Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Masters Or Stay On Job? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Masters Or Stay On Job? (25905 Views)

Masters Or Professional Course In Agric.engineering Available In UK Or Canada / Professional Masters Or Academic Masters? / Career About Study Masters Or Bsc Over Here With A Good Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Masters Or Stay On Job? by Nobody: 7:26am On May 03, 2016
This is a point in my life where I really need other opinions about my pending decision.
Here are the points:

-I graduated first class some years ago after completing studies at the University of Lagos
-Secured numerous masters admission with and without scholarship and intended to go for masters immediately, but got an attractive job offer with an oil multinational. Took the job offer.
-I've worked now about 4+ years with this multinational and the going has been incredibly terrific. Even with the incredible layoffs in my company and in the oil industry, it looks very likely I'll continue to keep my job.
-Every year I have continued to apply for masters in universities abroad given my intention to really acquire a masters and possibly a PhD degree. Never once accepted any of the offers I have been getting. Simply ignored them. As the years rolled by, the offers are no longer coming as usual. I'm getting turned down by schools.
-This year I have now obtained an offer to complete my masters at the No.1 ranked university in Canada, my desired destination. The only offer I got among the top schools I applied to. No scholarships.
-I'm yet unentitled to study leave

Here's the question: do I quit my job and go complete this masters in a really reputable school or do I stay back in Nigeria and continue slugging it out in the oil industry? Who knows what will come of the industry as the oil price continues to flutter? Who knows how my future might turn out if I leave to go chase the masters?

Here's my decision: Work is getting boring as time races on. I'm not getting any younger. I'm in my very late twenties. I should quit, go chase my masters and embrace any uncertainty that may come out of that. If I'm unable to secure an attractive job I'll go with academics for life whether in Canada or in Nigeria. I might even secure a Canadian citizenship. Canada is a lovely destination where I don't mind spending a large chunk of my life.

My worry: I have a comfortable life here. Why shake the bottle? Why stir the pot? Racism is still rife in these "white" countries. My life could get unbearable mixing in a culture I'm not familiar with.

Any inputs, please.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by donbenedict(m): 7:39am On May 03, 2016
Sometimes I just dnt seem to get it, if u think u need a masters degree den drop ur job and go for it, but if u dnt want any masters degree, u sit ur ass down in dat company and continue to take life as it comes by. There is no guarantee that you hav job security in dat office, so take chances brother.

Now if I were you, i'm talkn of myself, i'd quit dat job and throway myself out of this damned country to canada... and pitch my tent there

13 Likes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by PresVA: 8:15am On May 03, 2016
Can you comfortably sponsor yourself for the MSc while still having some extra savings?

If yes, then pursue your Msc now that you've got the time and still somewhat young. . Soon, family et al will beckon with increasing age and you may find it really hard or impossible to achieve the academic excellence you crave. ..

There's also a high probability of obtaining a permanent stay in Canada as they're immigrant-friendly at the moment...

Even if you end up not getting a permanent stay in Canada (which is unlikely anyway), I feel you can still get opportunities in Nigeria with your years of experience and academic excellence. .

So I will say, take the risk and explore! You'll survive somehow! !

However, I really wish there's a way you could keep down your job here while testing the waters in Canada .. when are you due for study leave if I may ask?

36 Likes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Nobody: 9:21am On May 03, 2016
PresVA:
Can you comfortably sponsor yourself for the MSc while still having some extra savings?

If yes, then pursue your Msc now that you've got the time and still somewhat young. . Soon, family et al will beckon with increasing age and you may find it really hard or impossible to achieve the academic excellence you crave. ..

There's also a high probability of obtaining a permanent stay in Canada as they're immigrant-friendly at the moment...

Even if you end up not getting a permanent stay in Canada (which is unlikely anyway), I feel you can still get opportunities in Nigeria with your years of experience and academic excellence. .

However, I really wish there's a way you could keep down your job here while testing the waters in Canada .. when are you due for study leave if I may ask?
Thanks for the incredible advice. I'm 4+ years now. Not due for study leave until next year September
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by PresVA: 10:02am On May 03, 2016
bicmitchum:

Thanks for the incredible advice. I'm 4+ years now. Not due for study leave until next year September
What's the possibility of deferring your admission? Nxt yr isn't really far. .. if you can defer, then it would just be perfect. ..
But if you can't, you'll be faced with whether you can still get this sort of admission next year? You may eventually settle for a 'lower' school or not even get admitted at all...really a dicey situation... embarassed

if you can't defer, I think you should take the risk...why?
- You seem to really have the desire to further and doing that will give you some self - fulfillment..
- You said work here is boring already. . You need more exposures. .
- Canada is a good country and immigrant-friendly, it's worth the risk.... you have the opportunity of a permanent stay(which you also desire) and I also feel that studying at the NO 1 School in the country will very likely open doors for you over there....
- You can still survive 'somehow' in Nigeria if Canadian permanent residency fails..

