Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,310 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo (800 Views)

Governor El-Rufai Spotted In Economy Class While Travelling From Abuja To Lagos / Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo / Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 4:42pm On May 14, 2016
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo says President Muhammadu Buhari may not do well in economy and foreign affairs, except in military matters.

“Buhari is not a very hot person on the economy and foreign affairs,” Obasanjo said.

The former President stated this on Monday at the third International Conference on African Development Issues — themed, “Driving inclusive and sustainable development in Africa: Models, methods and policies” — organised by Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State.

While reacting to a question posed to him by a member of the audience: “Is there any hope for Nigeria under the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari?”, Obasanjo replied, “Is there any hope for Nigeria under this administration? I came back from Geneva, Switzerland a few days ago to attend a conference titled, ‘Are elections giving democracy a bad name?’ We had an election, we elected a leader and the good thing about democracy is that the power you have to elect a leader is also the power you have to remove him. I am saying this because I said earlier that if you don’t see any leader that has done well in the 56 years of Nigeria’s independence, then let us forget about Nigeria.

“I will tell you what I know and I will tell you what I don’t know. I know Gen. Muhammadu Buhari. He served under me in the military. His characteristics that I know, his behaviour that I know, he has not deviated from them. He was never a perfect man, he is not a perfect man and no leader can ever be a perfect man because they are human beings. But if you read my book, what I said about him is correct. He is not a hot person when it comes to economy. He is not a very hot person when it comes to foreign affairs. But he will do well in matters of military and he will do well in fighting Boko Haram.”

The former president also said he tried his best in fighting corruption, especially in the recovery of funds looted by the late Gen. Sani Abacha and that as of the time he left the government, about $1bn was still to be recovered.

Obasanjo said, “For me, we have no hope if we have no future. I am an optimist as far as Nigeria is concerned. If somebody doesn’t get it all right for now, we will get somebody who will come up and fix whatever is missing. The administration before this had no clue on how to deal with Boko Haram, there is no doubt about that.

“You may not like the way he (Buhari) is fighting corruption. I fought corruption. We recovered over $1.25bn from Abacha and his men. We didn’t make noise. Also, we recovered £100m and about N30m and those who were helping us, the lawyers and the rest said there was still at least $1bn to be recovered at that time. I put it in my handover notes. But rather than encourage scrupulous persons, we had another spate of corruption.”

Obasanjo added that fighting corruption would not be effective if it did not translate to better life for the citizens.

He said, “Fighting corruption is not a one-day or a one-regime affair. If where we left it, they continued, we would have gone far. For me, the questions are: Is corruption being fought? And if it is being fought, is it being effectively fought? Are we getting the desired results? And if we are getting the desired results, what impact is it having on our society and on our nation?”

Other speakers at the event included Nigeria’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Prof. Joy Ogwu, and the Associate Vice-President, Research, McMaster University, Canada, Prof. Bonny Ibhawoh.

They both said if Africa was to experience any development, leaders must match their words or policies with action.

Source:

http://www.punchng.com/buhari-not-sound-economy-foreign-affairs-obasanjo/

Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 4:44pm On May 14, 2016
grin cheesy grin
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by moyinoluwabun(m): 4:46pm On May 14, 2016
Hmmm. Dis one na Open talk from Baba and not open letter. PMB shld sit up ooo
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by Dahkogrin007(m): 4:47pm On May 14, 2016
It is obvious
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by hucienda: 4:47pm On May 14, 2016
lol... this Obasanjo sha...

See as ee use style yab Buhari on economic and foreign affairs...

and the irony is based on current realities in the country, the ex-President is right in his assessment of the current President.
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by bodeloja: 4:48pm On May 14, 2016
I hope the dullard understand that Baba is stating the obvious. grin
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by TonyeBarcanista(m): 4:49pm On May 14, 2016
cheesy cheesy cheesy
“Buhari is not a very hot person on the economy and foreign affairs,” Obasanjo said.

in other words, "Buhari is clueless and incompetent"
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by sewizzy(m): 4:49pm On May 14, 2016
FTC! .....abi na dream ni!
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by dgr8truth(m): 4:49pm On May 14, 2016
The devil that will slap sense into OBJ just left the airport!
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by BeeBeeOoh(m): 4:50pm On May 14, 2016
in other words, Buhari is an untapped Dullard.
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 14, 2016
If military affairs is his forte, then he is better off as the Chief of Defence Staff. A man with a smattering knowledge of the economy cannot be trusted to pull us out of this economic abyss.
It is obvious from his incessant travels that he knows very little about foreign relations. At least he has gone to London to earn us the sobriquet " fantastically corrupt country."
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by Nobody: 4:53pm On May 14, 2016
Yes. We are already aware, following his failure to write Economics exam in his “Waec Certificate”

Zombies knew this, and they still imposed him on Nigerians. The repercussion is really odious to them now.

Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by LadyExcellency: 4:55pm On May 14, 2016
He is not also good in managing talents.

Prof. Osinbajo should be given open hand to consult wide as a leader of the Economic team for an assuring results.

Buhari should give way for people in his cabinet that have experience in democratic governance and diplomacy.

Everything no be by force.
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by 9jii(m): 4:55pm On May 14, 2016
Obj
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by CSTR6: 4:56pm On May 14, 2016
The navigator strikes again. Someone who should have been imprisoned long ago.
Buhari is worthless alright, obasanjo though is a complete degenerate.
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by BeeBeeOoh(m): 4:59pm On May 14, 2016
Obasanjo Is IPOB Elder statesman- Gbawe
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by CSTR6: 4:59pm On May 14, 2016
Btw, is anyone noticing the trend of betrayal and backstabbing. Always the same people and region.
From the 60s and till now. No single shred of honour or loyalty.
God bless the igbo nation.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by Rose2014: 5:00pm On May 14, 2016
Re: Buhari Not Sound In Economy, Foreign Affairs —obasanjo by Mynd44: 5:03pm On May 14, 2016

(1)

President Buhari Cancels Lagos Trip Because Of Ear Infection / SHOCKER: How Goodluck Jonathan’s Cousin Got $40million / What David Cameron Did Not Know About Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.