Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,621 members, 7,809,290 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

Masters Or Stay On Job? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Masters Or Stay On Job? (25903 Views)

Masters Or Professional Course In Agric.engineering Available In UK Or Canada / Professional Masters Or Academic Masters? / Career About Study Masters Or Bsc Over Here With A Good Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by talk2joel(m): 10:43pm On May 03, 2016
bicmitchum:
This is a point in my life where I really need other opinions about my pending decision.
Here are the points:

-I graduated first class some years ago after completing studies at the University of Lagos
-Secured numerous masters admission with and without scholarship and intended to go for masters immediately, but got an attractive job offer with an oil multinational. Took the job offer.
-I've worked now about 4+ years with this multinational and the going has been incredibly terrific. Even with the incredible layoffs in my company and in the oil industry, it looks very likely I'll continue to keep my job.
-Every year I have continued to apply for masters in universities abroad given my intention to really acquire a masters and possibly a PhD degree. Never once accepted any of the offers I have been getting. Simply ignored them. As the years rolled by, the offers are no longer coming as usual. I'm getting turned down by schools.
-This year I have now obtained an offer to complete my masters at the No.1 ranked university in Canada, my desired destination. The only offer I got among the top schools I applied to. No scholarships.
-I'm yet unentitled to study leave

Here's the question: do I quit my job and go complete this masters in a really reputable school or do I stay back in Nigeria and continue slugging it out in the oil industry? Who knows what will come of the industry as the oil price continues to flutter? Who knows how my future might turn out if I leave to go chase the masters?

Here's my decision: Work is getting boring as time races on. I'm not getting any younger. I'm in my very late twenties. I should quit, go chase my masters and embrace any uncertainty that may come out of that. If I'm unable to secure an attractive job I'll go with academics for life whether in Canada or in Nigeria. I might even secure a Canadian citizenship. Canada is a lovely destination where I don't mind spending a large chunk of my life.

My worry: I have a comfortable life here. Why shake the bottle? Why stir the pot? Racism is still rife in these "white" countries. My life could get unbearable mixing in a culture I'm not familiar with.

Any inputs, please.
If going for d masters is what will give you joy nd fulfilment, go for it... Who says taking risk is easy! Follow ur heart man
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by tshegs19: 10:45pm On May 03, 2016
DON'T
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by sparklebug: 10:55pm On May 03, 2016
@poster..dont resign your job..the grass isnt greener outside here...wait for that study leave before u go.....don't take a decision you'll regret.
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by GLOBALINF: 10:57pm On May 03, 2016
Yes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by nonix22(m): 11:19pm On May 03, 2016
vascey:
Op, ask yourself "what do I really want?"

Therein lies the answer to your debacle.

While you have succeeded in outlining the gains and uncertainties associated with schooling abroad, you have not quite captured the global economic crises, increasing unemployment in oil and gas, declining use of crude and fossil energy etc. so I will try to highlight a few points.

First and foremost, the global oil and gas sector is in deep crises. Even the best of companies cannot guarantee your employment after the study leave. I work in oil and gas and one of my colleagues turned down a commissioner appointment because he wasn't sure his job would be there after the appointment. That's how bad it is. This is because these companies are looking for ways to cut as much cost as possible. While they may still need someone to fill your position, they would definitely save money by contracting the role out.

Secondly, in the boom period of oil and gas, your company would not be your problem because you could get a job anywhere else. These days it's difficult. In the Middle East, some of those countries are carrying out the indeginization policy i.e. building their human capacity and resource by ensuring that a certain percentage of companys' human resource are skilled indigenes. For most of them it is a phased process so the impact is not yet obvious. I tell you that in a few years, many of our African brothers with jobs in ME may have no choice than to return home. I don't know about EU and Americas but I'm sure you would be second choice as long as they have citizens who can do the job.

