Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,047 members, 7,838,650 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often (21814 Views)

New Tactics Lagos’ Landlords Adopt To Get House Rent From Tenants / Day Of The Bulldozers: Lagos Landlords, Tenants Rendered Homeless Same Day / Lagos Landlords/Residents Of Demolished Buildings Were Warned In March- Ayorinde (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by babajeje123(m): 1:35pm On May 05, 2016
My landlord is terrible. I can't on generator in the morning. When I did, he said even him the landlord is not using gen in the morning. I can only use it from 7-10pm. I can't spread my clothes on this line. He said the lines were meant only for him & his family. He didn't tell me these before I rented the flat.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by bigerboy200: 1:39pm On May 05, 2016
metrosexual:
For me, landlords rarely mess with me.

Make yourself so enticing!

Dress nice!
Smell nice!
Sound nice!
Be polished in etiquette!
Come home like I do, my earphones in my ears, my eyes brimming with vitality and happiness!
Have only "well doing" friends come over!
If you are single and must be a playboy, do it with the bravado of someone who is good at his game!

Lastly, always wire his house rent to his bank account on time if you are renewing your rent, like 2 weeks before the due date, that's how a landlord woke me up with smiles at 7am back then because he got my payment alert by 6am from my internet banking, he was so happy and thanking me grin I became his most "loved" tenant since then cheesy
Very True...U just described my own style tho..I command lots of respect not only from landlord and his wife (landlady)but also the Co tenants..In fact my landlady likes me so much that she was trying her best to hook me with her daughter for serious relationship but I declined with swags..asides her being too fat for my liking, dating her would definitely ruin other paroles.... grin cool

2 Likes

Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by Chukzyfcb(m): 1:51pm On May 05, 2016
To save yourself all those wahala as a landlord, hire an estate management to manager your property. You'll pay them 5-10% of the total rent but you'll free of those tenant wahala....that's how we roll in the fam.
Eg. If your house generates 2million annually, the estate manager will take home between 100-200k, so you are left with 1.8-1.9m instead. He does the work, you receive the alert #division of labour oton
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 05, 2016
abbey621:
Lock your door with Padlock: No responsible landlord will padlock your door before rent is due, it's only thugs that would engage in such an act!

Leech: Again a landlord worth anything would not borrow from tenants, familiarity breeds contempt!

Hike rents: Do you know how much it costs to build a house? If the landlord increases rent then it is justified. You keep forgetting people rent out their houses to make profit not to make friends!

Greed: I'm glad you said some because if someone can struggle to gather enough money to build a house, I'm sure such a person would want to maintain it to the best of his/her abilities!

Intrude: You have every rights to your privacy but there are certain instances where a landlord can intrude. For example: smoking Indian hemp, domestic violence, filth and so on.
thank God u said no responsible land lord would do such but my dear, i have seen alot of it and its not just in lagos
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by Nobody: 2:04pm On May 05, 2016
LesbianBoy:
You sef gaan build your own house na. Nonsense! angry
so becus u build house make person nor get rest abi? y did u put up d house 4 rent? abi na free u give out d house? my friend park well o
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by abbey621(m): 2:05pm On May 05, 2016
frainc:
is like this is what you do to your tenants,

When my ceiling fell (due to the fake slate he use) I was told by my landlord to fix it or leave it

Generally, many of Lagos landlord are wicked

Stop generalizing, it's not only particular to Lagos it can happen in any state. Like I said in my post,it's only the irresponsible ones that would not want to maintain or keep their house in good condition.
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by Nobody: 2:07pm On May 05, 2016
LanreDaMan:
Can we have a balanced argument pls . What of the rubish tenants do in rented apartments.
pls ryt now we are discusin abt d landlord, u are free to make a counter thread
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by frainc(m): 2:07pm On May 05, 2016
abbey621:

Stop generalizing, it's not only particular to Lagos it can happen in any state. Like I said in my post,it's only the irresponsible ones that would not want to maintain or keep their house in good condition.
well, you may be right
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by apotek: 2:40pm On May 05, 2016
True
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by joinnow: 2:53pm On May 05, 2016
Thanks be to God almighty I now stay in my own house and I wish all tenant will build their own house Gods willing.
Yes oooo last year my landlord b4 will be going about the flat peeping into tenants window,even have the gut to tell me one of the tenant (married man with kid)has nothing in his room and because of that will send him packing when his rent expired. For my mind I say but why now.
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by glossy6(f): 2:56pm On May 05, 2016
My landlord did not do any of these to us and today we as landlord and landlady don't put our tenants through those things. instead tenants own dey them body undecided

gloria34:
so becus u build house make person nor get rest abi? y did u put up d house 4 rent? abi na free u give out d house? my friend park well o

