Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,254 members, 7,829,492 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy (13939 Views)

Before Nigeria Goes The Way Of Rwanda By Dele Momodu / Buhari Advertises For Sale Of 2 Presidential Jets As Crisis Hits Economy (Pics) / EXCLUSIVE | Nigeria Goes Broke: FG Exchanging Crude Oil For Refined Petrol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by tartar9(m): 8:48am On May 09, 2016
Buhari is the only thing saving us... How would it have been if that incompetent Buffon was still in power.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by allthingsgood: 8:53am On May 09, 2016
Lordave:
Scared to the bone indeed!

Did you just say you're no more desperate for their loans? Who controls the world bank? Hasn't Buhari agreed to take a loan from World Bank?

Well yes, its true that the President "agreed" to take loan from world bank. Its also true that the President signed a powerful agreement with China that will limit the use of dollars in trade. So u can see why the west will not be happy with this. its really common sense. Nigeria's focus is shifting away from America's greek gift.

Ask yourself why the sudden interest in what happens to Nigeria. what is the reason for this write up?? Since all these years of our real challenges, the west never even knew where Nigeria is on the map. Now that we are no longer solely dependent on them, they have started with their cock and bull stories. the sole purpose of this ridiculous write up is to discourage investors from Nigeria, its not because they like u!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Sard(m): 8:54am On May 09, 2016
Gbam!
I know some people will still try to defend the undefendable. Buhari has failed so far. Though he has 3 years to redeem himself, I seriously doubt his capability to turn the situations of this country around.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Marlbron: 8:54am On May 09, 2016
Itulah:
Pop quiz: Which oil rich economy hammered by the global slump in crude is in the throes of a full-fledged economic crisis — complete with rationing, civil strife and runaway inflation stoked by a weak currency?

If you guessed Venezuela, you'd be wrong. Although the South American country teeters on the edge of collapse and fits the above scenario, those same circumstances actually apply to Nigeria. Once a powerhouse of West Africa's economy, the effects of slumping oil prices have converged with mounting security concerns and widespread energy shortages.

The OPEC country, which produces more than 2 million barrels of oil per day, is resorting to rationing crude: In order to fill their tanks, citizens must endure long lines overseen by authorities.

Nigeria "is caught in a macro hurricane," famed short seller James Chanos told the annual Sohn Investment Conference last week. With currency reserves running low, the country could have "a big problem" within a few years, he said. Calling the country "a borderline failed state," Chanos added that he was shorting South African assets, in part because of their exposure to Nigeria.

In the year that Nigerians elected a new president, oil prices collapsed by at least 30 percent. This week, Nigeria's stock market staged a relief rally after the closely watched MSCI Frontier Markets Index decided to keep the country in the benchmark, after warning last month that Nigeria was at risk of being booted from the index.

Still, the outlook for Africa's largest economy remains grim. The extremist group Boko Haram has created significant political and security challenges for the embattled government of Muhammadu Buhari, and raise risks that could hit oil production.

"Nigeria is in trouble," Steve Hanke, a professor of applied economics at Johns Hopkins, told CNBC in an interview. Amid double-digit inflation, Nigeria's foreign reserves are dwindling as the government races to shore up a swooning currency, the naira.

Using a purchasing power parity metric, Hanke estimates that the country's prices are surging by a whopping 46 percent, far above the official rate of between 11 and 13 percent.

Weak growth — Nigeria's economy expanded by less than 3 percent last year — has done little to curb soaring food prices, which have risen every month since December 2015.

Meanwhile, oil prices remain firmly under $50 per barrel, heightening the risk of what consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers noted in a 2015 report could become a "security shock," as weak growth feeds political instability. Currently, the country's 2016 budget assumes an oil price of $38 per barrel.

Razia Khan, chief economist for Africa at Standard Chartered, expects crude will rise later in the year, but growth is likely to remain muted. Khan noted that the International Monetary Fund "expects growth to decline even further in 2016, to 2.3 percent."

Oil gives Nigeria around 95 percent of its foreign earnings. Should crude remain at current levels, PwC expects growth to contract and oil revenues to dwindle to $20 billion. Meanwhile, the currency has already overshot PwC's worst-case forecast for this year, blowing past 320 to the U.S. dollar recently.