Most times we really have to go outside our comfort zones, take risks eettcc to achieve greater heights. .

Then, hope you can sponsor yourself COMFORTABLY while still having some savings; wouldn't advise you empty all your accounts for this quest....

I really wish you the best... smiley

Lalasticlala , help him move this thread to the front page so that he can get more opinions. ..

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Nobody: 10:15am On May 03, 2016
PresVA:
What's the possibility of deferring your admission? Nxt yr isn't really far. .. if you can defer, then it would just be perfect. ..
But if you can't, you'll be faced with whether you can still get this sort of admission next year? You may eventually settle for a 'lower' school or not even get admitted at all...really a dicey situation... embarassed

- You seem to really have the desire to further and doing that will give you some self - fulfillment..
- Canada is a good country and immigrant-friendly, it's worth the risk.... you have the opportunity of a permanent stay(which you also desire) and I also feel that studying at the NO 1 School in the country will very likely open doors for you over there....
- You can still survive 'somehow' in Nigeria if Canadian permanent residency fails..

Most times we really have to go outside our comfort zones, take risks eettcc to achieve greater heights. .

Then, hope you can sponsor yourself COMFORTABLY while still having some savings; wouldn't advise you empty all your accounts for this quest....

Lalasticlala , help him move this thread to the front page so that he can get more opinions. ..

This is really good advice. Thanks, I appreciate it. I agree with your summary that "Most times we really have to go outside our comfort zones, take risks eettcc to achieve greater heights. .". I guess it's just the fear that's getting to me. Work may be kinda boring right now, but I really still love what I do and get paid handsomely for it.

On expenses: since I don't have a scholarship yet, I'll be spending at least 50% of my savings on this. I should still have about 50% untouched at the end. And this is taking into consideration how much I have at the moment in my bank account, not including how much I hope to make by September or how much I may get as severance, if i quit.

Thanks for your wishes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Olabestonic001(m): 3:34pm On May 03, 2016
bicmitchum:

This is really good advice. Thanks, I appreciate it. I agree with your summary that "Most times we really have to go outside our comfort zones, take risks eettcc to achieve greater heights. .". I guess it's just the fear that's getting to me. Work may be kinda boring right now, but I really still love what I do and get paid handsomely for it.

On expenses: since I don't have a scholarship yet, I'll be spending at least 50% of my savings on this. I should still have about 50% untouched at the end. And this is taking into consideration how much I have at the moment in my bank account, not including how much I hope to make by September or how much I may get as severance, if i quit.

Thanks for your wishes.

You're really a brilliant chap that can cope well any well with a little modifications.

7 Likes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 03, 2016
a bird in hand is worth 10 in the bush

10 Likes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by sukkot: 4:28pm On May 03, 2016
yes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by endtimesblog: 4:28pm On May 03, 2016
Okay

who master degree epp?

But

Oil job don epp oooooo

am sure u get that now......

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 03, 2016
o
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by chinawapzy(m): 4:29pm On May 03, 2016
#Agrobalm# follow ur mind
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by tellwisdom: 4:29pm On May 03, 2016
Yes, Quit it. sad
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by tooman: 4:29pm On May 03, 2016
if and only if he is sure
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by AlexCk: 4:30pm On May 03, 2016
Can't u request for a year's leave or some time off, before doing ur masters.

Im sure d company should hv policies for that.

Or u cud defer till u hv really made up ur mind n saved enough (well more than enough)

3 Likes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Iykon1313(m): 4:30pm On May 03, 2016
bicmitchum:
This is a point in my life where I really need other opinions about my pending decision.
Here are the points:

-I graduated first class some years ago after completing studies at the University of Lagos
-Secured numerous masters admission with and without scholarship and intended to go for masters immediately, but got an attractive job offer with an oil multinational. Took the job offer.
-I've worked now about 4+ years with this multinational and the going has been incredibly terrific. Even with the incredible layoffs in my company and in the oil industry, it looks very likely I'll continue to keep my job.
-Every year I have continued to apply for masters in universities abroad given my intention to really acquire a masters and possibly a PhD degree. Never once accepted any of the offers I have been getting. Simply ignored them. As the years rolled by, the offers are no longer coming as usual. I'm getting turned down by schools.
-This year I have now obtained an offer to complete my masters at the No.1 ranked university in Canada, my desired destination. The only offer I got among the top schools I applied to. No scholarships.

