Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing (17489 Views)

History Of Nigerian Naira, Symbol, Sign And Worth. / SEE The Nigerian Naira's Exchange Rate To The Dollar As At Today / Brief History Of The Fall Of The Nigerian Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by senzmanto9(m): 7:02am On May 08, 2016
veekid:
Buhari is working
working or walking correct ur self Pls. sad
veekid:
Buhari is working
working or walking correct ur self Pls.
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by ademoladeji(m): 7:03am On May 08, 2016
Una dey expect a very long jump in just 48hrs? Keep expecting miracle as if Buhari na Jesu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by Nobody: 7:04am On May 08, 2016
macaranta:
Its a bit early....budget was just signed some days ago
Yea, it's early actually, but when news like this hit the markets, as much as we are not supposed to see immediate fundamental results, there should certainly be a positive reaction from the market about this news, and that reaction could have at least come in form of 319 to a $1 and not 321 as we have it. Or maybe op got his facts wrong.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by Abrahamtaylour: 7:05am On May 08, 2016
JBismarck:
The Naira is in coma, it needs some time for revival.

Lalasticlala Mogidi
Lol... nawa for you oh
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by shevon: 7:07am On May 08, 2016
A budget that was signed when? How long did it take for NGN to slide from N218 to the present rate? 3 days?
I keep saying this and I always will, I don't belong to any party but we Nigerians are the architect of our present predicament. We always want magicians as policy makes and if Professor Pella had contested for any political office, we'd not have cast one vote for him.
This write up is premature as far as I'm concerned.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by divineappo(m): 7:10am On May 08, 2016
Pls who determines the value of d naira in d parallel market? Pls dont tell me its forces of demand and supply, dat economics bullshit is wat d elite uses in destroying dis nation.
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by seguntijan(m): 7:11am On May 08, 2016
The Niger Delta militants should clap for
themselves . Well-done guys! You say u r fighting for an injustice against your people for polluting your lands and water as result of pipeline linkages and you r blowing up major oil pipelines to litter the entire lands and water. You say u r fighting against poverty in ND and you r reducing to nothing your supposed state allocation from the 13% oil derivations, to the extent that a small state like Bayelsa with only 8 local govt can no longer pay its workers for the past 8 months now. You say u are fighting against massive unemployment of ND youths and you r chasing out investors out already in your lands by blowing up their infrastructures, and announcing to them the hostility of siting any sort of oil company in your environs. Crude oil is Located in ND, but Dangote is building the world's biggest Mega refinery of 650,000brrl/day capacity in Lagos. I just read again another Igbo man from SE building another 150,000brrl/day refining capacity in Lagos, and i asked myself, 'Why Lagos again? Why not in any of the ND oil rich states?' The answer is very simple. Becoz these guys are intelligent investors, they would even prefer to import crude from abroad at international price into their refineries than site their refineries in ND where criminals called Militants will incessantly blew up their oil pipelines to disrupt their production. The cost of importing crude oil even from abroad can never equate the cost of constant ly repairing their broken oil pipelines. Please can someone tell me who are now the real enemies destroying ND?
The govt, the Investors or the militants?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by cardoctor(m): 7:11am On May 08, 2016
ABEG, PUT THE MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS. No need for lengthy speculations.
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by sunnyb0b0(m): 7:12am On May 08, 2016
veekid:
Buhari is working

Did you read d article at all?
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by Nobody: 7:16am On May 08, 2016
sage50:
End times, lets blame GEJ. In 2019 if Nigerians have any sense. When its time for campaign. Attend apc nd pdp rallies nd lynch those politicians. Enuf of suffering and smiling

Well, we could blame the last admin for not saving enough....but the point is....even if they had saved...it won't have done much good either.

Nigeria needs a more stable supply of dollars to keep the Naira strong...and the only way is for us to get rid of the idea that revenues from resources sold= economic prosperity.It does not.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by alizma: 7:20am On May 08, 2016
OP is one of the wailers, we know the way they think and reason. the same way they expect change overnight is the same way they are expecting the signing of the budget to influenced dollar rate in one night.
keep complaining, those of us who voted the man in know he was, and is still our better option when it comes to choosing between Him and Jonathan.

