Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,426 members, 7,822,972 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate (15788 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Receives Honorary Degree From University Of Edinburgh / Chimamanda Adichie At Johns Hopkins University For African Conference (Photos) / Chimamanda Adichie At The Foreign Affairs Symposium At Johns Hopkins (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by amanze15(m): 8:02pm On May 01, 2016
this is huge shocked
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by litetias(m): 8:06pm On May 01, 2016
I will celebrate this because Johns Hopkins is among the top ten in the world and Chi has actually contributed a lasting legacy to the arts.

Unlike celebrating that Drake posted a pic of Wizkid on his Instagram.

Smh for youths of nowadays

1 Like

Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by zemaik(m): 8:16pm On May 01, 2016
If I am not wrong, I think she rather won the hearts of America when she criticized Nigerian anti-gay bill. Nevetheless, congratulations to my heat trob.
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by Nnachuka(m): 8:19pm On May 01, 2016
I'm with this babe hundred percent. But I just slashed 75% cos of the feminism thing makes no sense. But a big fan nonetheless. Love you! Wish we could meet someday so I could pry your mind
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by Google63(m): 8:23pm On May 01, 2016
calliope:
ADICHIE has done so well for herself........ Kudos to her,
One question I wud have love to ask her tho, why did she end kainene character..... Why not Olanna undecided
Olanna was married, and her daughter, husband and Ugwu would be affected by her death.
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by PrinceAfo911(m): 8:31pm On May 01, 2016
my role model thumbs up to her.
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by KingRex1(m): 8:49pm On May 01, 2016
Great indeed
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by Mayflowa(m): 8:57pm On May 01, 2016
OBTMOS:
I love dis lady, send me dis kind woman na Baba God

Can. You handle her? She is a mass of intelligence and question the norms you enjoy as a man. You will.be a dead duck by the time she finish with you.

Go build yourself. Develop your brain power before you start looking for a woman close to her grin

2 Likes

Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by MyNose: 9:15pm On May 01, 2016
EgusiSoup:
Yoruba people making us proud around all over the whole while world.

Congratulations to a distinguish daughter of the Yoruba race smiley

You must be high on a very cheap weeds. Yoruba indeed. .........yeye dey smell.
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by MyNose: 9:18pm On May 01, 2016
EgusiSoup:
Yoruba people making us proud around all over the whole while world.

Congratulations to a distinguish daughter of the Yoruba race smiley

You must be high on a very cheap weeds. Yoruba indeed.
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by chibazzy1: 9:19pm On May 01, 2016
CHIMAMANDA, we the people of Abba in Njikoka L.G.A, Anambra State, Nigeria are very proud of you! Keep it up.
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by benedictuyi(m): 9:33pm On May 01, 2016
i read her book americanah. and i loved it... she's a super writer
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by OBTMOS(m): 9:40pm On May 01, 2016
Mayflowa:

Can. You handle her? She is a mass of intelligence and question the norms you enjoy as a man. You will.be a dead duck by the time she finish with you.

Go build yourself. Develop your brain power before you start looking for a woman close to her grin

makes me love her
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by Jonzingmaster(m): 9:43pm On May 01, 2016
I still insist that my unborn daughter would definitely bear that name...chimamanda!
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by Favolly(f): 10:07pm On May 01, 2016
calliope:
One question I wud have love to ask her tho, why did she end kainene character..... Why not Olanna undecided
Lol! Move on already tongue
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by calliope(f): 10:27pm On May 01, 2016
Favolly:

Lol! Move on already tongue
I have grin
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by calliope(f): 10:28pm On May 01, 2016
Emmahunk:

What difference would it really have made? The whole stuff was about Olanna after all.
Or what do you think?
She gave kainene a distinctive role, at d latter of the story, in a descriptive form.... Even tho Olanna is d protagonist of the whole story,
Why kill of Kainene character like Dat? embarassed
Gotten over it tho.. But she deserved a happy ending dats all I am saying.
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by Nobody: 10:31pm On May 01, 2016
Half a yellow sun, purple hibiscus, she's talented abeg, my mentor, keep making us proud.

