Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,651 members, 7,809,457 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

Chemical & Process Engineers Forum - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chemical & Process Engineers Forum (79844 Views)

Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! / AEROSPACE ENGINEERS FORUM : Spacecraft, Aircraft Experts. / Mechanical Engineers Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 1:38pm On Aug 10, 2009
Hi just thought it would be a grand idea to have a rendezvous for all process/chemical/petro-chem engineers to share experiences etc.
So whether you're into Upstream/Mid-sstream or downstream Oil & Gas, LNG or refining let's have your experience, questions and what have u

xx

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 2:36pm On Aug 10, 2009
x
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by safetyman1: 9:05pm On Aug 11, 2009
I'm a Process Safety Engineer based in Surrey, UK. What's the job prospect like in Naija for a process safety/loss prevention expert?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 4:36pm On Aug 12, 2009
Good question, unfortunately i'm based in UK as well so can't really give a definite answer.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 11:24am On Aug 20, 2009
x
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by omoruyi56: 4:41am On Aug 23, 2009
@ debest1! I'm presently in the Uk. and I'm looking for a job in chemical/ process engineering, I just concluded an Msc. in ChemEng. Any advice or leads for me?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 11:41am On Aug 24, 2009
omoruyi56:

@ debest1! I'm presently in the Uk. and I'm looking for a job in chemical/ process engineering, I just concluded an Msc. in ChemEng. Any advice or leads for me?
omoruyi56, tnx for your msg, the market is a bit slow at the moment, i know quite a few process engineers who have been out of work since December 2008. I guess what would determing your chances is the number of experience you have, also what projects have you worked on prior to your Msc; e.g. Upstream/downstream, LNG, refinery etc
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by omoruyi56: 7:05pm On Aug 24, 2009
I have less than a year experience in the upstream /downstream sector and about 3yrs in manufacturing prior to my Msc. I actually embarked on getting an Msc. to change career path. But it seems to be even harder getting a foot in the door than I imagined, I thought of going to Nigeria but my experience during NYSC wasn't the best especially with basically no industrial experience. I am hoping to get a shot overhere even if its contracting with the agencies.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 9:29am On Aug 25, 2009
omoruyi56:

I have less than a year experience in the upstream /downstream sector and about 3yrs in manufacturing prior to my Msc. I actually embarked on getting an Msc. to change career path. But it seems to be even harder getting a foot in the door than I imagined, I thought of going to Nigeria but my experience during NYSC wasn't the best especially with basically no industrial experience. I am hoping to get a shot overhere even if its contracting with the agencies.
Unfortunately, its a lot harder here especially the oil and gas sector. About 3 yrs ago, they would have been begging you to come work for them, but since about a year ago the number of oil and gas projects has dropped drastically partly due to the oil price, as a result there are hundreds of process engineers out there some with over 20yrs experience who cannot even get a look-in. My advice is that you keep an open mind as per location, and role as well try and go for staff riole as this gives you the opportunity to get involved and develop as well. The contract role is for people who have the experience and are in it for the cash. Even then these contract roles are very scarce.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by omoruyi56: 2:54pm On Aug 25, 2009
dbest! this is absolutely discouraging grin. What options does a brother have now after all the degrees and limited opportunity to gain experience? Manufacturing sector is almost a disaster. Anyway the struggle continues, thanks a bunch for the tip.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2009
omoruyi56:

dbest! this is absolutely discouraging grin. What options does a brother have now after all the degrees and limited opportunity to gain experience? Manufacturing sector is almost a disaster. Anyway the struggle continues, thanks a bunch for the tip.
Haba dont be discouraged oh, and am sorry if i painted a gloomy picture. Its just that at the moment so many process engineers are out of work, most o&g co in uk is oil price driven, and at the moment its not high enough for them to execute the projects they have, hence the EPC companies are not hiring. Keep looking my bro. like I said the best move for u at the moment is to go 4 a staff role, get a few yrs experience then you can call the shots as per contract rates at what have u.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by omoruyi56: 4:01pm On Aug 25, 2009
I am sorry when you say staff role you mean?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 4:14pm On Aug 25, 2009
omoruyi56:

I am sorry when you say staff role you mean?
full time staff and not agency or limited company contract.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 01, 2009
I'm a young chemical engineering undergraduate in one of d nigeria universities.I plan 2 go 4 my masters imediately after my 1st degree.where cn i work after my educational pursuit?which is beta MBA or Master in chem. Engr.?wat extra certificates cn i get 2 b an hot cake in d labour market? I'll b waiting 4 ur luvly replies.much luv.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by courage89(m): 6:38am On Sep 02, 2009
@ vickipad

There are so many companies that employ Chem E's. Starting with Oil & Gas, food industries, biotech, pharmaceutics, cement manufacturing, mining, consulting firms , the lists goes on.

If you're able to secure a full time position after graduation as chemical/process engineer, I'll say work for the company for about 2-4 years and go for your MBA. If after graduation, you're having difficulty securing employment as a Chem E, you can start your master in chemical engineering. I believe going forward, you'll need a business degree to market yourself better.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 9:45am On Sep 02, 2009
vickipad:

I'm a young chemical engineering undergraduate in one of d nigeria universities.I plan 2 go 4 my masters imediately after my 1st degree.where cn i work after my educational pursuit?which is beta MBA or Master in chem. Engr.?wat extra certificates cn i get 2 b an hot cake in d labour market? I'll b waiting 4 your luvly replies.much luv.
Vicki, it difficult for me to give a straight answer to some of the questions you've posed; for a start, whether you go for an MSc or MBA depends on what your aspirations are. Do you want to forge a career as a chemical engineer, and then walk your way up to management level in the industry? Then an MSc in chem eng or related subjects like safety, petroleum eng, offshore etc is recommended. Personally, i dont think its advisable for a fresh graduate without any industry experience to do an MBA, except of course you are thinking of changing your career path into a management related field.