Finally, oil and gas industry has experienced its highest boom. It is now on a downward spiral. This is based on emerging technologies and concerns about the environment. In the next 20 years, you will see a continuous decline in use of fossil fuel. It will be the major source but other sources would also grow. What this implies is that the level of investment (drilling, exploration, development etc) would reduce significantly. This is because you would not need to replenish reserves as aggressively as was done in the past. Ofcourse, it may take hundreds of years for crude to be replaced entirely but a marginal decline in crude consumption and its resultant decrease in investment, would render a lot of people redundant.

So, while I don't discourage you, it is also pertinent that you see your predicament from a different view. Your opportunities are limitless if you go to Canada; yet, "limitless" has a lower end. If your definition of satisfaction in life is working for an oil company, then you already have it. If however, you are bursting with creative problem solving ideas which you think an MSC would greatly enhance, then by all means follow your path.

I'm in Nigeria and soon would be starting my MSC with University of London. After that, I will do my PHD with a school in Europe or Canada. I am not leaving Naija. I don't want to settle anywhere else. I am not leaving my job either. If your dreams can be achieved by staying put and studying from Nigeria, then do it. Eat your cake and have it. My brother don't be deceived by youthful restlessness and throw away an opportunity many would sell their soul for.

Above all, we can only advice but you won't get your answers here. Seek the face of God inside you and around you. If you believe, you will receive.

Good luck!

with you writing style eh, I bet your MSc Tutor will consistently flip your report script to the front page to be sure if this is indeed coming from a Nigerian. Weldone!
keep the flag flying smiley

1 Like

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by LUCAS99: 11:26pm On May 03, 2016
Please do not quit your multinational oil job and come over to Canada to start fresh. If you are making anywhere from #300,000-#500000 per month as salary in Nigeria then quitting your job to start afresh abroad might become a nightmare. My best advice to you would be to retain your job in Nigeria and maybe visit Canada and then survey the terrain so you can be in a better position to make a more informed decision. Abroad is not as easy as most people make it seem.

My Sister’s Husband is in the same exact position as you. He makes roughly about #300000 per month as salary working with an oil company in Lagos. He recently received a #2 million relocation fee to move to Port Harcourt. But he now wants to abandon his job and come to America to start afresh. I have tried to warn him to stay back in Nigeria that America is not as easy as people make it seem. But he doesn’t want to listen. Hopefully he will come and experience what I am talking about.

One thing for sure is that the Canadian society will offer you a better standard of living compared to Nigeria. Good roads, Stable electricity, Security etc… but all this comfort comes at a cost.
The white man is not silly. The system is designed in such a way that most money you make goes back into the country.
Besides if it was so easy to save money most people will work two or three jobs to save up money and leave the country and will only come back to visit. But the big question is how do you save up the money when you have to worry about rent, light bill, cable bill, water bill, auto insurance, tuition etc

When you try to explain to your relatives back home what you are passing through and ask them to hang on that you will send them some money later. They think you have the money but you don’t want to give them. When you see people who have spent 5-10 years living here is not really their fault, sometimes they feel stuck in the system.

However if you decide to quit your job then the most important thing is to have a solid plan even before you decide to come over. Even when you arrive be focused and discipline. Once you lose focus in this country is always difficult to get back on the right track.

3 Likes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Rhea(f): 11:29pm On May 03, 2016
bicmitchum:
This is a point in my life where I really need other opinions about my pending decision.
Here are the points:

-I graduated first class some years ago after completing studies at the University of Lagos
-Secured numerous masters admission with and without scholarship and intended to go for masters immediately, but got an attractive job offer with an oil multinational. Took the job offer.
-I've worked now about 4+ years with this multinational and the going has been incredibly terrific. Even with the incredible layoffs in my company and in the oil industry, it looks very likely I'll continue to keep my job.
-Every year I have continued to apply for masters in universities abroad given my intention to really acquire a masters and possibly a PhD degree. Never once accepted any of the offers I have been getting. Simply ignored them. As the years rolled by, the offers are no longer coming as usual. I'm getting turned down by schools.
-This year I have now obtained an offer to complete my masters at the No.1 ranked university in Canada, my desired destination. The only offer I got among the top schools I applied to. No scholarships.

