Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,209 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

About Pregnant Woman Who Drink - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / About Pregnant Woman Who Drink (2418 Views)

In Kaduna, Lassa Fever Kills Nurse, Pregnant Woman / A Pregnant Woman Lifting Weights: Is This Safe? / What Drug Can A Pregnant Woman Feeling Malaria Take ?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Pregnant Woman Who Drink by salako: 9:57pm On Nov 16, 2005
Are Pregnant Drinkers Evil?

What sort of women can’t go 40 weeks without a drink? Heavens 40 weeks! You know what a night on the tiles does to our bodies, well, imagine what a four pound foetus is going through after three pints? My mum had the odd drink while carrying me. Is that why I turned out like this grin ? Can women have a drink while pregnant? Do you feel wicked if you do?

Your thoughts on that.
Re: About Pregnant Woman Who Drink by Fumi(f): 12:57am On Nov 17, 2005
Hello,

during Pregnancy i would never drink or smoke. I thinks its a horrible thing you do to the child. Have you ever seen a e.g. drug-addicted-baby?? (during Pregnancy they get all the drugs via blood and after giving birth they lack of it. Horrible. I dont understand such women.

Greetz
Fumi
Re: About Pregnant Woman Who Drink by Seun(m): 1:13am On Nov 17, 2005
What are the complications that result in the baby when a pregnant woman drinks? Let's enumerate them here so pregnant women will know why they need to abstain from alcohol!
Re: About Pregnant Woman Who Drink by Fumi(f): 12:45am On Nov 18, 2005
This is a nice text i found. I hope, all mothers-in-future will read it carefully!

greetz
fumi

Alcohol and Drugs during Pregnancy

by Robert Needlman, M.D., F.A.A.P.
reviewed by Marjorie Greenfield, M.D.
A generation ago, the womb was thought of as a safe place. There, swimming in a warm, dark sea of amniotic fluid, the developing fetus was protected from the dangers of the world.

Now we know that this is not exactly the case. Just as nutrients and oxygen flow across the placenta from the mother to the fetus, so can harmful chemicals and infections. This knowledge might make you a bit anxious, but it can also help you to avoid many of these prenatal dangers.

Alcohol

Worldwide, alcohol is probably the greatest single cause of birth defects. The main features of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS) are poor growth, abnormal facial features, and cognitive impairment ranging from problems of learning and attention, to more severe mental retardation. Many children who do not have the full FAS picture may have a milder form, with learning problems but not the physical signs.

Not all women who drink heavily during pregnancy give birth to children with FAS. Certain ethnic groups are biologically more susceptible to the problem. For most women, it's probable that a small amount of alcohol won't cause major ill effects. On the other hand, no safe level has been defined, so the most cautious decision is to avoid alcohol altogether. This is especially true during the first three months of pregnancy, when the fetus' vulnerability to alcohol effects may be greatest.

Cocaine, marijuana, and cigarettes

It may seem odd to link these three substances together, but in fact their effects on the developing fetus seem to be similar in many ways. Cocaine has received a lot of negative press in the last ten years, with pictures of "crack babies" on the covers of major magazines, and pregnant women who are addicted to cocaine being arrested for "delivering drugs to a minor" (their fetus).

A decade of research on cocaine has yielded mixed results. It seems clear that cocaine increases the risk of prematurity, low birth weight, and a dangerous birth complication in which the placenta separates from the uterus prematurely (placental abruption). In rare cases cocaine causes severe malformations, or damage to internal organs.

But the main concern has been the effects of cocaine on the developing brain. Across the board, researchers have found that, as a group, children exposed to cocaine in the womb have lower IQ scores and more learning, emotional, and behavior problems.

It is not entirely clear, though, what role the cocaine itself is playing in all of this. These children are also exposed to many other potentially harmful influences including alcohol, cigarettes, poor maternal nutrition, no prenatal care, and serious mental health problems in their mothers. The combination of these toxic factors is often tragic.

Cigarettes have many of the same biologic effects of cocaine, although the effects are weaker. This is not too surprising, since nicotine and cocaine are have similar effects on the brain and circulatory system. Given the far greater number of pregnant women who smoke cigarettes, the total harm caused by cigarettes is right up there with cocaine.

Marijuana, like cigarettes and cocaine, seems to interfere with fetal growth somewhat, and may cause subtle problems in brain development too.

Clearly, the wise thing to do is to avoid these and other recreational drugs altogether.
Re: About Pregnant Woman Who Drink by nikinash(f): 10:54am On Feb 20, 2006
You should not drink alcohol while you are pregnant. If you plan to get pregnant, do not drink. If you drank alcohol before you knew you were pregnant, stop now. When you drink alcohol, so does your baby. Drinking any type of alcohol during pregnancy can hurt your baby. This includes beer, wine, wine coolers, liquor and mixed drinks. Although not all babies are affected, there is no established safe amount that can be taken in pregnancy. Alcohol can hurt a baby even if you are only 1 or 2 months pregnant.
Re: About Pregnant Woman Who Drink by nikinash(f): 10:55am On Feb 20, 2006
Drinking can cause a variety of physical and behavioral problems that are not curable and will not go away. Children born with the most serious problems caused by alcohol have fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS). Children with FAS may:

Be born premature, small, and underweight
Have problems eating and sleeping
Have problems seeing and hearing
Have problems paying attention, following directions, and learning in school
Need special teachers and schools
Have trouble getting along with others and controlling their behaviors
Need expensive and serious medical care all their lives
Re: About Pregnant Woman Who Drink by nicetohave(m): 9:47pm On Mar 27, 2006
if youre pregnant, or you think you might be pregnant, dont drink dont smoke!

both will harm your baby, in ways you cant ever imagine

you say you cant do without it? yes you can, at least for the sake of the innocent one on the way so if you cant stop for nine months, i believe i can conveniently say a pregnant woman who drinks and smokes is evil.

why?

attend a nearby antenatal clinic and you'll better understand the reason.

why kill two lives (yours and the baby's) or even more, at the same time?
Re: About Pregnant Woman Who Drink by Oracle(m): 6:53pm On Sep 04, 2006
You mean all these things could happen to your baby, just coz of drinking?

Alcohol really is strong
Re: About Pregnant Woman Who Drink by mekoyo(m): 2:07pm On Oct 05, 2007
Drinking when pregnant is not good it has so many side effects.

Infact i had dat if you drink why pregnant the child will become a drunk no b me talk am lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed?

(1) (Reply)

High Blood Pressure May Age Your Brain / How To Avoid Socks Smell / Hand Sanitizer To Disinfect Against Ebola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.