Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,706 members, 7,827,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! (26251 Views)

Structural Engineering Forum : Lets Get Talking / Mechanical Engineers Forum / Chemical & Process Engineers Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Adbash: 6:30pm On Mar 13, 2012
I studied Agricultural Engineering and I graduated in 2009. I'm thinking of changing career to pure Mechanical Engineering bt my Prof. is advising me not to because of my excellent background in Agricultural Engr. What is ur experiences out there in terms of job and career.
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Adbash: 5:47pm On Mar 14, 2012
Wow, 11 views no comment. Let us feel free and say something even if u are not in dat line again. U don't knw who will learn or gain from ur experience. Thank u
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Lacoolmley: 10:49pm On Mar 17, 2012
Agric Engineering is good but if you have an opportunity to change to Mechanical, I'll say you should go for it. With a Mechanical degree, you are given a chance to work in more engineering fields than one with Agric. Eng. Just look at it this way; a Mech Engr could be employed to do your job but it's quite hard to employ you to do his job.
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by jekomo1(m): 10:08pm On Mar 18, 2012
Hi, I also studied agric engineering . I graduated 2010, I love the and i can die for it . Please follow the advice of ur lecturer,he knows more than u do and as for the man that comment on this . See is only in Nigeria that will abuse good thing ,agric engineer is far better than mechanical in the world but its otherwise in Nigeria . Am not saying this to console myself becos am not in that line now,but I will still go into it . Agric engineer is the best course that one could ever studied in life . Thanks

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Adbash: 5:49pm On Mar 19, 2012
jekomo1: Hi, I also studied agric engineering . I graduated 2010, I love the and i can die for it . Please follow the advice of ur lecturer,he knows more than u do and as for the man that comment on this . See is only in Nigeria that will abuse good thing ,agric engineer is far better than mechanical in the world but its otherwise in Nigeria . Am not saying this to console myself becos am not in that line now,but I will still go into it . Agric engineer is the best course that one could ever studied in life . Thanks
Yes, U're right. But Nigeria factor is pulling us down from d zenith that will belong. Also d successful ones(Agric Engineers) that supposed 2 be championing d campain and be of help are no where 2 be found. Imagine graduating with a best result still strugling 2 get a job even after passing all sort of psychometric tests. If I actually follow my Prof. advice, I will end up in academics. Thank u guys (both in support and against) really appreciate. More comments and ur experiences will be highly appreciated.
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by ruffhandu: 3:30pm On Mar 20, 2012
Hello,
I studied Agric Engr (Soil & Water Engr option). Though I have been in d bank since three months after NYSC, am gearing up for an M.Sc in Soil & Water still (anticipating an admission this year).

@ Topic:
The Nigerian factor has actually made the career seem "non-lucrative". I am a member of ASABE and I know what's happening over there. But my take on it is, even in Nigeria, one will make it heavy when one gets into private practice. There are unlimited opportunities. Soil & water, Farm Power & Mach, Bio Resources, Alternative energy, Food processing and on and on.

i'll advise you stick and make shape your life. Don't be discouraged and carried away.

2. Lacoolmley:
Agric Engineering is good but if you have an opportunity to change to Mechanical, I'll say you should go for it. With a Mechanical degree, you are given a chance to work in more engineering fields than one with Agric. Eng. Just look at it this way; a Mech Engr could be employed to do your job but it's quite hard to employ you to do his job.

The bolded is not entirely true. the reverse could as well be the case.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Adbash: 10:13am On Mar 21, 2012
@ruffhandle: ur comment is very inspiring. Thanks really appreciate.
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by designfemi(m): 9:56am On Mar 24, 2012
Whao, i feel so honouréd to c this forum and the qùality of response. I am a grádùte of Agricultural Engineering (soil and water option). Honestly, if i wil av to write jamb again 100 times, i wil go for this course again. Y? Its gives me the priviledge of lèarning something about everytin and evrytin abt somtin. I thnk we sú nt júdge by d present Nigerìa sitùation, the future of Agric Engineering is bright. Its a matter of time