Here's the question: do I quit my job and go complete this masters in a really reputable school or do I stay back in Nigeria and continue slugging it out in the oil industry? Who knows what will come of the industry as the oil price continues to flutter? Who knows how my future might turn out if I leave to go chase the masters?

Here's my decision: Work is getting boring as time races on. I'm not getting any younger. I'm in my very late twenties. I should quit, go chase my masters and embrace any uncertainty that may come out of that. If I'm unable to secure an attractive job I'll go with academics for life whether in Canada or in Nigeria. I might even secure a Canadian citizenship. Canada is a lovely destination where I don't mind spending a large chunk of my life.

My worry: I have a comfortable life here. Why shake the bottle? Why stir the pot? Racism is still rife in these "white" countries. My life could get unbearable mixing in a culture I'm not familiar with.

Any inputs, please.
[size=18pt]
Please do not go for any master program. Sit down on your job and develop on the job. Climb the career ladder and consolidate your financial position. Your masters degree will not add an iota to your job satisfaction. Your workplace will not appreciate that masters degree so much as to approve a commensurate increase in salary. Trust me, I have been in your shoes and can categorically tell you that you should not quit a job in a multinational oil company in Nigeria for any masters degree program unless you are in a contractor position and not a permanent staff. Don't! Don't!! Don't quit your job!!! Grass is always green on the other side until you cross over and realize it's all concrete painted green[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by bigfrancis21: 11:34pm On May 03, 2016
MamaOO:

Jeez! The man asked for advise on Canada and not the US! And you're writing 10 paragraphs about life in the US, smdh

EbolaParasite:

Jesu!!
How many paragraphs on America. The lad wants to go to Canada and not America na
This epistle wey you write sef.

LOL. You guys made me laugh real hard with those. America and Canada are quite the same in many ways and what I outlined about America also applies to Canada in so many ways, so I thought I'd post that in response to the OP. You can switch out America with Canada and you everything fits. Infact, my post was originally directed to someone else who had asked the same question but in reference to America specifically and America and Canada being fairly the same, I re-posted the comment here as well.
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by ststyreal(f): 11:53pm On May 03, 2016
bicmitchum:
Here are the points:

Any inputs, please.
In life generally nothing meaningful can be achieved without an iota of risk involved. My humble advice is that if you are sure you have saved enough money to guarantee your self a stress free master program, why not give it a shot, you know what they say about time, it wait for no one. Quickly go for your masters program and perhaps you might be lucky enough after the programme to be accepted back by this your company. So just go for your masters, that is if you are financially stable and every other things will follow suit in due time. Fear not bro and be bold enough to take the risk. Meanwhile bro, can I forward my CV to you please......., may not be in your company perse but to summit in any of your friends or pals company u may know. This lady needs a job for real. Bless u bro
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by callJesu: 11:55pm On May 03, 2016
Acknowledge God in all your ways and lean not on thy own understanding. He will show you the right step to take.

I had a good degree in biochemistry got a job and enrolled for MSc with a strong decision to drop the job four month after to resume for the program. After about two years, the program ended last month with an excellent grade to the glory of God, moreso I had gotten a job offer.

Lean On God......
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by fetrillion(m): 12:16am On May 04, 2016
metorichmond:
Bros don't try it, I say don't try it, I repeat again don't try it. How can u leave a job in a oil company for school in this kind of insane country were getting a good job is like getting a virgin to marry. What makes u think after the masters u gona get a job? Shine ur eye ooo.
I wonder if dis op is a Nigerian at all..why wud u leave certainty for uncertainty
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by GboyegaD(m): 12:28am On May 04, 2016
Team16:

Brotherly, I remember your moniker from Canada thread. Me don even secure funding sef. Supervisor de lure me for PhD.

