Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,007 members, 7,817,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles (779 Views)

Why We Can’t Hand Over Tompolo To JTF, EFCC —ijaw Elders, Youths / Russia Enforces No-fly-zone In Syria With 64 S300 Ship To Air Missiles(pix) / How Jonathan,Governors,Service Chiefs Prevailed On Tompolo To Shelve Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles by Beaf: 3:29am On Aug 11, 2009
A faction of the Movement for the Emancipation of Niger Delta (MEND) headed by Government Ekpemupolo, aka Tompolo, has expressed its readiness to hand over 50 percent of its weapons to the Federal Government in demonstration of its acceptance of amnesty offer.
Some of the weapons to be handed over include 7,000 AK-47, 1,000 general purpose machine guns (GPMG); unspecified number of bombs; other explosives and full military and police uniforms; surface-to-air missiles, grenade launchers and gun boats over the next one week.
shocked shocked shocked
http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4376:amnesty-militants-set-to-hand-over-8000-arms-others-&catid=85:national&Itemid=340
Re: Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles by Beaf: 3:42am On Aug 11, 2009
But amnesty (or govt bribe) seems doomed to fail. MEND seems to be playing mind games with the govt, so far only dane guns, machetes and other rubbish have been turned in.

Even Henry Okah, who has long been considered a MEND leader and was released from prison last month in what seemed a test run of the amnesty deal, denied that the effort would work. “How many weapons have been recovered?” Mr. Okah said in a telephone interview. “What makes it a success? Where are the weapons? I think it’s all just a joke.”

The outcome is of far more than academic interest to the United States. West Africa was supplying about 15 percent of daily oil imports by the middle of this decade, and Nigeria, as the world’s 11th largest producer, was by far the biggest regional source, according to a 2007 paper in International Policy Report by three American experts.

Little of that wealth has made it down to the Delta, however. The same experts cited figures showing that 80 percent of oil money goes to 1 percent of the Nigerian population.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/11/world/africa/11nigeria.html
Re: Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles by JomoGbomo2(m): 4:33am On Aug 11, 2009
Joseph Harry, who spoke on behalf of the group at a press conference held in Abuja, expressed the readiness of all the “generals and commanders” under the Tompolo’s command to embrace the amnesty with a condition of government’s readiness to buy-back their weapons, provision of accommodation and allocate some shut-in oil wells to them among other demands.

This is why i beleive this MEND (maybe this faction) is not fighting for the emancipation of ND but for their criminal minds, this particular guys are as good as our leaders when it comes to corruption except they are on the other side of the number line. of what use will the oil well they are demanding for be to the ND at large, instead of clamouring that all oil field should be taken over by govt they are fighting for their personal oil wells. do they intend using the money accrued from the oil for the development of ND themselves?

My fear is that they will only ridicule this strugle, they are all going to get their money, sell the ND indigenes for couple of oil wells and leave the unborn ND youth to came a start the fight again next 25yrs and the cycle will continue.

I personally beleive that the ND strugle is needed, ND needs to be developed, ND youths need to be educated not begged to be educated, ND youths needs to be more serious than what these their present frontiers are fighting for. (personal oil wells imagine).lol

I also beleive that this struggle could be holistic in nature, Let MEND collabo with other bodies (maybe ethno-tribal or not) and fight for the whole good governace of nigeria because that is what i think is more important. cos if we have good governance, ND issue will not be there in the first place.
What we need as a nation is the holistic struggle for the emancipation of Nigeria from the few corrupt elites among us that cross across the nation. That way we will solve the problem once and for all. I beleive in this country and its oneness.

not personal oil wells.
Re: Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles by Beaf: 6:05am On Aug 11, 2009
JomoGbomo2:

. . . ND youths need to be educated not begged to be educated, ND youths needs to be more serious. . .

That is insulting.
These are literacy rates (in any language, including Yoruba) for Southern Nigeria. In English, the figures would be dramatically different. As you can see, ND does quite well. Nobody is begging ND people to be educated, thank you.

[table]
[tr][td]State[/td][td]Literacy Rate[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lagos[/td][td]89.90[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Rivers[/td][td]82.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Akwa Ibom[/td][td]81.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Abia[/td][td]79.90[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Anambra[/td][td]77.80[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Edo[/td][td]77.00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ondo[/td][td]76.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Enugu[/td][td]75.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Cross River[/td][td]75.50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Imo[/td][td]75.40[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ekiti[/td][td]75.00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Osun[/td][td]74.80[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Delta[/td][td]74.40[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ogun[/td][td]69.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bayelsa[/td][td]68.10[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ebonyi[/td][td]57.70[/td][/tr]
[/table]
Re: Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles by otokx(m): 7:03am On Aug 11, 2009
The MEND guys know that the government is not sincere. What is actually happening now is that the Nigerian Army is mobilizing and re- equipping for the next onslaught which they hope will start in the dry season.
Re: Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles by JomoGbomo2(m): 7:12am On Aug 11, 2009
@ Beaf, please dont take this personal, i just want to ask you this question.