2 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Walexz02(m): 12:41pm On Mar 25, 2012
Wao! am vry pleased to hv come acros ds educatve thread,plz I realy need a gud advice on my carer in Agric Eng. though I luv d course as an ND holdr 2 b,bt I nid advice on where to cros to after my ND, I wntd to go for Farm power:but seeing situatn oe thngs in Nigeria 1 as 2 b vry careful in selectng any cours I a gud advice 4rm my coulegues.I luv Agrib.Eng.
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Adbash: 3:45pm On Mar 26, 2012
Walexz02: Wao! am vry pleased to hv come acros ds educatve thread,plz I realy need a gud advice on my carer in Agric Eng. though I luv d course as an ND holdr 2 b,bt I nid advice on where to cros to after my ND, I wntd to go for Farm power:but seeing situatn oe thngs in Nigeria 1 as 2 b vry careful in selectng any cours I a gud advice 4rm my coulegues.I luv Agrib.Eng.
You don't really need to worry about that now. Before u can talk of specialization it will be in d advanced stage of ur education i.e Masters level. Bt at undergraduate level u may ask to choose some optional courses in either soil&water engr, power&machinery or processing and storage engr. Bt in some school, u will do all d courses it is only ur project dat will be in either of d specializations. Hope dis helps.
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Walexz02(m): 10:25pm On Mar 29, 2012
Adbash: You don't really need to worry about that now. Before u can talk of specialization it will be in d advanced stage of ur education i.e Masters level. Bt at undergraduate level u may ask to choose some optional courses in either soil&water engr, power&machinery or processing and storage engr. Bt in some school, u will do all d courses it is only ur project dat will be in either of d specializations. Hope dis helps.
@adbash am talking abt d optional courser whch 1 is more favourable in naija.
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by FOREXMOVER: 10:49pm On Mar 30, 2012
brodas it aint easy out there with a degree in agric. eng. its frustrating but i dont regret it. anyways if you wanna continue with AGE in your M.sc, no qualms. but if not, switch to a closely related discipline that favourable in the labour market.
You own your life. nobody decide what you gonna be. just be wise in ideas collection and implementation.
Cheers>>>>>Greatest SAES 2009... FUTO

3 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by phassy(f): 12:52pm On Apr 04, 2012
pls can u say something abt agricultura economics
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Adbash: 11:16am On Apr 06, 2012
Agricultural Economics is a branch or specialization under Agricultural Science. It has nofin to do with career in Agricultural Engineering. Hope this helps?

1 Like

Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by winta2007(m): 12:39pm On Apr 06, 2012
What abt food science and technology?
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Adbash: 9:27am On Apr 08, 2012
Yeah it is an option under Agricultural Engineering bt some universities offer it as a separate course.
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Walexz02(m): 10:31pm On Apr 18, 2012
power n machinery vs soil n water whch 1 is more prefarable in d market plz
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Adbash: 7:59am On Apr 19, 2012
It would have been power and machinery bt Mechanical Engineers are venturing into that line too and dey are also a big players there. Though Civil Engineer dudes are into water resourses bt Agric Engineers are d biggest players.
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Walexz02(m): 8:58pm On Apr 20, 2012
Adbash: It would have been power and machinery bt Mechanical Engineers are venturing into that line too and dey are also a big players there. Though Civil Engineer dudes are into water resourses bt Agric Engineers are d biggest players.
adbash plz as a bro. whch 1 would u advice me 2 go for?am about 2 finish my ND in The polytchnic ibadan...
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Adbash: 8:47am On Apr 21, 2012
Take soil and water but that doesnt mean that u will work in soil and water engineering coy. U may end up in Power and machinery or even processing firm. My advice as a broda, take d one u've talent for that will boost ur CGPA at d end of d day.

