Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,317 members, 7,822,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Should Believers Observe The Law? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Believers Observe The Law? (2378 Views)

'Laughing' Church Banner In Calabar By Believers' Right Ministry (Photo) / Is The Holy Spirit Present In The Life Of Both Believers And Unbelievers? / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Believers Observe The Law? by Raphoeworld: 9:35pm On Apr 28, 2016
To say believers do not have laws to observe or that we are now in the era of grace and we need not to observe any law is an extreme. None of the Apostles preached that; in fact they preached the opposite. Jesus told his disciples this;

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

This implies that if believers claim to be the disciples of Jesus, this certainly applies to them. Meaning they have certain law or commandment to keep. Someone could have said Christ said that before his disciples became born again. Well, let me show you what John the apostle said much later;

1 John 2:3
and hereby we do know that we know him (Christ), If we keep his commandments.

Isn’t it interesting that John said there was no way you can know Jesus without getting to keep some (his) commandments? Sure it is! So, we know that for anybody to follow Jesus, such must keep his commandments. But the question is; was Jesus referring to the laws of the old testament? Was he referring to the mosaic laws? The answer is NO!
Individuals have their opinions about the classifications of the mosaic laws, which they usually classify into the moral and the ceremonial laws. Some people find the classification necessary while some don’t. Whichever way, my point is, laws that falls into this categories are referred to as the Mosaic Law. Another practice that is also considered as an important part of the Mosaic Law is the circumcision of male children. Though the practice of circumcision started about four hundred years before the law was given, it was later adopted as an emblem of the law as used by Apostle Paul in his letter to the church at Galatia (Gal 5:1-4). The popular Ten Commandments are classified under the moral law while laws that have to do with their festivals, their temple and every other law are considered to be ceremonial laws.
The truth is, for every covenant there are terms that are attached to them which is based on mutual agreement between the two parties that are involved in the covenant. The old covenant is between God and the Israelite. Hence, both the benefits and the responsibilities that come from the terms of the Old Testament is strictly for the parties involved.

Jeremiah 31:31-32
Behold, the days come, saith the lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah. Not according to the covenant I made with their fathers in the day that I took by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they break, although I was a husband unto them, saith the lord.

The old covenant has its own laws but God said he will make a new covenant; a new covenant will certainly have a new law. Hence just the way the old covenant was governed by the Mosaic Law, the new covenant has a new law.
The Hebrew writer said God put away the first (covenant), to establish the second. (Hebrew 10:9)
The truth is God actually put away the first, to establish the second. He didn’t mix the two covenants; He completely set the old aside to establish the new. If God completely set the old aside, He couldn’t have retained the old covenant law for the new covenant. Jesus clearly declares that one cannot pour new wine into old wine skin, we cannot mix the two together, and it has to be completely new. The following must change; priesthood, sacrifice, worship, temple, worshipers and the law.

The Levites used to occupy the priesthood office but now all Christians are priests and Jesus is the high priest.
The sacrifice used to be an animal but now the sacrifice is Jesus
Buildings used to be the temple of God but now Christians are the temples that God dwell in
Worship used to be place specific but now worship is in the spirit and in truth, it has nothing to do with places.
Worshipers used to be spiritually dead but now worshipers are spiritually alive
The law used to be Mosaic Law but now it is the law of love.

Jesus said in John 13:34; a new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Right there, when Jesus said “a new” he actually means it. That tells us that Christ wasn’t ignorant of the fact that there were laws that have been given to the people for them to observe but he said “a new commandment”. This also implies that the new one is not the summary of the old Mosaic laws, neither is it a synonym to the old laws. The words Christ used simply define it, a new commandment, and actually a different commandment. I met a fellow who believes that the new law is the summary of the old, and then I asked her to consider the statements of the old laws and compare it with the statement of the new law.
The old laws say; “thou shall not….” While the new law says; “thou/you shall….” Meaning both laws are different in structure, effect and intention.
The Old Testament laws instruct those under it about what they should not do while the New Testament law instructs us about what we should do. The first one talks more of actions while the second one goes down to nature- the nature of the heart of men. The purpose of the first one is to cub sin while the second one is the differential test that reveals the nature of all men.
Believers have nothing to do with the Old Testament law, that covenant is gone, it is a thing of the past and it doesn’t exist again. The law believers are obliged to observe is the love law.

1 John 3:11
This is the message you heard from the beginning: We should love one another.

1 John 3:23
And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.

So John clearly shows us that the law of the New Testament is the law of love.
However any one that walks in love will keep all the moral laws since the reason for morality is love. Let’s look at this;

Rom 13:8-10
8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Hence love fulfills all the moral laws, but the Mosaic Law can never help its observers to walk in love towards God and their fellow men instead it becomes a burden for them to carry. Look at what peter said about the Mosaic Law;

Acts 15:9-11
9 He made no distinction between us and them, for he purified their hearts by faith. 10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear?

