Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,304 members, 7,829,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! (2299 Views)

Shame On Gtbank! Their Email Support Staff Are Useless / GTB Releases Official Statement On Innoson And EFCC / GTB Reports 91.38 Billion Half Year Pre-tax Profit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by ejibor: 4:31pm On May 07, 2016
My GTB debit card expired February this year, so i decided to renew it, before then i could use my debit card for withdrawals, ATM transfers and USSD transactions, but after i collected the new one, i noticed i could no longer do USSD transactions, i thought it was because it was a new one at first, but the problem persisted, so i decided to to get a token for online transactions as well, i did get the token but could not make online transactions, I tweeted at GTB for explanations and they asked me to call, i did and was told i needed to initiate a security question since my account did not have one, i then went to the same branch in Ilaje, Ajah where i have been trying to sort all these things out. - By the way, the terrible thing about the Ilaje branch is that, of the three GTB branches in the area (two in Ikota complex and one in Ilaje), only the Ilaje branch has Customer Service Unit, the other ones do not, so the whole area goes to that branch alone with their problems, the CSU chamber itself is always hot, the windows are without blinds, a room that is supposed to have at least seven 2 horse power AC units only has four, and with the teeming crowd that packs in there (with body odors and heat), little wonder why the staffs (mostly ladies) easily get overwhelmed -.
So for an issue that was supposed to take 10 mins, i ended up spending two and a half hours as usual just to initiate a security question, when i gave the form to the lady, she asked me if i wanted to update my residential address as well given that the address on the form i filled is different from the one on the system? i said NO, just the security question alone (because i have been trying to change my phone number for months now without luck, i just did not want the stress of address as well), she said okay, that by the next day i could do my wire thingies.

By two days later i still could not, so on a saturday i went to their Deposit ATM in ikota to pay money into the account so i could do ATM transfers to pay for some stuffs, only for me to finish funding my account to be told that my account has been blocked. Why didnt you guys stop me from funding it?!!

I called them and they told me i have not submitted my utility bill for the new address, i was mad. What address? the same one i told the lady not to bother with? No problem, i went to the lady on tuesday May 2, madam please undo whatever you did, she apologized and said it will be open before the close of business that day. By the next day, my account was still blocked, i called them again and they told me they will call the branch and ensure the account was unblocked.

By Friday May 6 my account was still blocked, ( i just did not have the time to go back to that branch to stand for another 3 hours just to say few words) so i called them again, and i was told that i was asked to bring a utility bill for the new address before the account will be opened, this was where i lost my cool.

First of all, when i called the last guy and he found out that they are insisting i bring utility bill, why did he not call me back to inform me?

After he had told me that within 24 hours the account will be opened, why did i have to call again to hear this? And what right does GTB have to insist that i bring the utility bill of the new address? Did i tell them that i want to change my address? what if the address i mistakenly filled in the form was the address of a friend i was visiting or squatting with or a former apartment address, how is it their business when they already have a valid address in their system that i have said i DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE?!

All these i asked the customer contact center guy that took my call. he agreed with me and said it was wrong of them and it was a mistake. I also asked him, why was i not called to be informed of the irresponsible stance of asking me to bring utility bill before i called them? He apologized again and told me he will try to get me answers that same day, that he will call me back to give me feed back.

Well shame on GTB again and again because up till this very moment the gentleman has not called back and my account is still BLOCKED!

A restriction was put on my account because somebody decided to update my address without my consent and now they are insisting i bring a utility bill without even letting me know that they are insisting and waiting on it.

So i am supposed to find a utility bill for that address whether its my current residential address or not, so that the day they will go there to do verification and not find me there they will BLOCK the account again abi?

I dash them the money wey dey that account, make dem cook am chop. Silly Irresponsible Bank!!

EJIRO LESLIE
Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by dollaflow(m): 4:34pm On May 07, 2016
hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by whirlwind7(m): 4:42pm On May 07, 2016
I know that feeling.
Pretty sure if you could do so right now, you would walk into that hall and gun down their silly employees who are putting you through this stress.
Remember the IMF ratings which shows Naija is one of the worst places to do business? Things like this will give you a clue on how they arrived at that verdict.

Computers and the internet has made business and transactions easier across the world. In Naija, it simply made certain things more complicated. Largely because of the in-actions of organizations like this who couldn't be bothered, so long as they are not at the receiving end.

4 Likes

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by abimbawealth(f): 4:48pm On May 07, 2016
O ma shey...