If it's your interest, please go for it.
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by Nobody: 12:36am On May 04, 2016
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by nylawal(m): 12:51am On May 04, 2016
MsNas:
Don't even try it. Lemme ask you a few questions.

1. Are you getting paid well?
2. Are you ready to forgo all the luxuries you're used to in Nigeria and start all over in Canada

I live in the US and my husband is into Oil and Gas. I know for sure that the industry is not favorable right now and will not be favorable in the next 2-5 years. Just this last month, my husband's firm (and he works for one of the biggest in the US) laid off 50% of their workforce.

Second of all, to be candid, people in oil and gas in Nigeria make much more than those in the US or Canada. Yes, the ones in the US might make more on paper but by the time health insurance, 401K and taxes is taken, your counterparts in Nigeria take home more than you do...taxation is almost non existent in Nigeria anyways. After your masters, you may get a job but it might not be in the cadre of what you used to do in Nigeria and it might leave you unfulfilled as You already have a career in Nigeria. What you might get here might not be at par. It's easier for those who haven't had a career yet in Nigeria before coming

Lastly, with your first class, you should not be paying out of pocket for any post-graduate degree. Several high ranking schools in the US will accept you in an heartbeat with full tuition

Overall, the choice is yours to make.

These are salient points.... Wot of taking a casual leave and visiting Canada and the US. Probably your next two months salary can take care of that. So that u can get a pre-study visits to the institutions of your choice. This will help in solidifying your position and check out if you want to be like an Oyinbo with turtleneck in Sesames street (cold ni o).

Best of luck bro!

1 Like

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by stanvesco(m): 2:28am On May 04, 2016
bicmitchum:
Here are the points:

Any inputs, please.

OK I know how you feel like bro......
people differ in life; especially on how they see things.....
I for example sees things via their financial worth and judging from your post, I believe u see things from academics and self fulfillment side of life.....

if I were in your shoes; I will
.... settle down
..... start a company
..... get married
..... start my house
..... start living
..... . then await my study leave!!
..... probably do a masters in any available university

Why.......
you probably earning an average of 800k monthly
Nigeria is already too tough...
You have attained an enviable height already, a next Nigerian paycheck may not be that high
You apparently don't have any/much dependent

Should you go
hmmmmmmmmmm
Do you have an average of 15million naira?
so far what do you have from all dis years of working?
can you self sponsor
What are your long term goals??
Is their a slim chance you may be thrown out of ur company(you studied a non oil related course)

incase you stay...
..become busy with online master courses( trust me, na ur fellow bookworm dey talk, if no challenge we r burning out n bored)

get married

get newer challenges

real estate is your friend

laaaaaaaastttttly I have seen a lot of my older colleagues lamenting that, had they known.... they would have continued with making money than coming to do Residency/master/PhD

At the very end bro; do what will make you smile when you are old....
thanks
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by stanvesco(m): 2:30am On May 04, 2016
tiniyata:
a bird in hand is worth 10 in the bush

a bird in hand is worth all the birds in the bush.
lol
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by mikolo80: 6:13am On May 04, 2016
bicmitchum:
Here are the points:

Any inputs, please.
your foolishity. knows no bounds for doing as if you can't see the way the world's is.
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by mikolo80: 6:16am On May 04, 2016
nanizle:
My advice for you is to go ahead with your Masters plan for three reasons.
1. 4+ years experience in the bag already. Getting a job or starting something yourself should not be difficult.
2. Top university in Canada. That will surely open many more opportunities that would otherwise not come your way.
3. Highly valuable overseas work experience/exposure. highly likely after the program

Furthermore, an MSc (from Canada's top school for that matter) will definitely help a lot in your pursuit of a Phd (I hope you do so and add to the body of scientific knowledge. Who knows? you may discover the next big thing! cheesy)

You seem to be a smart chap so take the opportunity!