Peter said saying believers should keep the Mosaic Law is equal to testing God.
Therefore we conclude that the Old Testament laws are not in any way applied to Christians and God is not asking anyone to keep them any longer. What God desire from everyone is to believe in Jesus, to reverence the lord and to love one another.
http://www.sujiandrewsblog.tk/2016/02/should-belivers-observe-law.html

1 Like

Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by TI1919(m): 9:53pm On Apr 28, 2016
1 timothy 1st 6 to 9
also made it clearer
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by TI1919(m): 9:54pm On Apr 28, 2016
1 Timothy 1 vs 6 to 9
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by promise101: 10:14pm On Apr 28, 2016
You are here again with this your heretic gospel of sinless perfection, work based salvation(lordship salvation).

But, I am here for you!
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by promise101: 10:16pm On Apr 28, 2016
First and foremost, list out the commandments of Jesus.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by BlackHummer(m): 10:27pm On Apr 28, 2016
In summary, we are no longer under the Mosaic Law but under the New Covenant established through Jesus Christ. The basis for this New Covenant is love. The law for this New Covenant is that our actions should be tested in the light of love. Once our actions are born out of love, we fulfil the requirements of the Old Testament and even more. Our ultimate goal as christians is that we conform to the image and character of Christ who is the express image of God Himself. When we love, we act like our Father in heaven. This is true righteousness
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by MrPresident1: 10:48pm On Apr 28, 2016
Jesus is the law of Moses, Jesus Christ are the men anointed with the law of Moses, men who have the law of God as their operatin software.

John 1:14, the word became flesh...

The Word put on flesh and became Jesus Christ. Christ means anointed
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Peritus(m): 7:52am On Apr 29, 2016
promise101:
You are here again with this your heretic gospel of sinless perfection, work based salvation(lordship salvation).

But, I am here for you!
It's either that you didn't read the post, or that your opinion was formed before you read it.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Joagbaje(m): 11:11am On Apr 29, 2016
Believers are not under the law . But the law is the law of God. And the moral content of the law not evil they are Gods kingdoms principles. The only. Lapse is that a man cannot be justified by obeying the law . But without the law we will not know what sin is. It's a foundation of Gods moral principles .

Romans 7:7
What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Splinz(m): 7:19pm On Apr 29, 2016
Op, stop misleading people with heresies and twisted Scriptures. You simply do not know what you're saying. How can you say a Law described as "perfect", PSALM 19:7, has been done away or annulled? Listen, "So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good", ROMANS 7:12. Just when did this righteous Law became unrighteous? Again, the Lord said this, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them", MATTHEW 5:17. Surely, the Law has not been done away, but the lawless one has made professing Christians believed the contrary.

Law of Moses or God’s Law?
"The Ten Commandments were never referred to as the law of Moses, but rather the law of God. First, understand this! The law of Moses consisted of (1) the civil laws, which were statutes and judgments that Moses relayed to the people from God, recorded in Exodus 21-23 and in the remaining books of the law, and (2) the ritualistic laws (or Greek: ergon) that were added later, summarized in Hebrews 9:10. They were ordinances regulating the job of the tribe of Levi in temple service, sacrifices (Leviticus 1-7) and associated functions. The word ergon means “works,” as in the “works of the law” (such as in Galatians 2:16). This refers to the labor involving the Levitical rituals that were abolished by Christ’s sacrifice.
The Ten Commandments were already in force long before they were officially given to Israel at Mount Sinai and this will be demonstrated. In fact, these commandments have existed since the creation of man. The Ten Commandments were never part of the law of Moses (addressed more fully later) or the Levitical sacrificial system. The civil laws and sacrifices were based on God’s commands, which constitute the core of His laws. Thus, the Ten Commandments precede and transcend any and every lesser law or practice based upon them—statutes, judgments, precepts, and ordinances.
The Ten Commandments are God’s spiritual laws (Rom. 7:12, 14). They are just as active as the physical laws of gravity and inertia. Just as breaking physical laws results in physical consequences, breaking spiritual laws results in spiritual consequences.
Sin Defined
Most human beings either do not know of or do not like to be reminded of I John 3:4, which defines sin: “Whosoever commits sin transgresses also THE LAW: for sin is the transgression of THE LAW.” As the subject develops, you will come to see (in stages) the central connection between sin and the law.
Romans 6:23 states that “the wages of SIN is death.” Romans 5 explains, “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam’s transgression, who is the figure of Him that was to come)” (vs. 12-14).
In other words, Adam sinned. Sin is not imputed—does not apply—where there is no law (carefully read Romans 4:15). Death reigned from Adam to Moses. (Remember, death is the penalty for sin, which is defined as the transgression of the law.) The only way that Adam and his descendants could sin—break God’s spiritual law—is if God’s Law already existed! Without this law in place, no one could be guilty of sin.
Instead of rejecting sin, modern religionists reject the law. They view the law as a burden—they want to be free from keeping it. But notice the key lessons found in Romans 7:7: “What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. No, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, You shall not covet.” It is not the law that is at fault—and Paul is clearly citing one of the Ten Commandments—but sin. God reveals to us what sin is. He does this by His perfect law. On his own, man cannot discover God’s perfect law. God has to reveal and teach it to us". (Culled from: The Ten Commandments- Nailed to the cross or required for salvation?, by David C. Park).

