Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,209 members, 7,818,706 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny (22881 Views)

Lady Returns To Her Black Skin After Bleaching (Before Vs Now Photos) / Lady Who Started Bleaching At 19 But Has Stopped Bleaching Speaks (Photos) / End Time Bleaching Of A Nigerian Lady, What Kind Of Cream Did She Use? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by Karm16: 11:06pm On May 07, 2016
Ibo tell us that their light skin is recessive, yet in every news pictures of iboland, you barely find any lightskin person.
Recessive bleaching creme.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by searchng4love: 11:14pm On May 07, 2016
lmao
Karm16:
Ibo tell us that their light skin is recessive, yet in every news pictures of iboland, you barely find any lightskin person.
Recessive bleaching creme.
or dominant?

2 Likes

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by Dyt(f): 11:18pm On May 07, 2016
Lawcurrent:
tell them cry

Rotflmao
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by thecultivateur(m): 11:19pm On May 07, 2016
God never makes mistakes in his creation. The human dark skin is built to withstand intense radiation from the sun hence due to the high pigmentation of the melanin. There's nothing wrong about having a dark skin. It's only a demented soul will try to make his fellow human to devalue his self-worth

1 Like

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by tammie24: 11:25pm On May 07, 2016
I think you should start minding your business!!!

1 Like

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by martineverest(m): 11:26pm On May 07, 2016
Abbeyunique2:
The most disgusting thing is sight of the green vein
it's sunburn.... It's too irritating

The worst part of it is that: Bleachers are so ignorant. They use bleaching creams under scorching sun, which is analogical to spraying cooking gas while staying close to fire.

Sunburn; cancers of liver, blood and skin; kidney failure and thinning are the major consequences of bleaching.

Anecdotally, in every 3 persons you come across in Lagos, one(men inclusive) must be bleaching.

It's even more irritating seeing men bleach... They now compete with women on ' who-is -who' in bleaching

2 Likes

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by 2kaythuks(m): 11:30pm On May 07, 2016
a more critical look:bleaching can b racism...i tink africa gofmnt shud c it as an offence
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by Xbox222: 11:32pm On May 07, 2016
ireneony:
smiley black people always complaining.
White people tan alot and you don't hear white peeps putting down their kind.

Anyone can choose to live their life the way they want. Why do we black folks whine over everything, including unnecessary matter.

I know there are health implication for bleaching same with tanning.

We should use the time will use in craving for unnecessary things to improve on ourselve. Just see how this country is fuukked up right now. Naira is nothing to write home abt, economy is crumbling, bokoharam here and there, Fulani herdsmen wahala...pple can't feed their family no more. Bleaching should be our least problem right now. lets focus on more important things to make a better Nigeria, where there will be good health, standard of education, science and technology, good housing and drinking water. Etc..
It's time to start working towards solutions and results, not time to complain whine behind your computer screen.

I din talk my own#
Guilty conscience is trailing your ass.

10 Likes

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by ireneony(f): 11:35pm On May 07, 2016
Xbox222:

Guilty conscience is trailing your ass.
guilty me.. I m only stating fact.
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by fabzizy93(m): 11:37pm On May 07, 2016
kvngbree01:
Its good to accept urself as u are. No need to bleach

True talk. In between i must confess you are very beautiful kvngbree

1 Like

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by push23: 11:40pm On May 07, 2016
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by martineverest(m): 11:45pm On May 07, 2016
push23:
[size=28pt][img]Toke Makinwa is not breaching, this how her family look like[/size]
[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-mwXoz09gtw0/UsREUUvr8wI/AAAAAAAAJHI/CssLwHrwKTs/s1600/toke+makinwa1.jpg[/img]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3182949_mkk400x306_pngafd7f11a072a3cbf48b9dc1cd2b463b9

[img]http://1.bp..com/-ufcqmhjN53k/UsQnvM5p6KI/AAAAAAAA5eI/kD35k5J5tCw/s1600/toke+d.jpg[/img]
never knew toke had a spokesman on nairaland

Below is picture of toke when she was younger.