"The currency is junk and the government is incompetent and corrupt," said Johns Hopkins' Hanke. "The only sure-fire way to solve all these problems is for Nigeria to officially replace its junk currency."

Nigeria still has limited access to capital markets, and a $6 billion currency swap agreement with China may help contain the naira's losses. Yet with oil still hovering near historic lows, analysts are skeptical Nigeria will see a turnaround anytime soon.

"Following a tumultuous year for the naira in 2015 we believe the any recovery in the currency will have to be supported by a marked improvement in the crude oil price," Standard Chartered's Khan said, adding that oil would need to rise to near $55 to offset the effects of an "oversupplied market."

— CNBC's Dawn Giel contributed to this article.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/06/nigeria-goes-from-powerhouse-to-pariah-as-hurricane-hits-economy.html

What kind of stupid news from yellow journalist is this? Is it by force to devalue the naira? Even as it is the naira has been devalued from 150 to 199. What has happened? What has devaluation done for Nigeria other than to increase inflation? Once you devalue, fuel cost and everything goes up!

We have a two tier forex system. That system has limited inflation so far. It will be worse if we devalue further.

The only thing I oppose is allowing Dangote to buy forex for his refinery and factories abroad at government rates. Large investments like refinery should be net forex inflows not drains on our pockets. Why should Nigeria cough out scarce forex for one man to build his factories in different parts of Africa? Are we all working for Dangote?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Nobody: 8:54am On May 09, 2016
The currency is junk and the government is incompetent and corrupt," said Johns Hopkins' Hanke. "The only sure-fire way to solve all these problems is for Nigeria to officially replace its junk currency

How does replacing our currency solve our problems.

The objectivity of these so called experts are in doubt, most of them have never been to Nigeria.

Their image of Nigeria as a country is formed by the distorted representation in biased media.

These people dont care about the country, they are only interested in what they can get out of it.

Their ability to reap where they have not sown is impaired hence they are wailing. angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Abagworo(m): 8:55am On May 09, 2016
Surfboard:
Lai Mohammed, now we are a pariah state. Hope you understand what that means now?

Dependence on crude oil is stupid especially when all we do is just rely on it 100%. Buhari will succeed in diversification but we as Nigerians must be willing to sacrifice our artificial comfort for brief years of suffering.
Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Orikinla(m): 8:58am On May 09, 2016
Category1:
[size=13pt]God will punish b*hari ...I woke this morning to look for fuel, I couldn't find any filling station selling ,I just wasted my money.
Everything in the market are so f*cking expensive, not even that they added little money in it, its high high money. Something selling for 50naira before is now 150naira, what rubbish is that?....and the useless old man can't even tell us what's on ground...his dirty mouth have been shut months now[/size]
sad
You need to see a psychiatrist fast.
Stop hating and keep moving forward.
While you are so pessimistic, the optimistic ones are not discouraged by negative reports and vibes. They are doing their best in the nation building of a New Nigeria in the leadership of Africa.

I thank Almighty God that I doing well enough to be releasing a major documentary film and also a new book this summer and paying my cast and crew happily.
God is doing great and mighty things in our favour in Nigeria.

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by dubemnaija: 9:02am On May 09, 2016
Orikinla:
You need to see a psychiatrist fast.
Stop hating and keep moving forward.
While you are so pessimistic, the optimistic ones are not discouraged by negative reports and vibes. They are doing their best in the nation building of a New Nigeria in the leadership of Africa.

I thank Almighty God that I doing well enough to be releasing a major documentary film and also a new book this summer and paying my cast and crew happily.
God is doing great and mighty things in our favour in Nigeria.

T0 hell with ur book and film. Who cares about them anyways??
Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by BiafranAmerican: 9:04am On May 09, 2016
Gradually securing new home abroad and moving out before the shiit hits the ceiling. Dont get caught sleeping.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by idupaul: 9:05am On May 09, 2016
this article described Nigeria as a borderline failed state , I currently reside in Nigeria and I voted Buhari but the truth is that they are 100 percent correct

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Willgates(m): 9:06am On May 09, 2016
E never reach like this na. I think these people are over exaggerating
Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by idupaul: 9:07am On May 09, 2016
allthingsgood:
All this attack started the instant we signed agreement with China. The west is scared to their bones to what this deal can achieve. All of a sudden Nigeria is no longer desperate for there slavish loans!

