Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,979 members, 7,817,888 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother (3753 Views)

Nigeria Remembers Sam Okwaraji At Cup Games / 25 Years After Samuel Okwaraji Slumped And Died On The Field / Samuel Okwaraji - Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by AloyEmeka6: 6:45pm On Aug 13, 2009
Olofinjana donates N.5m to Okwaraji's mother

Nigerian international midfielder, Seyi George Olofinjana, became the first Super Eagles star to officially make financial donation to the family of Late Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji ahead of his death anniversary.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/aug/13/409.html

Olofinjana, who has quietly been involved in charitable cause over the last decade, donated £2,000 (#500,000) to the late footballer's mother.

August 12 marks the 20th anniversary of Okwaraji's death, who, while alive, played professionally for Dinamo Zagreb in the old Yugoslavia.

He reportedly also played for the German side, VfB Stuttgart and SSV Ulm, while pursuing his education in law. Okwaraji was fans' favourite, due to his midfield dexterity and dazzling style.

He collapsed and died while playing for Nigeria against Angola, in a FIFA World Cup qualifier on August 12, 1989. He was 25.

Okwaraji made the Green Eagles squad in 1988, and at that year's African Nations Cup, scored one of the fastest goals in the history of the championship against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon.

He played till the final match, where the Eagles controversially lost to their perennial rivals, Cameroon by a lone goal.

However, Olofinjana, who just switched from Stoke City to the Premiership rival, Hull City, said: "Okwaraji epitomises the spirit of a committed and heroic football star, and the shock of his loss is still as fresh today as it was in 1989. "He never gave less than his best, and will always be remembered with affection by everyone connected to Nigerian football."

Olofinjana has, however, pledge to go beyond his latest contribution, by supporting any programme under the late midfielder's name.

He urged his professional colleagues to come to into the picture and ensure that Okwaraji take his rightful position in the history of the country's football.

"We can never speak about our tomorrow as it is in God's hands. Okwaraji must have had big dreams, but here he is, no longer with us, but his legacy lives still lives on.

"We need to honour this legend, as his success and commitment lingers in the collective memories of everyone. I was young when this tragic event occurred, but I still have a picture of Sam Okwaraji in my head.

"No amount of money can bring him back, but we just need to stand by the man, his family, his dreams and ambitions.

"We know from personal experience that football is a demanding sport, and we are all here and alive not by our powers but the will of God.

"Let us all come and immortalise the man like the Lagos State Government, the NFF, former players and his family are doing right now, may his soul continue to rest in peace," Olofinjana said.
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by FBS: 7:13pm On Aug 13, 2009
Excellent gesture by Seyi.
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by allboyz(m): 7:43pm On Aug 13, 2009
That's what Education brings to you. . . .
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by chidichris(m): 6:23am On Aug 14, 2009
givers never lack. seyi, because you have given, god in his infinite mercy will multiply your sources and widen ur coasts.
you will never lack in Jesus name.
for remembering the forgotten, you will never be forgotten in any important gathering in Jesus name.
the hands of givers are always on top, for you are a giver, you will remain on top in Jesus name.
other players and well meaning nigerians must emulate such a good gesture and find a way to put smile to the family who lost their own while he was serving nigeria.
i also pray that God will continue blessing the family of the okwarajis.
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by boomlogics: 4:37pm On Aug 14, 2009
A very good gesture from Olafinjana May God Almighty Bless him real good.

Other Nigerian players should learn from his fear heart to give.

God Bless Governor Raji Fashola for the opportunity he provided to remember Okwaraji.

The works of our heroes shall never be in vain.
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by ilosiwaju: 4:59pm On Aug 14, 2009
compared to his colleagues who can only storm lagos clubs and buy drinks for boys, he has done well.
thumbs up!
eni domi siwaju, a te ile tutu.
grin grin grin
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 14, 2009
Seyi Olofinjana, May God continue to bless you, protect you and always be with you and your family. Thank you for your immense contribution.
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by naijachix(m): 5:07pm On Aug 14, 2009
chidichris:

givers never lack. seyi, because you have given, god in his infinite mercy will multiply your sources and widen ur coasts.
you will never lack in Jesus name.
for remembering the forgotten, you will never be forgotten in any important gathering in Jesus name.
the hands of givers are always on top, for you are a giver, you will remain on top in Jesus name.
other players and well meaning nigerians must emulate such a good gesture and find a way to put smile to the family who lost their own while he was serving nigeria.
i also pray that God will continue blessing the family of the okwarajis.

