Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin (54860 Views)

The New Oba Of Benin In His Freemason Regalia. / Meet The New OBA Of Benin First Son (photo) / New Oba Of Benin 7th Virgin Wife Crowned Queen, 1st 3wives To Live As Outcasts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by mark3009(m): 6:45am On May 08, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Have you forgot what happened between Oba Esighie and his elder brother Aruaran, ?
They fought because of the this stool. Aruaran was killed by Iyoba (Queen Idia).
That was because it was not clear who the first son was. Aruan was said to have been born first but his birth was not reported to the palace for appropriate rituals but esigie who was born few hours later was the first to be reported to the palace.
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by mark3009(m): 6:51am On May 08, 2016
Niyinficient:

The guy aired his belief,his conviction, his faith and you all want to kill him, may God have mercy. Tomorrow now u all will wear clothes n go to church forming christians,and u can't even boldly associate wit d name of Christ on social media! Truly d end is here!
He did not air his belief he just pronounced condemnation on another human being. Since when did Christianity become synonymous with intolerance and bigotry. The truth is that many of us who profess to be Christians are really far from emulating the character of Christ. Study the life of Jesus and you will discover he was the most tolerant and accommodating leader who ever walked the face of the earth.

1 Like

Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by sexy74(m): 6:53am On May 08, 2016
Niyinficient:

The guy aired his belief,his conviction, his faith and you all want to kill him, may God have mercy. Tomorrow now u all will wear clothes n go to church forming christians,and u can't even boldly associate wit d name of Christ on social media! Truly d end is here!
Airing your belief or conviction does not give you the privilege or right to condemn anyone.
Remember the Bible said judge not.

1 Like

Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by mark3009(m): 6:55am On May 08, 2016
Niyinficient:

We assume and sum up opinion my wat we see and hear and read....the guy red about d person in question performing rituals...and I bet dat led to his opinion of hell...cos his doctrine states anyone who perform such things are hell bound....though d bible says one shudnt judge!

And then who is deceiving who? Why ar we hypocrites who can't stand up to their believes? Stealing is stealing no matter d cause for it...sin is sin, no matter d cause... ritualists are ritualists irrespective of who is involved! All these things are doctrines.
And u just can't comprehend that in a secular state we all have a right to choose our religions and doctrines. How will you feel if a muslim alfa or a juju priest made a pronouncement concerning you because you are not following his doctrine.

1 Like

Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by neocortex: 7:11am On May 08, 2016
stexsy:
Hell fire designate....

Repent and give ur life to Christ

Free yourself from mental slavery.
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by AreaFada2: 7:25am On May 08, 2016
BiafranAmerican:
How much is the salary of Oba and what is the constitutional role of Oba apart from marrying plenty wives, in a democracy.
Oba only gets a stipend. Under 10 million yearly. But gifts and stuff from subjects, visitors and well wishers can be a lot more.

It really is not about money at all. Most have been successful businessmen, top civil servants/ military officers, ambassadors, etc. Wealthy enough in their own right.

In 9ja constitution, monarchs are custodians of history, culture, tradition and custom. They broker peace between feuding politicians thereby calming the polity. They also settle land disputes, family and community disputes.

Don't underestimate their reach and influence. Especially first class Obas/Emirs/Obis/Obongs.

1 Like

Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by habsydiamond(m): 7:39am On May 08, 2016
Benin people congratulation oo. Make una just dey enta italy anytime una like be that. With ur new king, there is visa to italy for every citizen of benin.
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:39am On May 08, 2016
mark3009:

That was because it was not clear who the first son was. Aruan was said to have been born first but his birth was not reported to the palace for appropriate rituals but esigie who was born few hours later was the first to be reported to the palace.
Bro, that wasn't the reason why Esigie was chose. Try watch this movie by Lancelot Oduwa Imaseun, pardon me I can't remember the title. The film was about Oba Ozolua, Oba Esigie, Aruan and Queen Idia. In that movie it was clarified that when Aruan was born he didn't cry and in Benin tradition if the first child doesn't cry, the second son would be the crown Prince. Please try watch the movie.
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:41am On May 08, 2016
factsdigger:
That to show you,their tradition is mere fraud,cheating other siblings right to thrown,how can one lineage continue rulling and denying other siblings?when they are not bastards.
That is their culture, we have to respect it. All this position would end on this earth.
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by mark3009(m): 7:56am On May 08, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Bro, that wasn't the reason why Esigie was chose. Try watch this movie by Lancelot Oduwa Imaseun, pardon me I can't remember the title. The film was about Oba Ozolua, Oba Esigie, Aruan and Queen Idia. In that movie it was clarified that when Aruan was born he didn't cry and in Benin tradition if the first child doesn't cry, the second son would be the crown Prince. Please try watch the movie.
That is exactly my point i just didn't want to go into too much historical details. Aruans birth was not reported early because he did not cry at birth so his younger brother's birth was reported first so he became the crown prince even though he was not the elder. I was just trying to explain the reason why a younger son ascended the throne instead of the eldest son.
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Niyinficient(m): 8:09am On May 08, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Lol.. Is there. Islam says there is no compulsion in religion.
If he wants to preach about Christ as you said. It shouldn't be on this thread. There is nothing bad in evangelising but, let it be done in a good way.