I feel for your state of mind ..I hope your family is enjoying Nigeria right now

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by amtaken(f): 9:09am On May 09, 2016
I used to save all my salary before because I made money in preparing documents eg Power of Attorney, Will, C.A.C documents etc for people but all that have changed now as no one is buying properties anymore and nobody is able to sell and people don't open new businesses nowadays and so there's nothing to incorporate. Buhari has indeed finished Nigeria.

This change really hurts.

Category1:
[size=13pt]God will punish b*hari ...I woke this morning to look for fuel, I couldn't find any filling station selling ,I just wasted my money.
Everything in the market are so f*cking expensive, not even that they added little money in it, its high high money. Something selling for 50naira before is now 150naira, what rubbish is that?....and the useless old man can't even tell us what's on ground...his dirty mouth have been shut months now[/size]
sad

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Lordave: 9:10am On May 09, 2016
allthingsgood:

Well yes, its true that the President "agreed" to take loan from world bank. Its also true that the President signed a powerful agreement with China that will limit the use of dollars in trade. So u can see why the west will not be happy with this. its really common sense. Nigeria's focus is shifting away from America's greek gift.

Ask yourself why the sudden interest in what happens to Nigeria. what is the reason for this write up?? Since all these years of our real challenges, the west never even knew where Nigeria is on the map. Now that we are no longer solely dependent on them, they have started with their cock and bull stories. the sole purpose of this ridiculous write up is to discourage investors from Nigeria, its not because they like u!
Fallacy of the highest order!

Stop making it seem like PMD is on about something good for Nigerians against Western interests.

We were all alive and observing during the last administration when the so called West refused to sell GEJ weapons to combat terrorism. You and I were observing when GEJ signed multi bilateral deals with China and other Asian countries. Nigeria's pro-China foreign policy didn't start with PMD and neither did the West slanderous attacks start with PMD too.

Hypocrisy is when you concur and throw your full support on the West "Ineffectual Baboon Article" and then rain all sorts of abusive words on the same West for this expository article.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Nobody: 9:11am On May 09, 2016
fumisexy:
with time we will surprise other countries

Hahahaha we already have.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by allthingsgood: 9:15am On May 09, 2016
Lordave:
Fallacy of the highest order!

Stop making it seem like PMD is on about something good for Nigerians against Western interests.

We were all alive and observing during the last administration when the so called West refused to sell GEJ weapons to combat terrorism. You and I were observing when GEJ signed multi bilateral deals with China and other Asian countries. Nigeria's pro-China foreign policy didn't start with PMD and neither did the West slanderous attacks start with PMD too.

Hypocrisy is when you concur and throw your full support on the West "Ineffectual Baboon Article" and then rain all sorts of abusive words on the same West for this expository article.

Stop bolding your comments because it only shows your ignorance. Government is a continuum, its not about PMB or GEJ. Stop enslaving yourself to politics. The agreement signed with China was initiated under Jonathan. It does not matter who is president, what matters is moving Nigeria forward. You post only served to expose you as a wailer.

Btw don't mix issues. refusal to sell weapons to Nigeria is a different thing entirely
Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Abagworo(m): 9:16am On May 09, 2016
amtaken:
I used to save all my salary before because I made money in preparing documents eg Power of Attorney, Will, C.A.C documents etc for people but all that have changed now as no one is buying properties anymore and nobody is able to sell and people don't open new businesses nowadays and so there's nothing to incorporate. Buhari has indeed finished Nigeria.

This change really hurts.

The article indicted Jonathan not Buhari. Where do you sell properties? Actually Owerri is booming right now and relocating to that city could help your business.
Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by alt3r3g0: 9:19am On May 09, 2016
Its funny that the same people crying foul over the state of the economy and calling PMB a dullard are the same people applauding the militants for sabotaging the same economy that they are suffering from.

This is simple really. Crude oil price fell...and so our revenue has reduced. Its not rocket science that there wont be much funds to spend. Solution, reduce waste and prioritize the little you have.

