Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,911 members, 7,841,458 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Striking Portraits of Nigerian-Americans Challenges us to See beyond Skin Color - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Striking Portraits of Nigerian-Americans Challenges us to See beyond Skin Color (867 Views)

Agbonayinma Warns Nigerian-Americans Against Voting For Trump / FG Sacks Striking Doctors / Mimiko Meets With Striking Workers In Ondo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Striking Portraits of Nigerian-Americans Challenges us to See beyond Skin Color by YourNemesis: 2:07pm On May 10, 2016
Drawing inspiration from photographers who have created typologies of their subjects, including the German August Sander, the American Richard Avedon, and the Nigerian photographer J.D ‘Okhai Ojeikere, I use a plain background to eliminate any cultural or ethnic context, whether of urban disrepair or African wilderness,” the Lagos-born artist writes on his website. “I want to contest the superficial travel or tourist photography approach to peoples who may be unfamiliar to the photographs’ viewers.”

A diverse group of young New York and Texas-based Nigerians served as Ima’s subjects, each of whom he photographed in a uniform manner. He also adjusted the participants’ skin tones so that each person shared the same rich, deep complexion.

This striking edit celebrates a physical feature for which Africans are often oppressed and marginalized, while also calling into question the harmful tendency to reduce an individual’s identity to a color.

“As an African living in America, I find that the line between celebrating and exoticizing African culture is increasingly blurry,” writes Ima. “To add some clarity to the current discourse, I photograph my subjects in an elegant and direct manner. It is my hope that this will create a connection between subject and viewer. It’s also my way of challenging viewers to understand what it is like to be ‘the other.’ Above all else, it is a reminder that the culture and identity of a people should be always be appreciated, respected and honored.”

The project is available for viewing now through November 14 at the SVA Gramercy Gallery in New York and will also be showing at the Lagos Photo Festival starting October 24.
http://www.okayafrica.com/news/ima-mfon-nigerian-identity-photo-series/#slide11

Miriam (shot April 3) - Lives in New York City, photographed in New York City. Film maker and director. Necklace is an arabic word for beloved. I found this interesting because she is a Christian, and although arabic is not an Islamic symbol, it is a language that is usually more associated with Islam than Christianity. In a country that has struggled with religious tension, I thought this was a very endearing symbol of love.

Donald (shot on April 2), Lives in New York City, photographed in New York City. Donald is a musician working in the Afro Hip Hop/ Pop genres. Donald has a tattoo and earring, both of which express the individual, but would still be unconventional in traditional Nigerian culture. He also has on several necklaces, one of which is a “Jesus Piece”. Again these symbols do not make him any more or less Nigerian, and Donald as an Individual represents his own Nigerian identity.

Ashley (shot April 28) - Lives in Newark, photographed in New York City. Ashley is a feminist activist and writer/blogger

Florence (shot April 7) Lives in New York City, photographed in New York City. Most of the access I had was to a generation of Nigerians in my age group; and I am currently trying to expand the project to include people both older and younger than my generation

Damilola (shot February 22). Lives in New York City, photographed in New York City. Damilola is a luxury stationery and crafts designer: she makes specialty invites and cards for events ranging from weddings to graduation parties. I did not style her hair, I simply photographed it as she had it tied. This image speaks to the different ways in which Nigerian women choose to wear their hair and adorn themselves

George (shot March 24). Lives in New York City, photographed in New York City. George is a student getting his masters in City and Regional Planning. I chose him as a subject because he shares a similar interest in the subject of identity. He is pictured wearing his glasses, which are not a symbol of Nigerian identity. This image presents the idea that what we wear or possess does not necessarily give us our identity, as George is no more or less Nigerian than others in the series with Nigerian names or attire.

Niyi (shot April 21) - Lives in New York City, photographed in New York City. Niyi is a fashion deisgner wearing one of the scarves he created. His scarves are designed based on traditional Nigerian methods and patterns, and this image speaks to the variety of Nigerian attire, and the coming together of traditional and contemporary.

Ese (shot Feb 22). Lives in New York City, Photographed in New York City. She is an accountat and aspiring writer. I chose her as a subject because like me, she understood the frustration behind Nigerian identity, trying to balance your ownvalues with those that have either been forced or projected on you. Her headtie in some ways represents an aspect of Nigerian identity: It is normal for woman to wear headties or wrap their hair. It serves as a commentary on casual dressing in Nigeria

Anthony (shot April 18) - Lives in Houston, TX, photographed in Katy, TX. Anthony is a financial anlayst. He is pictured wearing a traditional hat. This image speaks to the variety of traditional Nigerian attire.

Ogechi (shot March 27). Lives in New York City, photographed in New York City. This image also speaks to the different ways in which Nigerian women choose to wear their hair and adorn themselves.

Folayan (shot March 21) - Lives in Washington D.C, photographed in New York City. Folayan is a friend who is passionate about the issues faced by black people living in America. He chose to support the project by being photographed.

cc:lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun .
Re: Striking Portraits of Nigerian-Americans Challenges us to See beyond Skin Color by YourNemesis: 2:10pm On May 10, 2016
What do you all think.... ?
Re: Striking Portraits of Nigerian-Americans Challenges us to See beyond Skin Color by FisifunKododada: 2:33pm On May 10, 2016
awesome

1 Like

Re: Striking Portraits of Nigerian-Americans Challenges us to See beyond Skin Color by OmoIgala: 2:40pm On May 10, 2016
Sonehow weird......

Most artistic works are weird.
Re: Striking Portraits of Nigerian-Americans Challenges us to See beyond Skin Color by waxxydude: 2:54pm On May 10, 2016
Dafuq! those pictures scared the sh*t outta me..
Re: Striking Portraits of Nigerian-Americans Challenges us to See beyond Skin Color by DelGardo: 7:55pm On May 10, 2016
Simply amazing.

(1) (Reply)

Photo From Adeniji Adele's Burial / Ekiti Workers On Strike Over Unpaid Salaries / Handle Niger-delta Issue Using The Stick & Carrot Approach - Atiku Appeals To FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.