Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar (4649 Views)

Obasanjo Bows To Greet The Alaafin Of Oyo During A Visit To His Palace. Photos / I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari / US To Press Nigeria To Devalue Naira - Reuters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by idolda: 8:23pm On May 13, 2016
After months of insisting that he had no plans to devalue
the naira, President Muhammadu Buhari has caved to
pressure to change course; SaharaReporters has learned
from an exclusive briefing by a few top aides of the
president.

A day after the Buhari administration increased the price of
the pump price of fuel by 67%, from N86.5 to N145 a liter,
our sources disclosed that Mr. Buhari has also agreed to
demands by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) that he
significantly devalues the Nigerian currency. Our sources
indicated that the naira would be pegged at N290 to one
dollar. The current official rate is about N200 to a dollar.

Our sources said Mr. Buhari and his economic team took
the decision to accept the IMF’s terms for funds that the
Nigerian government wants to access to bridge a critical
shortfall in revenue occasioned by a drastic decline in oil
revenues. An administration insider told SaharaReporters
that Nigeria could receive as much as $3 billion in credit
facilities from the IMF.

“The truth is that Nigeria cannot operate without sourcing
credit from the IMF,” said one of our sources, an economic
adviser to Mr. Buhari, who spoke on condition of
anonymity. “And the IMF was adamant that we must
devalue before they can discuss extending credit to us,” he
added.

Curiously, administration officials took the decision to
devalue the naira without the input of the Governor of the
Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, another
source revealed. An official of the CBN confirmed to
Saharareporters that bank executives were kept in the dark
about the discussions that led to the Buhari
administration’s decision to devalue the naira. “Some of us
here [the CBN] are not opposed to devaluation, given our
country’s present circumstances,” the source said, adding
that it was the CBN’s function to pilot Nigeria’s monetary
policies.

One of our sources pointed to the fact that the naira has
been weakened in the parallel market, where it now sells at
N360 per dollar. “The government cannot continue to
operate under the illusion that the naira is stronger than it
is. The only problem is that we did not start early enough to
admit to Nigerians how bad the financial outlook was,” the
source added.

The Nigerian economy has been pummeled by falling oil
earnings that have led to a near collapse of the economy.
The IMF had long indicated its readiness to support
Nigeria’s economy with credit liquidity but insisted on
Nigeria devaluing its currency. President Buhari had
insisted on numerous occasions, before and after his
election, that he would never devalue the naira.

It is unclear how Mr. Buhari and members of his economic
team plan to justify the about-turn on devaluation and other
policy somersaults. After initially vowing to reduce the price
of fuel, the government yesterday announced a significant
hike in fuel price. The administration also set to announce a
10% increase in value-added tax (VAT), another indication
that the Buhari government was embracing the kind of
liberalization pushed by the IMF.

To compound dwindling oil prices, militants in the oil-rich
Niger Delta region have crippled oil exports substantially
after bombing oil pipelines and issuing threats to oil
companies to leave the region.

Last week, several oil companies evacuated essential staff
from the region’s offshore platform leading to a reduction in
daily oil outputs from 2.2 million barrels a day to 1.3 million
barrels a day.

Source : http://saharareporters.com/2016/05/13/buhari-bows-imf-pressure-devalue-naira-290-dollar
Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by citizenisb: 8:28pm On May 13, 2016
Devaluation and subsidy removal = Double whammy

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by playtheblues(f): 8:32pm On May 13, 2016
Nigeria embrace your change.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Almajiri1: 8:37pm On May 13, 2016
Where are all those zombies that hailed buhari for switching over to yuan and resisting IMF? They should come and justify this before I start calling them out and resurrecting threads.

cc: amtaken, been a while.

19 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Adebammm(m): 8:41pm On May 13, 2016
Now Nigerians will know the difference between a Ph.d holder and a dullard who fail maths @ school. When IMF and others advised him to devalue it since, he insisted at me Mr President Buhari will not devalue. What abt naw?...

11 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by iflywithbuhari(f): 8:43pm On May 13, 2016
what i read is that PPRA set the price for importation at 298naira. But if this is true, then what happened to the yen currency swap. This government is clueless and should be sacked

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by ibietela2(m): 8:49pm On May 13, 2016
We MUST enjoy this CHANGE together.....

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by ojun50(m): 8:50pm On May 13, 2016
290 ke

1 Like

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by enlightenedmind: 8:51pm On May 13, 2016
Adebammm:
Now Nigerians will know the difference between a Ph.d holder and a dullard who fail maths @ school. When IMF and others advised him to devalue it since, he insisted at me Mr President Buhari will not devalue. What abt naw?...

Shebi u guys said he should devalue. Wen he did not u pple screamed and called ICC now he has u r calling him a dullard. Evil is faceless, it takes d form of hatred.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by NavierStokes(m): 8:53pm On May 13, 2016
Like I roundly stated, devaluation has always been a question of when, not if.