Remember say you don dey old grin.

Addressing your worries:
1. Already comfortable life here: I bet you would be more comfortable in Canada... with the exception of their cold weather. All my friends wey dey school for Canada dey very very comfortable... more dan dem dey for naija.
2. Racism: Racism... maybe, maybe not. But what about tribalism here in naija? I'm sure you can handle whatever racist experience you may encounter.
3. culture I'm not familiar with: Well... good point, but aren't you looking forward to experience another culture? A more civilized one for that matter.

Abeg spend some time away from naija wahala. If you can make it here in Nigeria, you can make it anywhere in the world in my opinion.
how many of your friends had oil company job here
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by mikolo80: 6:19am On May 04, 2016
MamaOO:
I'd advise you to stay put in Nigeria. Canada is one of the worst hit countries right now who are laying off workers in the oil and gas sector. Although Canada is immigrant friendly, the jobs are not there in abundance. Lots of Canadians in the oil and gas field are looking for jobs in the US and even those in the US are unwilling to hire because they are also hit by the oil crunch and laying off their workers as well

You also mentioned that your admission came with no scholarship? Like seriously? You had a first class from Nigeria. You wanna spend all your life savings on a masters in Canada whereas you can get into grad school in the US with full tuition waiver based on your GPA and tests scores. You better be wise and evaluate well.
I'm even beginning to doubt the first class sef. all d whole pali and d mumu no fit reason and make informed decision. the poverty and sorrow wen go deal with am de do fasting and prayer
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by humilitypays(m): 6:48am On May 04, 2016
butanep:

Boss I will love to know you. You have simply spoken the bitter truth with anger and authority.

...contrary to your post, Nigerian youth are not lazy as you said, or probably not all Nigerians youth are lazy. We are hard working. Just that the system only favour certain level of individuals and it's not easy to break even if you are not among certain clique.

Despite the harsh economic policies and environment, we are pushing hard to invest for future generations.
Good morning my brother, yes I know that our so-called leaders and politicians have really destroyed Nigeria and made us to lose faith and even direction, but still, the few lucky Nigerians like this op, who were lucky enough to secure an oil company job which if he's really honest, must be earning anything between 500k and above monthly plus some other allowances (hazard allowances), etc.

With such salary, he should be able to save like 250k every month, now multiply 250k by 12, that's 3,000,000 million naira savings every year, now multiply it by 4, that's 12,000,000 million naira in 4 years.

What I did is the least calculation because if truly he works with any of the IOCs, then his take home every month shouldn't be less than 700k after 4yrs....but let's assume he earned less, that means he ought to have at least 12million naira savings by now.

With 12million naira savings, and 4yrs active-relevant industry experience, if this fella still doesn't know how to wisely invest that 12million to start yielding at least 100k profit monthly, then he ought to go back to his village and join his grandparents to do peasant farming.

If all the oil company workers we have in Nigeria have this creative investment mentality, we ought to have uncountable number of flourishing small companies employing other youths...but hell no, these guys squander their fat salary+allowances on runs girls, keeping girlfriends in all Nigerian campuses, marrying more than 2 wives secretly, touring the world unnecessarily not even for investment or business trips but for fun.

This is our problem in Nigeria, we love easy comfort! Reason every Nigerian youths dream is to secure job in an oil company to start receiving fat pay and buy luxury car and start to live flamboyant life instantly with no plan to own their own successful company.

For those who may say I would do worst if I am in their shoe, let me give u a big background info of who I am.

I am one of the best graduating students (3rd best with the 3rd highest CGPA) in my school during my set, I got oil jobs (NLNG, both got screened out cos of age), was among the final applicants in NNPC wuru-wuru recruitment which I clearly got on merit but because of the usual Nigerian who-do-know, I got lynched during appointment letter issuance.

I made final stage of: Schlumberger, Oil Test, Mantrac, DHL, Glo, NLN ship manning, NNPC twice, etc, etc.