My take on this is that u do an MSc, gain 4-5yrs experience in the field and then seek a move into management if you so desire.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by calyx: 2:37pm On Sep 02, 2009
Hi House,

Pls am scheduled to do an exam that has to do with chemical/ process engineering - mainly bachelors degree level and mainly calculations. I studied materials engineering for my bachelors anyway.

Could anyone help me with materials to prepare for this exam. possibly downloadable materials. Thanks
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 3:06pm On Sep 02, 2009
calyx:

Hi House,

Pls am scheduled to do an exam that has to do with chemical/ process engineering - mainly bachelors degree level and mainly calculations. I studied materials engineering for my bachelors anyway.

Could anyone help me with materials to prepare for this exam. possibly downloadable materials. Thanks
what subjects are u taking? separation, kinetics, transfer theory let me know and i'll see if i can help
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by calyx: 3:26pm On Sep 02, 2009
what subjects are u taking? separation, kinetics, transfer theory let me know and i'll see if i can help

Am not sure its broken down into subject bits. The exam is supposedly a make up of everything a process/ chemical engineer should have studied in bachelors level. This is to test your competence to do a masters degree in the field.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 3:42pm On Sep 02, 2009
calyx:

Am not sure its broken down into subject bits. The exam is supposedly a make up of everything a process/ chemical engineer should have studied in bachelors level. This is to test your competence to do a masters degree in the field.
In that case, i'd look at separation processes like Distillation, G-L separation, L-L, also mass transfer, kinetics, process control all these can be found via
1) google
2) eng-tips.com
3)www.cheresources.com
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by calyx: 4:12pm On Sep 02, 2009
In that case, i'd look at separation processes like Distillation, G-L separation, L-L, also mass transfer, kinetics, process control all these can be found via
1) google
2) eng-tips.com
3)www.cheresources.com

Thanks debest. Am not surprised anyway. . .owing to the name you gave yourself. The issue still is that i have tried all these options and still kind of need a practical guide. . .like a prepared booklet that has different exam questions and their answers etc.Thanks again all the same.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 12:45pm On Sep 04, 2009
calyx:

Thanks debest. Am not surprised anyway. . .owing to the name you gave yourself. The issue still is that i have tried all these options and still kind of need a practical guide. . .like a prepared booklet that has different exam questions and their answers etc.Thanks again all the same.
Best of luck my friend,
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by kvolander: 8:56pm On Sep 04, 2009
calyx:

Hi House,

I'm a chemical engrg graduate from UNIBEN.I'll advise you look for any UNIBEN chem engrg student and ask for PROCESS CALCULATION By Prof. T.O.K AUDU. It'll be very helpful for quick revision.It's not a handout but a textbook.

Goodluck
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 4:01pm On Sep 16, 2009
calyx:

how did it go mate?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by 24spicy: 10:07am On Sep 19, 2009
hi guys, pls i need ur honest advice. i hav a B.Eng and MSc in chemical engineering but presently i work in d telecom sector as a BSS engineer. i also hav a CCNP certification. am thinking of going for either a masters in network engineering or a Phd in chemical engineering. pls ur honest advice will be appreciated.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by tubabie(f): 10:15am On Sep 19, 2009
Hey guys nice thread. I am a Chem. Engr too. Just signing in. . . . . . . . , .
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by dayokanu(m): 9:20am On Sep 20, 2009
By trailing tubabie all over the forum, I got here.

I was a Chemical Engineer too
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by tubabie(f): 12:10pm On Sep 20, 2009
Lmao!

Dayo you are such a case! cheesy
Howdy?

Once a Chem. Engr, you are always one. I wonder why you veered off completely
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 3:42pm On Sep 20, 2009
24spicy:

hi guys, pls i need your honest advice. i hav a B.Eng and MSc in chemical engineering but presently i work in d telecom sector as a BSS engineer. i also hav a CCNP certification. am thinking of going for either a masters in network engineering or a Phd in chemical engineering. pls your honest advice will be appreciated.
it depends on what ur plans are, if u want to pursue a career in chemical engineering, then go ahead with the PhD, if on the contrary u have amassed experience in telecoms then my advice is to do the masters in networking.
basically it all depends on where u wanna be

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Hi tubabie, what sector are u working in?
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by debest1(m): 3:48pm On Sep 20, 2009
hi, welcome to all newbies on here, pls feel free to share ur experience and challenges alike
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by tubabie(f): 3:54pm On Sep 20, 2009
Kenny_G:

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Hi tubabie, what sector are u working in?

None right now, just concluding my MSc this month.
Re: Chemical & Process Engineers Forum by KennyG6(m): 3:57pm On Sep 20, 2009
tubabie:

None right now, just concluding my MSc this month.

lucky u, all the best with ur msc, i guess its jobsearch after that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

This Is How Much Most Graduates Earn In Nigeria As Starting Salary - Stutern / What Are The Highest Paying Federal Government Agencies / Caesar Chukwuma Nigerian Lawyer In USA Melting Hearts Of Ladies. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.