god? do u mean songo, abi na god of okija shrine?
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by aquita(m): 5:12pm On Aug 14, 2009
Seyi, thank you very much for your generous act. May God replenish your pocket and continue to bless you. You will never lack in Jesus name. Other Super Eagles player should emulate what Seyi Olofinjana has done
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by zmurda(m): 5:16pm On Aug 14, 2009
naijachix:

even if na amadioha, nothing concern you, shuoooo

Nice one by Mr Olofinjana. I hope all his mates follow suit,
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by Akanniade(m): 5:18pm On Aug 14, 2009
seyi, apo e o ni gbe o. amin
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by Demain1: 5:25pm On Aug 14, 2009
Lovely gesture. May you be richly rewarded by our heavenly father. Amen
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by ilosiwaju: 5:36pm On Aug 14, 2009
naijachix:

una don start be dat. how does that matter? if you are so meticulous about spellings on a forum especially when its religion-related, kindly move to the religious section. warning: it's hot in there.

seyi well done again jare.
wink
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by mrperfect(m): 5:42pm On Aug 14, 2009
That is really wonderful and what comment on.
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by vikiviko(m): 5:51pm On Aug 14, 2009
Nice one ,God bless you.
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by b0y(m): 5:54pm On Aug 14, 2009
As a poster rightly said,thats why it pays to be EDUCATED,
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by yousouph(m): 6:09pm On Aug 14, 2009
Seyi's gesture is not really because he is educated but KIND HEART. Kanu started his Heart foundation but not educated to the level of Olofinjana. GOD's abundant blessing to Seyi. Next season, you will sign for Man city with big cash. Amen
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by Redman44(m): 6:21pm On Aug 14, 2009
I have never considered Seyi Olofinjana as a really good player. That was in the past. My admiration for him is growing by the day. I know God is with him. I'm not speaking positively about him because of the money he has given to Okwaraji's family. Seyi is making progress daily despite the critcism that is thrown at him. He is a great man.
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by MrCrackles(m): 6:22pm On Aug 14, 2009
NICE GESTURE!
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by Btzzk: 7:21pm On Aug 14, 2009
God bless u seyi
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by chyk91(m): 8:31pm On Aug 14, 2009
nice one
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by remoranger(m): 8:57pm On Aug 14, 2009
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cryI am touched cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by onlysose(m): 9:11pm On Aug 14, 2009
bravo, people like olafinjana and kanu are the kind of athletes we need in nigeria who give from their heart not athletes that if their phone is missen the whole country we hear

thank you jare!!
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by Shikena(m): 9:37pm On Aug 14, 2009
Nice gesture, worthy of emulation!
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by toluh(f): 10:01pm On Aug 14, 2009
well done Seyi,dis is a START of new begining in your life.
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 14, 2009
Oh! Great gesture.
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by suxes2005(m): 10:16pm On Aug 14, 2009
bravo, people  like   olafinjana  and  kanu are   the  kind  of  athletes   we   need  in nigeria who  give from  their   heart  not  athletes  that  if  their  phone  is  missen  the   whole  country we  hear

thank  you  jare!!

True talk ma man, More grace to Seyi's life, I think its anyone dt goes by tat name tat are philanthrophist,

SHALOM
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by Nija4Life(m): 10:22pm On Aug 14, 2009
Nice guy, good footballer and cheerful giver

God bless Seyi
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by olabukola: 11:33pm On Aug 14, 2009
All these prayers here will surely get to God in Seyi's favour. May they increase his take home in Stoke City.
Can somebody say amen!!!!
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by kshow1(m): 11:55pm On Aug 14, 2009
Oh my heart gladdens
Re: Olofinjana Donates N.5m To Okwaraji's Mother by decworld1: 12:49am On Aug 15, 2009
God bless olofinjana

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Compare Basketball To Football Which Is Stressful? / Baba Ijebu Suspend My Account Due To My Sure Game / Refree Sacked For Ignoring Foul Plays That Made Barca Win Psg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.