is riddled by the fear of Witches and Wizards, by the fear of such vague abstract notions that is no more than a psychological epilepsy conceived by a misplaced fearful mind.

it is a dangerous belief, a social menace and a stumbling block to our psychological growth.

-Every whiff of wind is a witch-craft manifestation.

-the rats and cockroaches in the house trying to find something to eat are in fact monitoring spirits sent from the village to monitor progresses.

-The cry of owls in the night is actually that of a witch in assignment..

-A child talking in the sleep is possessed.

- Every weird looking uncle or grand mother is actually one responsible for your problems.

-Every night mare is a revelation that an evil is attacking you.

It has gotten to the point that Husbands can accuse wives, mothers accuses children, wifes accuse mother in-laws, uncles, fathers, grand mothers, grand fathers.

everyone is caught in that web of fearful accusations and untold scare.

If you wear a red shade, you will see everything in a shade of red, the trees will beam down with red leaves, the sky will be smeared with red

It is time to take out that red shade, time to rid your mind of unhealthy baseless beliefs rooted in sheepish fear, ignorance and simplistic gullibility to what bible wielding, tongue firing, swag bearing men of God said.

The mind can be our greatest ally and our greatest foe, if you convince yourself that you are being chased surely you'll live the rest of your life running from nothing other than your own mind.

You'll spend your life battling imaginary enemies every night and day in an unending streak of illusionary wars.

You will be a prisoner of your own mind, a captive of your own fear and that can only diminish your ability to live freely.

It is time to take out the red shade and see clearer
time to shed these vague abstract fears and breathe freely

Nothing diminishes the human potential more than victimization of one's self.
Stop blaming every other thing for your misfortune and thereby making yourself the victim.

One problem with such fearful vague fantasies is that it keeps you busy fighting over enemies that are not there, compounding your problems with imaginary causes thereby invoking the need for imaginary solutions.

That is when our belief and fear becomes an enemy to self.

The rate of such demeaning belief etched in the minds of the average Nigerian makes this society an easy prey for selfish con men who would utilize this fear to extort the masses while dipping them deeper into this illusionary show down of fearful fantasy.

It is either you choose to be master of your own self by ridding your mind of any diminishing belief and fear or you subject yourself to the rule of your fears.

Removed the red shade and put on a clearer one
If you believe that GOD exists, then you should believe this verse - Exodus 22 vs 18, except you are one of "Them". I won't say anything more than this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Jefersoun: 5:09pm On Aug 03, 2016
[quote author=johnydon22 post=45121482]
If you believe that GOD exists, then you should believe this verse - Exodus 22 vs 18, except you are one of "Them".
I won't say more than this.
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 03, 2016
your head dey there johnydon22, witches do not exist, infact nothing spiritual.... simple.....

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Austin234(m): 6:55pm On Aug 03, 2016
Op, haven't u seen proud witches. Witches exist and have caused havoc in many lifes and homes. The Bible testified that Jezebel was a witch.

I have chatted with a German woman who was so proud of being a white witch.

I have also chatted with a guy who threatened to harm me with his witchcraft powers if dear preach to him about Christ.

Op, i think what u ment or would say is the undue hype about withes. Every mishap is attributed to witchcraft attack. Every death is an enemy that caused it even when it was obvious that the person led a bad lifestyle like smoking hemp or illicit sex etc.

In conclusion, witches exist and has wrecked havoc in many homes. But am against the idea of burning or maiming human lives in the name that he/she is a witch. The Bible said our battle is not carnal or against flesh and blood. Witches can be silenced by the blood of Jesus Christ

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Ishilove: 7:15pm On Aug 03, 2016
Teespice:
ishilove,

any contributions on the topic?

it's your opinion I Really want to read.
When I saw who the op is I almost did not read the article because the niqqa is an atheist, but since you want my opinion I will prepare a robust reply when I get home. I'm currently stuck in Lagos traffic cheesy
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Teespice(f): 7:41pm On Aug 03, 2016
Ishilove:

When I saw who the op is I almost did not read the article because the niqqa is an atheist, but since you want my opinion I will prepare a robust reply when I get home. I'm currently stuck in Lagos traffic cheesy

I dey wait for your robust reply.

be safe.
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by omotroyz(m): 6:13am On Aug 04, 2016
last night my neighbors caught an owl, and they began to shout holy ghost fire, casting and binding. after their unanswered prayers they set the owl ablaze. they feel the owl is the cause of a their problems.
i was very furious and told them how ignorant they are. does it mean that every owl or night bird they see is as a result of witchcraft? ignorance indeed just makes one an ignorant person.
ENC: witchcraft is not evil, it is the practitioner that is either good or bad, just as Christianity is neither good nor bad it the d practitioner the is good or bad, as well as any religion in the world, it is the practitioner that matters. BTW I know the Christians here will want to call on holy ghost fire to consume now.