1 Like

Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by Justycxx(m): 10:54pm On May 01, 2016
EgusiSoup:

Her mum is igbo and her father is Yoruba. I knows her roots to the bottom. Do your research very well before arguing with people that knows their onions undecided
you know nothing about her
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by Detayo7(m): 11:00pm On May 01, 2016
Adichie came almost fully made. congrats
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by Emmahunk(m): 11:05pm On May 01, 2016
calliope:

She gave kainene a distinctive role, at d latter of the story, in a descriptive form.... Even tho Olanna is d protagonist of the whole story,
Why kill of Kainene character like Dat? embarassed
Gotten over it tho.. But she deserved a happy ending dats all I am saying.

I guess you are right but Kainene actually was not a very happy woman having had to share the man she loved so much with a sister she loved equally very much. Let's say, she can be likened to today's career woman who will rather bury herself in work or business rather than brood over the past.
By the way, the way you sound, it's clear that just like me, YOU can write on the return of Kainene. Yes, sure, we were not even told that she died. What if she had ran off with a Nigerian soldier to pay her man and sister back in their own coins? Like I said, you might be right. She sure deserved better.
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by calliope(f): 11:29pm On May 01, 2016
Emmahunk:

I guess you are right but Kainene actually was not a very happy woman having had to share the man she loved so much with a sister she loved equally very much. Let's say, she can be likened to today's career woman who will rather bury herself in work or business rather than brood over the past.
By the way, the way you sound, it's clear that just like me, YOU can write on the return of Kainene. Yes, sure, we were not even told that she died. What if she had ran off with a Nigerian soldier to pay her man and sister back in their own coins? Like I said, you might be right. She sure deserved better.
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by calliope(f): 11:32pm On May 01, 2016
Emmahunk:

Uhm.......... I wish I could actually give back life into her character, but I guess ADICHIE knew better.....
Seem you're a big fan of ADICHIE?
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by Mezuzah(m): 11:36pm On May 01, 2016
Her Father was the first professor of Statistics in Nigeria, She is from Abba in Njikoka LGA of Anambra State

1 Like

Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by MentalCase(m): 1:45am On May 02, 2016
To be? undecided
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by MentalCase(m): 1:45am On May 02, 2016
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by Emmahunk(m): 7:27am On May 02, 2016
calliope:

Uhm.......... I wish I could actually give back life into her character, but I guess ADICHIE knew better.....
Seem you're a big fan of ADICHIE?

Sure I am. After reading Purple Hibiscus, she got me hooked with half of a yellow sun. For someone like me that has read a lot of books on the Civil War including Fredrick Forsyth's 'last plane from Uli', Chimamanda told the story in such a different way that I didn't realize she was even talking about the war. She is not of this age and time.
Guess, you are a fan also. Welcome on board.
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by kobonaire(m): 7:58am On May 02, 2016
sarzy:
Seems she is getting this award mainly due to her role in feminism, and not the writing stuff. None of her books has yet to win the Booker Prize.
Why are you an EP like this??
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by wackpoet(m): 9:11am On May 02, 2016
calliope:
Because the name Kainene is cryptic - in relation to the novel - Only those who understand Igbo can get it
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by ValentineMary(m): 10:06am On May 02, 2016
She is an icon to geniuses in general. She deserves d recognition.

BTW I saw something contradictory in her novel Half of a yellow sun If Odenigbo was an atheist,why did he invoke d rain maker on his wedding day
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by calliope(f): 4:54pm On May 02, 2016
wackpoet:

Because the name Kainene is cryptic - in relation to the novel - Only those who understand Igbo can get it
so are you implying her name played a distinctive role than the character? cos kainene is translated looking up to GOD, cant really reconile the function her name played in expressing the character undecided and for th record i understand d Ibo language and its cosmology cool
Re: Johns Hopkins University To Award Adichie Honorary Doctorate by calliope(f): 5:13pm On May 02, 2016
Emmahunk:

Sure I am. After reading Purple Hibiscus, she got me hooked with half of a yellow sun. For someone like me that has read a lot of books on the Civil War including Fredrick Forsyth's 'last plane from Uli', Chimamanda told the story in such a different way that I didn't realize she was even talking about the war. She is not of this age and time.
Guess, you are a fan also. Welcome on board.
ofcourse she isn"t, i find her illustrative insight about the war fanscinating, especially coming from a woman"s perspective (olanna), Am a big fan!!! tho had d yearning wanting to knw more about d war lead me to chinue achebe's There was a country... where he vivdly gave a detailed experience . wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Game Of Love And Obsession / Top 5 Nairaland Crime Stories / Chimamanda Adichie At Johns Hopkins University For African Conference (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.