Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,743 members, 7,820,558 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery (1400 Views)

Advice Needed Please On My RX 330 Gearbox Problem / Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. / My Rx 300 Develop A Problem. Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by MrNiceGuy5: 8:01am On May 08, 2016
This car is excellent in performance but the problem I have is that it drains battery every 3 days, Have changed the battery twice and even took it to electrician to check the alternator but still nothing.

Can someone help me to solve this problem. The Lexus is in top gear.

I awaits your urgent response guys.

Thanks.
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by nedu2000(m): 9:03am On May 08, 2016
Okay,as you said the alternator is fine,check the diode and the general connection to the battery.
Make sure you actually switch off you headlamps,i'm sure you know RX 300 has this "auto-headlamp-on" thing, so make sure it's off
Try not to keep radio on for a long period of time when the engine is off
The car alarm system,hope it was installed by a real professional
RX 300 is no volkswagon beetle,are you using the right size/capacity of battery?
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by cocoduck: 4:28pm On May 08, 2016
please give us a list of aftermarket accessories you installed in the car
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by mayor2013: 5:15pm On May 08, 2016
Concentrate on the following

1) powersource (battery), you must have 12.6v

2) alternator. If its bad change it completely. The idea of changing diode is not well guaranteed

3) check your grounds as well. Check for loosed ones, corrosive ones as well

4) 1-3 is fine then carry out a parasitic drain test
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by honmusa(m): 7:49pm On May 08, 2016
MrNiceGuy5:
This car is excellent in performance but the problem I have is that it drains battery every 3 days, Have changed the battery twice and even took it to electrician to check the alternator but still nothing.

Thanks.
Tracking parasitic drain can be simple and atimes can be a pain in an arse that will require a professional who knows his onion .Parasitic drain can be a result of a short to ground in your wiring system ,newly installed aftermarket accessories wrongly installed,or accessories that refuse to go off ,etc
call autologic @ 0806116316 to fish out the culprit .
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by ataspray(m): 10:19pm On May 08, 2016
nedu2000:
Okay,as you said the alternator is fine,check the diode and the general connection to the battery.
Make sure you actually switch off you headlamps,i'm sure you know RX 300 has this "auto-headlamp-on" thing, so make sure it's off
RX 300 is no volkswagon beetle,are you using the right size/capacity of battery?
auto headlamps have absolutely nothing to do with battery drain as explained by the op.
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by MrNiceGuy5: 10:28pm On May 08, 2016
Well, i never installed anything on the car apart from what came with the car . just the central lock that was faulty that i repaired . but i noticed the green light around the ignition that wont go off even after putting off anything .i dont usually listen to radio at such and i make sure that radio and every other thing are put off . i will have to watch it for few days and if this persist i might have to check using parasitic drain test as advised by mayor 2013.

All the same , thanks guys for your concern and quick response

nedu2000:

MrNiceGuy5:

Thanks.
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by Emekayoung(m): 8:40am On May 09, 2016
Wen ever u park ur car b4 going to bed at nite make sure u remove ur battery head until u discover d culprit of the constant battery drain..

1 Like

Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by Lexusgs430: 5:23pm On May 09, 2016
Emekayoung:
Wen ever u park ur car b4 going to bed at nite make sure u remove ur battery head until u discover d culprit of the constant battery drain..

Lol. I remember doing this on my car many moons ago, when I had to bridge a connector or buy an expensive replacement module(removing the battery connector was a cheaper option).
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by MrNiceGuy5: 11:15pm On May 10, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Lol. I remember doing this on my car many moons ago, when I had to bridge a connector or buy an expensive replacement module(removing the battery connector was a cheaper option).

I think i will go with your advice pending the time i discover the real problem. thanks
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by Lexusgs430: 12:28am On May 11, 2016
MrNiceGuy5:

I think i will go with your advice pending the time i discover the real problem. thanks

It also doubles has a vehicle immobiliser. LOL
For those days you forget to remove battery connector, have a backup plan.
Still try to investigate deeper and eventually resolve the issue
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by honmusa(m): 1:25am On May 11, 2016
MrNiceGuy5:

If you continue disconnecting your car battery in a bid to sustain the charge everyday it will damage your engine computer due to the higher than normal memory refresh rate .Find a quick permanent solution to the issue before it turns to another issue.
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by Lexusgs430: 3:58am On May 11, 2016
honmusa:

If you continue disconnecting your car battery in a bid to sustain the charge everyday it will damage your engine computer due to the higher than normal memory refresh rate .Find a quick permanent solution to the issue before it turns to another issue.

Memory refresh rate getting damaged? My humble Toyota for blow nah. I kept disconnecting the battery terminal for about 2 years plus (I am not encouraging such), but nothing else got damaged in the process and period.
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by mayor2013: 6:32am On May 11, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Memory refresh rate getting damaged? My humble Toyota for blow nah. I kept disconnecting the battery terminal for about 2 years plus (I am not encouraging such), but nothing else got damaged in the process and period.

How many modules / control unit does toyota install personally on their cars? That way is unsafe. I hope you don't try it on another brand and see what it results to
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by honmusa(m): 6:43am On May 11, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Let him continue removing battery and reconnecting then since you did it for 2 years and nothing happen to your car shocked
This is a known fact http://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_disconnect_problems.htm
Re: Please Help , My RX 300 2002 Model Drains Battery by Lexusgs430: 7:08am On May 11, 2016
honmusa:

Let him continue removing battery and reconnecting then since you did it for 2 years and nothing happen to your car shocked
This is a known fact http://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_disconnect_problems.htm

I was only stating a personal experience

(1) (Reply)

2005 Lexus GX470 Vs 2007 Lexus RX350 / Man Finds His Stolen Car 23 Years After It Went Missing But It’s ..... (photos) / I Need Someone To Gift Me A Motorcycle (okada)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.