Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:19 PM

Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet (5708 Views)

Let's Talk About Animals On Our Planet(Photos). / What Is The Most Important Thing On An Exam Question Paper. / When You See These Insects You Will Doubt You Have Born On The Right Planet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by ituglobal(m): 11:06pm On Apr 28, 2016
Immortal Jellyfish: The Only Known Species Known to Live Forever

While the humans have been looking for the elixir of life throughout every period of history, it appears that there is one species of jellyfish that are actually immortal. Turritopsis nutricula, or sometimes – Turritopsis dohrnii, is able to transform its cells from mature state back to immaturity, in other words – back to youth. The medusa leads a regular cycle of life, but after maturing and mating, it reverts back to its initial state – a polyp colony. The process is referred to as “transdifferentiation”, and it basically makes the jellyfish unable to die.

The bell-shaped immortal jellyfish measures up to a maximum of bout 4.5 millimeters (0.18 in) and is about the same in its length and width. Originating in the Caribbean, it has now spread worldwide, and the discovery of its unique ability has heated up many discussions among the scientists. Some claim that their mystery is soon to be solved and applied to humans, while others only expect it to improve the quality of life at our final stages. Either way, knowing that something out there goes back and forth from being young to old to young again, blows your mind!

Source: http://www.boredpanda.com/turritopsis-nutricula-immortal-jellyfish/

Neteller here: www..com.ng

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by babyfaceafrica: 11:16pm On Apr 28, 2016
Pics?
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by bammy00(m): 11:59pm On Apr 28, 2016
Its nice to see educative posts sometimes. Thanks Op

3 Likes

Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by psucc(m): 12:37am On Apr 29, 2016
Imagine our Senators becoming young again to live and enjoy the money they have made in the world's most expensive bills. OR

Our Govs, Ministers and President becoming young again and continue to enjoy.

I know this is for sure the only research that will attract African leaders' attention with a view to apply same to them.

But I thank God for death.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by Presbulg(m): 12:51am On Apr 29, 2016
Well, I didn't sea that coming
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by matrix199(m): 5:19am On Apr 29, 2016
It has everything to live for in the caribbean sea. I'd like to see the Jellyfish live forever in oil spilled rivers like those in the Niger-Delta region.

3 Likes

Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by EbiJUNIRO(m): 5:38am On Apr 29, 2016
story of the day
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by KingRex1(m): 6:21am On Apr 29, 2016
Yea it does blow my mind. Bt the post says nothin bou it been killed by an external cause it only talks of maturity nd old age

Hahaha, Matrix199 i see ur point, i doubt if its gon thrive there.
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by Segadem(m): 6:41am On Apr 29, 2016
[size=14pt]immortal fish? [/size]
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by ibullem(m): 6:48am On Apr 29, 2016
matrix199:
It has everything to live for in the caribbean sea. I'd like to see the Jellyfish live forever in oil spilled rivers like those in the Niger-Delta region.

Hahaha... You right man cheesy

I can only believe this immortal Shi.t if it survives my mama's red hot groundnut oil grin
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 29, 2016
Wonderful discovery

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by jtwest(m): 9:16am On Apr 29, 2016
Forever young, I wanna be forever young........................ Do you really want to live forever, forever and ever.
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by nrexzy: 9:35am On Apr 29, 2016
Scientist would try Human Mutation Using This sample.
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by osesology(m): 9:57am On Apr 29, 2016
Op, how about male snakes or are there no male snakes?
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by isacolukay(m): 10:02am On Apr 29, 2016
#With_U_I_Stand
#TeamLanicky

Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by blazer234: 11:54am On Apr 29, 2016
skarlett:
Wonderful discovery

What are the criteria for winning? Just pair of suckable boobs and pair of big asss or facial looks or brain?
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by Nobody: 12:00pm On Apr 29, 2016
blazer234:

What are the criteria for winning? Just pair of suckable boobs and pair of big asss or facial looks or brain?