2 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Walexz02(m): 11:26pm On Apr 21, 2012
Adbash: Take soil and water but that doesnt mean that u will work in soil and water engineering coy. U may end up in Power and machinery or even processing firm. My advice as a broda, take d one u've talent for that will boost ur CGPA at d end of d day.
Thanks bro. I really appreciate d advice..I have also thought of soil n water bt I luv power n machinery d more moreover I think there ar 2 many pple going 4 soil n water..Bt wat borders me alot abt power n machinery is dt,do we realy hav place in d labour market?
currently my CGPA is 4.56.....i dnt knw wt ds semester wil tell.
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by baabaa: 2:16pm On Sep 18, 2012
I am an Agric Engineer.I graduated from University of Ilorin in 1991.I worked in the bank for more than 18 years before i retired.Along the line, i had taken some courses in some other fields- pgd-computer science,msc-computer science,MBA and some accounting courses.I have been a member of Nigerian Society of Engineers since i was in the university,I am graduate member and a corporate member(MNSE).All along because of my undying love for Agric Engineering Profession,I have been in the midst of Engineers even while i was still working for the Bank.It is very true that there are limited jobs for Agric Engineers in Nigeria,but we should not allow that to bother us as each everyone of us can be an Agric Entrepreneur and also make it in Ngeria.It is also true that our Senior Colleagues and the Government had failed us by not promoting Agricultural Engineering Practice. But I assure you that all hope is not loss as some of us are thing deeply on how to assist the upcoming Agric Engineers to get jobs after graduation in the school by setting up a companies and creating viable opportunities.e.g Farm Centres,Agric Engineering Malls,Hiring of Earth moving Equipments ,Fabrication,Rural and Urban Land Developmet Scheme,Training School and Seminars etc.We would employ the Senior Agric Engineers to focus on how they can be creative and establishing Agric Engineering firms than to continue to lecture.We should also encourage ourselves to set up the pace for the younger ones.If we really mean business as Agric Engineers, all Agric Engineering Options are lucrative-Manpower and Machinery,Post Harvest Engineering,Soil & Water and Food Technology.We must not despair.I know in our time we would lift up this profession as the future of nigeria largely depend on AGRICULTURE and we are the key players to that future.
Thank you.

6 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 19, 2012
AGE student reporting frm lautech.
I'm happy to fnd ds on NL..I don't like d course initially cos I put in for mech.engring bt ws gvn AGE bt wen we started receiving departmental courses,I fell inluv with it soooo much..I don't like water n soil conservation(dnt knw y) bt I think of specializing in food processing n storage or farm power n machinery
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by thetelz(m): 1:50am On Sep 25, 2012
Glad I found this thread cheesy anyone got a list of companies Agricultural and Environmental Engineers could work?
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Walexz02(m): 7:11am On Sep 25, 2012
Thank God AGE's are turning up to ds thread,am am now done wt my ND(The polytechnic Ibadan) and I need a place 4 my IT place I need ur help.
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Nobody: 7:18am On Sep 25, 2012
You can IITA to knw if u can do ur IT there,flour mills or any food processing companies
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Walexz02(m): 6:58am On Sep 26, 2012
^^
Ok, tanks....still searching 4 places in ibadan/oyo town.

1 Like

Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by ruffhandu: 11:42pm On Sep 26, 2012
As an Agricultural engineer, you have endless opportunities. But you have to keep updating yourself to remain relevant.
I belong to ASABE since I was in 4th year, became a full member as a corper. Have been planning to write the FE exam (the nearest is Egypt), started my M.Sc in UNIZIK this year (My B.Sc was UNN). Started my ACCA this June (have written F1 and F2).
You just keep being relevant as you keep updating yoursel, wherever you find yourself. Just bought ESUT Business school application form, lectures one weekend every two months. Don't ever resort self-pity, you are better placed than those others. A very wide horrizon exists in the Agriculture world now, easy to be established, only be focussed. The world is there for you to conquer.

4 Likes

Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by tony1918(m): 11:10am On Oct 20, 2012
Seeing a topic like this gladings my heart... I'm an undergraduate of AGE..and wish to go for a Msc in environmental engr ..pls whats ur take about this??
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by Walexz02(m): 10:19am On Oct 21, 2012
^
Its a gud dcision....more or less of civil engineering.....
Btwn, u ar 4rm whch uni plz?
Re: Agricultural Engineers Forum: Lets Meet Here And Share Our Experiences! by tony1918(m): 9:43pm On Oct 21, 2012
Walexz02: ^
Its a gud dcision....more or less of civil engineering.....
Btwn, u ar 4rm whch uni plz?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Spending N600 Per Day For Feeding Too Much For A 45k Monthly Job? / FG Rejects Plans By Multichoice To Sack Nigerian Workers / Diamond Bank Sacks 200 Workers - Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.