Most tenants believe that they can use your facility anyhow because they rented the apartment. Hence you will hear them saying "I don't want to stay in a compound with a live-in landlord "
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by saasala(m): 3:02pm On May 05, 2016
steppin:
@op,
You forgot to add... Asking for house rent when it's not yet due. My Landlord comes to mind. **in his croaked voice** "Abeg Oga, can I get some money from you"? I will deduct it from the rent. Who come send am? I be bank?

Baba, this one don tire me o... My landlord came to me for some money, said he will deduct from my rent while I still have about 9 months left. I told him I am broke but might help when I have money. Gawwd, this man has been disturbing my dear life... I am tired!

But aside this, he is a very good man. I like him.
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 05, 2016
My friend's landlord told his tenants to bring money to put finishing touches to his house! He expected them to help him tile the floors of the staircase and plaster the outside walls etc... Lolz. After collecting rent ooo. They told him to go and sit down jor.
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 05, 2016
joinnow:
Thanks be to God almighty I now stay in my own house and I wish all tenant will build their own house Gods willing.
Yes oooo last year my landlord b4 will be going about the flat peeping into tenants window,even have the gut to tell me one of the tenant (married man with kid)has nothing in his room and because of that will send him packing when his rent expired. For my mind I say but why now.
This takes the cake! Say wetin happen?!!
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by bdek(m): 3:28pm On May 05, 2016
Intrude: An apartment after being paid for, for the duration of the rent should be the tenant’s but some landlords especially those that live in the same house make it their duty to interfere in everything that concerns the tenant. They monitor every single detail that it becomes almost impossible for the tenants to breathe without being criticised.

this is happening to me right now in abuja, and the lardlord wife can borrow anything reach salt once they sight you with shoprite nylon bag ,the next she come knocking door your to borrow
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 05, 2016
glossy6:
My landlord did not do any of these to us and today we as landlord and landlady don't put our tenants through those things. instead tenants own dey them body undecided

Most tenants believe that they can use your facility anyhow because they rented the apartment. Hence you will hear them saying "I don't want to stay in a compound with a live-in landlord "
dats true tho. All tenants are not dsame just d way not all landlords are not dsame but there will always b mad pple
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by de1de1SnrAd: 3:46pm On May 05, 2016
abbey621:
Lock your door with Padlock: No responsible landlord will padlock your door before rent is due, it's only thugs that would engage in such an act!

Leech: Again a landlord worth anything would not borrow from tenants, familiarity breeds contempt!

Hike rents: Do you know how much it costs to build a house? If the landlord increases rent then it is justified. You keep forgetting people rent out their houses to make profit not to make friends!

Greed: I'm glad you said some because if someone can struggle to gather enough money to build a house, I'm sure such a person would want to maintain it to the best of his/her abilities!

Intrude: You have every rights to your privacy but there are certain instances where a landlord can intrude. For example: smoking Indian hemp, domestic violence, filth and so on.

No doubt about it you are a landlord and you are pinched by this post. Well, point you truly made that you build house as a form of business. It"s just that you definitely forgot to mention that it is most JUST that you consider a long time and short time businesses - whereas people like you argue that the mobile telecommunications companies made their profit within the shortest period of time of the commencement of business in Nigeria. you go ahead to call them names: cheats! thieves! and you are quick to add that the government is shortchanging the citizen. By your action, what do we call you, Mr. Landlord?