So, there's nothing like "Law Of Love". There's no other way to express love except through the Law, yes! The Ten commandment is divided into two. The first four teaches man how to love his Creator, while the remaining six teaches man how to love his fellow man. It is on this note that it is written, "Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law", ROMANS 13:10. Cleared! You can only talk of love when you've fulfilled (keep) the Law.

Finally, " The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God, and keep his commandments; for this is the WHOLE duty of man", ECCLESIASTES 12:13.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by promise101: 8:00am On Apr 30, 2016
Joagbaje:

Believers are not under the law . But the law is the law of God. And the moral content of the law not evil they are Gods kingdoms principles. The only. Lapse is that a man cannot be justified by obeying the law . But without the law we will not know what sin is. It's a foundation of Gods moral principles .

Romans 7:7
What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

My friend, you are just a confused christian filled with modern church contradiction.

You are trying to say that we are not under the law, but we have to keep them.

Listen to yourself and know how confused you sound. Doesn't that look contradictory to you?

We are not expected to obey those law for the PURPOSE of looking righteous before God. But if you try to keep them to look righteous before God, then God will make you accursed. Why? Because you don't have the capacity to keep all written in it.

Gal 3:10 in many versions;

"And all who DEPEND ON THE LAW[who are seeking to be justified by OBEDIENCE TO THE LAW(right living)of rituals] are under a CURSE and doomed to DISAPPOINTMENT and DESTRUCTION, for it is written in the Scriptures, Cursed (accursed, devoted to destruction, doomed to eternal punishment) be
everyone who does not continue to abide (LIVE and REMAIN) by ALL the precepts and commands written in the Book of the Law and to practice them." (AMPC)

"Anyone who TRIES TO PLEASE GOD BY OBEYING THE LAW(right living) IS UNDER A CURSE. The Scriptures say, “Everyone who doesn’t obey everything in the Law is under a curse.” (CEV)

" But people WHO DEPEND ON FOLLOWING THE LAW TO MAKE THEM RIGHT(right living) ARE UNDER A CURSE. As the Scriptures say, “They must do everything that is written in the law. If they do not always obey, they are under a curse.” (ERV)

"For all who RELY ON WORKS OF THE LAW(right living) ARE UNDER A CURSE; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.” (ESV)

"Those who depend on OBEYING THE LAW(right living) LIVE UNDER A CURSE. For the scripture says, “Whoever does not always obey everything that is written in the book
of the Law is under God's curse!”(GNT)

"All those who EXPECT THE LAW TO SAVE THEM FROM THE PUNISHMENT OF SIN(right living) WILL BE PUNISHED. Because it is written, “Everyone who does not keep on doing all the things written in the Book of the Law will be punished.”(NLV)

"But those who DEPEND ON THE LAW to make them right WITH GOD are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not
observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.” (NLT)

Normally, it is people who don't know anything about the Law and what it entails are people who live ignorantly by it and as well living under it's curse.

I know that by now you will be claiming;"Yeah, but I keep all, it is even simple to keep!". Hmm, don't just risk your life, that's why Jesus is restoring paul-like grace preachers, to set people free from the law, sin consciousness, condemnation and fear.

The main problem why we shouldn't keep it, is because we cannot keep ALL. Remember that james said, that if we keep all and fail one, we have failed the whole law.

I will like to let you know what the law constitutes. The laws are made up of 10 commandments with 630 laws.

The same law that says; women don't wear what pertaineth to man, is against wearing cloths of diverse sorts and colours, is against eating fishes with scale, is against building staircase, balcony and many of them!

How dare you keep such laws!

You build staircases, wear cloths of diverse sorts and colours, eat fishes with scales, but you(if woman) don't wear what pertaineth to a man, what is the difference??

You are the same with the person that fails all the laws, that's why we will be cursed if we live by them, because we cannot keep ALL of it.