Buhari just needlessly dragged the country to the gutters, he could have devalued a long time ago and we would have been somewhere around #220/$, but his strongheadedness has gotten us to this point.

Well let the naira find a bottom, stabilize and the country will be ready for economic activities again.

Those who are called "zombies" and self acclaimed "master economists" will soon be here to applaud him for another policy turnaround.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by justinenho: 8:53pm On May 13, 2016
Which way naija?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by nickyvil: 8:58pm On May 13, 2016
What I'm seeing ahead only the elders will see it.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by ayzTIGER: 9:03pm On May 13, 2016
We know the reason why we wail... Nigeria enjoy the CHANGE you voted

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by iflywithbuhari(f): 9:05pm On May 13, 2016
enlightenedmind:

Shebi u guys said he should devalue. Wen he did not u pple screamed and called ICC now he has u r calling him a dullard. Evil is faceless, it takes d form of atred.

if he had devalued the currency when we told him to do it, the country would have been prepared for it. But now he wants to do it in the night and announce it in the morning. And not at 290

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by coolitempa(f): 9:09pm On May 13, 2016
This is unbelievable...... angry

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Nobody: 9:10pm On May 13, 2016
Chai. Another devaluation. Nigeria is sinking everyday. those who voted this govt into power will bear the guilt of taking Nigeria 20yrs backward. All the progress made by Jonathan have been upturned by this govt.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by ItzTun3chi(m): 9:11pm On May 13, 2016
I for once support this decision even though I loathe apc and buhari angry
Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Nobody: 9:16pm On May 13, 2016
ItzTun3chi:
I for once support this decision even though I loathe apc and buhari angry
You support devaluation. For goodness sake, Nigeria is an import dependent economy. We import almost everything. With devaluation, more naira will be needed to buy many items. Prices of all imported commodities will rise, including flight tickets abroad and everything. Why would you support devaluation without commensurate increase in salary. Na waa for u o.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Sweetlemon(f): 9:16pm On May 13, 2016
What I don't get is the way people talk as if Buhari is the cause of this present economic woes.
This thing started precisely in late 2013/early 2014. I got a much better job somewhere, a financial house, but was later told that the recruitment was cancelled because of the failing economy and the company wanted to "restructure". This was Jan 2014. So what is the noise of Buhari this and that for?
You guys have no idea at all how much dollars was passed around during that 2015 elections, no idea at all. After all that please tell me why and how there won't be dollar scarcity? Don't forget this dollars are taken out of the country to foreign bank accounts o.
I still remember the worst fuel scarcity ever in Nigeria which was in April/May 2015. I still remember how almost ALL institutions and companies were shutting down, as in if Nicon hotel, media houses can shut down, then you know that wahala dey. So what's the noise of Buhari this and that for pls?
Abeggi!

Sometimes I wish GEJ won the elections just so we can see how he would have handled falling oil prices in an oil-dependent economy with the massive looting in his administration.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by todayboy: 9:20pm On May 13, 2016
Unstable president always go against his word
73 years old man can not stand by his word
Buhari secretly and criminally devalue the currency

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by citizenisb: 9:21pm On May 13, 2016
A day after the Buhari administration increased the price of the pump price of fuel by 67%, from N86.5 to N145 a liter, our sources disclosed that Mr. Buhari has also agreed to demands by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) that he significantly devalues the Nigerian currency. Our sources indicated that the naira would be pegged at N290 to one dollar. The current official rate is about N200 to a dollar.

Our sources said Mr. Buhari and his economic team took the decision to accept the IMF’s terms for funds that the Nigerian government wants to access to bridge a critical shortfall in revenue occasioned by a drastic decline in oil revenues. An administration insider told SaharaReporters that Nigeria could receive as much as $3 billion in credit facilities from the IMF.

“The truth is that Nigeria cannot operate without sourcing credit from the IMF,” said one of our sources, an economic adviser to Mr. Buhari, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “And the IMF was adamant that we must devalue before they can discuss extending credit to us,” he added.

Curiously, administration officials took the decision to devalue the naira without the input of the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, another source revealed. An official of the CBN confirmed to Saharareporters that bank executives were kept in the dark about the discussions that led to the Buhari administration’s decision to devalue the naira.

“Some of us here [the CBN] are not opposed to devaluation, given our country’s present circumstances,” the source said, adding that it was the CBN’s function to pilot Nigeria’s monetary policies.
Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Oxenomy: 9:23pm On May 13, 2016
You know when I read long "empty" epistles of many APC supporters regarding currency devaluation, I laugh and shake my head for them because of their ignorance of how 21st century international politics is played.. They were here praising and writing all manner of jargon in support of President's stance against devaluation. Don't get me wrong, devaluation does not help our economy in any way, but deceiving your gullible followers that you won't devalue your currency and at the same time, go hand in cap to beg for aids from this western countries is what I term dumbeism1000 ... The reality is that Buhari will govern Nigeria under the whims and caprices of the west and if he refused, by the time they finish dealing with him, Laurent Gbagbo's treatment will be a child's play compared to what they will do to him. This is 2016 of 21st century in democracy(Western System of government) and not 1984..