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by Henryadaku(m): 7:20am On May 08, 2016
Chinaimporter:
The naira will fall further against the dollars not rise...since the budget has been signed..the would be a massive inflow of naira into the system...contractors will be paid who will then in turn rush to obtain dollars in other to import goods and construction materials...this huge demand for the dollars will push up the cost of dollars..my prediction is that in one month 1 dollar will be equal to 360 naira

Cock sucking bastard.....Mr predictor go and die if that's your wish for Nigeria fool

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by helpee(m): 7:21am On May 08, 2016
shevon:
A budget that was signed when? How long did it take for NGN to slide from N218 to the present rate? 3 days?
I keep saying this and I always will, I don't belong to any party but we Nigerians are the architect of our present predicament. We always want magicians as policy makes and if Professor Pella had contested for any political office, we'd not have cast one vote for him.
This write up is premature as far as I'm concerned.
there is nothing magical about it. Simple economics. It just shows the investors dont trust the budget . When news break, currencies all over the world react either positively or negatively. For example, if they believe the signing of the budget will strengthen naira against dollar, speculators holding dollars will want to sell in anticipation of rise in naira. Investors can inject money into the system in anticipation of govt spending for their products and services. This can happen in minutes self. It has nothing to do with implementation. So, if the naira is not excited the budget is signed, it means investors dont believe in your budget and that is not too good a news

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by SOPIGO: 7:25am On May 08, 2016
Buhari Government "like no other" will 'CHANGE=CHAIN' the Nigeria economy. I think this is -ve Change oooooo
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by Chinaimporter: 7:28am On May 08, 2016
Henryadaku:

Cock sucking bastard.....Mr predictor go and die if that's your wish for Nigeria fool

It is not my wish but it is logical and well grounded in fact

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by 989900: 7:34am On May 08, 2016
helpee:
there is nothing magical about it. Simple economics. It just shows the investors dont trust the budget . When news break, currencies all over the world react either positively or negatively. For example, if they believe the signing of the budget will strengthen naira against dollar, speculators holding dollars will want to sell in anticipation of rise in naira. Investors can inject money into the system in anticipation of govt spending for their products and services. This can happen in minutes self. It has nothing to do with implementation. So, if the naira is not excited the budget is signed, it means investors dont believe in your budget and that is not too good a news

Your first indicator is the stock market, and that responded positively within hours.

Even if you load a '747' from NY with dollars on Friday afternoon after the budget was signed, won't you have to wait for banks to open on monday?

Not to mention it is not even a straightforward theory with exchange rates.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by playtheblues(f): 7:36am On May 08, 2016
This government is like no other. We are absolutely committed to changing the structure of the Nigerian economy once and for all,” he said.

We have seen the change chain.

Ose!
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by Eluwilussit(m): 7:37am On May 08, 2016
Even an avowed non-believer like me, find this post incredulously hasty and immature. Give pmb a fair chance and time to succeed or fail. Time guys, time.

There's a place, time and reason to wail. Not here. Not now. No reason. Fellow wailers, calm down. It will soon be time to wail. Be prepared! grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by omooba969(m): 7:38am On May 08, 2016
OLADD:

It shows you no little or nothing about economics. One second is enough for a reactionary impact on the value of Naira. All over the world, monumental /colossal economic or political decisions (one of which is budget signing ) trigger almost immediate market reactions but in case of Nigeria, nothing changes.

This has nothing to do with knowing economics & the reaction you are all about only happens while the budget is being read but the over all market sentiment determines the position of the currency.

Once the market dissects & digest the budget & sees that it lacks substance or radical shift in policy or direction, no one would be prepared to buy into Naira. Every investor prefers a safe haven.

You gerrit. cool

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by playtheblues(f): 7:39am On May 08, 2016
He's working for the Fulani Herdsmen.

veekid:
Buhari is working
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by paschu: 7:39am On May 08, 2016
divineappo:
Pls who determines the value of d naira in d parallel market? Pls dont tell me its forces of demand and supply, dat economics bullshit is wat d elite uses in destroying dis nation.

You call it bullshit because you don't understand how the world works. The only thing your brain is wired to crave is manipulative control.
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by wordbank(m): 7:45am On May 08, 2016
Naira, imagine d nonsense name sef
Buhari another nonsense name
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by Henryadaku(m): 7:48am On May 08, 2016
Chinaimporter:

It is not my wish but it is logical and well grounded in fact

Bleep what you stand for or belief....who told you this horeshit.........?? If you don't have anything intelligent or normal to say just keep scrolling
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by shevon: 7:49am On May 08, 2016
helpee:
Chief, let's revisit this Economic Principle by close of business next week and see what happens, not judging by a budget that was signed mid-day on Friday. You talked about investors injecting funds in minutes, was it not the same investors erroded confidence that subject the NGN to its current stress level (added to our own insatiable greed for everything foreign and some people's want to make quick bucks) did that still take minutes to make naira go from what it was to what it is now? I am a certified economist and I know what I'm talking about.
By the way, are you making your postulation based on the fact that you actually ran a "real" market survey of currency trade on Friday after the announcement or where you just specualting based on what the OP posted?