The likes of you inherit the so called properties and become worst than the dead real owner. So I asked, did you purchase building materials at the rate it is sold at present for a house built before you were born. My advice for you is that you should remember to take along with you to your grave the house rent receipt and the agreement which always form your reasons for sending a tenant out to take in another

2 Likes

Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by babajeje123(m): 4:03pm On May 05, 2016
glossy6:

I can never again stay with any land lord again. Most of them are so terrible. It is only a fool that will use other people's properties anyhow. I don't do that. My land lord is just victimizing me. How can you say I can't use Gen in the morning or I can't spread my clothes on the line? You won't believe that I'm spreading my clothes on fence after paying 420k. I'm just praying that my rent should lapse so I can leave. Living in that house is like hell for me!
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by abbey621(m): 4:23pm On May 05, 2016
de1de1SnrAd:

No doubt about it you are a landlord and you are pinched by this post. Well, point you truly made that you build house as a form of business. It"s just that you definitely forgot to mention that it is most JUST that you consider a long time and short time businesses - whereas people like you argue that the mobile telecommunications companies made their profit within the shortest period of time of the commencement of business in Nigeria. you go ahead to call them names: cheats! thieves! and you are quick to add that the government is shortchanging the citizen. By your action, what do we call you, Mr. Landlord?

The likes of you inherit the so called properties and become worst than the dead real owner. So I asked, did you purchase building materials at the rate it is sold at present for a house built before you were born. My advice for you is that you should remember to take along with you to your grave the house rent receipt and the agreement which always form your reasons for sending a tenant out to take in another

You have no basis to argue on,for what you wrote above is pure trash! Even if a landlord inherited a house, he or she still has every right to choose the type of tenant and the price of rent each year. If you read carefully what you commented on,you would notice some of the points which tags landlords who locks tenants door and those who do not maintain their house as irresponsible! As long as a landlord behaves professionally and does the necessary maintenance, I see no reason why tenants would frown at rent increases. It's either you pay or pack out!!! From your frustrations it is clear you've never built a thing in your life, so you do not know the effort and costs associated with building a house, my advice to you is to pray to God and work harder, maybe one day you too can become a landlord!

1 Like

Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by hohafrank(m): 4:25pm On May 05, 2016
He claims that the pumping machine is his property and pumps water once in a day having paid for monthly water usage and comes around to collect money for well and machine repairs.
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by gabbytabby: 4:57pm On May 05, 2016
We all try to tolerate the nepa situation but there has to be some working rules cos the average 9ja gat problem. People need to be able to sleep most have a set time to put off the gen usually 11pm to 6am.

A cloth line is between 4-7k why not get your own na by force to share another's property.

babajeje123:

I can never again stay with any land lord again. Most of them are so terrible. It is only a fool that will use other people's properties anyhow. I don't do that. My land lord is just victimizing me. How can you say I can't use Gen in the morning or I can't spread my clothes on the line? You won't believe that I'm spreading my clothes on fence after paying 420k. I'm just praying that my rent should lapse so I can leave. Living in that house is like hell for me!
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by Xtanixlax(m): 5:10pm On May 05, 2016
sonnie10:
If you sell things there, especially consumer goods they want to take things for you to deduct it from rent. My landlord credit don enter 2019 and he still expects me to pay the yearly rent or I pack out.
Lol....,continue giving him on credit, by year 2030 u wud hv giving him enof to own the building.Now meet him one early morning wit an attorney to discuss the terms and hw much he will nw be paying as rent
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by remele2(f): 6:28pm On May 05, 2016
Yarnvibes:
Some Lagos landlord see themselves as demi-gods, formulating rules that only favour them. A lot of Nigerians spend almost all they earn on rent and food, yet some landlords are hell-bent on increase their rents monthly or yearly as the case maybe.

Tenants in Lagos go through a lot at the hands of these type of landlords and the landlords more often than not get away with their excesses because there are no stringent rules holding them accountable. For some who have experienced some of the unconventional things landlords in Lagos do, this piece by Yarnvibes would only take you down memory lane…

Lock your door with Padlock: You will be so shocked to return home from work one stressful day and find your door locked with a padlock other than the one you used in the morning before leaving and BOOM!!! it hits you in the face – your good-old-landlord came calling and just had to do something to make you feel worthless just because your rent is due in two weeks.

Leech: You would probably need a sharp tool to unplug them from your stuff. These kind of landlords can borrow anything from their tenant even up to salt. You would just be signing yourself into his trap, the day you refuse to lend him.

Hike rents: A Lagos landlord might as well be tired of seeing your face every morning and would personally decide that the best way to send you packing is to hike the rent when your rent is due and it doesn’t matter whether you’re a new tenant or not, because no one will hold him responsible, its his house afterall.