Of all the mentions, only you deserve my response. To preach the Gospel of christ is witout limit. Yes! Witout limit! Cos the devil and his cohorts are everywhr, they don't choose whr to operate, they have no limit so why must we choose whr to preach Christ? If evil is everyhr, goodwill should b everywhr....the world is trying to suppress salvation and strengthen damnation!

Peace b unto u brother!
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Beremx(f): 8:13am On May 08, 2016
KINGinVALHALA3:
Ohhh, beautiful! Bini, Esan or Auchi?
Auchi
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Lawrence6(m): 9:00am On May 08, 2016
Pls my brothers from edo a very important question,since d oba doesn't see his first son,what if d first son now dies b4 him will d second son whom d oba have seen for ages still ascend into the throne?
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:06am On May 08, 2016
Niyinficient:

Of all the mentions, only you deserve my response. To preach the Gospel of christ is witout limit. Yes! Witout limit! Cos the devil and his cohorts are everywhr, they don't choose whr to operate, they have no limit so why must we choose whr to preach Christ? If evil is everyhr, goodwill should b everywhr....the world is trying to suppress salvation and strengthen damnation!

Peace b unto u brother!
Do you know Abeokuta street in Ebute Metta? If you know this street, I would be glad. The street is the home of Reform Ogboni Fraternity headquarter. When is their time for meeting you can go there and tell them you want to preach for them in their place of worship. Anything your eye see, you have to accept it.
Why do we like to cause trouble when there is none?
Religion is not by force.
Shalom
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:08am On May 08, 2016
mark3009:

That is exactly my point i just didn't want to go into too much historical details. Aruans birth was not reported early because he did not cry at birth so his younger brother's birth was reported first so he became the crown prince even though he was not the elder. I was just trying to explain the reason why a younger son ascended the throne instead of the eldest son.
Alright bro.
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by alvan06(m): 9:21am On May 08, 2016
AceRoyal:

Even Jesus respected the customs of the land.
Give what belongs to Caesar to Caesar,and Wat belongs to God,to God.
As a proud Edo man,we value our customs and traditions......

Oba gha to kpe e!
Ise!
while Jesus Christ respected the law He warned that thou shall worship God only and there's no other means of salvation except through Jesus Christ and traditions shall pass away.
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Niyinficient(m): 9:25am On May 08, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Do you know Abeokuta street in Ebute Metta? If you know this street, I would be glad. The street is the home of Reform Ogboni Fraternity headquarter. When is their time for meeting you can go there and tell them you want to preach for them in their place of worship. Anything your eye see, you have to accept it.
Why do we like to cause trouble when there is none?
Religion is not by force.
Shalom

Caalm down bros, I never mentioned 'force' no one is forcing anyone to do anything....preaching/spreading/sharing ain't d same as forcing...
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Prettiepearlz(f): 10:17am On May 08, 2016
Juxtified:
Oba gha to kpe e!
Ise
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Prettiepearlz(f): 10:18am On May 08, 2016
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 10:24am On May 08, 2016
http://www.whenweruled.com/articles.php?lng=en&pg=14

50 Greatest Africans - Oba Esigie & Oba Ewuare

[b]21. Oba Esigie of Benin (ruled c.1504-c.1550 AD)
Great ruler of the southern Nigeria region who commissioned great art
[/b]

Great Benin, also known as Edo, was an important state that flourished in southern Nigeria. Oba Esigie ascended the throne in c.1504 and had a long and eventful reign of perhaps 46 years. He introduced a special post in the administration for his mother called the Iyoba, the Queen Mother. A Dutch chronicler would report a century later that the Oba "undertakes nothing of importance without having sought her counsel". The art of the time reflects this reality. Esigie commissioned a highly improved metal art that has since achieved worldwide distinction. Of the best-known pieces are the famous Queen Mother Idia busts. Professor Felix von Luschan, a former official of the Berlin Museum für Völkerkunde, stated that: "These works from Benin are equal to the very finest examples of European casting technique. Benvenuto Cellini could not have cast them better, nor could anyone else before or after him … Technically, these bronzes represent the very highest possible achievement."

Affonso d'Aveiro and other Portuguese agents returned to Benin. They aroused Esigie's interest in the possibility of acquiring firearms from Portugal for future campaigns. There was, however, a catch. Manuel, the Portuguese king wrote Esigie, explaining to him that: "When we see that you have embraced the teachings of Christianity like a good and faithful Christian, there will be nothing within our realms which we shall not be glad to favour you, whether it be arms or cannon and all other weapons of war for use against your enemies; of such things we have a great store, as your ambassador Dom Jorge will inform you."

It was not to be. In 1516 and without Portuguese arms, Esigie scored a crushing defeat on Igala to the north. They had attempted an invasion that posed a threat to the very existence of Benin. Esigie compelled the defeated Igala to pay reparations. The Portuguese king did, however, send missionaries to Benin who successfully converted the Oba's son to the Christian faith. Bini Christians also established a few churches in Benin City at Ogbelaka, Idumwerie, and Akpakpava. The last church became the Holy Cross Cathedral. Christianity, however, remained distinctly a minority religion largely restricted to a few members of the court. It seems that the indigenous religion was just too well organised to be undermined by this foreign threat.