1 Like

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by Khd95(m): 4:49pm On May 07, 2016
Similar problem my friend has witht that same bank

His parents sent him his school fees,nd his accnt was bocked,on a flimsy ecxuse that he was not supposed to ve more than 20k on his accnt(i dnt no waht kinda accnt is that sadsadsad)

he was asked to bring utility bill of d address he filled in,nd my guy dey sch,and also a valid id card,before they can do anything(upgrade the accnt)...my guy tried to explain that he doest ve access to the bill sinnnce he is sch,nd d portal for fee payment will close,them no listen...that was when he went to their nearest branch nd shout on their heads,...he was eventually settled witout the mumu utility bill,so op do d same thing oo,dnt forget that money with them oo

1 Like

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by Danfuster(m): 5:07pm On May 07, 2016
OP... Go there very early in the morning... Don't bath, don't even bother to brush. Go there, shout at them... Keep shouting until their manager comes out and ask to speak with you personally. Make sure you exhibit your level of smartness... hence, the manager might just signal the security to throw you out.

Treathing their asses with reporting them to CBN, twitter, Facebook and other media platform.

2 Likes

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by Randerl: 5:33pm On May 07, 2016
So this bank is very crude to this point. No seamless IT integration, what a shame.

1 Like

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by Firmjudge(m): 11:49pm On May 07, 2016
Look man up I once bought a bottled of water walked into their bank sat down with a so called account officer i told him clearly in my house we dont use nepa light na solar we day use I told him we dnt use Waterboard.

so better open the dame shuff after like 30min they opened it I packed all my money commo.t.

I havent seen nepa light for 5 weeks now one mumu day expect me to pay bill hediots

4 Likes

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by 9ja4show: 2:00pm On May 08, 2016
Gtbank is a great bank no doubt but their internet service is the poorest in the country.

I got a token from them and after few weeks , it couldn't make transfers because its always telling me invalid transaction, I called them and they told me my token is damaged when it was till providing digits and I should get a new one , I just deactivated it.

It's safer to go into the banking hall to make transactions with gtbank than internet banking or atm. Or better still switch to zenith bank , their internet service is the best , since I started using it I haven't experienced any problem with them..

Bank with zenith bank for swift transactions. This Is not an advert just my personal view

1 Like

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by WHIZKIDEFE(m): 3:10pm On May 08, 2016
Zenith bank have one of the best customer service online/offline. Last week, i resolved some issues with my account with the help of their online rep. We had a live chat and the problem was rectified within minutes..

1 Like

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by saaedlee: 5:41pm On May 08, 2016
GTB is something else in terms of customer service; I had an account with them and I transfered 4. 3million into the account so I can pay my younger brother's school fees in Russia. Immediately I transfered the money, they froze the account. I actually thought that it was a network probelm while trying to initiate the transfer to his account, but after 3 hours I still couldn't initiate the transfer so I called their CSU, they said the money was huge and such there is a limit on my account, I asked the girl to check the account statement for the past 3 years that she'll discover that about the same amount passes through my account every march or april, she said she'll call me back within the hour. I waited for 3 hours still no call, I then called back, a different person answered and said I need to update my account details as my birth date is incorrect. Haba,

I got to the bank the next working day monday(since this happen on Wednesday evening and I couldn't go to the bank on thurs and friday) and immediately I laid the complain, I was taken to a room to wait as they are working on the account and it could take some hours, they even offered me soft drinks and nuts. 30 minutes later some plain clothed policemen came in, identified themselves as EFCC officials, saying that I was under arrest. I immediately speed dialed my command control room and told them the branch and name of the EFCC official that I saw on the identity card. Well I followed them in their bus having handed over my car keys to one of them. (All these while I never revealed my identity) By the time we got to their head office, all the CSU agents I talked to on phone, were already there giving false statement about stopping a fraudulent transfer.
That was when I got angry, brought out my identity card, introduced myself properly and you could see those CSU agents panting, I asked them, did they see the name of the account where the said money originated from? Well to cut the story short, I CLOSED MY ACCOUNT. My advice, change banks. Zenith has it own devils, but its a friendlier one.

3 Likes

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by ladel(m): 7:56pm On May 08, 2016
This same branch took a month to get my gaps token activated. To be honest, I think they should just close down other banking transactions at that branch and deploy all staff for customers service purposes alone. The issues are too many and it could be frustrating when the staff themselves cannot guide you through it or are giving you conflicting personal opinions on the way forward

1 Like

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by ican2020: 6:15am On May 09, 2016
saaedlee:
GTB is something else in terms of customer service; I had an account with them and I transfered 4. 3million into the account so I can pay my younger brother's school fees in Russia. Immediately I transfered the money, they froze the account. I actually thought that it was a network probelm while trying to initiate the transfer to his account, but after 3 hours I still couldn't initiate the transfer so I called their CSU, they said the money was huge and such there is a limit on my account, I asked the girl to check the account statement for the past 3 years that she'll discover that about the same amount passes through my account every march or april, she said she'll call me back within the hour. I waited for 3 hours still no call, I then called back, a different person answered and said I need to update my account details as my birth date is incorrect. Haba,