So, you better humbly stay away from it!

Are you already living under curse? If you are keeping the law as a way to please God, look righteous before God, be right with god, then you are. It is very clea with those scriptures!

Law is NOT of faith Gal 3:12; which, in other words means that there is no relationship between law and faith, which in other words it means that, faith and Law REPELS.

I WILL HELP YOU WITH THE POST BELOW!

The ONLY thing that should make a christian to live rightly is not, LAW salvation prayer or believing in christ's finished, neither it is fear of hell fire(worst of all) as many christians do, but the LOVE of God that is poured in our heart. But, despite the love in our heart and we do something wrong, we are NOT condemned but justified in christ, because the christ's work justifies us not only when we do bad but FOREVER(both bad and good).

Finally, you asked if the law was abolished or fulfilled by jesus. But before I answer that(with 37 verses), I will give you a concise answer.

The law was ABOLISHED at the cross and at the same time FULFILLED in us at the resurrection, only if we believe.
Col 2:14; "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances(law written by moses) that was against us, which was contrary to us, TOOK IT OUT OF THE WAY and NAILED(abolished) it at the cross."

Rom 10:4 "For christ is the end of the law of righteousness to everyone that BELIEVETH(not believing and then, living according to the law)

Rom 8:4; "That the (abolished)law of righteousness might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh but after the spirit"

Please, I will like to explain that rom 8:4 very well to avoid you misinterpreting it.
Walking after the flesh doesn't never meant sin, because we sin everytime due to our inability to keep the law, but thanks to Jesus that he JUSTIFIES US. Walking in flesh means being carnally minded, having the thought that our salvation that was given to you as a gift cannot be maintained by faith alone but by faith + right living which leads you to
sin-concious, guilt-concious, trusting in your works of righteousness, living by law as to be seen righteous before God which finally give a product called FAILURE"

Walking in spirit doesn't mean; right living or holier-than-thou, NO! But living in the consciousness of your righteousness being FOREVER FREELY justified by christ, being grace conscious and refusing to frustrate the grace of God by trusting on your right living as a way of maintain the Gift of God which is eternal life. But please, how do you think that your righteousness can maintain what it was so filthy that it couldn't earn?

That verse is talking about the DEMAND of the law of righteousness, which is to make us righteous before God, being fulfilled in us. That's why we are made righteous by faith and not keeping of the law. No! Because christ took our penalty for our failure to keep the law and now the righteousness that we were striving for, has been established and made perfect in christ ALREADY.

And if paul was talking about living by the law then christ is in vain(the bible speaking), because up till now you still lack the ability to keep the 10 commandments and 630+ laws given in the old testament, even after the accepting the holyspirit.

Note that the law is against wearing clothes of diverse colours, sorts or wool, building of staircase, using balcony to build house, eating fish with scales and many more. Then if by that, as you are defending the law, we all are on or express way to hell.

So now when anyone believes in christ, the righteousness of Jesus is imputed on him by FAITH ONLY, any other way is an established righteousness. The righteousness of God(jesus) CANNOT be imputed on you by the way you live rightly, by faith(just believing the fact you are made righteous forever by him).

Read below my 37 verses proving it:
The law is an unbearable yoke. (Acts 15:10)

The law reveals sin but cannot fix it. (Romans 3:20)

If the law worked then faith would be irrelevant. (Romans 4:14)

The law brings wrath upon those who follow it. (Romans 4:15)

The purpose of the law was to increase sin. (Romans 5:20)

Christians are not under the law. (Romans 6:14)

Christians have been delivered from the law. (Romans 7:1-6)

The law is good, perfect and holy but cannot help you be good, perfect or holy. (Romans 7:7-12)

The law which promises life only brings death through sin. (Romans 7:10)

The law makes you sinful beyond measure. (Romans 7:13)

The law is weak. (Romans 8:2-3)

The strength of sin is the law (1 Corinthians 15:56)

The law is a ministry of death. (2 Corinthians 3:7)

The law is a ministry of condemnation. (2 Corinthians 3:9)

The law has no glory at all in comparison with the New Covenant. (2 Corinthians 3:10)

The law is fading away. (2 Corinthians 3:11)

Anywhere the law is preached it produces a mind-hardening and a heart-hardening veil. (2 Corinthians 3:14-15)

The law justifies nobody. (Galatians 2:16)

Christians are dead to the law. (Galatians 2:19)

The law frustrates grace. (Galatians 2:21)

To go back to the law after embracing faith is “stupid”.(Galatians 3:1)

The law curses all who practice it and fail to do it perfectly. (Galatians 3:10)

The law has nothing to do with faith. (Galatians 3:11-12)