Here's the question: do I quit my job and go complete this masters in a really reputable school or do I stay back in Nigeria and continue slugging it out in the oil industry? Who knows what will come of the industry as the oil price continues to flutter? Who knows how my future might turn out if I leave to go chase the masters?

Here's my decision: Work is getting boring as time races on. I'm not getting any younger. I'm in my very late twenties. I should quit, go chase my masters and embrace any uncertainty that may come out of that. If I'm unable to secure an attractive job I'll go with academics for life whether in Canada or in Nigeria. I might even secure a Canadian citizenship. Canada is a lovely destination where I don't mind spending a large chunk of my life.

My worry: I have a comfortable life here. Why shake the bottle? Why stir the pot? Racism is still rife in these "white" countries. My life could get unbearable mixing in a culture I'm not familiar with.

Any inputs, please.

Continue your work here and do the masters online. You can do the do together. Atleast you can combine the two of them.

10 Likes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Kriztovar13(m): 4:31pm On May 03, 2016
Before you leave pls, help me secure an IT placement in you company

christopherkriztovar@gmail.com

8 Likes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by EbolaParasite: 4:31pm On May 03, 2016
bicmitchum:
Here are the points:

Any inputs, please.

I'll make this very simple and straightforward. DO NOT DO IT..
Keep your job.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by thefakestan: 4:32pm On May 03, 2016
I don tire for this kind threads

ThefakeStan

1 Like

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by MadCow1: 4:32pm On May 03, 2016
bicmitchum:
Here are the points:

Any inputs, please.

NO..

Dont do it..

Who masters don Epp?

IF your company will not grant you study leave, then defer your admission and do an MBa online.

Go ask Nigerian Police force how many Masters Degree holders apply for Police recruitment this year. grin grin grin

Then ask them how many with foreign Master degree apply.. grin

Master Degree from overseas don full everywhere now o!

|Experience is better than Degree all day..

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Maximus85(m): 4:33pm On May 03, 2016
No.
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Dinocarex(m): 4:33pm On May 03, 2016
You have rightly stated that you are due for study leave next September.
Bro, if there is a way you can defer the admission, it will be a good idea to do so. Because when you leave the company the sole sponsorship of surviving in Canada lies on your shoulder. You quit the job, no renumeration...!!! Remember!!!

Write a detailed email to the school giving cocient reasons why you need to defy the admission till next year September.
Wishing you the best of luck!!

6 Likes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by chinawapzy(m): 4:33pm On May 03, 2016
#Agrobalm# If you quit am I will curse you

1 Like

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Philomath1212: 4:35pm On May 03, 2016
PresVA:

Chai, may God bless your reasoning.
You are so clever.
I doubt if any other reasoning can outweigh this.
I go for you.
Op.... This is my best supported opinion.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by EbolaParasite: 4:35pm On May 03, 2016
PresVA:

@ Bolded
There are numerous professionals with excellent degrees, US and Canadian experience wey full naija at the moment. The industry is mega competitive. If you leave, there are 50 people waiting to take your place. That place will not be there when you are done. If you leave, you'll probably kiss the industry good bye and end up being a teacher.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by millionboi(m): 4:35pm On May 03, 2016
IN IBU voice.......U dey craze?@OP

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by akanbiaa(m): 4:35pm On May 03, 2016
He should ask those with masters and some phds that are jobless. if he must go for masters he should seek one that has permission of his employers so that when he has it, he will be better off in the Organuzation.

2 Likes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by MasterofNL: 4:35pm On May 03, 2016
bicmitchum:
Here are the points:

Any inputs, please.

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by metorichmond(m): 4:36pm On May 03, 2016
Bros don't try it, I say don't try it, I repeat again don't try it. How can u leave a job in a oil company for school in this kind of insane country were getting a good job is like getting a virgin to marry. What makes u think after the masters u gona get a job? Shine ur eye ooo.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Massachusetts Mother Quits Job After Claiming $758-million Powerball Jackpot / Nigerian Senior Soldier Threatens Junior For Addressing Him As "Officer" / Buhari Suspends Tenure Policy In The Federal Civil Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.