PMB has done this by enforcing TSA (Reduce waste to an extent), revive EFCC (fight corruption even if it starts from PDP members they are not saints..it has to start somewhere and deter people from further engaging in it), refuse to devalue at this moment because until we reduce importation, devaluation wont help us. This is been done by focusing on the refineries working and making plans to build new ones. By doing this, we reduce the amount of PMS being imported and hence have more money saved that would have been used to import. This will grow our reserve and strengthen the economy.

In times past, refineries were said not to be working...and everything was imported. Now that they are working, we Nigerians are bombing pipelines that supply crude to these refineries. We the same Nigerians will go on social media and applaud the militants, thereby encouraging them. Then we the same Nigerians, will shout to the heavens that the economy is not working.

Fayose, Ben Bruce, etc will be silent on Militants. A shame that Tompolo (a known militant) is more vocal against the enemies of Nigeria than Gej.

We must put parties aside and unite against a common enemy. Parties come and go everyday. Nigeria is all we have.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by DeFatherforyou(m): 9:21am On May 09, 2016
"The currency is junk and the government is incompetent and corrupt," said Johns Hopkins' Na me tlk am. #irestmycase#

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by tammie24: 9:29am On May 09, 2016
Hehehe
APC

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by ridwanayo(m): 9:34am On May 09, 2016
American media always trying to rubish us internationally,ever since our deal with china,but baba really need to fix the economy things are bad,nt only probing just to decieve his gullibe stan.
Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by MrBendel(m): 9:35am On May 09, 2016
Itulah:
Pop quiz: Which oil rich economy hammered by the global slump in crude is in the throes of a full-fledged economic crisis — complete with rationing, civil strife and runaway inflation stoked by a weak currency?

If you guessed Venezuela, you'd be wrong. Although the South American country teeters on the edge of collapse and fits the above scenario, those same circumstances actually apply to Nigeria. Once a powerhouse of West Africa's economy, the effects of slumping oil prices have converged with mounting security concerns and widespread energy shortages.

The OPEC country, which produces more than 2 million barrels of oil per day, is resorting to rationing crude: In order to fill their tanks, citizens must endure long lines overseen by authorities.

Nigeria "is caught in a macro hurricane," famed short seller James Chanos told the annual Sohn Investment Conference last week. With currency reserves running low, the country could have "a big problem" within a few years, he said. Calling the country "a borderline failed state," Chanos added that he was shorting South African assets, in part because of their exposure to Nigeria.

In the year that Nigerians elected a new president, oil prices collapsed by at least 30 percent. This week, Nigeria's stock market staged a relief rally after the closely watched MSCI Frontier Markets Index decided to keep the country in the benchmark, after warning last month that Nigeria was at risk of being booted from the index.

Still, the outlook for Africa's largest economy remains grim. The extremist group Boko Haram has created significant political and security challenges for the embattled government of Muhammadu Buhari, and raise risks that could hit oil production.

"Nigeria is in trouble," Steve Hanke, a professor of applied economics at Johns Hopkins, told CNBC in an interview. Amid double-digit inflation, Nigeria's foreign reserves are dwindling as the government races to shore up a swooning currency, the naira.

Using a purchasing power parity metric, Hanke estimates that the country's prices are surging by a whopping 46 percent, far above the official rate of between 11 and 13 percent.

Weak growth — Nigeria's economy expanded by less than 3 percent last year — has done little to curb soaring food prices, which have risen every month since December 2015.

Meanwhile, oil prices remain firmly under $50 per barrel, heightening the risk of what consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers noted in a 2015 report could become a "security shock," as weak growth feeds political instability. Currently, the country's 2016 budget assumes an oil price of $38 per barrel.

Razia Khan, chief economist for Africa at Standard Chartered, expects crude will rise later in the year, but growth is likely to remain muted. Khan noted that the International Monetary Fund "expects growth to decline even further in 2016, to 2.3 percent."

Oil gives Nigeria around 95 percent of its foreign earnings. Should crude remain at current levels, PwC expects growth to contract and oil revenues to dwindle to $20 billion. Meanwhile, the currency has already overshot PwC's worst-case forecast for this year, blowing past 320 to the U.S. dollar recently.