22. Oba Ewuare the Great of Benin (ruled c.1440-c.1473 AD)
Greatest ruler of the southern Nigeria region

Great Benin, also known as Edo, was an important state that flourished in southern Nigeria. In the fifteenth century, it was an empire distinguished by the sumptuousness and comfort of its capital, Benin City, and by the refinement of its royal art. Oba (i.e. King) Ewuare the Great, founder of the empire, reigned between c.1440 and c.1473. Noted as a brilliant ruler, he is remembered for strong leadership and military prowess. Marching against 201 towns and villages over the southern Nigeria region, he captured their leaders and compelled the masses to pay tribute. Among the subdued regions were Eka, Ekiti, Ikare, Kukuruku, and the Igbo territories west of the Niger River.

An able politician, he used religious authority and intimidation, as well as constitutional reforms, to strengthen his hand. He appointed a new tier of bureaucrats creating a strongly centralised system to administer his empire. These bureaucrats, the Town Chiefs, were appointed to undermine the control of the hereditary Palace Chiefs. One of the Town Chiefs headed the newly created standing army. Modern historians give different and conflicting explanations of how this worked but Stride and Ifeka explain it thus: "Benin was apparently governed by the Oba, the Uzama and the palace chiefs. The palace chiefs were divided into three associations of title holders: the chamberlains, household officials and the harem-keepers. Palace chiefs both inherited and achieved their titles by paying fees to their association. What Ewuare found was that the palace chiefs were too powerful … To strengthen the Obaship, Ewuare … introduced another association of chiefs, the town chiefs … They generally obtained their title on appointment by the Oba: only one title was hereditary. Ewuare appointed four town chiefs to increase his authority against the palace officials; later their number was much enlarged by Ewuare successors. Town chiefs played an important part in the government and the senior town chief, the Iyashere, became the commander-in-chief of the army. They sat with the palace chiefs and the Uzama on the State Council, which Ewuare was said to have set up."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by uncleade(m): 11:33am On May 08, 2016
TO THOSE WHO STILL BELIEVE THE WORD OBA AND THE BENIN KINGDOM HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YORUBA RACE. IYOBA ,THE QUEEN MOTHER MEANS WHAT? INFACT,ALL I KNOW IS THAT IYOBA IS A YORUBA WORD THAT SIGNIFIES IYA - OBA.
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 08, 2016
Beremx:
Auchi
Good to dear.
That makes us inlaws. Lol

Hope you would be voting my candidate for miss Nairaland 2016?
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by ALISMILE(m): 3:26pm On May 08, 2016
EdCure:

Stop bombing this thread with your moslem culture. Nobody want to hear it here.

Dem dey talk better thing, you dey mention Islam. Where do those terrorists that bomb themselves and kill others in the name of your Arabian deity go to?
Ur obsessive hate for Islam is indeed epic! 1 tin I am certain about is that ur hate is pitifully inconsequential.
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by ALISMILE(m): 3:32pm On May 08, 2016
uncleade:
TO THOSE WHO STILL BELIEVE THE WORD OBA AND THE BENIN KINGDOM HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YORUBA RACE. IYOBA ,THE QUEEN MOTHER MEANS WHAT? INFACT,ALL I KNOW IS THAT IYOBA IS A YORUBA WORD THAT SIGNIFIES IYA - OBA.
Why re u yorubas so envious of the Benin royalty? Is it by force to be affiliated to yoruba? The Benins ve, on many occasions, disclaimed any sort of affiliation to the yorubA! Why re u guys doin by force attachment?
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Beremx(f): 3:39pm On May 08, 2016
KINGinVALHALA3:

Good to dear.
That makes us inlaws. Lol

Hope you would be voting my candidate for miss Nairaland 2016?
who's your candidate?
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 4:04pm On May 08, 2016
Beremx:
who's your candidate?
Don't shout it loud my inlaw, lol

Does your pm work?
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Beremx(f): 4:10pm On May 08, 2016
KINGinVALHALA3:
Don't shout it loud my inlaw, lol
Does your pm work?
yes it does
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 08, 2016
Beremx:
yes it does
Nice!
Can I send you a pm, let's talk about it via mails?
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Beremx(f): 4:31pm On May 08, 2016
KINGinVALHALA3:
Nice! Can I send you a pm, let's talk about it via mails?
alright dear
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 08, 2016
Beremx:
alright dear
OK, thanks.

kindly follow me back.
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by lilyheaven: 8:33pm On May 08, 2016
Itaarh:

Na waa o, which one be many years? No be last year e die?
ur oba don die sinceee, u didn't know sef
Re: Ehenenden Erediauwa Is The New Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 01, 2019
You just won the internet! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Took His Family To Cinema In UK (Photos) / Must See - African Bravery In Pictures! / Some Old Pictures Of Nigerian Ethnic Groups And People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.