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by vivalavida(m): 7:50am On May 08, 2016
seguntijan:
The Niger Delta militants should clap for
themselves . Well-done guys! You say u r fighting for an injustice against your people for polluting your lands and water as result of pipeline linkages and you r blowing up major oil pipelines to litter the entire lands and water. You say u r fighting against poverty in ND and you r reducing to nothing your supposed state allocation from the 13% oil derivations, to the extent that a small state like Bayelsa with only 8 local govt can no longer pay its workers for the past 8 months now. You say u are fighting against massive unemployment of ND youths and you r chasing out investors out already in your lands by blowing up their infrastructures, and announcing to them the hostility of siting any sort of oil company in your environs. Crude oil is Located in ND, but Dangote is building the world's biggest Mega refinery of 650,000brrl/day capacity in Lagos. I just read again another Igbo man from SE building another 150,000brrl/day refining capacity in Lagos, and i asked myself, 'Why Lagos again? Why not in any of the ND oil rich states?' The answer is very simple. Becoz these guys are intelligent investors, they would even prefer to import crude from abroad at international price into their refineries than site their refineries in ND where criminals called Militants will incessantly blew up their oil pipelines to disrupt their production. The cost of importing crude oil even from abroad can never equate the cost of constant ly repairing their broken oil pipelines. Please can someone tell me who are now the real enemies destroying ND?
The govt, the Investors or the militants?

We are talking budget and this yoruba boy is ranting about the oil in another mans backyard.

Focus on the topic - budget signing and failure of the naira to react

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by grandstar(m): 7:51am On May 08, 2016
989900:

The CBN is coming for those dollars soon (one way or the other . . . Argentina style, or some other more reasonable and diplomatic style). The CBN will crash the rates . . . hoard the dollar to your detriment.

It is risky business to allow banks with nothing to show for it, have that much money in their coffers.

.This is not a banana Republic!
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by vivalavida(m): 7:52am On May 08, 2016
Henryadaku:

Counter his arguement with a sound one. Stop being sentimental and resorting to insults because u have nothing to say

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by bigtt76(f): 7:52am On May 08, 2016
Budget signed on Friday, and you expect Naira to rise on Sunday? Naira na Jesus Christ? grin please allow time joooooor!

lazeal:
The budget, which was signed four months and two weeks after presentation, inspired hope in the Nigerian people, but the naira will have none of that, at least for now.

The naira traded at 321 in Kano on Friday, and sellers are trading at relatively the same price on Saturday.

In Abuja however, the naira traded between 321 and 322 from Thursday till Saturday.

Pounds was also trading between 464 and 467 in Nigeria’s commercial cities – Lagos, Kano, Abuja and Port Harcourt.

Speaking at the budget signing on Friday, Buhari said his government, “like no other”, would change the Nigerian economy.

“This government is like no other. We are absolutely committed to changing the structure of the Nigerian economy once and for all,” he said.

Joseph Nnana, deputy governor, financial system surveillance of the CBN, had earlier said that the naira will rise once the budget is passed.

“Distinguished chairman sir, we have $20bn lying idle in various domiciliary accounts of many customers at the various banks across the country,” he had said.

“This is part of the reasons why the naira has continued to slide against the US dollar. The CBN will embark on aggressive liquidity mop-up to enable the naira regain confidence.

“The CBN will not sit down and watch the consistent fall of the naira. After the passage of the 2016 budget, the naira will begin to bounce back. Those who speculate on dollars will have their fingers burnt.”

The naira has shown no reaction to the signing of the 2016 budget, however, analysts believe that the naira will “marginally recover” against other foreign currencies through the implementation process.

source: https://www.thecable.ng/naira-unchanged-signing-budget

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by grandstar(m): 7:53am On May 08, 2016
If this budget is expansionary, then expect the currency to depreciate
Anything else's a lie

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by Nobody: 7:57am On May 08, 2016
penzino:
Let's just pray for our father land...

God bless me!
God bless you!!
God bless PMB!!!
God bless Nigeria!!!!

We shall rise again, against all odds.........

Aren't you tired of praying?

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by omooba969(m): 7:59am On May 08, 2016
Henryadaku:

Naira is still dancing shoki grin, before you say Jack Daniels you will find Naira dancing sekem towards #400 - $1. cheesy

Keep watching. cool
Re: The Nigerian Naira Failed To Respond To The Euphoria That Came With The Signing by Lexusgs430: 8:00am On May 08, 2016
I just looked outside, I don't see no Naira dancing on my street.
What should be the reaction of the Naira? A frown or smile?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shops At Mokola-Oja Ibadan Razed By Fire (Photos) / BVN FORFEITURE ORDER: Stealing From The Dead / How To Get Funds For Your Small Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.