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by psalmist0203(m): 9:23pm On May 13, 2016
arise o compassion, nigeria score lobey.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by junketer(m): 9:26pm On May 13, 2016
Sweetlemon:
What I don't get is the way people talk as if Buhari is the cause of this present economic woes.
This thing started precisely in late 2013/early 2014. I got a much better job somewhere, a financial house, but was later told that the recruitment was cancelled because of the failing economy and the company wanted to "restructure". This was Jan 2014. So what is the noise of Buhari this and that for?
You guys have no idea at all how much dollars was passed around during that 2015 elections, no idea at all. After all that please tell me why and how there won't be dollar scarcity? Don't forget this dollars are taken out of the country to foreign bank accounts o.
I still remember the worst fuel scarcity ever in Nigeria which was in April/May 2015. I still remember how almost ALL institutions and companies were shutting down, as in if Nicon hotel, media houses can shut down, then you know that wahala dey. So what's the noise of Buhari this and that for pls?
Abeggi!

Sometimes I wish GEJ won the elections just so we can see how he would have handled falling oil prices in an oil-dependent economy with the massive looting in his administration.
and here it is.....the "blame jonathan crew". I was wondering when you'd show up. Zombie

20 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Rose2014: 9:27pm On May 13, 2016
Sweetlemon:
Abeggi!

Someone that promised to make $1 equal N1 has moved us to N290 to a dollar and this what u could type

I feel u dearie. Defending this govt is the hardest job in history. It must suck to be a zombie at this time. I don laff una tire today

cheesy cheesy

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Emekamex(m): 9:29pm On May 13, 2016
The fake "integrity" ascribed to Buhari is hindering him from making fast decisions and thus also translates to the current wave of uncertainty in the Nigerian economy.
He is as corrupt as other politicians or to an extent a lesser degree, the quicker we realize this and stop holding him to high regards, the better for us all.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Rose2014: 9:29pm On May 13, 2016
Someone with a questionable Waec certificate taking us 60 years backward

People deserve te type of leaders they get

Seeing the frustration of zombies on nl and how the 'Sai baba' chanters have gone into hiding makes my day everyday cheesy cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Nobody: 9:29pm On May 13, 2016
If The President drowns in lagoon, hero worshippers and sycophantic Hypocrites would applaud him for drowning even after seeing his lifeless body!

We are in for merry go round.
Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by vivalavida(m): 9:37pm On May 13, 2016
Sweetlemon:
Abeggi!

when people call u southwesterners all sort of names,I don't blame then.
lie that u don't know what caused that fuel scarcity? lie.
marketers were scared the incoming govt won't pay them debts owed them and decided to hold the nation to Ransome. and that was the only time we had fuel scarcity from 2011 when Jonathan took over.

how can u compare that scarcity with this one that has lasted ages and defied all solutions?

hypocrite

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Oxenomy: 9:45pm On May 13, 2016
And the worst part is that Buhari doesn't listen to voice of reason and do things on time, it's only when things has already gotten out of hand, that's when he will still go ahead and do the same thing and by then, the damage has been done and the act will be very irrelevant. Like the saying goes, make hay while the sun shines..

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by Sweetlemon(f): 9:54pm On May 13, 2016
vivalavida:

when people call u southwesterners all sort of names,I don't blame then.
lie that u don't know what caused that fuel scarcity? lie.
marketers were scared the incoming govt won't pay them debts owed them and decided to hold the nation to Ransome. and that was the only time we had fuel scarcity from 2011 when Jonathan took over.

how can u compare that scarcity with this one that has lasted ages and defied all solutions?

hypocrite

Oh shut up! Not every southerner against GEJ is Yoruba. Find a way of getting that into your hopelessly empty skull.

"Marketers were scared" my asss. And did you say that was the only time we had fuel scarcity under GEJ? Seriously! shocked

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Bows To IMF Pressure, To Devalue Naira 290 To Dollar by amtaken(f): 10:03pm On May 13, 2016
Gracias!

Almajiri1:
Where are all those zombies that hailed buhari for switching over to yuan and resisting IMF? They should come and justify this before I start calling them out and resurrecting threads.

cc: amtaken, been a while.

(1) (2) (3)

WAR!!! Militants Tells Residents To Vacate Oil Facilities / What Soyinka Does Not Understand About US Green Card / Ugwuanyi Inaugurates South East Govs’ Committee On Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.