Never underestimate the power of glutathione

9 Likes

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by banmee(m): 11:48pm On May 07, 2016
kaziblake:
Thank God i don't bleach smiley black and beautiful

Your comment makes no sense. It's like saying "thank God i don't steal. If not for God i would be a robber". So, if not for God, you would bleach your skin too? How about the reason you don't bleach is because it is harmful to your skin.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by TheBlackGeneral(m): 12:02am On May 08, 2016
God save us all.
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by push23: 12:03am On May 08, 2016
[size=28pt]I am not Toke Makinwa spoke person. I have never met Toke Makinwa before. But from online picture that is how her family looks like.[/size]
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by Olayemmiey(m): 12:46am On May 08, 2016
banmee:

Your comment makes no sense. It's like saying "thank God i don't steal. If not for God i would be a robber". So, if not for God, you would bleach your skin too? How about the reason you don't bleach is because it is harmful to your skin.

Asides from being kept abreast of happenings around the country and other important stuffs......,comments like this is what makes NL worthwhile ... cheesy grin grin grin grin the hilariousness is unequaled ..,....somebody from Ikorodu will just come and attack undecidedanother person from Jalingo......just like that. sad shocked....it gets funnier when it might not even be directly related with the main post.. : angry..

OP is tryna say bleaching aint proper.......sombori is thanking God they dont bleach......anoda 1 just came from no where ....lol ....and said " it doesn't make sense ..." ............Izi yo tank ? Lmao ........abi its yo black.... ...buh really why is dah 1 sef Thanking God.... Rotfl

The other 2 will start dya own na on Toke Makinwa........rotfl......and they haven't even "MEANT" her......

Rotflmao....lwkmd .my people my people........

3 Likes

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by Ablitmuspaper(m): 1:08am On May 08, 2016
ireneony:

Anyone can choose to live their life the way they want. Why do we black folks whine over everything, including unnecessary matter.

We should use the time will use in craving for unnecessary things to improve on ourselve. Just see how this country is fuukked up right now. Naira is nothing to write home abt, economy is crumbling, bokoharam here and there, Fulani herdsmen wahala...pple can't feed their family no more. Bleaching should be our least problem right now. lets focus on more important things to make a better Nigeria, where there will be good health, standard of education, science and technology, good housing and drinking water. Etc..
It's time to start working towards solutions and results, not time to complain whine behind your computer screen.

I din talk my own#
dis topic rili pain u....bt no b only u im dey talk to

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by banmee(m): 1:23am On May 08, 2016
Olayemmiey:

Asides from being kept abreast of happenings around the country and other important stuffs......,comments like this is what makes NL worthwhile ... cheesy grin grin grin grin the hilariousness is unequaled ..,....somebody from Ikorodu will just come and attack undecidedanother person from Jalingo......just like that. sad shocked....it gets funnier when it might not even be directly related with the main post.. : angry..

OP is tryna say bleaching aint proper.......sombori is thanking God they dont bleach......anoda 1 just came from no where ....lol ....and said " it doesn't make sense ..." ............Izi yo tank ? Lmao ........abi its yo black.... ...buh really why is dah 1 sef Thanking God.... Rotfl

The other 2 will start dya own na on Toke Makinwa........rotfl......and they haven't even "MEANT" her......

Rotflmao....lwkmd .my people my people........

undecided

1 Like

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by sagieramos(m): 2:49am On May 08, 2016
bleachers smell after few hours with having their bath
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by paparazzi1987(m): 3:46am On May 08, 2016
This pictures should be put in "Horror Section"
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by Originalsly: 4:44am On May 08, 2016
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by MrCork: 5:14am On May 08, 2016
ireneony:

I din talk my own#

^^^^^^^ STORY!!!! undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by MrCork: 5:16am On May 08, 2016
searchng4love:
“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another.” — William Shakespeare(Hamlet)

Gwyneth Paltrow once said: “Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin.” We are living in a world where being natural is no longer fashionable, what a monumental psychological loss! Don’t ever bleach away your natural colour so that people will like you; be yourself and the right people will love the real you.

