Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

The Labour Of Our Hero's Past. No Remembrance For Obafemi Awolowo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Labour Of Our Hero's Past. No Remembrance For Obafemi Awolowo (498 Views)

The Unveiling Of The New Chief Obafemi Awolowo Statue By Governor Ambode / Workers Humiliate Saraki, Dogara, Ngige The Labour Minister In Abuja On May Day / Obafemi Awolowo And His Wife On Their Wedding Day In 1937 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Labour Of Our Hero's Past. No Remembrance For Obafemi Awolowo by Psittacus(m): 9:45pm On May 14, 2016
Chief Obafemi Awolowo died on May 9th 1987. Twenty -nine years ago. No remembrance was held on his behalf, no mention of him by the government in the helms of affair, and even all of the south west states. Awolowo was a great man who brought socially desirable development to the south -western region, he his the reason why most people still refers to south western region as a pace setting region. He brought the first TV station in Africa to Southwest, to Ibadan to be precise. And it wasn't only the first in Africa, but 5th in the whole world in 1959. By then Japan and Russia had no Television station. This speaks so much of the ingenious nature of Chief Obafemi Awolowo .
He built the first ultra modern sport center in Africa, that is the Liberty stadium. He introduced minimum wage, the first of its kind in this nation.
A great and wonderful visionary leader, those that are suppose to remember that there was once a great leader, forgot. What are we teaching the next generations? that the labour of our Hero's past are now in vain. Not a good example I must confess. When his wife died, everyone was running around like they cared so much. Here is an hero that is already forgotten.
It is a terrible oversight by this present government. By next year I hope they will safe their face. The Americans will never forget Martin Luther King, and other great leaders, why do we forget so soon in this country?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Labour Of Our Hero's Past. No Remembrance For Obafemi Awolowo by olaitoro(m): 10:22pm On May 14, 2016
ana ekwugheri.

I think yorubas should celebrate him, but he is not a national figure in Nigeria content.

Azikiwe I know
Belewa I know

Awolowo...em em, he belong to the west.
Re: The Labour Of Our Hero's Past. No Remembrance For Obafemi Awolowo by Nobody: 10:34pm On May 14, 2016
We hardly remember his death date... But his 107 posthumous birthday was marked on march 6

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Insult Buhari When You Can't Accept The Office Of A Village Head / Femi Fani-kayode Still Detained Despite Meeting Bail Conditions / ECOWAS Court Orders FG To Justify Dasuki’s Continued Detention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.