Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB (935 Views)

Intels’ Volpi Apologises To NPA, Says Company Will Comply With TSA Policy / Soldier That Foiled Suicide Bomb Attempt On Bakassi IDP, Borno / Appeal Court Reserves Judgment On Ikpeazu’s Sack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by Tiskified(m): 5:20am On May 05, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday stated Nigeria would abide by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) judgment on Bakassi Peninsula.

Speaking at a joint press briefing with President Paul Biya of Cameroon who is on two day state visit to Nigeria, Buhari said the issue of hydrocarbons in the Bakassi region was brought to the attention of the ICJ.

LEADERSHIP recalls that on October 10, 2002, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) sitting at The Hague entered a judgment in the case of the Land and Maritime Boundary between Cameroon and Nigeria.

The ICJ Judgment definitively delimited the frontier between Cameroon and Nigeria from Lake Chad to the sea.

In the Bakassi section, the Court decided that the boundary between Cameroon and Nigeria in Bakassi is delimited in accordance with the Anglo-German Agreement of March 11, 1913 and that the sovereignty over the peninsula lay with Cameroon.

President Buhari said Nigeria had accepted the judgment, but the technical aspect of the international waters had yet to be fully determined.

He said ‎”On this Bakassi Peninsula issue, I will like the government and people of Cameroun to keep their minds at peace, Nigeria we are internationally respectful and abiding nation, somehow there was a crisis between the two nations on Bakassi Peninsula over the hydro carbon exploitation, this issue has been dealt with by the International Court of Justice.

“There is a technical committee of experts, comprising Cameroun and Nigeria sides, until this committee report gets to us and when they submit the report, I expect that with a few of us that are still around, we shall sit together and see what is the best way for the two countries, so feel secured and be at peace.”

Buhari, however, said his administration was alive to its responsibilities and would remain focused in the fight against terror in the region and the continent.

On his part, Biya debunked allegation that his country was reluctant in joining forces with the Lake Chad Basin countries to fight Boko Haram describing it as an effort to malign his country.

He said, “I heard of this information before, I heard it in New York during conference, that Cameroon serves as base for Boko Haram, but what can Cameroon benefit from that?”

“Is it the ideology? Are we going to benefit from finances? No it was just a bad press. Cameroon remains focused and committed to the fight against Boko Haram.

http://leadership.ng/news/523669/nigeria-will-comply-icj-judgment-bakassi-pmb

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by Leobrain(m): 5:27am On May 05, 2016

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by ORACLE1975(m): 5:30am On May 05, 2016
No pain no gain

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by KissCODE(m): 5:44am On May 05, 2016
Paul Biya please it is time to go and rest. You have over tried at least after deceiving Amdhou Ahidjo in 1983, i think it is time to allow DEMOCRACY to visit Cameroun my most cherished country.
The country where i grew into manhood.

As for Bakassi... Britain or no britain. I wonder how oyibo man go come for BLACK man country and divide families & cut off blood relations in the name boundries...

It is a pity

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by chriskosherbal(m): 5:46am On May 05, 2016
Hmmm ok
Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by Siberia101: 5:47am On May 05, 2016
Nice
Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by Taeewo(m): 5:53am On May 05, 2016
Better
Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by tayebest(m): 6:04am On May 05, 2016
KissCODE:
Paul Biya please it is time to go and rest. You have over tried at least after deceiving Amdhou Ahidjo in 1983, i think it is time to allow DEMOCRACY to visit Cameroun my most cherished country.
The country where i grew into manhood.

As for Bakassi... Britain or no britain. I wonder how oyibo man go come for BLACK man country and divide families & cut off blood relations in the name boundries...

It is a pity

Eleyii gidi gan ooo shocked shocked you be cousin to mama piss nii?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by Phame: 6:32am On May 05, 2016
Lol@ 'where I grew manhood'
Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by Agimor(m): 6:33am On May 05, 2016
Biya if you like make Cameroun be safe haven for Boko haram it's to your own detriment. No country makes meaningful development where terrorism is prevalent.
Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by BlackTechnology: 6:36am On May 05, 2016
Buhari has no choice.
The fear of France is the beginning of letting go Bakassi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by Pidggin(f): 7:12am On May 05, 2016
Cursed be all who gave part of our land as a gift to another nation without giving any thoughts to the owners of such land. An oil rich land like Bakassi? Given to Cameroon for nothing? For what?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by koboko69: 7:15am On May 05, 2016
BlackTechnology:
Buhari has no choice.

The fear of France is the beginning of letting go Bakassi

All this kids on NL sef!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by KissCODE(m): 9:00pm On May 05, 2016
tayebest:

Eleyii gidi gan ooo shocked shocked you be cousin to mama piss nii?
mama ke? Lolzzz
Did she grow up in Cameroun?
Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by Nobody: 9:38pm On May 05, 2016
Coward President...I thought ur zombie is saying you are all powerful and has d deadliest army in the world...why not fight back and get back Bakassi...u don't forget you are army general and a warlord? NO fall hand Mr President Buhari...u cant just reel out military tanks and warship for the Niger Delta people and their oil resource...face Bakassi and recover the land!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Will Comply With ICJ Judgment On Bakassi - PMB by ArodeTsolaye: 10:24pm On May 05, 2016
Why won't the dullard hand Bakassi over to Biya. After all, it's not daura that's under dispute.

Now isn't it now glaring that the European created Africa. An Anglo-German document signed in 1913 by Europeans now determines who members of African tribes live with or not. They go to yorubaland, disregard the homogenity of culture and language and with a long ruler and a stroke of the pen, some yorubas become Beninoise, others become nigerians, tearing brothers apart forever but the same yorubas are fighting tooth and nail to preserve the entity created by these europeans .

Do these people really ruminate on their actions and inactions? Pity!

(1) (Reply)

We Increased Fuel Price Because Nigeria’s Broke — LAI MOHAMMED / I ‘ll Pay Workers Not On Strike, Fayose Tells Labour / The Urhobo Peoples Demand:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.