I got to the bank the next working day monday(since this happen on Wednesday evening and I couldn't go to the bank on thurs and friday) and immediately I laid the complain, I was taken to a room to wait as they are working on the account and it could take some hours, they even offered me soft drinks and nuts. 30 minutes later some plain clothed policemen came in, identified themselves as EFCC officials, saying that I was under arrest. I immediately speed dialed my command control room and told them the branch and name of the EFCC official that I saw on the identity card. Well I followed them in their bus having handed over my car keys to one of them. (All these while I never revealed my identity) By the time we got to their head office, all the CSU agents I talked to on phone, were already there giving false statement about stopping a fraudulent transfer.
That was when I got angry, brought out my identity card, introduced myself properly and you could see those CSU agents panting, I asked them, did they see the name of the account where the said money originated from? Well to cut the story short, I CLOSED MY ACCOUNT. My advice, change banks. Zenith has it own devils, but its a friendlier one.
Banks setting up their good customers and helping public office holders to loot Nigeria.
God punish GTB BIG time

1 Like

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by ejibor: 9:49am On May 09, 2016
My goodness!!! na wa!

saaedlee:

Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by ejibor: 9:51am On May 09, 2016
exactly! I HATE that branch!!!

ladel:
This same branch took a month to get my gaps token activated. To be honest, I think they should just close down other banking transactions at that branch and deploy all staff for customers service purposes alone. The issues are too many and it could be frustrating when the staff themselves cannot guide you through it or are giving you conflicting personal opinions on the way forward
Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by ejibor: 3:20pm On May 09, 2016
IMAGINE GTB's REPLY TO ME:

Hi Ejiro Emuobor .
Thank you for talking to us. We apologize for the delay in responding to you. We sincerely empathize with you on any unpleasant experience you may have had with us. Changing your mobile number on our ATM is very easy and self-explanatory. When you slot-in your card, you will see the notice on the transaction menu.

Account profile update inside banking halls requires you provide a valid means of ID bearing your account name. You may need to get such ID to be able to make the update.

For the other complaint. please note that if the CIS officer had made changes on your account it wouldn't have being restricted. If there are discrepancies in the form you filled and the information you have with us in your account profile there would automatically be a restriction on your account and a utility bill would be needed as it is an essential and mandatory requirement for any account opened in a Bank. It ensures that we are acquainted with your identity and is also an industry requirement.

Also note that when an account is blocked or restricted you can only make credit transactions but cannot make debit transactions until the restriction is lifted.

We empathize with you once again and we advise you please provide the utility bill requested for the new address you stated in the form or you visit the branch and fill an account update form inputting your same old address and present a utility bill with your old address. This will enable us lift the restriction on your account. We apologize for any inconvenience caused and we value you as our customer.
Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by ejibor: 3:28pm On May 09, 2016
AND I REPLIED THEM RIGHT BACK!

thank you for replying me, but i am still disappointed at you guys
i really hate it when am being patronized with some jargons that are meant to prove that the speaker is smarter or has facts or talked to like i am some street dunce.

first of all, for your info, i have tried your ATM phone number update severally and it still doesnt work
the day i went to initiate a security question, i did provide a valid national I.D before the process was initiated so do not tell me to provide one like am stupid enough to go to a bank without one.

the only part any of you have said that has made sense is asking me to provide the utility bill of the former address with you that i said i do not want to change, how come nobody mentioned this earlier?
but even that in itself is erroneous, there is absolutely NO CODE in this world and age that cannot be reverted, NONE!!!
so do not tell me that until i produce a utility bill my account will be automatically restricted, that is just arrant rubbish!!
is it not your tech guys that instituted that code, so why do you make it sound like its impossible to revert?

let me ask you, if the house you stayed in 10 years ago was not your personal home and now you have moved to another location, what are the chances that you can get info from that old apartment right now?
for you guys to have such a lame law as asking me to go and fetch the utility bill of the former apartment i was when i registered the account just goes to tell how poorly you guys are in touch with reality and how careless you guys are for your customers.

this is the very reason a lot of folks do not update their details with you guys because you always find a way to come up with the silliest of processes and seal it up with there is nothing you can do that its the rule'', what STUPID rule!
if you guys can be honest enough to critically analyse your rules, you will see that they are archaic and lack human touch, its almost like you guys expect us to be machines that are static in our ways.

i had an address with you for years, somebody mistakenly updates it and now you are saying for me to revert it to the old one that has been with you for years i have to go back there and get a utility bill for it, when you have that same utility bill in your system that i produced when opening the account.

so if am now in New York, i should find a way to get the bill from the old house, whether the house is still standing or not, whether the landlord is dead or not, whether the property still exists or not, i should just go and manufacture a utility bill for it regardless abi?

my friend please think about it, is that rule not foolish even to the dumbest person?

how can Guaranty Trust Bank that boasts of the best technology in banking in the country be employing such very silly methods for banking in the 21st century?

each time i called you guys, you asked me several questions to prove that i am the owner of the account, i answer all of them satisfactorily, still you are telling me i should go back to where i lived almost ten years ago to go and get utility bill before you can lift the restriction.