Now, the very day I got notification that I have passed NLNG final interview, I quickly told my elder brother that we need to register a company...a construction/engineering company so that once I return from NLNG training in Liverpool, we will use my allowances to set the company up running because my brother has awesome experience in engineering/construction, coupled with mine.

My intention was for us to own a successful civil engineering and construction firm in the next 5 - 10yrs that will solve lots of civil engineering problems we have presently in our Nigerian cities

We carried on with that dream even after NLNG dropped me cos of age.

And I am still trying my best in another field.

So in conclusion, most Nigerian youths lack creativity and direction; all they want is a good job in another creative man's company so that they can have easy life without laboring for it, it's shameful! The future of Nigeria is in a big mess...who will employ our unborn children if we all refuse to suffer and create companies today that will provide more good jobs for our unborn kids

Our politicians will stole our national common wealth and go and save it in developed countries, seriously, black man is sick!!! cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by esere826: 6:54am On May 04, 2016
bicmitchum:
Here are the points:

Any inputs, please.
You have nothing to fear. You can always fall back as a lecturer overseas. Why not go directly for a phd instead of masters.

The only reason schools might not be interested in your application is because they keep seeing it every year, otherwise experience that you have is a big plus in admission
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by knxpin(m): 7:22am On May 04, 2016
The Best advice from me is to defer your admission till next year when your study leave is due másters can Walt since it has waited till now.
Talking from experience.
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by stpat1(m): 7:47am On May 04, 2016
My dear. I'm talking from experience. Leave the job and go for your masters. You will be better off after your masters and if possible PhD .
You will definitely get better job offers going by the experience and educational level you have attained

Go for your masters.
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by deanozone: 8:20am On May 04, 2016
My own case is kinda different, am an entrepreneur, have an IT company and make a minimum of 200k monthly, most month i rake in as high as 500k or more, bottom line is dat my income is not stable. I am thinking of dropping all and going for my masters too in d same Canada, but in my case I just want to save up to 2.5million b4 September so I pay some of my school fees and work to pay up the rest when I get dere.am 29yrs old and also graduated best in my class 4yrs ago but I AV been selective abt job offers cos I don't want to be tied down...I don't know if am on the right path with my decision too?
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by oribi(m): 9:34am On May 04, 2016
I think the op does not need an advice truth be told, he should just choose what gives him fulfilment..

For some money is motivation
For some academics is motivation

Do what rocks your boat the most
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by hob(m): 9:38am On May 04, 2016
y dont u just stay in Nigeria and do ur masters without quitting your job
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by ochiora(f): 10:02am On May 04, 2016
sukkot:
does he own the company ? what kinda weird request do you nigerians make ? this is absurd. does he know you ? and does he own the oil company to where he can tell them to hire you ? shocked
kill yourself now, like you didn't read the sarcasm in my write-up, Mtschewww!
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by okeyfrank: 10:10am On May 04, 2016
It's interesting to hear that you have an opportunity to become a global citizen which I would advise, you should never miss.

You have a comparative advantage of being young though.
I have been in the same shoes with you for a long time now, procrastinating on the same issue. Mine is that I maintain at least four Masters Admission every year in the UK and the USA, hoping on the right time [financially] to set the balls rolling.

But I just realized that there is no better time than now.

I work with an IOC as well but have resolved to quit the job if that's all it takes, to get further education, internationally. I shall be leaving by FALL this year.

One thing is sure in education; 'the higher you go, the cooler is becomes'.

You would have a boundless stream of opportunities better than where you are now, after your studies abroad. But on the grounds that you remain dedicated and excel in your career.

I wish you the best.