Its more than that I can assure you; beauty, brains, wit and an astute campaign team... And the best part is Lanicky has got it covered wink Join the winning team today

1 Share

Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by yungryce: 12:40pm On Apr 29, 2016
pictures please
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by Adex097: 2:11pm On Apr 29, 2016
But they've got no brains. Death is better than being brainless forever. undecided
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by 3rdlegxxx(m): 2:12pm On Apr 29, 2016
skarlett:

Its more than that I can assure you; beauty, brains, wit and an astute campaign team... And the best part is Lanicky has got it covered wink Join the winning team today

Like seriously who is Lanicky? whats her handle.... angry
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by minasota(f): 2:36pm On Apr 29, 2016
isacolukay:
#With_U_I_Stand #TeamLanicky
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by isacolukay(m): 3:20pm On Apr 29, 2016
minasota:

shocked
Join the team young lady!

1 Like

Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 29, 2016
Its not imortal if it can be killed sad
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by stakoj: 5:43pm On Apr 29, 2016
It is not automatic that you have to change lane immediately you signal your intention by pointing to the direction you intend to go because you believe the upcoming vehicle will wait, absolute “NO”. check this post out; http://stakoj..com.ng/2016/04/rascality-two-careless-driving-in.html
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by ghostofsparta(m): 5:05am On Apr 30, 2016
MetaHuman:
Its not imortal if it can be killed sad
Then what can we call something/being if it can't be killed ? Invincible ? Inhuman ?

ituglobal:
Immortal Jellyfish: The Only Known Species Known to Live Forever
While the humans have been looking for the elixir of life throughout every period of history, it appears that there is one species of jellyfish that are actually immortal. Turritopsis nutricula, or sometimes – Turritopsis dohrnii, is able to transform its cells from mature state back to immaturity, in other words – back to youth. The medusa leads a regular cycle of life, but after maturing and mating, it reverts back to its initial state – a polyp colony. The process is referred to as “transdifferentiation”, and it basically makes the jellyfish unable to die.
The bell-shaped immortal jellyfish measures up to a maximum of bout 4.5 millimeters (0.18 in) and is about the same in its length and width. Originating in the Caribbean, it has now spread worldwide, and the discovery of its unique ability has heated up many discussions among the scientists. Some claim that their mystery is soon to be solved and applied to humans, while others only expect it to improve the quality of life at our final stages. Either way, knowing that something out there goes back and forth from being young to old to young again, blows your mind!
Source: http://www.boredpanda.com/turritopsis-nutricula-immortal-jellyfish/
Neteller here: www..com.ng
Some of our wise Yoruba/African ancestors in their deep metaphysical venture came up with ways to defeat, by-pass and death-skip death, so don't think the concept of immortality which is scientifically exciting to western scholar of todays world is nothing new to few of us who still comb-through those things history claimed as 'primitive' of what our fore-fathers believed-in in their bias to ridicule, demonize and denigrate our believe system. To get a tidbit of what I'm talking about... click here to read IMMORTALITY - Paranormal or Science
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by herald9: 6:51am On Apr 30, 2016
ghostofsparta:

Then what can we call something/being if it can't be killed ? Invincible ? Inhuman ?

Some of our wise Yoruba/African ancestors in their deep metaphysical venture came up with ways to defeat, by-pass and death-skip death, so don't think the concept of immortality which is scientifically exciting to western scholar of todays world is nothing new to few of us who still comb-through those things history claimed as 'primitive' of what our fore-fathers believed-in in their bias to ridicule, demonize and denigrate our believe system. To get a tidbit of what I'm talking about... click here to read IMMORTALITY - Paranormal or Science
There's an error in that address.. Do rectify it, thanks.
Re: Here’s The Only Biologically Immortal Living Thing On This Planet by herald9: 6:52am On Apr 30, 2016
psucc:
Imagine our Senators becoming young again to live and enjoy the money they have made in the world's most expensive bills. OR

Our Govs, Ministers and President becoming young again and continue to enjoy.

I know this is for sure the only research that will attract African leaders' attention with a view to apply same to them.

But I thank God for death.
That's brutal grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Proposed Islamic School Destroyed In Plateau Village / 25 Rare Photographs That Shed Light On What Life Was Like In The Past / Examdirect-Question And Answer Cds For Ican, Jme And Ssce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.