Oga or Madam or whoever has just replied me, you guys are still under a rock in that bank of yours, you are living in the caveman days, what you have just explained is so pointless that am ashamed to be associated with your bank in the first place, you guys need an amendment to your rules, even our national Senators come up with more contemporary rules than you guys.

its just unfortunate, am still not impressed. if you had even told me it was a software defect i could have understood but to to say immediately an address is changed the account is restricted and cannot be activated till a utility bill of the new or old address is produced is just terrible.
so you guys did not plan for the eventuality of human error where somebody will mistakenly write 223 isoko street instead of 23 isoko street? so you are telling me that in such situation the person will have to as a matter of must produce utility bill for 223 that does not exist before you can activate the account abi?

then when the person brings a falsified replacement address you will accept it even if he/she does not really live there abi?
na wa. please find another way to solve this problem. if you guys are smart, prove it and come up with another remedy, the one you just offered is just sad.
Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by WHIZKIDEFE(m): 3:52pm On May 09, 2016
ejibor:

i really hate it when am being patronized with some jargons that are meant to prove that the speaker is smarter or has facts or talked to like i am some street dunce.

first of all, for your info, i have tried your ATM phone number update severally and it still doesnt work
the day i went to initiate a security question, i did provide a valid national I.D before the process was initiated so do not tell me to provide one like am stupid enough to go to a bank without one.

the only part any of you have said that has made sense is asking me to provide the utility bill of the former address with you that i said i do not want to change, how come nobody mentioned this earlier?
but even that in itself is erroneous, there is absolutely NO CODE in this world and age that cannot be reverted, NONE!!!
so do not tell me that until i produce a utility bill my account will be automatically restricted, that is just arrant rubbish!!
is it not your tech guys that instituted that code, so why do you make it sound like its impossible to revert?

let me ask you, if the house you stayed in 10 years ago was not your personal home and now you have moved to another location, what are the chances that you can get info from that old apartment right now?
for you guys to have such a lame law as asking me to go and fetch the utility bill of the former apartment i was when i registered the account just goes to tell how poorly you guys are in touch with reality and how careless you guys are for your customers.

this is the very reason a lot of folks do not update their details with you guys because you always find a way to come up with the silliest of processes and seal it up with there is nothing you can do that its the rule'', what STUPID rule!
if you guys can be honest enough to critically analyse your rules, you will see that they are archaic and lack human touch, its almost like you guys expect us to be machines that are static in our ways.

i had an address with you for years, somebody mistakenly updates it and now you are saying for me to revert it to the old one that has been with you for years i have to go back there and get a utility bill for it, when you have that same utility bill in your system that i produced when opening the account.

so if am now in New York, i should find a way to get the bill from the old house, whether the house is still standing or not, whether the landlord is dead or not, whether the property still exists or not, i should just go and manufacture a utility bill for it regardless abi?

my friend please think about it, is that rule not foolish even to the dumbest person?

how can Guaranty Trust Bank that boasts of the best technology in banking in the country be employing such very silly methods for banking in the 21st century?

each time i called you guys, you asked me several questions to prove that i am the owner of the account, i answer all of them satisfactorily, still you are telling me i should go back to where i lived almost ten years ago to go and get utility bill before you can lift the restriction.

Oga or Madam or whoever has just replied me, you guys are still under a rock in that bank of yours, you are living in the caveman days, what you have just explained is so pointless that am ashamed to be associated with your bank in the first place, you guys need an amendment to your rules, even our national Senators come up with more contemporary rules than you guys.

its just unfortunate, am still not impressed. if you had even told me it was a software defect i could have understood but to to say immediately an address is changed the account is restricted and cannot be activated till a utility bill of the new or old address is produced is just terrible.
so you guys did not plan for the eventuality of human error where somebody will mistakenly write 223 isoko street instead of 23 isoko street? so you are telling me that in such situation the person will have to as a matter of must produce utility bill for 223 that does not exist before you can activate the account abi?

then when the person brings a falsified replacement address you will accept it even if he/she does not really live there abi?
na wa. please find another way to solve this problem. if you guys are smart, prove it and come up with another remedy, the one you just offered is just sad.
Well said, bro.
Re: Shame On GTB! Big Shame On Them!!! by WHIZKIDEFE(m): 3:56pm On May 09, 2016
ejibor:

Well said, bro.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Gain 150k Active Whatsapp Views / How Can I Double #40,000 In 3 Months. / Ways To Eliminate Nigeria Scam Reputation And Make More Money Online.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.