The appalling trend of bleaching among Nigerian youths has become unprecedented and portends a great danger to their future, as most of them have actually bleached themselves irredeemably beyond ‘redemption’. The legendary Fela Anikulapo Kuti, in a sarcastic style that belongs only to him, totally condemned the deteriorating effect of skin bleaching among the Nigerian folks in his album (Yellow Fever, 1976).

He labelled skin bleaching as one of the artificial sicknesses that is ravaging Nigeria and Africa at large, making the ‘bleaching fever’ to be even more devastating, damaging and destructive than malaria fever, Jaundice fever, hay fever and so on. In his typical mix of Yoruba and Pidgin English, the Afro beat legend and his Africa 70 Crew lashed out against the demented way with which Nigerians bleach their skin with blatant impunity.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said: “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” We are living in a world where we are so accustomed to disguising ourselves to others that, in the end, we become disguised to ourselves. It is very rare nowadays to see people with unadulterated, natural and authentic beauty. I want to emphatically underline that obsessive bleaching pattern is more than just a skin issue; it is actually a reflection of a deeper problem.

I have at various fora campaigned that skin- bleaching problems are more than skin deep; in fact, it permeates deep into our values and mentalities. It is a cover-up for a deeper psychological problem of unhealthy and low self-esteem. The only thing some people have is facial value, they lack intrinsic worth; your self-worth and not your face-worth determines your net-worth. We must first deepen our relationship within ourselves before we get preoccupied with how we look ‘outside’. There is nothing more attractive than a healthy self-esteem, once you see your own beauty, so will everyone else. The best self-image is not facial; it is the one that is internally motivated.

The global skin lightening industry was calculated at a worth of $10 billion USD for 2015. The products cost anywhere between 50 cents and $150, affordable by everybody, with Nigerians being the greatest patrons. The bleaching statistics is highly alarming especially in Africa. According to the World Health Organisation, 77 per cent of Nigerian women use skin lightening products on a regular basis, as do 59 per cent in Togo, 35 per cent in South Africa, 27% in Senegal and 25% in Mali. These products are also used in Zimbabwe, Ivory Coast, Gambia and Tanzania.

These figures seem unusually high, but even if they’re overblown, the problem is more than just cosmetic, it is culturally destructive. It encroaches on our culture, values and heritage. We might really have gained independence from the ‘whites’ but we are really in dire need of mental emancipation and Bob Marley had in a prophetic way delivered this message succinctly long time ago in one of his songs, Redemption song, “Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. Have no fear for atomic energy, ‘Cause none of them can stop the time…… Won’t you help to sing, these songs of freedom? ‘Cause all I ever had, Redemption songs…..These songs of freedom.“

We are actually fighting to free ourselves from modern colonialism; it is actually a classic case of colonial mentality in the post-colonial world. Colonialism didn’t end that long ago. As Africans, we freed ourselves and won our independence, but psychologically we continued to view ourselves through the lens of ‘whiteness’. In other words, we were left with the shackles of colonial mentality. It is not the dark skin that is the problem; it is our dark, jaundiced and uncultured way of thinking. Skin-lightening/bleaching is a problem, but it’s only a sign of much deeper inter-related issues: self-hatred, a race-based identity crisis, and the internalisation of Western-created cultural ideas that are inimical to the mental health of black people.

This internalised form of racism is an invisible presence in our psyches, and some of us don’t even realise it is a factor in how we perceive others and ourselves. The plague of skin bleaching is a classical matter that borders on the issue of identity, self-worth and self-acceptance.