Do you beleive the numbers you posted is the actual reflection of what we have out there in the soceity? if so i take that clause back but if not then we have to find the gap  and bridge it.

Another thing i will want you to acknowledge is that 90% of 50 is far less than 50% of 200 and thats why i dont like percantage in maths, it doesn't give the true reflection of numbers in their whole sense. (thats y the banks use them to confuse us the more: apology to my banker folks).

Then lastly, everything i said is not just from the outside, especially when it comes to education, ND is my Alma-mata, thats the place i call "home" whenever i use that word. Everything my dad has is there. so pardon me if you dont like my choice of words.
Re: Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles by Afam(m): 8:03am On Aug 11, 2009
Beaf:

That is insulting.
These are literacy rates (in any language, including Yoruba) for Southern Nigeria. In English, the figures would be dramatically different. As you can see, ND does quite well. Nobody is begging ND people to be educated, thank you.

[table]
[tr][td]State[/td][td]Literacy Rate[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Lagos[/td][td]89.90[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Rivers[/td][td]82.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Akwa Ibom[/td][td]81.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Abia[/td][td]79.90[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Anambra[/td][td]77.80[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Edo[/td][td]77.00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ondo[/td][td]76.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Enugu[/td][td]75.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Cross River[/td][td]75.50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ekiti[/td][td]75.00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Osun[/td][td]74.80[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Delta[/td][td]74.40[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ogun[/td][td]69.60[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bayelsa[/td][td]68.10[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Ebonyi[/td][td]57.70[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Why is Imo State missing in that list? Let's have the % for Imo state if you still have the complete list.
Re: Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles by Beaf: 8:05am On Aug 11, 2009
JomoGbomo2:

@ Beaf, please dont take this personal, i just want to ask you this question.

Do you beleive the numbers you posted is the actual reflection of what we have out there in the soceity? if so i take that clause back but if not then we have to find the gap  and bridge it.

Another thing i will want you to acknowledge is that 90% of 50 is far less than 50% of 200 and thats why i dont like percantage in maths, it doesn't give the true reflection of numbers in their whole sense. (thats y the banks use them to confuse us the more: apology to my banker folks).

Then lastly, everything i said is not just from the outside, especially when it comes to education, ND is my Alma-mata, thats the place i call "home" whenever i use that word. Everything my dad has is there. so pardon me if you dont like my choice of words.

Nothing personal, ignorance is annoying.
I don't buy your argument. Percentages are the right thing to use.
Regardless of where you claim to come from, theres still a lot of ignorance displayed on your part.

The figures are from official Nigerian statistics. You can collate them yourself from here http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/cwiq/2006/survey0/outputInformation/cwiqreports.html
Re: Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles by Beaf: 8:10am On Aug 11, 2009
@Afam
Sorry bro, Imo never comot 9ja grin. I've edited the list.
Re: Tompolo To Hand Over 8000 Weapons! Not Including Surface-to-air Missiles by Beaf: 6:04pm On Aug 11, 2009
Tompolo is a highly-organised person from what was seen at Camp 5 and his Oporoza home showed he is a man of taste. Virtually every room in the apartment, which some sources said is the community's guest house is luxuriously furnished. The house has between 17-20 rooms with three sitting rooms.

The militant leader has a communication room in the mansion, where he keeps in touch with the world and things happening around him globally. Major General Yarkin-Bello was interested when one of his men picked up a photograph of a jet fighter, suspected to have been downloaded from the internet by Tompolo.

It was discovered from the avalanche of newspapers in his room that Tompolo could be an avid reader of newspapers for virtually the copies of every major national newspaper were found there and he also downloaded news stories published by newspapers on the internet inside his house. The JTF told newsmen earlier that it recovered a cyber cafe used by the militants.

Governor Uduaghan also marvelled at various findings the JTF commander said he made in the house, particularly the arms found in the ceilings and the laundry room.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200905290490.html

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians With Fake Travel Documents Face 10-year Ban. / Our Presido Is A Walking Corspse He Needs Spiritual Help.(with Photos) / Are Nigerian Really The Happiest People On Earth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.