Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 AM

Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself (4283 Views)

Five Must Avoid Words To Use During Any Job Interview / 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae / These 10 Things On Your CV COULD Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by Slimbideb: 4:58pm On May 12, 2016
(1) INDEPENDENT
The ability to be independent is something that not everyone possesses. Learning to support yourself is fundamental for any success you ever hope to achieve. Being independent is actually very good, but now a lot of people use it to cover that they suck at being a team player, or being a bad leader. Do not confuse independence with apathy.
(2) ADAPTABLE
You will yourself invite fears and problems for yourself by making use of this word. Adaptable, yes, you may be but adjustment is the right word. Say you are flexible enough to adapt to any new environment. This word is something positive and gives a sense of positivity to the one’s taking your interview. You may adjust in any kind of situation be it good or bad, as sometimes worse conditions may also arise, you never know, no matter how big or renowned the company is, so just say that you are always happy in adjusting to the new safe environment.
(3) STRAIGHTFORWARD
There's a very thin line between being straightforward and being plain rude. Straightforward is usually a code word for rude, abrasive, disrespectful, or impolite. You are allowed to be straightforward, but don't call yourself like that.
(4) FEARLESS
Every single individual has some or the other sort of fear at some or the other point of time. Be it a fear of passing off the cockroach, or a fear of giving a presentation to the staff. Everyone possesses it somewhere in the corner of the heart. During an interview,never say that you are fearless. You may use the word brave to take up all kinds of challenges, but do not mention the word fearless as it may put a negative impact and you will be depicted as an over confident person.
(5) EMPATHETIC
What is empathy? It’s the ability to step into the shoes of another person, aiming to understand their feelings and perspectives, and to use that understanding to guide our actions. Empathy is a great quality, but saying that you're empathetic actually sounds like you are not at all.
(6) TALENTED
Don’t say that you are talented,many are there. It is just that talent is acknowledged when hard work is the driving force behind it. If the qualities like hard work, dedication, concentration are not a driving force behind your talent, then your talent is of no use. Every person is born with some or the other talent. So, push your talent with some good deal of work, not just with the mere words.
(7) PASSIONATE
You may be passionate enough, but you are adviced to show your passion through work, not through your words. Anyone can show the passion through high motivating words, but a person is tight lipped when it came to displaying the passion through the work already done.
(cool SELF DISCIPLINED
Any disciplined person we have ever met willingly admits they find it difficult to stay focused at times. Saying you’re self-disciplined is either redundant or not true. Redundant because congratulations you were focused enough to finish the task today, but what about tomorrow or the next day, it’s an ongoing process, one that will require you to work hard to maintain your discipline. Or, the less favourable scenario, the employer might suspect this statement to be untrue; if you feel you need to say how disciplined you are, chances are, you’re not.
(9) GENEROUS
Being described as generous is similar to respect, in that it is something you earn, rather than something you can claim for yourself. You may be, but if you are prepared to say it in public then you are not humble (see above). And we value ‘humble’. And we want our ‘generosity’ without thought for personal gain and acknowledgement. So don’t say it. Live it.
(10) HUMBLE
It is strange to hear someone's bragging about how humble they are. It just doesn’t work. Don’t walk into this unfortunate contradiction and try to talk your way out of it. The more you try to explain this, the more you wear down your interviewer’s trust. Just by saying it, you prove that you are not.
Oya Drop Yours...............

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by gidimasters(m): 5:08pm On May 12, 2016
Ftc
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by qtx(m): 5:50pm On May 12, 2016
hmmmm
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 12, 2016
So what should they use because I used many of these words when I got my job

5 Likes

Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by sevantex(m): 5:59pm On May 12, 2016
Hmmm, i quite agree with some of your points but at this rate, there mite be nothing to say during the interview o. I believe some of this things are subjective and depends on how the job seeker choose to use these terms in his explanations, diff interviewers wuld react differently to them as well.

If u were a recruiter tho, e go hard ppl to please u oo cos it seems u will read every possible meaning (positive/negative) to every word spoken. hehehe grin
On a lighter note, welldone op, we culd learn 1 or 2 tins from this.
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by dexcira(f): 6:40pm On May 12, 2016
Please what should b used undecided
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by overflow1: 7:34pm On May 12, 2016
if you remove dem words finish, which attribute come remain again, na look you go come dey look? saying I be quality onlooker, my friend say una dey look for supervisor.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by babs01(m): 8:35pm On May 12, 2016
Nice write-up op, what can I offer you op for dis?
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by hitchowoyemi(m): 9:39pm On May 12, 2016
The write up would be complete and good if you gave alternative words that could be used cool
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by yellowbeauty(f): 10:53pm On May 12, 2016
the poster above me has said it all
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by Qaisar1: 11:20pm On May 12, 2016
In Summary, don't praise yourself

1 Like

Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by simplejayy(m): 1:49am On May 13, 2016
ok
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by Chigorkizz(m): 3:03am On May 13, 2016
You people are always causing confusion for job seekers.
Which one do you want them to use?
Anyone that managed got a job will thinks his own way is the best
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by UIA04(f): 3:47am On May 13, 2016
People comprehend topics on nairaland less and less and it shows what our youths are using their brains for.

The op didn't say these words are bad, but using them plainly may not make your potential employer take you seriously because 100 people who came for the interview may have told him, and he might start reading meaning into it. Instead of just saying I'm fearless, you can say "I see challenges as an Avenue to build myself and learn new things" that way he will know you won't shy away from a tough task.