Greed: Some landlords would be right on time to collect their rents but would completely disappear when they have to fix something in the house. They expect you to pay the rent and fix something that naturally should be their responsibility.

Intrude: An apartment after being paid for, for the duration of the rent should be the tenant’s but some landlords especially those that live in the same house make it their duty to interfere in everything that concerns the tenant. They monitor every single detail that it becomes almost impossible for the tenants to breathe without being criticised.

What do you think

http://yarnvibes.com/5-abnormal-things-lagos-landlords-do-often/

My own will say but I begged u for some money last week and u said the economy is bad.. And I watch you blowing your Gen like you work with an oil company.. cheesy grin
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by molaross: 7:02pm On May 05, 2016
what about wicked tenants, they will never pay when their tenancy is due. the house l manage, I have tenant that claims big man, drove big car but 2 to 3 month after his tenancy expire I will still be begging him to pay cos I don't want to be wicked landlord. utility bills such has lawma, Nepa, security he will never pay in time that is if he pay. any tenants that pay on his behalf will later regret it. many of us will not understand now until we become landlord, it will now be d other way round. I pray we all become landlord so we can experience both.

1 Like

Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by babajeje123(m): 7:13pm On May 05, 2016
gabbytabby:
We all try to tolerate the nepa situation but there has to be some working rules cos the average 9ja gat problem. People need to be able to sleep most have a set time to put off the gen usually 11pm to 6am.

A cloth line is between 4-7k why not get your own na by force to share another's property.

God knows I'm not discrediting this man. I can't even put on the Gen till 11 cos I will sleep. There is no light at all where I stay. Don't even expect it. Many times, my wife & I use lamps to prepare for work. We switch over to our phones when they go dim. You can imagine bathing for a 2 month old without proper light. I think the man just likes collecting agent & agreement fees every year!
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by shogz89: 7:19pm On May 05, 2016
molaross:
what about wicked tenants, they will never pay when their tenancy is due. the house l manage, I have tenant that claims big man, drove big car but 2 to 3 month after his tenancy expire I will still be begging him to pay cos I don't want to be wicked landlord. utility bills such has lawma, Nepa, security he will never pay in time that is if he pay. any tenants that pay on his behalf will later regret it. many of us will not understand now until we become landlord, it will now be d other way round. I pray we all become landlord so we can experience both.

you complaining about 3 month's, my dad property some are In almost two years debt, over 300 thousand of unpaid NEPA bill.. NEPA came to disconnect their light and took the wires away, it will only take 4 thousand to collect the wires and reconnection buhbuh the crazy tenant went to the market to spend 9k on reconnection.. Those tenants will be owing you and be using the money to build their own house. Wicked set of people
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by noibilism(m): 7:35pm On May 05, 2016
My Landlady is Pastor of a white garment church. Her church is just in the same compound with us.....mehn! Vigil nights na die! When you complain, you become the devil they will cast and bind the next church program.
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by anigold(m): 8:39pm On May 05, 2016
joliyp:
when u bring ur bf home only for them to start sneaking
the OP forgot to add that some land lady will want nacking... When i was serving in Lag 2012 my land lady wanted kpekus but i said no, na de wahala start...
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by abeeceebee: 9:23pm On May 05, 2016
frainc:
is like this is what you do to your tenants,

When my ceiling fell (due to the fake slate he use) I was told by my landlord to fix it or leave it

Generally, many of Lagos landlord are wicked
Generally speaking, many Lagos tenants are too prejudiced and self centered. Imagine a tenant after paying stipend as his annual house rent expecting the landlord to use the same money for repair in his apartment. Today's tenant forgets that he is always aspiring of becoming landlord one day. Now imagine how it will feel like when all d money that is suppose to be your gain or loan repayment is diverted on unnecessary repair.
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by LoveJesus87(m): 12:23am On May 06, 2016
Holamide222:
Hummm
wat is hummming u fine gal olamide ?
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by clickwtB(m): 6:36am On May 06, 2016
We need a starndard/all emcompassing tenancy law in this country law.
Re: 5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often by uvalued(m): 6:48am On May 06, 2016
noted

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Build A House In Nigeria / Rent: Awka, Onitsha Residents Lament Hike In Rents / Fake Landlady Absconds With 16 Million From 65 Potential Tenants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.