The law was a curse that Christ redeemed us from. (Galatians 3:13)

The law functioned in God’s purpose as a temporary covenant from Moses till John the Baptist announced Christ. (Galatians 3:16 & 19, also see… Matthew 11:12-13, Luke 16:16)

If the law worked God would have used it to save us. (Galatians 3:21)

The law was our prison. (Galatians 3:23)

The law makes you a slave like Hagar. (Galatians 4:24)

Christ has abolished the law which was a wall of hostility (Ephesians 2:15)

Paul considered everything the law gained him as “skybalon” which is Greek for “poop”. (Philippians
3:4-cool

The law is only good if used in the right context. (1 Timothy 1:cool (see next verse for the context) It was made for the unrighteous but not for the righteous. (1 Timothy 1:9-10)

The law is weak, useless and makes nothing perfect. (Hebrews 7:18-19)

God has found fault with it and created a better covenant, enacted on better promises. (Hebrews
8:7-cool

It is obsolete, growing old and ready to vanish. (Hebrews 8:13)

It is only a shadow of good things to come and will never make someone perfect. (Hebrews 10:1)
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by promise101: 8:29am On Apr 30, 2016
Splinz:
Op, stop misleading people with heresies and twisted Scriptures. You simply do not know what you're saying. How can you say a Law described as "perfect", PSALM 19:7, has been done away or annulled? Listen, "So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good", ROMANS 7:12. Just when did this righteous Law became unrighteous? Again, the Lord said this, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them", MATTHEW 5:17. Surely, the Law has not been done away, but the lawless one has made professing Christians believed the contrary.

"The Ten Commandments were never referred to as the law of Moses, but rather the law of God. First, understand this! The law of Moses consisted of (1) the civil laws, which were statutes and judgments that Moses relayed to the people from God, recorded in Exodus 21-23 and in the remaining books of the law, and (2) the ritualistic laws (or Greek: ergon) that were added later, summarized in Hebrews 9:10. They were ordinances regulating the job of the tribe of Levi in temple service, sacrifices (Leviticus 1-7) and associated functions. The word ergon means “works,” as in the “works of the law” (such as in Galatians 2:16). This refers to the labor involving the Levitical rituals that were abolished by Christ’s sacrifice.
The Ten Commandments were already in force long before they were officially given to Israel at Mount Sinai and this will be demonstrated. In fact, these commandments have existed since the creation of man. The Ten Commandments were never part of the law of Moses (addressed more fully later) or the Levitical sacrificial system. The civil laws and sacrifices were based on God’s commands, which constitute the core of His laws. Thus, the Ten Commandments precede and transcend any and every lesser law or practice based upon them—statutes, judgments, precepts, and ordinances.
The Ten Commandments are God’s spiritual laws (Rom. 7:12, 14). They are just as active as the physical laws of gravity and inertia. Just as breaking physical laws results in physical consequences, breaking spiritual laws results in spiritual consequences.
Sin Defined
Most human beings either do not know of or do not like to be reminded of I John 3:4, which defines sin: “Whosoever commits sin transgresses also THE LAW: for sin is the transgression of THE LAW.” As the subject develops, you will come to see (in stages) the central connection between sin and the law.
Romans 6:23 states that “the wages of SIN is death.” Romans 5 explains, “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam’s transgression, who is the figure of Him that was to come)” (vs. 12-14).
In other words, Adam sinned. Sin is not imputed—does not apply—where there is no law (carefully read Romans 4:15). Death reigned from Adam to Moses. (Remember, death is the penalty for sin, which is defined as the transgression of the law.) The only way that Adam and his descendants could sin—break God’s spiritual law—is if God’s Law already existed! Without this law in place, no one could be guilty of sin.
Instead of rejecting sin, modern religionists reject the law. They view the law as a burden—they want to be free from keeping it. But notice the key lessons found in Romans 7:7: “What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. No, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, You shall not covet.” It is not the law that is at fault—and Paul is clearly citing one of the Ten Commandments—but sin. God reveals to us what sin is. He does this by His perfect law. On his own, man cannot discover God’s perfect law. God has to reveal and teach it to us". (Culled from: The Ten Commandments- Nailed to the cross or required for salvation?, by David C. Park).

So, there's nothing like "Law Of Love". There's no other way to express love except through the Law, yes! The Ten commandment is divided into two. The first four teaches man how to love his Creator, while the remaining six teaches man how to love his fellow man. It is on this note that it is written, "Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law", ROMANS 13:10. Cleared! You can only talk of love when you've fulfilled (keep) the Law.

Finally, " The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God, and keep his commandments; for this is the WHOLE duty of man", ECCLESIASTES 12:13.
What is this clueless christian talking about?