1 Like

Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by emmaxy22(m): 10:49am On May 04, 2016
Hey bro............I think you should go for the masters program abroad. As you said, you're not getting any younger. The earlier the better, because when you return from your masters, definitely you will get a better job than your current job..........Please don't forget the most important thing.Pray about it!!!! All the best wink
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by butanep(m): 11:00am On May 04, 2016
humilitypays:
Good morning my brother, yes I know that our so-called leaders and politicians have really destroyed Nigeria and made us to lose faith and even direction, but still, the few lucky Nigerians like this op, who were lucky enough to secure an oil company job which if he's really honest, must be earning anything between 500k and above monthly plus some other allowances (hazard allowances), etc.

With such salary, he should be able to save like 250k every month, now multiply 250k by 12, that's 3,000,000 million naira savings every year, now multiply it by 4, that's 12,000,000 million naira in 4 years.

What I did is the least calculation because if truly he works with any of the IOCs, then his take home every month shouldn't be less than 700k after 4yrs....but let's assume he earned less, that means he ought to have at least 12million naira savings by now.

With 12million naira savings, and 4yrs active-relevant industry experience, if this fella still doesn't know how to wisely invest that 12million to start yielding at least 100k profit monthly, then he ought to go back to his village and join his grandparents to do peasant farming.

If all the oil company workers we have in Nigeria have this creative investment mentality, we ought to have uncountable number of flourishing small companies employing other youths...but hell no, these guys squander their fat salary+allowances on runs girls, keeping girlfriends in all Nigerian campuses, marrying more than 2 wives secretly, touring the world unnecessarily not even for investment or business trips but for fun.

This is our problem in Nigeria, we love easy comfort! Reason every Nigerian youths dream is to secure job in an oil company to start receiving fat pay and buy luxury car and start to live flamboyant life instantly with no plan to own their own successful company.

For those who may say I would do worst if I am in their shoe, let me give u a big background info of who I am.

I am one of the best graduating students (3rd best with the 3rd highest CGPA) in my school during my set, I got oil jobs (NLNG, both got screened out cos of age), was among the final applicants in NNPC wuru-wuru recruitment which I clearly got on merit but because of the usual Nigerian who-do-know, I got lynched during appointment letter issuance.

I made final stage of: Schlumberger, Oil Test, Mantrac, DHL, Glo, NLN ship manning, NNPC twice, etc, etc.

Now, the very day I got notification that I have passed NLNG final interview, I quickly told my elder brother that we need to register a company...a construction/engineering company so that once I return from NLNG training in Liverpool, we will use my allowances to set the company up running because my brother has awesome experience in engineering/construction, coupled with mine.

My intention was for us to own a successful civil engineering and construction firm in the next 5 - 10yrs that will solve lots of civil engineering problems we have presently in our Nigerian cities

So in conclusion, most Nigerian youths lack creativity and direction; all they want is a good job in another creative man's company so that they can have easy life without laboring for it, it's shameful! The future of Nigeria is in a big mess...who will employ our unborn children if we all refuse to suffer and create companies today that will provide more good jobs for our unborn kids

Our politicians will stole our national common wealth and go and save it in developed countries, seriously, black man is sick!!! cry

Hmmmm... see the way you break down someone income as if you are his employer. I get your point anyway but you might not be absolutely correct. He might be receiving less.

So many youths here in Nigeria has aspirations of becoming employers of labour but they are constrain with many factors. Setting up an industry or a firm in overseas might be much easier than here in Nigeria. I'm not trying to justify people that have the money but refused to invest here in Nigeria but just trying to let you know the environment here in Nigeria is harsh for young entrepreneurs.
Re: Masters Or Stay On Job? by atseyi(m): 7:16pm On May 04, 2016
Well said, i think other Nigerian youth should read this, leaders have failed and i think youths.... new graduates should go through this type of orientation in Nigeria. Creativity makes a brighter future for generations and you are not successful unless you have impacted lives.

humilitypays:

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Senior Soldier Threatens Junior For Addressing Him As "Officer" / 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. / Massachusetts Mother Quits Job After Claiming $758-million Powerball Jackpot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.