Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,484 members, 7,812,503 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:23 PM

FACT-CHECK: Buhari’s Claim Untrue: Journalists Being Detained, Harassed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FACT-CHECK: Buhari’s Claim Untrue: Journalists Being Detained, Harassed (581 Views)

FACT-CHECK: Senate Confirmation: How SSS Lied Against EFCC Boss, Magu / Why Are Zamfara State Legislative Officers Being Detained by DSS? / Precious Chikwendu's Throws Birthday Bash Despite FFK Being Detained (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FACT-CHECK: Buhari’s Claim Untrue: Journalists Being Detained, Harassed by HzRF(m): 11:32pm On May 06, 2016
Ahead of World Press Freedom Day on May 3, Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari claimed in a speech that Nigerian journalists were no longer being harassed or detained under his government. At the opening of the Congress of the Federation of African Journalists on April 29, Nigeria’s information and culture minister delivered a speech on behalf of Mr. Buhari in which the president reportedly stated that his administration “has never even contemplated the harassing, not to mention killing, of any journalist.” “The media represents the eyes and ears of the world and attempts to silence it through harassment, arrests, detention and murder of journalists, is akin to making the world go blind and deaf,” Mr. Buhari’s speech read. “I can report to this congress that not a single journalist is being detained or harassed in Nigeria today. “This government is not a threat to the media, and it is not about to stifle press freedom or deny anyone his or her constitutionally guaranteed rights.” ‘Far from the truth’ The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) lists 19 journalists that were killed between 1992 and 2013 in Nigeria. In 10 cases the motive was confirmed as being related to their work. Because no one has been convicted of the murder of the journalists, Nigeria is ranked 13th on the CPJ’s 2015 Global Impunity Index , which spotlights countries where the killers of journalists walk free.
Re: FACT-CHECK: Buhari’s Claim Untrue: Journalists Being Detained, Harassed by HzRF(m): 11:33pm On May 06, 2016
Re: FACT-CHECK: Buhari’s Claim Untrue: Journalists Being Detained, Harassed by StepTwo: 11:40pm On May 06, 2016
na wao, wrtin i wan talk for here sef?
Re: FACT-CHECK: Buhari’s Claim Untrue: Journalists Being Detained, Harassed by nnachukz(m): 12:26am On May 07, 2016
The old liar lied once again.

3 Likes

Re: FACT-CHECK: Buhari’s Claim Untrue: Journalists Being Detained, Harassed by Nobody: 6:33am On May 07, 2016
Buhari the Pinnochio LieNus Mba...

Re: FACT-CHECK: Buhari’s Claim Untrue: Journalists Being Detained, Harassed by OlujobaSamuel: 7:28am On May 07, 2016
I thought he said his government since may 29, abi which one be 2013 records

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Nigeria Like This? / I Want To Go Back To Sambisa To Meet My Husband- Rescued 9-year-old Girl / New Qualification For Senators & Representatives.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.