Take this first;

Ephesians 2:15 King James Version (KJV);"Having ABOLISHED in his flesh the enmity, even the LAW OF COMMANDMENTS(10 commandments) contained in ordinances(630 laws); for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;"
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Joagbaje(m): 8:32am On Apr 30, 2016
promise101:

My friend, you are just a confused christian filled with modern church contradiction.

A ah ! Na fight? . Just present your case and exit the thread. There's no room for insults . Try excersice fruit of the spirit pls . Even if you think I am wrong. Try put the love message you profess to work in your life first .

2 Timothy 2:24-25
24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

You are trying to say that we are not under the law, but we have to keep them.
Listen to yourself and know how confused you sound. Doesn't that look contradictory to you?
We are not expected to obey those law for the PURPOSE of looking righteous before God. But if you try to keep them to look righteous before God, then God will make you accursed. Why? Because you don't have the capacity to keep all written in it.

The moral principles of the law existed before the law. But were not written . They were handed down by mouth. The law is a document for reference.

Can I ask you a question . What is sin?
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Joagbaje(m): 8:37am On Apr 30, 2016
Peritus:

It's either that you didn't read the post, or that your opinion was formed before you read it.

He certainly didn't . He just got bias by the title . It is said never judge a book by title . Your post was objective to a great extent
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by promise101: 8:40am On Apr 30, 2016
Splinz:

Sin Defined

Sorry man, you seem to be very blind!

You guys will always quote matt 5:17-18, without knowing what the verse means!

Matt 5:17-18;"Matthew 5:17-18 Amplified Bible (AMP) “Do not think that I came to do away with or
undo the Law [of Moses] or the [writings of
the] Prophets; I did not come to destroy but to
fulfill. For I assure you and most solemnly say
to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the
smallest letter or stroke [of the pen] will pass
from the Law UNTIL ALL THINGS ARE FULFILLED"

What jesus was saying was that he will not abolish the law UNTIL all things are fulfilled.

In other words, when all things are fulfilled, then the law can be abolished.

Note: all things were fulfilled at the ressurection of Jesus. After his resurrection see what he told his disciples in Luke 24:44.

The law is good, perfect and holy but cannot help you be good, perfect or holy. (Romans 7:7-12)

The law has no glory at all in comparison with the New Covenant. (2 Corinthians 3:10)

Anywhere the law is preached it produces a mind-hardening and a heart-hardening veil. (2 Corinthians 3:14-15)

The law curses all who practice it and fail to do it perfectly. (Galatians 3:10)

The law functioned in God’s purpose as a temporary covenant from Moses till John the Baptist announced Christ. (Galatians 3:16 & 19, also see… Matthew 11:12-13, Luke 16:16)

Paul considered everything the law gained him as “skybalon” which is Greek for “poop”. (Philippians

The law is only good if used in the right context. (1 Timothy 1:cool (see next verse for the context) It was made for the unrighteous but not for the righteous. (1 Timothy 1:9-10)

God has found fault with it and created a better covenant, enacted on better promises. (Hebrews

It is only a shadow of good things to come and will never make someone perfect. (Hebrews 10:1)

So, you should know that both of you are on the same track of heresy!
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by promise101: 8:50am On Apr 30, 2016
Joagbaje:

A ah ! Na fight? . Just present your case and exit the thread. There's no room for insults . Try excersice fruit of the spirit pls . Even if you think I am wrong. Try put the love message you profess to work in your life first .

2 Timothy 2:24-25
24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

The moral principles of the law existed before the law. But were not written . They were handed down by mouth. The law is a document for reference.

Can I ask you a question . What is sin?
You are now talking about conscience as a moral principle of the law!

Please, quote any scripture to back it up!

Don't use fake imaginations to judge the bible!

What ever you make call law; all the bible says is that it is abolished. And I gave you biblical proofs, so if you can't give biblical proofs, then your points may be flawed.

You have any problem with that?

Remember paul said, if he the law didn't say thou shall not covet, he wouldn't have know what lust is.
And he went on to say that in the law lies the knowledge and power of sin. Read it in Rom 7

Sin means trespass over a set of rules and standard.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by promise101: 9:25am On Apr 30, 2016
I have open a new thread for any question on grace.
https://www.nairaland.com/3077636/grace-preacher-answer-all-questions
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by DoctorAlien(m): 1:11pm On Apr 30, 2016
promise101:

What ever you make call law; all the bible says is that it is abolished. And I gave you biblical proofs, so if you can't give biblical proofs, then your points may be flawed.