"The currency is junk and the government is incompetent and corrupt," said Johns Hopkins' Hanke. "The only sure-fire way to solve all these problems is for Nigeria to officially replace its junk currency."

Nigeria still has limited access to capital markets, and a $6 billion currency swap agreement with China may help contain the naira's losses. Yet with oil still hovering near historic lows, analysts are skeptical Nigeria will see a turnaround anytime soon.

"Following a tumultuous year for the naira in 2015 we believe the any recovery in the currency will have to be supported by a marked improvement in the crude oil price," Standard Chartered's Khan said, adding that oil would need to rise to near $55 to offset the effects of an "oversupplied market."

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/06/nigeria-goes-from-powerhouse-to-pariah-as-hurricane-hits-economy.html

When they were looting our money and lodging in their countries we never saw any of these doomsday articles. They were mute. We are still collecting Abacha money because the western world makes it difficult to repratriate these funds. They should leave us alone. We will fix out problems.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by ATERI(m): 9:40am On May 09, 2016
allthingsgood:
All this attack started the instant we signed agreement with China. The west is scared to their bones to what this deal can achieve. All of a sudden Nigeria is no longer desperate for there slavish loans!

Thank you! The Anglo-American journalists and their politicians would soon commit suicide, because all these juvenile attacks won`t work. These are the people that can never feed their population unless China gives them loan. America and London went around the world looting and raping during the slave trrade, during colonisation and neo-colonisation- leading to their rapid development, but today they are beggars scavenging on the rubbish dumb of China. Nigeria and Nigerians would continue to stand tall because we don`t go around the world waging war of oil and gas, killing leaders of countries that won`t allow us to take over their economy or instigate insurgencies that kill and maim. The glory days of America and London are over so would their media terrorism!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by carboblanko(m): 9:42am On May 09, 2016
allthingsgood:

And the writer of that article is being disingenuous. Venezuela is facing a worse crisis. Food and other essentials are being rationed there. The write up smacks of mischief.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Nobody: 9:43am On May 09, 2016
Itulah:

[size=25] "The currency is junk and the government is incompetent and corrupt," [/size] said Johns Hopkins' Hanke. "The only sure-fire way to solve all these problems is for Nigeria to officially replace its junk currency."

The only point which mattered to me..

See it in bold..

Next !

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Surfboard(m): 9:44am On May 09, 2016
Abagworo:

Dependence on crude oil is stupid especially when all we do is just rely on it 100%. Buhari will succeed in diversification but we as Nigerians must be willing to sacrifice our artificial comfort for brief years of suffering.

There you are speaking like a politician. Are the upper class sacrificing artificial comfort? No, they're milking the situation and getting richer. However, the masses should sacrifice their artificial comfort.

Lol, I'm getting you bro. I'm getting you.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Nobody: 9:49am On May 09, 2016
Category1:
sad

The international write up says inflation is now 46% across board. I bought Mayonnaise for N1200 on saturday but it was N700 november last year.

No need to still ask for the meaning of CHANGE..
Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Nobody: 9:51am On May 09, 2016
Abagworo:

which brief years of suffering? is it elites or poor citizens you're reffering to? I dey laff! our leaders have failed to give us quality leadership! instead of simply fixing what needs fixing, they rather go on ego trips...it is not rocket science to turn around the economy! God has given us all the resources needed...people must have to start using their brain the right before any positive change will be seen. until then...
cheers
Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by slap1(m): 9:53am On May 09, 2016
Buhari has happened to us.
Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Nobody: 9:53am On May 09, 2016
yongnoble:
It seems the wailing has gone international grin

Zombies, Oya over to you. Come and defend the indefensible

What do you want us to say ?

Sky Barber ?

Re: Nigeria Goes From Powerhouse To Pariah As 'hurricane' Hits Economy by Nobody: 9:54am On May 09, 2016
slap1:
Buhari has happened to us.

He has skyrocketed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

IPPIS, GIFMIS Robbing FG Of Billions, Says Audit Report / Shekarau Lists Conditions For Reconciliation With Ganduje Group / IGP Appoints John Amadi DIG Research & Planning, Deploys CP Adesina To Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.