1 Like

Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by Nobody: 5:24am On May 13, 2016
But on the ground of interview, it's really hard escaping this 10 words without using atleast three out of it if not all at times.
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by SPG4U(m): 5:54am On May 13, 2016
[size=20pt]person wey dey interview you too
Na the words he sabi be dat...
Na Wetin dem take employ am be dat...
And na Wetin he go take employ you be that too

Say other wise....OYO

BUT STILL ON STILL THE OP IS RIGHT[/size]
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by ajasa4link: 5:58am On May 13, 2016
All these don't use this word, don't include that in ur cv....... etc are so so subjective. Saying those words don't mean u will get the job or not. I usually treat interviews on case by case basis, before going for an interview I sit online, research into the company. If am lucky to see details of their HR, MD or anybody who is going to be a part of the panel, I try to check up their profile to see what makes them tick and I harp on that quality during the interview. I once went for an interview and having known from house the MD is a first class graduate with several academic landmarks, I had to dwell much on my academic excellence while in school to get him endeared to me during the interview and guess what? It worked.
And normally someone here on Nairaland would've said u should talk basically about what u can offer on the job and not ur past academic stuffs.

An interviewer once asked where I see myself in the next two years and I just told him I see myself at the top in the industry being referenced by all as a top professional who doesn't compromise professionalism in getting to the topmost pinnacle. The man just bend his eye glass a bit and gave me that "olboy are u kidding me" look. In fact I thought I had misfired, then he said there is absolutely nothing wrong in being ambitious.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by Ewizard(m): 9:26am On May 13, 2016
Hokay
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by jazinogold(m): 9:50am On May 13, 2016
grin
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by BrainnewsNg(f): 12:06pm On May 13, 2016
Slimbideb:
(1) INDEPENDENT
The ability to be independent is something that not everyone possesses. Learning to support yourself is fundamental for any success you ever hope to achieve. Being independent is actually very good, but now a lot of people use it to cover that they suck at being a team player, or being a bad leader. Do not confuse independence with apathy.
(2) ADAPTABLE
You will yourself invite fears and problems for yourself by making use of this word. Adaptable, yes, you may be but adjustment is the right word. Say you are flexible enough to adapt to any new environment. This word is something positive and gives a sense of positivity to the one’s taking your interview. You may adjust in any kind of situation be it good or bad, as sometimes worse conditions may also arise, you never know, no matter how big or renowned the company is, so just say that you are always happy in adjusting to the new safe environment.
(3) STRAIGHTFORWARD
There's a very thin line between being straightforward and being plain rude. Straightforward is usually a code word for rude, abrasive, disrespectful, or impolite. You are allowed to be straightforward, but don't call yourself like that.
(4) FEARLESS
Every single individual has some or the other sort of fear at some or the other point of time. Be it a fear of passing off the cockroach, or a fear of giving a presentation to the staff. Everyone possesses it somewhere in the corner of the heart. During an interview,never say that you are fearless. You may use the word brave to take up all kinds of challenges, but do not mention the word fearless as it may put a negative impact and you will be depicted as an over confident person.
(5) EMPATHETIC
What is empathy? It’s the ability to step into the shoes of another person, aiming to understand their feelings and perspectives, and to use that understanding to guide our actions. Empathy is a great quality, but saying that you're empathetic actually sounds like you are not at all.
(6) TALENTED
Don’t say that you are talented,many are there. It is just that talent is acknowledged when hard work is the driving force behind it. If the qualities like hard work, dedication, concentration are not a driving force behind your talent, then your talent is of no use. Every person is born with some or the other talent. So, push your talent with some good deal of work, not just with the mere words.
(7) PASSIONATE
You may be passionate enough, but you are adviced to show your passion through work, not through your words. Anyone can show the passion through high motivating words, but a person is tight lipped when it came to displaying the passion through the work already done.
(cool SELF DISCIPLINED
Any disciplined person we have ever met willingly admits they find it difficult to stay focused at times. Saying you’re self-disciplined is either redundant or not true. Redundant because congratulations you were focused enough to finish the task today, but what about tomorrow or the next day, it’s an ongoing process, one that will require you to work hard to maintain your discipline. Or, the less favourable scenario, the employer might suspect this statement to be untrue; if you feel you need to say how disciplined you are, chances are, you’re not.
(9) GENEROUS
Being described as generous is similar to respect, in that it is something you earn, rather than something you can claim for yourself. You may be, but if you are prepared to say it in public then you are not humble (see above). And we value ‘humble’. And we want our ‘generosity’ without thought for personal gain and acknowledgement. So don’t say it. Live it.
(10) HUMBLE
It is strange to hear someone's bragging about how humble they are. It just doesn’t work. Don’t walk into this unfortunate contradiction and try to talk your way out of it. The more you try to explain this, the more you wear down your interviewer’s trust. Just by saying it, you prove that you are not.
Oya Drop Yours...............
Am a wealthy person

1 Like

Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by laribari(m): 12:08pm On May 13, 2016
OP, it's better you just say we should not describe ourselves since you have withdrawn all the description options. grin
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by Nobody: 4:37pm On May 13, 2016
undecided what then are we gonna say?
Re: Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself by christhavemercy(f): 7:49pm On May 13, 2016
Just keep mute when you go for an interview.. Noted!!!

(1) (Reply)

NDLEA Recruitment Test: A Must Read Update On Final Shortlist Of Applicants / Ongoing Massive Recruitment. / Meet Melissa Who Works As A Mermaid To Earn A Living

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.