Remember paul said, if he the law didn't say thou shall not covet, he wouldn't have know what lust is.
And he went on to say that in the law lies the knowledge and power of sin. Read it in Rom 7

Read 1 Jn. 3:4. Tell me what you think.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Splinz(m): 3:44pm On Apr 30, 2016
promise101:

Sorry man, you seem to be very blind!

You guys will always quote matt 5:17-18, without knowing what the verse means!

Matt 5:17-18;"Matthew 5:17-18 Amplified Bible (AMP) “Do not think that I came to do away with or
undo the Law [of Moses] or the [writings of
the] Prophets; I did not come to destroy but to
fulfill. For I assure you and most solemnly say
to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the
smallest letter or stroke [of the pen] will pass
from the Law UNTIL ALL THINGS ARE FULFILLED"

What jesus was saying was that he will not abolish the law UNTIL all things are fulfilled.

In other words, when all things are fulfilled, then the law can be abolished.

Note: all things were fulfilled at the ressurection of Jesus. After his resurrection see what he told his disciples in Luke 24:44.

So, you should know that both of you are on the same track of heresy!

What is sin?
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Splinz(m): 3:47pm On Apr 30, 2016
promise101:

What is this clueless christian talking about?

Take this first;

Ephesians 2:15 King James Version (KJV);"Having ABOLISHED in his flesh the enmity, even the LAW OF COMMANDMENTS(10 commandments) contained in ordinances(630 laws); for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;"

What is sin?
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by promise101: 6:10pm On Apr 30, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Read 1 Jn. 3:4. Tell me what you think.
That's same thing with what I said; that sin is a trespass against some set of rules and standard.

Transgression is ONLY considered when there is law.

Now, I have given verses to prove that Jesus abolished the law. That's why paul said that sin is not imputed on a man when there is no law!

Rom 5:13;"13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is NOT IMPUTED when there is no law."

Anybody who believes in jesus, his eternal sins shall be forgiven and justified by the death of christ.
His sins shall God remember no more because it is not be imputed on him.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:10pm On Apr 30, 2016
promise101:

That's same thing with what I said; that sin is a trespass against some set of rules and standard.

Now, I have given verses to prove that Jesus abolished the law. That's why paul said that sin is not imputed on a man when there is no law!

Rom 5:13;"13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is NOT IMPUTED when there is no law."

Anybody who believes in jesus, his eternal sins shall be forgiven and justified by the death of christ.

Is there no more law?

Also, what you mean by "eternal sins"?
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Splinz(m): 8:19pm On Apr 30, 2016
promise101:

Excuse me, you son of lawlessness! Wouldn't you stop twisting the word of truth? That Scripture clearly stated that sin is the transgression of the law, not some set of rules and standard!

Foolishly enough, you've admitted that sin is only imputed when there is Law, but the Law has been done away. In essence, you're saying that there's no more sin! For since the Law has been taken away, then sin too is gone! What delusion!!!

Yes, laws were done away, and those laws were the ritualistic laws of the Levitical priesthood, e.g, slaughtering of animals during the passover, circumcision, etc, which the bible called "works of the law" in GALATIANS 2:16. But the Ten commandment stands forever, because it is perfect, holy, righteous and good! (Psalm 19:7, Romans 7:12). How can a Law described in this manner be abolished, why? Repent!!!
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Splinz(m): 8:24pm On Apr 30, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Is there no more law?

Also, what you mean by "eternal sins"?

Pray for the delusional mind! How can a supposed Christian say there's no more sin? Because saying that the Law has been done away, it therefore mean that there's no more sin! "For where there's no Law, sin is not imputed!"
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:35pm On Apr 30, 2016
Splinz:

Pray for the delusional mind! How can a supposed Christian say there's no more sin? Because saying that the Law has been done away, it therefore mean that there's no more sin! "For where there's no Law, sin is not imputed!"

It is really disheartening that a lot of false and misleading doctrines are now being preached today. Satan and his evil agents are really working tirelessly, trying to lead men into disobedience to GOD's law.

I indeed pray that the Holy Spirit will enlighten him to recognise and accept the truth so clearly expressed in the word of GOD.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Joagbaje(m): 10:38pm On Apr 30, 2016
promise101:

The only problem with law is that a man should not seek to be justified by it period. Enmity of the law or condemnation of the law is connected to man seeking to be justified by deed of the law.

But my point is still that the law is the law of God and Gods principles are reveled there law gives the foundation of wrong and right .

Have you observed that paul quote the law in his epistles many times as references and illustrations .

Ephesians 6:2-3
2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise 3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

Romans 12:19
19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

The works of the law are not the problem . It's the use that may be the problem .