2 Likes

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by opeaceo: 8:00am On Aug 04, 2016
omotroyz:

ENC: witchcraft is not evil, it is the practitioner that is either good or bad, just as Christianity is neither good nor bad it the d practitioner the is good or bad, as well as any religion in the world, it is the practitioner that matters. BTW I know the Christians here will want to call on holy ghost fire to consume now.

Your analogy is skewed, it's just like saying cultism, stealing, killing is good, but the practitioner(s) is either good or bad? If you want to outrightly condemn someone/something, do so, don't hide behind the curtains of pseudo justification.

And for Christians calling on the holy ghost to consume you, no be you dey here? abi you remain for house? you a mere mortal?? mtscheeewwwww.
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by kilo4sure: 8:33am On Aug 04, 2016
urahara:

I have never in my life seen a xtian dat doesnt bliv in witches neva
Maybe because you live in Nigeria.#just maybe#

1 Like

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by naijafresh: 9:10am On Aug 04, 2016
johnydon22:

Her inability to tap into the Plight of the woman loosing her kids and show basic human sympathy to the sufferings of others is the basis of her misconception, illogical conclusions and stark plain cognitive simplicity caused by the bonds of her blind belief in nonsensical superstitions.

Affirming superstitions mar our psychological growth and ability to see clearly ..

I rather call most of these Case "Cognitive Laziness"

I agree with your point, but there are many facets to this argument.

In my opinion, witches do exist, I think society attributes too much co-incidence and poorly understood but naturally occuring phenomena to the supernatural.
In the western world, if a woman keeps losing children, they would undergo genetic screening and not a witch hunt.
Indeed, some things can not be explained and some have a scientific explanation. It seems what we can't explain as Africans we call witchcraft. I still believe there is supernatural influence on our lives in ways we may or may not notice and we should leave all this to God, we cant fight what we can't see and that is why we need heavenly protection

We don't see too many intelligent and logical statements on nairaland, your response is also devoid of insults and one up man ship.

Thank you, there is hope after all.
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by FILEBE(m): 9:15am On Aug 04, 2016
Lol. O.p hehehehe. So funny. I thought we have gone through this on Nairaland before?

Intelligence is the application of Knowledge, Experience is Knowledge by doing or seeing over time.

O.p, you lack those three things mentioned above( experience, knowledge and intelligence) on matters like this. You have never seen a witch doesnt mean they dont exist. Experience is the best teacher. Dont just sit at the spectator seats and assume u know what is happening on the pitch.

There are more to life than what science can explain my dear.
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Ceereeab: 4:05pm On Aug 04, 2016
Beware there are witches of SALEM
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by omotroyz(m): 6:09pm On Aug 04, 2016
opeaceo:

Your analogy is skewed, it's just like saying cultism, stealing, killing is good, but the practitioner(s) is either good or bad? If you want to outrightly condemn someone/something, do so, don't hide behind the curtains of pseudo justification.

And for Christians calling on the holy ghost to consume you, no be you dey here? abi you remain for house? you a mere mortal?? mtscheeewwwww.
one thing you should know is that no spiritual path is good or bad. witchcraft is a spiritual path just like every other one we have today. so it's unfair to see it as evil.
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by Nobody: 1:10pm On Aug 06, 2016
johnydon22:

Very correct, not all Christians believe such tales by the moonlight like witches..
But their holy book necessitates such silly beliefs..... That's why I prefer to reference Christianity in terms of the ideologies fundamental to it, as opposed to judging based on the opinions of the people who subscribe to it....
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by johnydon22(m): 10:27pm On Aug 11, 2016
KingEtienneSky:
But their holy book necessitates such silly beliefs..... That's why I prefer to reference Christianity in terms of the ideologies fundamental to it, as opposed to judging based on the opinions of the people who subscribe to it....

I agree
Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by johnydon22(m): 9:02am On Jan 27, 2017
https://www.nairaland.com/3594638/elderly-woman-accused-witchcraft-beaten

sometime i am ashamed of being in the same country with folks like these

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Menace Of Belief In Witchcraft by jonbellion(m): 10:08am On Jan 27, 2017
Interesting thread
If we don't speak against all this rubbish now people would still willingly indulge in such barbaric superstitions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oyedepo To Establish Another University: Landmark University / . / What Happens To Those Who Hold On Tightly To Sin Instead Of Letting Go (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.