Martin Luther King, Jr., had a vision of a sane world where people will so much focus on the content of their character without jeopardising the colour of their skin. He once said, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the colour of their skin, but by the content of their character.” The black pride movement that was pioneered by great minds like Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela et al must not be allowed to dwindle in the face of infective globalization. We must definitely be global in expression but we must never globalize our skin. The Black Pride movement celebrating heritage, personal pride, authenticity and afro-centricism needs to be consciously and actively injected into expressions of pop culture by artists, musicians, filmmakers and writers. In the face of acute self-degradation, we must not allow our sense of self to be distorted through a white lens.

Skin bleaching comes in different forms, so are the side effects. Its attendant side effects can be short or long-term and most times are irreversible. Those with little resources use the soaps, creams and powders which are common in the market. Others prefer steroids that bleach the skin from the inside. These substances contain high level of hydroquinone (above 2%), mercury and acids that suppress the enzyme responsible for producing melanin. Melanin is the substance that gives the skin and hair its natural colour. It protects the skin from Ultra Violet rays. Melanin is produced to darken the skin when exposed to the sun for extended period of time to keep the body from burning.

Fortunately for blacks, the skin produces more melanin than light-skinned or white people making us less susceptible to skin burns and skin cancer resulting from UV rays exposure. The side effects of using these bleaching substances are life threatening. They include: thinning of the skin that results in poor health, skin infection and surgical failures; skin cancer, leukaemia, kidney problems, premature aging, mercury poisoning, pungent body odour, permanent skin discoloration and allergies. In some cases psychiatric and neurological problems are associated.

Many ladies, women and men have become victims of their own uncontrollable and obsessive addiction to toning and bleaching of their natural skin to the extent that they have lost touch with their natural selves. I am reaching out to the African and Nigerian youths to be more comfortable in their natural skin. Stop depending on your facial worth in order to get people’s acceptance, be secured from within, and put more effort into building your self-esteem and stop spending too much time on things that are ephemeral and transient. I am advising the Nigerian youths to be more comfortable in their own skin, real beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Fredrick Douglas said, “I prefer to be true to myself even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and incur my own abhorrence”. I dedicate this piece to all the African queens that have vehemently refused to join the mad and demented race of skin bleaching, we have been inspired with your flawless, natural and exquisite beauty!

http://guardian.ng/saturday-magazine/stop-bleaching-away-your-destiny/

....Son..if u cant areford lightskin women..... Find a job!!(no oofensce) angry
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by anthoniosp(m): 5:27am On May 08, 2016
talk2alabama:
People who bleach hav got low self esteem.
gbam
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by anthoniosp(m): 5:30am On May 08, 2016
banmee:

who is this one na?.. The babe is saying she doesn't bleach ..that she is black and beautiful.. We no wan know if na God dey stop her or wjinch..she no bleach na d point be thar

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by Nobody: 6:10am On May 08, 2016
kaziblake:

You can say that again dear
I am proud to be black.

1 Like

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by Nobody: 6:11am On May 08, 2016
wink

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by Nobody: 6:15am On May 08, 2016
push23:
[size=28pt]I am not Toke Makinwa spoke person. I have never meant Toke Makinwa before. But from online picture that is how her family looks like.[/size]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by Aida13: 6:22am On May 08, 2016
What I hate is the poster quoting all those Shakespeare and crap - as if that will motivate the average Naija bleacher. Nyways there are natural and safe ways to lighten skin if that is your goal (it's a lucrative biz right now to sell these natural products, I hear). Indians have been using the natural ways with no side effects. But I abhor the aggressive and dangerous bleaching.
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by kaziblake(f): 6:30am On May 08, 2016
mimzy:

You can say that again dear
I am proud to be black.
Proudly black smiley
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by Kunlexic(m): 6:33am On May 08, 2016
kaziblake:
black and beautiful Are u sure
How do u knw cheesy
Re: Stop Bleaching Away Your Destiny by kaziblake(f): 6:34am On May 08, 2016
banmee:

I meant I didn't succumb to pressure by bleaching

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Your Lace Fashion Styles / Anita Ukah Wins Most Beautiful Girl In Nigeria 2018 / Normal Day To Day Activities That Destroy Our Skin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.