What rules ? That's too generic . What is sin to a christian?
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Splinz(m): 11:02pm On Apr 30, 2016
DoctorAlien:

It is really disheartening that a lot of false and misleading doctrines are now being preached today. Satan and his evil agents are really working tirelessly, trying to lead men into disobedience to GOD's law.

I indeed pray that the Holy Spirit will enlighten him to recognise and accept the truth so clearly expressed in the word of GOD.

Yeah bro. You see, Apostle Paul actually talked of the "...spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience", EPHESIANS 2:2. Truly, this spirit is really at work!

Fine! We're free from the Law. Then lets kill, steal, fornicate, commit adultery, worship any god of our choice, etc. After all, hasn't the Law been done away, and we, freed from its penalty? Isn't the Law not binding any more? What delusion!

Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ wrote, "For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a LICENSE for unrighteousness and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord", JUDE 1:4. Indeed, these ungodly people have turned the grace of God into a license to break the Law.

You know the saddest thing? They don't want to repent! But always looking for Scriptural verses and chapters to quote out of context, in order to support their already preconceived ideas. So sad.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by DoctorAlien(m): 11:42pm On Apr 30, 2016
Splinz:

Yeah bro. You see, Apostle Paul actually talked of the "...spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience", EPHESIANS 2:2. Truly, this spirit is really at work!

Fine! We're free from the Law. Then lets kill, steal, fornicate, commit adultery, worship any god of our choice, etc. After all, hasn't the Law been done away, and we, freed from its penalty? Isn't the Law not binding any more? What delusion!

Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ wrote, "For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a LICENSE for unrighteousness and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord", JUDE 1:4. Indeed, these ungodly people have turned the grace of God into a license to break the Law.

Exactly bro! Suffice it to say that the accuracy with which Jude mirrors the activities of these false preachers is striking.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by ichuka(m): 12:03am On May 01, 2016
Observe which/how many law?
There are over 300 laws in the OT.how many do we even know?better still how can you observe what you don't know or understand?knowing fully well that if you broke one you are guilty of all.....For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.James2:10
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by MrPresident1: 12:13am On May 01, 2016
Lamentations 2:9
9 Her gates are sunk into the ground; he hath destroyed and broken her bars: her king and her princes are among the Gentiles: the law is no more; her prophets also find no vision from the Lord.

This is Israel wailing that the Law is no more, Jesus says the summary of the law is to love the Lord God completely, and love your neighbour as yourself. Love is the fulfilment of the commandment.

Yet you see complete lack of understanding among folks who continur to strenuously insist that the Law cannot/shouldnot be observed.

If you do not observe the law, you are a zombie hecause the Spirit of God is not in you. You cannot love, and you remain a beast.

Peter advised that there were a few things difficult to understand in Paul's teachings, and warned against those who would twist these things to their own injury.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by DoctorAlien(m): 12:19am On May 01, 2016
ichuka:
Observe which/how many law?
There are over 300 laws in the OT.how many do we even know?better still how can you observe what you don't know or understand?knowing fully well that if you broke one you are guilty of all.....For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.James2:10

There are two sets of laws in the old testament: the moral law (the decalogue or the 10 Commandments) and the ceremonial laws(which are over 600). They were never confused one for the other. They were even kept separate in the ark of the covenant. (See Exod. 25:16; Deut. 31:9, 24-26).

The ceremonial laws included sacrificial killings, washings and many other rites which pointed to the great antitype, Jesus Christ, and as such were done away with at His death.

However, GOD still requires obedience to the 10 Commandments from Christians.
Re: Should Believers Observe The Law? by Splinz(m): 12:38am On May 01, 2016
MrPresident1:
Lamentations 2:9
9 Her gates are sunk into the ground; he hath destroyed and broken her bars: her king and her princes are among the Gentiles: the law is no more; her prophets also find no vision from the Lord.

This is Israel wailing that the Law is no more, Jesus says the summary of the law is to love the Lord God completely, and love your neighbour as yourself. Love is the fulfilment of the commandment.

Yet you see complete lack of understanding among folks who continur to strenuously insist that the Law cannot/shouldnot be observed.

If you do not observe the law, you are a zombie hecause the Spirit of God is not in you. You cannot love, and you remain a beast.

Peter advised that there were a few things difficult to understand in Paul's teachings, and warned against those who would twist these things to their own injury.

Right! Op has talked excessively on love and even ascribed a law, "law of love" to it. Yet, he doesn't understand a thing about the said subject!

Indeed, love is one of the most trumpeted subject around the world, by both religious and political leaders, yet you find love nowhere! Why? Because the knowledge of the subject and its origin has been rejected!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Experience With A Christian: A Lesson In Religious Tolerance / ** Modes Of Operation Of Witches And Wizards ** / Mene, Mene, Tekel, Upharsin.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.